• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

I'm a Bard and the level 50 quest The Gifted is kicking my butt (where you follow the white robed ascian). Any tips? Did anyone else have a hard time with this quest?

k1t4j

So I just unlocked the Heavenward content and my god the stuff that went down was crazy.

I was super pissed at the screen and creaming internally, let me fight them god dammit!!!!
I'll take you all on.

Please tell me
the scions are ok, I don't want to too many spoilers though. That's why I won't google it but it's killing me I need to know :p

Where do I grab my new paladin skills? I see no paladin trainer in the city, do I go back to Ul'dah? I am 55 at the moment.

creid

Where do I grab my new paladin skills? I see no paladin trainer in the city, do I go back to Ul'dah? I am 55 at the moment.
Go back to the job trainer in Ul'dah, that should lead you to new job quests at 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60.

k1t4j

Day 4 of Odin and Ravishan is already in trouble for hitting on someone's Catboyfriend.

You guys on Odin? me too Kitaj El'Shadai is my character's name :D

Go back to the job trainer in Ul'dah, that should lead you to new job quests at 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60.

Thanks mate I found it, I went there every 2 levels after 50 but it mist have unlocked when I reached Ishgard.

iammeiam

Because it's probably going to come up eventually, A4S Mount Count by server.

This is a considerably worse metric to judge by than Louisoix was for T13, because it's 1 per group per clear and not 1 per player per clear. The number is definitely under since depending on how long a given group's been clearing they'll represent between 1 and 8 mounts, and it's possible for 1-chest clears to not count at all if they got the weapon chest. Ultros actual clear count is at least 70, even though we're listed at 28.

It's still somewhat useful to see how servers rank relative to each other, but is unfortunately not a great way to gauge actual clears (I really wish A3S gave a minion or something, too--I'd like to see how much of the population that got 3 also got 4 vs gave up.)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Seen waaaayyy too many people using the mount count as the actual clear count. The clear percentages are likely unchanged by much, but the clear count is higher than many people seem to think it is after looking at that.

iammeiam

Seen waaaayyy too many people using the mount count as the actual clear count. The clear percentages are likely unchanged by much, but the clear count is higher than many people seem to think it is after looking at that.

Which is weird unless they think a people on Zodiark 4-manned it or all transferred off to buy it and then back.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys and gals. Does anyone know how to write a macro? I'm interested in writing a macro for my Bard to perform buffs. But I don't know how to write it. I want to perform 3 buffs - Internal Release, Featherfoot, and Hawk's Eye in one macro. These buffs enhance my critical hit, speed, and DEX.

aceface

Hey guys and gals. Does anyone know how to write a macro? I'm interested in writing a macro for my Bard to perform buffs. But I don't know how to write it. I want to perform 3 buffs - Internal Release, Featherfoot, and Hawk's Eye in one macro. These buffs enhance my critical hit, speed, and DEX.

If there's one thing I've learned in my many years of reading this thread it's don't do this!!!

iammeiam

If there's one thing I've learned in my many years of reading this thread it's don't do this!!!

Yup. The short answer is don't do this.

Even if you were going to macro, these three skills make no sense to macro together. Featherfoot is a purely defensive buff (increases your evasion) that you'd only pop when being attacked and has nothing to do with the other two.

Internal Release is on a 60 second Cooldown timer and Hawk's Eye is 90 seconds, so you will activate both at close to the same time on pull but they become staggered after that. Macroing them together is a mistake for a number of reasons, but the most obvious one at this point is that you don't use them together every time.

You used to be able to get away with macroing Hawk's Eye and Blood For Blood together (since you hold B4B for HE every time), but even that's sloppy now with cast times since you can't double oGCD.

The only good macro is the Flaming Arrow macro due to the way FA and cast times work together like motor oil and peanut butter:

/micon "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"

lets you fake queueing FA if you hit it at the end of the cast.

IF YOU INSIST on macroing (seriously, don't do this. Please. Please don't.), the above is basically how it works. /ac "Skill Name" and it will fire off the lines all at once. add a <wait.1> to the end of the line if you want it to fire off lines sequentially; without the wait it'll usually do the first thing and then fail to do all the other ones because you're animation locked. However, the waits are full second waits. With a cast time you don't have multiple full seconds in between GCDs, so it's a bad fit (it's always been bad, but in the post-Minuet world it's worse.)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. The short answer is don't do this.

Even if you were going to macro, these three skills make no sense to macro together. Featherfoot is a purely defensive buff (increases your evasion) that you'd only pop when being attacked and has nothing to do with the other two.

Internal Release is on a 60 second Cooldown timer and Hawk's Eye is 90 seconds, so you will activate both at close to the same time on pull but they become staggered after that. Macroing them together is a mistake for a number of reasons, but the most obvious one at this point is that you don't use them together every time.

You used to be able to get away with macroing Hawk's Eye and Blood For Blood together (since you hold B4B for HE every time), but even that's sloppy now with cast times since you can't double oGCD.

The only good macro is the Flaming Arrow macro due to the way FA and cast times work together like motor oil and peanut butter:

/micon "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"
/ac "Flaming Arrow"

lets you fake queueing FA if you hit it at the end of the cast.

IF YOU INSIST on macroing (seriously, don't do this. Please. Please don't.), the above is basically how it works. /ac "Skill Name" and it will fire off the lines all at once. add a <wait.1> to the end of the line if you want it to fire off lines sequentially; without the wait it'll usually do the first thing and then fail to do all the other ones because you're animation locked. However, the waits are full second waits. With a cast time you don't have multiple full seconds in between GCDs, so it's a bad fit (it's always been bad, but in the post-Minuet world it's worse.)

I really appreciate the tip. I understand that Bard is a support role and I don't want to let my party down. I usually try to buff my party at the beginning with Swiftsong and debuff a group of enemies using Foe Requiem. Then buff myself. I'm level 50. But I'm only at lvl 33 story quests. I won't be using macros. And I appreciate any other advice y'all have.

Thank you.

iammeiam

I really appreciate the tip. I understand that Bard is a support role and I don't want to let my party down. I usually try to buff my party at the beginning with Swiftsong and debuff a group of enemies using Foe Requiem. Then buff myself. I'm level 50. But I'm only at lvl 33 story quests. I won't be using macros. And I appreciate any other advice y'all have.

Thank you.

If you want a giant overwhelming wall of text, this is the go-to How To Bard guide of the moment.

A lot of it won't make sense and a lot of it you won't have access to yet, but it's a good thing to have handy for eventually. As you get into later content you'll run into situations where you need to use your buffs multiple times during the fight, so that can be handy to have.

Most important thing is willingness to learn, though, so you're off to a really solid start.

Ken

I remember back when you scoffed at Verminion

I didn't even enter Verminion until this week!

let's play

Out of curiosity I checked my post history for Verminion and LoV and I didn't scoff at it much at all!

new Mogtalk is out
Guests: Blizzana and ShamanArkk
MogTalk: Episode 46 - Building & Leading Statics

Ark's ok. Don't know much about Blizzana. Do these guys have an iTunes feed? Oh they do but you search for FrostyTV and not Mogtalk.

I understand that Bard is a support role

Eh, they're first and foremost a DPS. Bringing up "support role" often seems like a way for players to write off or justify their own low DPS as something intrinsic to the job. Not to say you're doing that but just a thought.

sensui-tomo

So my friends were able to pull me back into playing this game and man am i loving it now (some reason i didnt feel it the last time) So this brings me to a question which i didnt see on the main page. Is there a way to make the keyboard useful for this game? (we usually chat via discord and whatnot so typing to chat doesnt suit me much) since i'd like to be able to get things done more effectively, I've really never played mmos much (i do understand roles and whatnot) but keybinds and that stuff usually goes over my head, i've been switching on and off arcanist (going to be summoner) and Con (going to be a WHM ) depending on our group setup since i feel like Arcanist feels like a Debuff/support like class (while doing good damage)
To sum it up, is there a guide or anything so i can set up a keyboard on the ps4 and be effective in playing with my friends while also using controller?

Ken

So my friends were able to pull me back into playing this game and man am i loving it now (some reason i didnt feel it the last time) So this brings me to a question which i didnt see on the main page. Is there a way to make the keyboard useful for this game? (we usually chat via discord and whatnot so typing to chat doesnt suit me much) since i'd like to be able to get things done more effectively, I've really never played mmos much (i do understand roles and whatnot) but keybinds and that stuff usually goes over my head, i've been switching on and off arcanist (going to be summoner) and Con (going to be a WHM ) depending on our group setup since i feel like Arcanist feels like a Debuff/support like class (while doing good damage)
To sum it up, is there a guide or anything so i can set up a keyboard on the ps4 and be effective in playing with my friends while also using controller?

I played on controller and had a keyboard for communication only. I'd imagine it'd be a giant pain trying to hit a keyboard bound cooldown while having hands on controller. Controller was sufficient enough on its own, but I'm not really sure what you're asking.

sensui-tomo

I played on controller and had a keyboard for communication only. Controller was sufficient enough on its own, but I'm not really sure what you're asking.

oh, i thought there was a way to use all of the keyboard to use different attacks outside of the 8 on each shoulder button. (like pressing W would activate Cure or something) if thats even possible.
basically using a keyboard as attacks or whatever while using controller to aim/move

Ken

oh, i thought there was a way to use all of the keyboard to use different attacks outside of the 8 on each shoulder button. (like pressing W would activate Cure or something) if thats even possible.
basically using a keyboard as attacks or whatever while using controller to aim/move

You could but that sounds really inefficient, versus just doing all your attacks on controller. You'd also have one hand off the controller so you could only move OR aim. You might be overthinking the utility of a keyboard with controller.

Have you dug into expanded hold controls? That gives you another 16 crossbar slots to use.

maxresdefault.jpg

sensui-tomo

You could but that sounds really inefficient, versus just doing all your attacks on controller. You'd also have one hand off the controller so you could only move OR aim. You might be overthinking the utility of a keyboard with controller.

Have you dug into expanded hold controls? That gives you another 16 crossbar slots to use.

Thanks for that info, didnt know that was an option. I'll see if that works for me. Thanks for the tidbit.

dramatis

I didn't even enter Verminion until this week!

let's play

Out of curiosity I checked my post history for Verminion and LoV and I didn't scoff at it much at all!
The days when I said I'm playing Verminion in game and your answer was

zZzz

Like always

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, they're first and foremost a DPS. Bringing up "support role" often seems like a way for players to write off or justify their own low DPS as something intrinsic to the job. Not to say you're doing that but just a thought.

Oh trust me. I have no problem being out in front to take pressure off the tank. Blood For Blood is my go to buff.

Arizato

Seems like EU datacenter has just gone down. Was disconnected during last boss in Castrum and can't log in anymore. People can't access EU servers.

KuroNeeko

A Japanese site posted these census numbers taken from lodestone recently. I believed the rankings here are based on lv. 60 players. http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/luckybancho/imgs/0/1/015a1b82.png

It seems like the number of people logging on the GAF FC has been down, especially during the week, but I'm still seeing way more pf's especially since relic started.

That graph shows story progression based on server. The number in the first column represents Active players. Ultros is slightly higher (16k) vs. Sar (15k).

My crappy JP server only has like 8k. Maybe I should switch before I advance too far but aleady feels like too much work with just a handful of classes at 10-15. Not sure if its worth the gold spammers though.

Top Bottom