• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

I might note, that there are really only two directions the expansion can go, realistically.

First, there's to Ala Mhigo. It's one of the only major regions of Eorzea that we just haven't seen at all. The only problem with Ala Mhigo, is that you pretty much can't move the focus of the story there, without making a confrontation with the Garlean Empire a central focus of the story, and I'm not certain the developers are willing to do that just yet.

The other option, is to leave Eorzea and explore some of the nearby islands. Doma, that academy island that was reduced to ruins by Ultima, (the spell, not the Weapon,) not to mention any of the islands that we've never heard about.

The only problem with the later option, is that it probably won't do much to make Eorzea proper feel bigger. They are going to feel rather isolated from the rest of the map in comparison.

BadRNG

That quote on yearly expansion is for after heavensward starting in 4.0. This expansion is supposed to follow a similar patch cycle as 2.0. Expect the next expansion announced at fanfest and releasing in late winter or early spring. My guess is we will start seeing hints to exact direction we will be going with the expansion sometime closer to E3 time, we didnt get real specific hints about 3.0 expansion till the 2.4 patch after all and aside from interview hints we knew little about the direction of the expansion other then it might be flying oriented and we were going to get more then 1 new job. But we could also deduce that it was ishgard related since they kept pushing back its opening till they said it would be open with a bit 'event'.

The next 4.0 expansion is honestly a true mystery at this point, it can go numerous directions so I am curious if we might start getting hints finally in 3.2.
Actually the patch cycle stuff was about the 3.0 series, this is what I was referring to at least. They already failed the 3months a patch goal so their roadmap may not be trustworthy anymore though.

I'm guessing Ala Mhigo on next expansion, if not there then we probably leaving Eorzea as I think the only two remaining large scale areas left are Ala Mhigo and Garlemald. I do I think the main focus will be on the Empire no matter what, as unless we go to Merycidia I think every other major continent/country is under their control. And I don't know why we'd go to Merycidia since focusing on dragons again would feel like a rehash of Heavensward.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Garlemard isn't even on Eorzea, is it? Far west isn't under their control but only Mamool Is live there and its probably fake American, best leave it.

Squishy3

Garlemard isn't even on Eorzea, is it? Far west isn't under their control but only Mamool Is live there and its probably fake American, best leave it.
WLkBM8D.jpg

I would say that we'll be heading into liberating Ala Mhigo at the end of the 3.x series.
The question is how Yda and Papylymo got there considering their heroic stand was right outside the Sultana's room and they didn't get magicked away by Y'shtola.

BadRNG

Based on the map above I always thought it connected Eorzea to Ilsabard, so not quite Eorzea but close enough, but looking closer seems like it is completely separate and it's just dark water.

I completely forgot there was a western land though. Do we know anything at all about it? Seems like only eastern and southern lands get talked about.

ebil

There's also a lot of recent mentions of Thavnair/Radz-at-Han in the Middle East and many new NPCs/fashion coming from there along with old friends
(F'lhaminn, Hoary Boulder)
going there. I think it'll all converge towards Ala Mhigo though.

The Western Continent has just been discoverd by Merlwyb IIRC?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
All I know about the west is mamools and popotos (actual ones not the lala menace) come from there. Thavnair iirc is actually in Mercydia.

ebil

All I know about the west is mamools and popotos (actual ones not the lala menace) come from there. Thavnair iirc is actually in Mercydia.
Thavnair is supposed to be a small near eastern island while Meracydia is a southern continent though?

I'm actually reading conflicting information while googling that so I'll just bow out for now and go to bed.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Thavnair is supposed to be a small near eastern island while Meracydia is a southern continent though?

I'm actually reading conflicting information while googling that so I'll just bow out for now and go to bed.
Nah you could be right, I'm going off vague remeberance of 1.0 nonsense- radz is definitely on an island either way, hard to tell if it takes more middle East stuff or Indian though (delicious lassi).

WolvenOne

Yes, most of the regions outside of Eorzea and Ishgard are under Garlean control. However, Ala Mhigo is the empires primary foothold in Eorzea. It may be possible to disrupt the empires control of some minor islands without turning it into an active hot war, but there's no way they'd let Ala Mhigo get taken away without bringing every available resource to bare.

Also, yea there's a few other continents out there, but I suspect they'll save those until after all the current storylines have played out. Heading off into an entirely new world is more the sort of thing I'd expect for a major reset, or totally new storyline.

I just got an email from Play-Asia they're cancelling all orders for the Tonberry lamps outside of Japan. I had a nice spot for it, it would have tied the room together :(

I just placed an order for one on a shop via Rakuten after I got the e-mail from Play Asia. Since it's fulfilled from a Japanese based store, I think it will work out. Worried about the shipping cost, though. And the seller wants 2x the Play Asia price...wonder if JP stores found out about this and are now marking up :(

Also...we're finally getting the plush we deserve:
http://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-xiv-extra-large-plush-seor-cactuar/13/709ie5

I just placed an order for one on a shop via Rakuten after I got the e-mail from Play Asia. Since it's fulfilled from a Japanese based store, I think it will work out. Worried about the shipping cost, though. And the seller wants 2x the Play Asia price...wonder if JP stores found out about this and are now marking up :(

Also...we're finally getting the plush we deserve:
http://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-xiv-extra-large-plush-seor-cactuar/13/709ie5

that low quality image is not doing it any favors

Kenai

The question is how Yda and Papylymo got there considering their heroic stand was right outside the Sultana's room and they didn't get magicked away by Y'shtola.

I'm guessing
one of the few loyal Crystal Braves left like the guy tracking the inside job murders (or possibly general friends in the city we don't know about right now like Fabio Lala) helped them sneak away, and since they probably assumed territory borders would be watched, it seems logical to me they'd want to sneak into a place where people are coming and going all the time. It's also unlikely that Little Ala Mihgo would be too compliant with a official search from Uldah

It's also possible Papalymo had something to do with it since he's a Thaum and they have been known to use some forms of warp magic, though I have no idea what is canon considering some of the kooky things Y'shtola and Krile have done.

Valor

Less personal interest in Civ, more eye rolling at the pearl-clutching over engaging in activities at the ungodly hour of 8PM EST.

It's okay, man, I understand. You're getting older and can't keep up with the hours of today's youth.
I have crossed that barrier and have emerged a bitter old man on the other side. I understand you so much better these days.

Sifl

If I want to level a WAR, for cross class stuff can I just get Provoke from GLD and not worry about Awareness?

Caj814

If I want to level a WAR, for cross class stuff can I just get Provoke from GLD and not worry about Awareness?

You'll want to get Awareness eventually since it works so well with Raw Intuition once you learn it post 50.

I usually go with
Flash
Awareness
Internal release
Convalescence
Provoke

Sifl

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll just have to do it if I seriously wanna play WAR, even if I have no desire to play that class. Guess this is how people feel when they gotta lvl LNC for B4B.

xxczx

Provoke, Internal Release + Convalscence are only the three necessary cross class skills for WAR, the last two can be whatever you want. I have Second Wind and Mantra cus lol 120sec cooldown for Awareness.

khaaan

A little while back Square Enix was offering account upgrades for PS3 users that have a PS4, during that time I went through the process and on my MogStation account I can see a service account under "PS4". The problem is that when I went onto PSN today to download the actual game it's telling me that I have to purchase the game. Did I miss out on some additional step?

k1t4j

Ok so it seems that Moogle King extreme, Odin and Ultima weapon are indeed a challenge.

Haven't been able to beat them yet with DF pugs :(. Do they give anything nice or should I stop trying?

Zhao_Yun

Ok so it seems that Moogle King extreme, Odin and Ultima weapon are indeed a challenge.

Haven't been able to beat them yet with DF pugs :(. Do they give anything nice or should I stop trying?

Mog Ex is neccesary to unlock Ramuh and Shiva Ex. The gear that drops from there is not relevant anymore but you might want them for glamour. They also drop different pony mounts. Ultima HM is needed to unlock Alexander Savage if you ever wanted to raid. Odin only gives glamour.

Thorgal

So after learning about how certain macros are bad because of a Dps loss, I am now curious: are there any basic or universal macros that are good?

Also any good ones for DRG?

Okay. So if I stopped playing after completed normal Alexander, would the Dragonsong quest line be the thing to do now?

Majine

Banned
Hi, I'm new to the game but I'm stuck on the black loading screen after you choose data center/region thingie, it's been like this for an hour. Is it downloading an update on this screen, or something?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hi, I'm new to the game but I'm stuck on the black loading screen after you choose data center/region thingie, it's been like this for an hour. Is it downloading an update on this screen, or something?
Did you try restarting the game?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Some weird connection issue maybe? Haven't heard of the game hanging there before.

That's what it sounds like. All the patching is done before the game launches.

*edit* Maybe not? Try this Majine.
I've had the same issue since phase 1, reported it every time, and it's still the same. Quite a few people have had the issue, it basically won't load up the intro movie.
What you need to do (if you're on windows 7), My computer>Documents>My Games>Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn>FFXIV (cfg file)

The FFXIV file can be edited with notepad, scroll down to CutsceneMovieOpening 0

Change the 0 to a 1, and now the option to play the movie appears in the start menu, just hit start and it'll skip the movie and bring you directly to the character selection screen.

Squishy3

A little while back Square Enix was offering account upgrades for PS3 users that have a PS4, during that time I went through the process and on my MogStation account I can see a service account under "PS4". The problem is that when I went onto PSN today to download the actual game it's telling me that I have to purchase the game. Did I miss out on some additional step?
Assuming you own Heavensward, you'd have to buy Heavensward on PS4.

khaaan

Assuming you own Heavensward, you'd have to buy Heavensward on PS4.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was referring to the base game. I bought A Realm Reborn digitally on PS3, then on PC, and then I did an upgrade from the PS3 to the PS4. Here's what I see on PSN and MogStation:
UlUsN8n.png

uZAi4Ek.png

iammeiam

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was referring to the base game. I bought A Realm Reborn digitally on PS3, then on PC, and then I did an upgrade from the PS3 to the PS4. Here's what I see on PSN and MogStation:
UlUsN8n.png

uZAi4Ek.png

If you go into your PS4 library, there should be a download option there.

IIRC I can't download from the store, but can from the library on the main PS4 menu.

BadRNG

So after learning about how certain macros are bad because of a Dps loss, I am now curious: are there any basic or universal macros that are good?

Also any good ones for DRG?
Only macros I can recommend are non-battle skill related. Things like crafting macros, timers (mechanic/pull), etc.

Any time you attach it to an actual battle skill you can run into issues.

Top Bottom