• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

k1t4j

Killed Shiva and got myself some ironworks gear, just missing the accessories.

This set looks pretty sick though

Thorgal

what i pretty much did all evening :

zwLwvv5.png

Allard

Actually the patch cycle stuff was about the 3.0 series, this is what I was referring to at least. They already failed the 3months a patch goal so their roadmap may not be trustworthy anymore though.

I'm guessing Ala Mhigo on next expansion, if not there then we probably leaving Eorzea as I think the only two remaining large scale areas left are Ala Mhigo and Garlemald. I do I think the main focus will be on the Empire no matter what, as unless we go to Merycidia I think every other major continent/country is under their control. And I don't know why we'd go to Merycidia since focusing on dragons again would feel like a rehash of Heavensward.

That is the summary information from reddit which was not translated. The actual translation for the content said Yoshida would certainly like to get expansions out sooner working toward that with 4.0 but still said the patch cycle would be the same as 2.0 in regards to 1 major, 2 minor every 3 to 3.5 months culminating in up to patch 3.5. Since he said the actual distance between the patches would be relatively the same and we are getting patch 3.5 then it holds that amount of time between releasing the next expansion would be the same with maybe it actually releasing a bit earlier after 3.5 compared to the 6 month wait we had going from 2.5 to 3.0.

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/124920-Famitsu-Interview-with-Yoshida-FFXIV-in-2015

Looking for a release cycle appropriate for today's lifestyle

Are you also looking at trends in other MMORPG expansion packs?
Y: I've been watching trends for expansion packs for MMORPGs released around the world, but the number of titles for sale in the first place has dropped. The sale pace of expansion packs might be a problem, so maybe by having the 3.0 series of Heavensward a bit shorter, we could move up to the 4.0 series earlier than we originally planned.

For the expansion packs for A Realm Reborn, do you have a model case for the release cycle that you're going by for their development?
Y: No, nothing like that, we think we should follow the play cycle and life cycle of our customers. It wasn't so long ago that the amount of entertainment choices around were more limited and people had more free time on their hands so there was more time for things like MMORPGs. Right now, with all of the different entertainment options available and limited amounts of free time, not to say that there's no room for fun, but it's tougher to decide how to spend your free time. Since a game is entertainment, you have to feel that way when you play it. However, a game isn't passive entertainment, it's entertainment that you get from your own actions, so it takes some time before you get the satisfaction from playing. These days, if you feel like you dont have enough time for the game, you'd probably wind up deciding to never try it out in the first place. Taking that into account, rather than spending a lot of development time preparing a large volume of content, it might be better to prepare the next expansion in a relatively shorter amount of time, with the thought that it might be better to have a more episodic nature which better matches today's lifestyle. In the past, people were able to wait and look forward the launch of expansion packs every two years, but I don't think that fits well anymore. That said, since Heavensward was our first expansion pack, we felt that we had to prioritize really building it out rather than getting it out quickly.

Large-scale patches will continue releasing every three months in the future.

After the release of Heavensward in spring 2015, will the time between patches remain the same or change?
Y: I don't think there would be much benefit to changing it. Taking minor patches into account, we'd like to add as much as possible every month, but I don't think we'd be able to shorten the interval of major updates any shorter than it currently is without reducing the volume. Reducing the interval of the major patches by reducing the volume doesn't make much sense so we have no plans to change that cycle at the moment. Our plan is to continue to release a major update every three to three and a half months and have two small updates released between them.

What about the patches in between?
Y: To be honest, the current pattern of releasing two content updates between each large patch is still one that we're barely getting out in time. I've been wondering if there is a way we can adjust this so that we have a more reasonable development cycle.

At the Fan Festival held in Japan in 2014, we heard you mention patch 3.1 for the first time. Any more on that now?
Y: I've been intentionally avoiding talking about it, I'd like to stay away from that topic (laughs).

But you have said that you already have the road map for the patch 3.0 series completed.
Y: We have the story roughed out and the content conceptualized for up to about patch 3.5, I think.

So the patch 3.0 series won't be completed in 2015?
Y: That would be impossible (laughs). Earlier I mentioned that we wouldn't be changing the pace of updates, so if you figure when Heavensward is being released... you might be able to imagine how long it would take.

k1t4j

what i pretty much did all evening :

zwLwvv5.png

That's funny because everytime I have a Dragoon in my party they all seem to be doing that sum thrust thing lol.

Still mad about that.

Why would you do that, such a cool character seriously and that silly, good for nothing Yda still thrashes about.....meh.

Also the story arc of Ishgard is getting super interesting, not sure who is right or wrong in that conflict. But if history has taught me anything is that, if religion is involved that is probably where the fault lies.

Have to mention I love my pet Midgarsomrs and the way he sits on my shoulder is super cool :D (just discovered this)

The 16yold in me wants to comment the following: Upon seeing Shiva I can kinda understand why Dragons would want to tap that :p

Squishy3

That's funny because overtime I have a Dragoon in my party they all seem to be doing that sum thrust thing lol.
In any content where you don't have access to true thrust->vorpal thrust->full thrust it's more efficient to press impulse drive over and over while reapplying heavy thrust whenever it's about to run out. It's 10 less potency to use true thrust->vorpal thrust than using impulse drive twice.

In short it lets you be as lazy as possible because you only need to hit 2 buttons and the math backs it up

BadRNG

LNC has to be one of the worst designed classes leveling wise. The order you get skills just doesn't make sense and it's pretty boring to play because of it.

Since he said the actual distance between the patches would be relatively the same and we are getting patch 3.5 then it holds that amount of time between releasing the next expansion would be the same with maybe it actually releasing a bit earlier after 3.5 compared to the 6 month wait we had going from 2.5 to 3.0.

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/124920-Famitsu-Interview-with-Yoshida-FFXIV-in-2015
Right, the distance between patches would be the same, but not necessarily the expansion itself. The 6 month wait would be where they cut/shortened the most, while eliminating the delays we saw on some of the 2.x stuff. In the very part you quoted he says the 2 year per expansion thing is not a good idea anymore, they made an exception because it was the first one. Combine that with comments about perhaps moving on to 4.0 faster(which are indeed less definitive then the reddit post made it out to be), and I don't know how you read that thinking 3.0 to 4.0 will be same length as 2.0 to 3.0, with any speed changes coming 4.0 > 5.0 on wards. Pretty much that whole section seemed to be about wanting to get the future expansions out faster but with similar planned patch update cycles.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
After a Duty is complete someone will type "jg". What does it stand for? I assume it means "thanks for not being a moron"

iammeiam

gauss barrel feels so weird

This is why you should have leveled bard.

No GB -> GB = "What in the hell is this?"

Minuet -> GB = "Ohhh, that's what this was supposed to be like."

Learn to love your ammo, procs, and Rapid Fire. I spent most of my post-50 MCH leveling experience laughing at how often I got to skip cast times after bowmage. It's hard to appreciate how well it fits together in the context of the game's combat system without also seeing it implemented absolutely horribly.

This is why you should have leveled bard.

No GB -> GB = "What in the hell is this?"

Minuet -> GB = "Ohhh, that's what this was supposed to be like."

Learn to love your ammo, procs, and Rapid Fire. I spent most of my post-50 MCH leveling experience laughing at how often I got to skip cast times after bowmage. It's hard to appreciate how well it fits together in the context of the game's combat system without also seeing it implemented absolutely horribly.

oh no I can definitely see the benefits and upsides compared to BRD. As soon as you realise you can move with a proc it's like... "ooooooooh. wait, why did they put this on BRD wtf? that class isn't made for this".

It's just a little jarring having levelled it all the way to 52 and then sudden change.

also BRD is a fucking snoozefest, not bothering with that shitty class.

My one gripe is that sometimes the time between proc and next GCD after using a skill with a cast time can cut a little close. Definitely had a couple of times where after using Split Shot the proc for Slug was delayed and had already committed to split shotting again.

Allard

LNC has to be one of the worst designed classes leveling wise. The order you get skills just doesn't make sense and it's pretty boring to play because of it.

Right, the distance between patches would be the same, but not necessarily the expansion itself. The 6 month wait would be where they cut/shortened the most, while eliminating the delays we saw on some of the 2.x stuff. In the very part you quoted he says the 2 year per expansion thing is not a good idea anymore, they made an exception because it was the first one. Combine that with comments about perhaps moving on to 4.0 faster(which are indeed less definitive then the reddit post made it out to be), and I don't know how you read that thinking 3.0 to 4.0 will be same length as 2.0 to 3.0, with any speed changes coming 4.0 > 5.0 on wards. Pretty much that whole section seemed to be about wanting to get the future expansions out faster but with similar planned patch update cycles.

The bolded quote said the amount of time between patches was the same, the amount of patches is the same, he even said look at those two things and guess when the next expansion launches. He acknowledged the need to speed it up, so the only line between that means the amount of time between 3.5 and 4.0 would not be as long of time. He didnt however explicitly say he wanted 1 year patch cycle for 3.0, that is not what he said and what I was refuting.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why would you do that, such a cool character seriously and that silly, good for nothing Yda still thrashes about.....meh.
You can't just turn around and talk shit about Yda. Her and Papalymo are two of my favorite characters.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My one gripe is that sometimes the time between proc and next GCD after using a skill with a cast time can cut a little close. Definitely had a couple of times where after using Split Shot the proc for Slug was delayed and had already committed to split shotting again.
BLMs have this issue as well. It sucks.

I was just thinking about how much I like FFXIV's overall aesthetic. In terms of the world, lore, and NPCs. It feels like a well realized world.

There's also the little touches like NPC dialogue changing depending on where you are in the story. Animation fidelity, I remember being amazed at how good the running/sprinting animations were when I first started playing this. The way your character's head turns to face whatever you're targeting, the facial expressions, the flavourful dialogue, etc.

There's a lot of little touches that eventually add up to create one of the best experiences I've had in terms of navigating an MMO world.

MechaX

That's funny because everytime I have a Dragoon in my party they all seem to be doing that sum thrust thing lol.

As some others have mentioned, early level dragoon/lancer is really stupid.

If you don't have Full Thrust unlocked, you'll probably end up doing more damage spamming Impulse Drive (and even using Life Surge on an Impulse Drive).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
tbh I can't take people who think post-WM bard is well-designed seriously

Iron Jaws is great.
Castbars are whatever.
The problem is Empyreal Arrow but for a 660 potency attack I don't even care.

The only thing that's real trash is Paean.
We can make this our new PLD vs WAR, guys.

Ken

I did the LoV tutorial tonight. Didn't seem like much fun :(

There's some cute fights like recreations of Tam Tara and Copperbell Mine bosses, and the T13 Verminion fight is really good. You can stomp through most of the challenges with like 3 minions though (Kidragora, W-U Gentleman, and W-U Louisoux or WoL WHM. Yugiri is nice too for burning down bosses like in Odin fight.)

I've enjoyed the few multiplayer matches I've had so far. It's a pretty stripped down RTS with most of the depth coming from unit selection but I think that's fine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
tbh I can't take people who think post-WM bard is well-designed seriously

It's a trash design ripped from Machinist because they couldn't let one physical range be a caster and one not because reasons.

And yeah, Paean is worthless.
If you like 3.0 bard, cool but it doesn't mean others can't dislike it and criticize its problems.

I'm beginning to think I should probably use a controller when gathering. Provided it doesn't mess with my current keybindings while switching between from and back to kb/m.

Isaccard

It's a trash design ripped from Machinist because they couldn't let one physical range be a caster and one not because reasons.

And yeah, Paean is worthless.
If you like 3.0 bard, cool but it doesn't mean others can't dislike it and criticize its problems. respond with lol and dismiss would could have been a discussion about the job

Fixed that for you

iammeiam

Fixed that for you

I feel like I gave "ITT people who don't understand bard" roughly the level of consideration and in-depth response it deserved.

I can go back and pull up my previous giant walls of text (from back when people decrying Minuet now were still defending it, even), but it's kind of silly to pretend it started as good-faith conversation fodder when it was a derisive response to an ongoing discussion

scy

...i just got my bard job >_>.

Well I know going in what its like. If i don't like it I'll probably just swap to ninja

For what it's worth, if you don't have much experience with pre-3.0 Bard, you might not miss the old one just from leveling? Maybe? I didn't Bard at all really pre-3.0 so most the big issues with it, at least personally, is less so much the change / "caster!" but it has a lot of off-global cooldown abilities to use that don't play nicely with cast bars. From a min/max perspective, it's a lot of awkward watching buttons you push cause a loss of damage due to how those interact; much of their priority system comes down to minimizing loss of damage rather than outright maximizing damage dealt.

basically technical problems, it's clunky

Omni

Doing level 50 content on a Bard is the worst. If you're gonna give me cast times that meddle everything up, at least make it consistent across all levels.

Slightly related but not really:

Got my Thordan weapon! Well... I've been healing Thordan and haven't got a WHM cane yet, but I rolled greed on this and I'm happy. Just a few more clears and then I'll buy it. Not sure if I'll bother with the Barding (however cool it may look)

Guess Who

Banned
Fixed that for you

I mean, the changes 3.0 introduced to bard have been pretty well discussed and documented by now, there's not exactly a whole lot of new ground to cover. People's opinions have already been formed at this point and internet debates don't tend to change a lot of minds.

For what it's worth, if you don't have much experience with pre-3.0 Bard, you might not miss the old one just from leveling? Maybe? I didn't Bard at all really pre-3.0 so most the big issues with it, at least personally, is less so much the change / "caster!" but it has a lot of off-global cooldown abilities to use that don't play nicely with cast bars. From a min/max perspective, it's a lot of awkward watching buttons you push cause a loss of damage due to how those interact; much of their priority system comes down to minimizing loss of damage rather than outright maximizing damage dealt.

basically technical problems, it's clunky

yeah im aware they turn into casters basically. I'm not really going to try to min/max. I did that during WoW TBC/Wrath and was in a top guild before as a ret pally for sunwell and arms warrior for wrath. Got so burnt from it that I quit MMOs basically

Just looking to do some normal raiding and maybe try some of the harder stuff casually if I happen to be good and geared enough.

scy

yeah im aware they turn into casters basically. I'm not really going to try to min/max. I did that during WoW TBC/Wrath and was in a top guild before as a ret pally for sunwell and arms warrior for wrath. Got so burnt from it that I quit MMOs basically

Just looking to do some normal raiding and maybe try some of the harder stuff casually if I happen to be good and geared enough.

I say min/max but I don't mean like pushing world first stuff. Just in terms of their proper rotation (/priority system, not so much a rotation for Bard) will be a lot of awkward clipping that's kind of annoying due to the clunkiness of it. It may make more sense when you get your hands on it or it may not bother you at all.

Baleoce

Gonna try and reignite interest in this game for myself. I'm a BRD main, but am looking to switch it up. I toyed with the idea of other DPS, but I want something with a bit more responsibility. I have ACN leveled via SMN, but I'm thinking of going back through every dungeon from scratch on SCH to try and learn that organically, and hopefully learn to appreciate a different side of the game. I actually started out as a PLD at 2.0 launch. I might return to that one day as well.

Ken

Gonna try and reignite interest in this game for myself. I'm a BRD main, but am looking to switch it up. I toyed with the idea of other DPS, but I want something with a bit more responsibility. I have ACN leveled via SMN, but I'm thinking of going back through every dungeon from scratch on SCH to try and learn that organically, and hopefully learn to appreciate a different side of the game. I actually started out as a PLD at 2.0 launch. I might return to that one day as well.

Not really sure what going through every dungeon on SCH would do for learning that just throwing yourself into trials or level-cap dungeons wouldn't. I'd just swap to SCH and start healing level 60 stuff. Obviously take a moment to read up on stuff but I find it a better use of time to play a job with their full kit than not.

But yeah, a good way to reignite interest is to just do different or new things.

Like Verminion.

Top Bottom