• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

seems like something up your alley ken

WN0GwOk.png

I hope I get invited to the EB

k1t4j

I love my lv 54 paladin, but Dark Knight sure feels great to me.

I go it to lv 33 before realizing it just by doing Dungeons runs of Haukke and Brayflox.

Not sure if I should continue HW story with my paladin (stopped shortly after getting to know the town quest) or level DK back to 50 and pick up where I left off.

Decisions, decisions :D

Ken

You get double XP now when you level a job to 50 while having a higher level job than your current.

The Armory Bonus is additional experience granted to any combat class you have that is NOT your highest level class. From levels 1-49, you receive +100% additional experience for secondary classes that are lower level than your highest level character. At level 50, this bonus decreases to only 50%.

aceface

Guys we all missed this megaton from the last 4gamer interview:

How was it at TGS 2015 where you showed the Titan primal battle on VR?

Yoshida: Even though FFXIV is multiplayer, the original framerate of the game is variable, but we had to fix it to 60 FPS. It would actually be better if we could raise that up to 120 FPS, but that would have taken a lot of work that we didn't have time for.

So it's necessary to do extra work for VR.

Yoshida: We could prepare a place like the Hall of VR. To enter the Hall of VR, please pay a separate monthly fee (laughs).

Players might do that for VR Miqo'te.

Yoshida: But if you want to call your favorite Miqo'te, it requires a separate nominal fee (laughs).

Yoshida is a moneymaking genius.

Can't wait for Lord of Miqo'te VR.

IvorB

I'm kind of intrigued about what; there's the vomit, but half the time some whm gets killed by it so I assumed that ranged had to learn to deal with that as well? Same with the tentacle nonsense. I know Echidna has some extra anti-melee aoes, though.

It wasn't the tentacles because I knew about that. One was definitely the vomit. I don't know what those healers were doing because I am nowhere near that when I play black mage. The other deaths I don't really remember. I also couldn't really see anything. I tried to zoom out a bit but visibility was poor. I still need to figure out what I am doing about the camera position when I play melee, especially when there's lots of other players with all their effects going off.

Went in blind on MNK last weekend and made a total ass of myself on the octopus fight. There were times I was just a split second late getting on the platform and died ON the platform. Also as I was doing my positionals it would always turn in my direction and vomit all over me before I could get away. Final boss was a picnic compared to that.

Yeah the other bosses were pretty straight forward but that guy was rough.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't the tentacles because I knew about that. One was definitely the vomit. I don't know what those healers were doing because I am nowhere near that when I play black mage. The other deaths I don't really remember. I also couldn't really see anything. I tried to zoom out a bit but visibility was poor. I still need to figure out what I am doing about the camera position when I play melee, especially when there's lots of other players with all their effects going off.

There's camera option where you can mess with the height and angle I know that- I messed around with them in t13 to get more of the arena in view.

iammeiam

So this struck me as kind of odd:

When Heavensward (patch 3.0) was released, the experience value for quests in A Realm Reborn (patch 2.X series) was increased to enable players to reach Ishgard more quickly. How quickly do you think players can get to Ishgard?

Yoshida: It's still about the length of a stand-alone RPG. It should take about 18 hours to get through A Realm Reborn to level 50, and then about 10 hours to get through patches 2.1 to 2.55. As the quest rewards from those will bring you up to item level 115, you'll then be immediately ready for Ishgard.

The post game patch stuff sounds about right, but 18 hours from zero to fifty seems incredibly fast to me.

Also I'm super curious to know how they came up with the Savage DPS checks since he reiterates his 0 healer DPS/tank autos and threat combos only stance for tuning.

Thorgal

i did find a Useful Macro for when you are the tank :

/p !!!PULLING IN 8!!! <se.8> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 7!!! <se.7> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 6!!! <se.6> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 5!!! <se.5> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 4!!! <se.4> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 3!!! <se.3> <wait.1>
/mk attack3 <t>
/p !!!PULLING IN 2!!! <se.2> <wait.1>
/mk attack2 <t>
/p !!!PULLING IN 1!!! <se.1> <wait.1>
/mk attack1 <t>
/p !!!PULLING NOW!!! <se.1><se.2><se.3><se.4><se.5> <wait.1>

xxczx

I don't think an 8 second macro will be useful outside anywhere other than raid type settings.

In dungeon, I just go nonstop til a DPS asks me to wait or something. No point standing around!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yoshida showed up on that weekly Nvidia-sponsored LP show they're still doing.
It is mildly amusing hearing him explain the concept of a tank swap when they attempted Ultima's Bane.

Marvelous

Been playing this game for about a week and I'm not sure which class to really focus on. I'm not high level at all (18) but I don't want to keep switching classes during the free trial period lol. Right now I'm an arcanist but I'm also interested in becoming a gladiator/paladin.

Are paladins pretty good overall? Or will I be better off just continuing on the scholar path for now?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing this game for about a week and I'm not sure which class to really focus on. I'm not high level at all (18) but I don't want to keep switching classes during the free trial period lol. Right now I'm an arcanist but I'm also interested in becoming a gladiator/paladin.

Are paladins pretty good overall? Or will I be better off just continuing on the scholar path for now?

They're probably the weakest tank at the moment, but that's only for 60 stuff.
PLDs are fine for levelling and balance will probably look very different whenever you reach max level. Play what you want!

IvorB

There's camera option where you can mess with the height and angle I know that- I messed around with them in t13 to get more of the arena in view.

Yeah I need to look into it. My regular is fine for most stuff but when there's lots of players I get drowned in all the sparkles.

i did find a Useful Macro for when you are the tank :

/p !!!PULLING IN 8!!! <se.8> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 7!!! <se.7> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 6!!! <se.6> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 5!!! <se.5> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 4!!! <se.4> <wait.1>
/p !!!PULLING IN 3!!! <se.3> <wait.1>
/mk attack3 <t>
/p !!!PULLING IN 2!!! <se.2> <wait.1>
/mk attack2 <t>
/p !!!PULLING IN 1!!! <se.1> <wait.1>
/mk attack1 <t>
/p !!!PULLING NOW!!! <se.1><se.2><se.3><se.4><se.5> <wait.1>

Or you could just do a ready check.

Marvelous

They're probably the weakest tank at the moment, but that's only for 60 stuff.
PLDs are fine for levelling and balance will probably look very different whenever you reach max level. Play what you want!

There's going to be a balance change coming up soon or just that it'll take a looong time to reach level 60? Lol.

Guess I'll give it a shot. Should I become a marauder first to get certain skills or no? I've been trying to read up on this stuff... >.<

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Several classes have openers requiring execution of commands before pull, such as NIN having Mudra recast timer at a certain point to apply Trick Attack early on and align the rest properly, or MCH/BRD prebuffing, it'll also let your SCH get more mileage out of pre-pull Galvanize, that's the point of the pull macro. It's not a big deal for dungeons of course, but if the instance is just one boss you may as well bother, who knows, maybe the DPS you've got know what they're doing for once.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
There's going to be a balance change coming up soon or just that it'll take a looong time to reach level 60? Lol.

Guess I'll give it a shot. Should I become a marauder first to get certain skills or no? I've been trying to read up on this stuff... >.<

There's usually balance changes with big patches. And also probably the latter!

Gladiator's probably the most complete tank out of the box- you don't really 'need' too many cross class skills with it. Stoneskin and Protect from Conjurer's good, as is a bunch of Marauder stuff, but it's not strictly speaking 'necessary' (unlike other tanks who need Gladiator's Provoke).

iammeiam

Both is ideal.

I have like five seconds of crap I need to hit before a pull to do my opener. A ready check followed by a pull macro is fantastic. It's not mandatory for DF content, but it's nice to have and a good habit to get in to because you absolutely should have one for serious content.

It also greatly increases the chances I will remember to Quelling for PUG tanks.

Marvelous

There's usually balance changes with big patches. And also probably the latter!

Gladiator's probably the most complete tank out of the box- you don't really 'need' too many cross class skills with it. Stoneskin and Protect from Conjurer's good, as is a bunch of Marauder stuff, but it's not strictly speaking 'necessary' (unlike other tanks who need Gladiator's Provoke).

Thanks.
Now as for leveling new classes in general... is it better to do so after you have a high level job class? Or does it not really matter much?

Jaeyden

If you're on the demo, I think level 20 is the max anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so if you have extra time...why not roll another class?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I have the full game. I'm on the initial 30 day trial thingie.

It doesn't matter too much when you level them then- just any classes lower levelled than your highest battle class is going to get an XP bonus so don't keep a bunch of classes at your highest level at once. Also, if you decide to sub for another month, hit up someone in here for their referral code first; you get some free stuff and they get 1/3 of the way to a dumb dragon mount.

Marvelous

It doesn't matter too much when you level them then- just any classes lower levelled than your highest battle class is going to get an XP bonus so don't keep a bunch of classes at your highest level at once. Also, if you decide to sub for another month, hit up someone in here for their referral code first; you get some free stuff and they get 1/3 of the way to a dumb dragon mount.

Alright, thanks buddy. :)
I'll continue on the current path since I'm still enjoying it and will eventually try out the tank class.

And I'll be sure to ask for a referral code when I sub again. I'm really liking this game. I should probably get a keyboard for my PS4 too, lol.

TalonJH

Alright, thanks buddy. :)
I'll continue on the current path since I'm still enjoying it and will eventually try out the tank class.

And I'll be sure to ask for a referral code when I sub again. I'm really liking this game. I should probably get a keyboard for my PS4 too, lol.

It's pretty important for chat alone. Also, you'll have the option of going full M/KB in the future if you like.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I was discussing the in game economics of FFXIV with a friend of mine. He's been playing MMOs for at least a decade. I thought carpentry would be a good source of gil. But it literally takes all my gil to make the higher level stuff. And people usually can get that themselves through quests. However, people need raw materials to make things. I think I will start botany, mining, or culinary. In your opinion what's a good job that creates wealth?

ubercheez

So this struck me as kind of odd:

The post game patch stuff sounds about right, but 18 hours from zero to fifty seems incredibly fast to me.

Also I'm super curious to know how they came up with the Savage DPS checks since he reiterates his 0 healer DPS/tank autos and threat combos only stance for tuning.

Haha. Hahaha. I'm working my way through the main story quest right now, and I've gotten my main class to 40. I have no idea what my playtime is, but I'm already at least double that 18 figure. Probably closer to triple.

I mean, I have been doing most of the sidequests as I come to them, but still.

I'm about halfway through my 30 day trial, and I figure I'll barely get to 50 by the time I need to decide if I want to pony up for a subscription.

I was discussing the in game economics of FFXIV with a friend of mine. He's been playing MMOs for at least a decade. I thought carpentry would be a good source of gil. But it literally takes all my gil to make the higher level stuff. And people usually can get that themselves through quests. However, people need raw materials to make things. I think I will start botany, mining, or culinary. In your opinion what's a good job that creates wealth?

Get a min/btn to 60 and start collecting red scripts and buying favors. The mats you collect with those favors are the only really valuable gathered stuff in the game. Because they are gated by the red scripts cap every week

Jayhawk

A member in the Ultros crafting linkshell spent 25 million last week for 500 favor materials from various people. Catch those hoarders preparing for 3.2!

Saw some people on Reddit upset over China getting exclusive content nobody else will (a mount and some outfits). Somebody had to point out the cost of these "exclusives" is a decent amount of cut content and revisions to meet censorship guidelines for those XIV to continue service in China. I will admit the outfits looked cool...

I know N'uadha and his group recently cleared A3S (congrats again), and I'm seeing a lot more discussion on Reddit/OF about groups finally clearing A3S after 5 months. A lot of these groups started out in A3S within a month of Alexander Gordias Savage's release, so there seems to be more anecdotal evidence to support the clear data out there that getting through A1/2S in a short time was not a good indicator if your group would pass A3S. Thordan weapons, followed by Relic weapons, severely lessened the DPS check it seems and allowed many groups to progress further into the fight, allowing them to actually get more consistent experience in the final phase. It also allowed some more leeway in terms of mistakes. I think until Thordan weapons dropped in November, there was very little forgiveness for mistakes in A3S.

This seems pretty obvious, but the amount of people recounting how many times they had to replace members, have existing people switch roles, and both of these adjustments causing regression before the group would see progress feels a bit more...comforting to know, even though that might sound strange.

We've had the debate over party makeup before, and while I think we all agreed virtually any makeup can clear any fight in this game, some setups are just better suited to the fight or will make your life easier. I feel like groups who do better are willing to adjust party members' roles as needed, and give that person time to learn the role. Some more serious groups will want that player to be very good at the role right away or they might consider seeking a replacement, but I think many groups have a sense of loyalty to their members and are willing to give them time to adjust. It's good to see that groups that stuck it out but adjusted are finally seeing payoffs.

Speaking of statics, the one I volunteered to help just lost 3 members...to the group that wanted me to join a few weeks ago. But that original group re-formed (member came back from another server), and I guess replaced one person, and they're back to their old thing. I think most of them were on the last phase of A4S anyway, so going in with some new people might have tested their patience since they had been at A4S for months now. So back to no static again (and free of A4S...for now).

One thing I did learn from this uh...brief experience. I in no way, shape, or form ever want to be in a group with a "hardcore" schedule. 4-5 days a week for 3-4 hours...was too much for me. I dreaded going to raid at the end and even considered making excuses to get out or just pulling my ethernet cable out and saying "internet isn't working" or something. I still like raid content, I just...it can't be the only thing I'm doing when I'm playing this game. Also it can't dominate my life. Not sure if any of you have gone through this before with another MMO or even XIV, but my schedule since summer of 2014 has largely revolved around the raid. I kind of wanted to break away from that, which is why I was leaning for awhile towards leaving my static. Why even try a more "aggressive" schedule? I thought if I just put in a lot of time up front, ie make 1-2 weeks like hell week, and cleared the content, I could go back to relaxing and just have the dream of "Reset Day is get all raid stuff done, see you next week" mode. Hah hah, yeah right...nope.

For those of you who have tried this, how has it been -- raiding exclusively on weekends before evenings? I would really like to try to maybe restrict raiding to Sat/Sun, and if it has to be evenings, so be it, but not sure if anyone raids during the day on weekends though, it always seems like people are running at night. I think I've only seen Haman's group ever run during the day. If this really isn't a possibility, I guess I'll have to figure out something. I really do hope the new raid is more forgiving, only for the sake of not having to spend months on a single part...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
A member in the Ultros crafting linkshell spent 25 million last week for 500 favor materials from various people. Catch those hoarders preparing for 3.2!

Besides levemetes is there a place to go where people post what they're looking for?

WolvenOne

Saw some people on Reddit upset over China getting exclusive content nobody else will (a mount and some outfits). Somebody had to point out the cost of these "exclusives" is a decent amount of cut content and revisions to meet censorship guidelines for those XIV to continue service in China. I will admit the outfits looked cool...

I know N'uadha and his group recently cleared A3S (congrats again), and I'm seeing a lot more discussion on Reddit/OF about groups finally clearing A3S after 5 months. A lot of these groups started out in A3S within a month of Alexander Gordias Savage's release, so there seems to be more anecdotal evidence to support the clear data out there that getting through A1/2S in a short time was not a good indicator if your group would pass A3S. Thordan weapons, followed by Relic weapons, severely lessened the DPS check it seems and allowed many groups to progress further into the fight, allowing them to actually get more consistent experience in the final phase. It also allowed some more leeway in terms of mistakes. I think until Thordan weapons dropped in November, there was very little forgiveness for mistakes in A3S.

This seems pretty obvious, but the amount of people recounting how many times they had to replace members, have existing people switch roles, and both of these adjustments causing regression before the group would see progress feels a bit more...comforting to know, even though that might sound strange.

We've had the debate over party makeup before, and while I think we all agreed virtually any makeup can clear any fight in this game, some setups are just better suited to the fight or will make your life easier. I feel like groups who do better are willing to adjust party members' roles as needed, and give that person time to learn the role. Some more serious groups will want that player to be very good at the role right away or they might consider seeking a replacement, but I think many groups have a sense of loyalty to their members and are willing to give them time to adjust. It's good to see that groups that stuck it out but adjusted are finally seeing payoffs.

Speaking of statics, the one I volunteered to help just lost 3 members...to the group that wanted me to join a few weeks ago. But that original group re-formed (member came back from another server), and I guess replaced one person, and they're back to their old thing. I think most of them were on the last phase of A4S anyway, so going in with some new people might have tested their patience since they had been at A4S for months now. So back to no static again (and free of A4S...for now).

One thing I did learn from this uh...brief experience. I in no way, shape, or form ever want to be in a group with a "hardcore" schedule. 4-5 days a week for 3-4 hours...was too much for me. I dreaded going to raid at the end and even considered making excuses to get out or just pulling my ethernet cable out and saying "internet isn't working" or something. I still like raid content, I just...it can't be the only thing I'm doing when I'm playing this game. Also it can't dominate my life. Not sure if any of you have gone through this before with another MMO or even XIV, but my schedule since summer of 2014 has largely revolved around the raid. I kind of wanted to break away from that, which is why I was leaning for awhile towards leaving my static. Why even try a more "aggressive" schedule? I thought if I just put in a lot of time up front, ie make 1-2 weeks like hell week, and cleared the content, I could go back to relaxing and just have the dream of "Reset Day is get all raid stuff done, see you next week" mode.

For those of you who have tried this, how has it been -- raiding exclusively on weekends before evenings? I would really like to try to maybe restrict raiding to Sat/Sun, and if it has to be evenings, so be it, but not sure if anyone raids during the day on weekends though, it always seems like people are running at night. I think I've only seen Haman's group ever run during the day. If this really isn't a possibility, I guess I'll have to figure out something. I really do hope the new raid is more forgiving, only for the sake of not having to spend months on a single part...

Thanku!

Also, on the hard-core schedule thing. I can do brief bursts like that, but it quickly gets exhausting after a week or so. I kinda figure that's something to save either for very early in the raid cycle, (I want us to start getting max ilvl gear immediately,) or when you're getting close to completing a raid, (Final push, lets get this done and get on with our lives!)

Going at that pace indefinitely, would be a big no-no for me. Not because of time constraints, my patience with other people would just wear thin too quickly.

WolvenOne

Incidentally, they did catch Sian Blake's boyfriend. I mean you all probably knew that, but I figured it deserved being mentioned in the OT. They're talking about extradition to the UK now.

Ken

Too many ellipses make me sad desu.

IIRC Gogogolong's group runs 2 days a week going 3 hours each so you can ask them how they're doing with that kind of schedule. Weekend only groups sounds like a recipe for disaster given how many fun things that aren't FFXIV there are to do on weekends. Losing a single day to life is also half your allotted raid time so that's not good either.

Maybe you should just quit raiding altogether given your need for a specific schedule but also because you've expressed dislike at having to work with 7 other people and wished raiding was a single-player thing, or something like that. You sound miserable every time you talk about your raid experience.

2nd A4S with my group, After doing no mechanics last week like their MNK usually does, this week I did all the mechanics! (Steam stuns, carnage lasers, adds)

DPS took a hit but we still oneshot it. And next week I'll actually get a dip! (and hope the MCH gun drops)

Top Bottom