• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

My new goal: Become commander rank.

Someone tell me what it takes. I can't possibly be more active than I have been the past year+. Will I jump the list if I go lala? Tend to some plants? What would it take to have Darkness's old spot?

Please advise.

iammeiam

If you get the MCH gun before me I will destroy you.
You will. I have never seen a ranged weapon drop in Heavensward 8-man content. We're just going to get another Astrometer.

We've had the debate over party makeup before, and while I think we all agreed virtually any makeup can clear any fight in this game, some setups are just better suited to the fight or will make your life easier. I feel like groups who do better are willing to adjust party members' roles as needed, and give that person time to learn the role. Some more serious groups will want that player to be very good at the role right away or they might consider seeking a replacement, but I think many groups have a sense of loyalty to their members and are willing to give them time to adjust. It's good to see that groups that stuck it out but adjusted are finally seeing payoffs.

I tend to think that role swaps that break groups are generally swaps For The Wrong Reasons. You take the player, not the job. You'll be better off with eight people honestly trying at a hodgepodge of suboptimal jobs they care about enough to put in their own time learning than half the group gritting their teeth and trying to make something work to appease the meta. People tend to see "fixing" group comp as a Hail Mary that will fix everything, even if they don't have a specific plan for what it's going to address and usually have problems beyond the makeup to deal with.

Basically a job change that makes everyone in the group happier is a good thing. A job change because you HAVE TO is just going to bum everyone out.

I really do hope the new raid is more forgiving, only for the sake of not having to spend months on a single part...

The only thing they've told us about the new raid is the DPS check will be easier. Given the general struggle with mechanics, I'm assuming they'll make further changes for leniency but am curious if they'll imprement some HP checks to keep some gearwalling going on. My biggest worry is they have said nothing thus far indicating they understand the larger problems with 4 in particular--The DPS check is (well, was pre-Thordan pre-relic) brutal, yes, but that's not not why the fight was no fun and generally unpopular.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally, they did catch Sian Blake's boyfriend. I mean you all probably knew that, but I figured it deserved being mentioned in the OT. They're talking about extradition to the UK now.

Where did they find him?

scy

I think until Thordan weapons dropped in November, there was very little forgiveness for mistakes in A3S.

It depends on your definition of mistakes, I guess? We had plenty of ~low% enrages before our first kill that involved losing an entire person for whatever reason (deaths, disconnects, damage down, etc.). I think i190 + Eso Weapon was around the bare minimum point for the fight and the full Eso + A1S/A2S/Gobcoat area (i206, I think it was) was the first big forgiving spot ... but "just enough" forgiveness. If you had mistakes and then just not outputting well (and less ideal of a comp, those multipliers stack up!), things were going to be bad still at this point. Thordan is where you saw basically that entire gear gap there repeated again; you doubled or more the room for mistakes you had. And then i210/Diadem on top of that? Ultimately a lot of it is there's a lot of room for mistakes, there's just a lot more mistakes than people give credit to. For instance, misaligning buffs is a big loss of DPS to the point of maybe an entire gear slot (at least) and it's usually not considered too much.

Which sort of leads into ...

This seems pretty obvious, but the amount of people recounting how many times they had to replace members, have existing people switch roles, and both of these adjustments causing regression before the group would see progress feels a bit more...comforting to know, even though that might sound strange.

I think then comes the big part of it: The base level is still above what most people get to when they play. Which may sound like a "git gud" statement but I can't blame people too much for this issue. The game does a horrible job of easing into it. It's pretty common to be there thinking "this is okay and good" but at around half of what you could be doing. Raiding doesn't need you to be 100% perfect but they do require you to know what you're doing across the entire group. Which is a big difference from previous raid tiers (and by extension, A1S/A2S since they're closer to those in difficulty) where you didn't actually need everyone on top of things all the time. And, on top of that, the gap, damage wise, has grown a bit as messing up the new rotations since HW is a larger percentage loss than it was before. So you end up with this situation now you require more from everyone and their own mistakes are worse now so it ends up being a lot of people suddenly hitting a wall that wasn't there before and stuck without the means (and then without the desire or will to) for that kind of improvement.

It's largely repeating a thing pretty much everyone has been saying forever but there's just a significant lack of in-game resources to figure out if you're actually doing what you should be doing. I'm not sure if the training dummy test they have planned will really help with this (since it's literally just deal X damage in 3 minutes) but time will tell there. There's also still just a general lack of something in between and it's always met with "but resources!" thrown at it. Just an awkward situation for facilitating that growth of the playerbase and that's really where they need to find more ways to focus on.

Why even try a more "aggressive" schedule? I thought if I just put in a lot of time up front, ie make 1-2 weeks like hell week, and cleared the content, I could go back to relaxing and just have the dream of "Reset Day is get all raid stuff done, see you next week" mode. Hah hah, yeah right...nope.

Personally speaking, I don't like going excessively without good reason to do so. 3 (to 4) days is typically fine given real progress either in terms of further in the fight, consistency in the fight, or just general understanding. Time doesn't magically do anything on it's own sort of thing. We did push hard to down A4S at the end simply because "maybe we can kill it pre-nerfs (if they come?)" but, again, goals add days, not add days to make a goal.

Speaking of statics, the one I volunteered to help just lost 3 members...to the group that wanted me to join a few weeks ago. But that original group re-formed (member came back from another server), and I guess replaced one person, and they're back to their old thing. I think most of them were on the last phase of A4S anyway, so going in with some new people might have tested their patience since they had been at A4S for months now. So back to no static again (and free of A4S...for now).

Rip, so nana's group is full up?

One thing I did learn from this uh...brief experience. I in no way, shape, or form ever want to be in a group with a "hardcore" schedule. 4-5 days a week for 3-4 hours...was too much for me. I dreaded going to raid at the end and even considered making excuses to get out or just pulling my ethernet cable out and saying "internet isn't working" or something. I still like raid content, I just...it can't be the only thing I'm doing when I'm playing this game. Also it can't dominate my life. Not sure if any of you have gone through this before with another MMO or even XIV, but my schedule since summer of 2014 has largely revolved around the raid. I kind of wanted to break away from that, which is why I was leaning for awhile towards leaving my static. Why even try a more "aggressive" schedule? I thought if I just put in a lot of time up front, ie make 1-2 weeks like hell week, and cleared the content, I could go back to relaxing and just have the dream of "Reset Day is get all raid stuff done, see you next week" mode. Hah hah, yeah right...nope.

pretty much

WolvenOne

They said we'd get more information about 3.2 next at the FATE in Kagoshima, which appears to be set for 1/30 and mention Live Letter 27.

So like 3 weeks until crushing disappointment. Get hype.

You mean three more weeks until...

6IjYKvr.jpg

...right? ;)

Squishy3

We got a MSQ preview and Void Ark preview 2 weeks before the Live Letter anyway, so if they follow that schedule again we'll see a small preview of the MSQ (probably with that same Fiend picture plus another) and an Alexander preview before the letter, with a trailer debuting during it.

Marvel Heroes has a raid, let's go!

edit: oh cool, we're getting more edda in a future patch http://nekokuma.com/post-17601/

Raijinken

My new goal: Become commander rank.

Someone tell me what it takes. I can't possibly be more active than I have been the past year+. Will I jump the list if I go lala? Tend to some plants? What would it take to have Darkness's old spot?

Please advise.

I was under the impression that the commander rank only existed for those that are progressing on A4S and need to turn on the weakness buff if a leader isn't available at the time to do it themselves.

Just got my Kirin this morning. No more Primal farming for me! Though I might still help since I'm about 30 more duties away from unlocking my Warbear.

We got a MSQ preview and Void Ark preview 2 weeks before the Live Letter anyway, so if they follow that schedule again we'll see a small preview of the MSQ (probably with that same Fiend picture plus another) and an Alexander preview before the letter, with a trailer debuting during it.

Marvel Heroes has a raid, let's go!

edit: oh cool, we're getting more edda in a future patch http://nekokuma.com/post-17601/

Oh hey, I just did Tam Tara Hard Mode for the first time yesterday. Love the atmosphere of the place. And despite not really paying attention to the MSQs before Heavensward, I still vaguely remembered those characters from when I just started. Really cool to see that thread wrapped up way later in the game. Most all of the Hard Mode variants are more fun and interesteing lore-wise compared to the non-HM dungeons.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I was under the impression that the commander rank only existed for those that are progressing on A4S and need to turn on the weakness buff if a leader isn't available at the time to do it themselves.
That's pretty much what it's become. It was originally made for Diadem when we were expecting a 20 minute ship cooldown after deploying and before we knew how long it was gonna take us to unlock Hard mode. They changed the cooldown though to 5 mins before launch and it took us forever to unlock Hard mode so in the end it didn't really make much sense to lock ship deployment behind a few people. Since the rights were pretty much the exact same as GAF Gold back then no one ever bothered downgrading those people back to GAF Gold.

Makes sense, but looking at the FC member list, that can't be the exclusive reason.

Edit: ^ I see...

Regardless, I have a new goal! But no bara to harass this time....

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm at 68/80 on my relic and lately I feel the motivation to finish the last bit of tome grinding slipping away.

Cmagus

It's crazy to think some people have multiple anima weapons already. I got behind with work and I've had a real hard time getting back into working on it.

Squishy3

I'm kind of at odds with the game in regards to tanking having just leveled a tank to cap, because there's been no opportunity to "learn" end-game tanking, because everything up to Bismarck EX/Rav EX/Thordan/Minstrel's Ballad is trivialized, even synced (and you probably won't find a group willing to minimum IL sync the old content) so to learn end-game tanking you're just thrown into the deep end.

I say this since I just helped some FC mates through Bis EX, but we couldn't get the tank swap down for the snakes, and the time we cleared it RNG said "no you don't get to do the tank swap." Granted, it's probably one of the harder tank swaps in the game, since if you mess it up you're cleaving the party or the other tank. But we couldn't even practice that because it was two wipes and then the third run no tank swap was needed, so we didn't even get to practice the part we were having problems with.

I'm at 68/80 on my relic and lately I feel the motivation to finish the last bit of tome grinding slipping away.
What, you don't want to run the Alex floors you need for whatever tokens you have left 32 times?!

Omni

I'm at... 28? I think. Haha. But yeah, like you I've lost motivation. For a little bit I was fine with doing some Alex and my dailies for Law and Poetics but now it's just eh. So monotonous. It's a little better having someone crazy enough to come along with you for that stuff but even still

I'll continue to chip away at it while I'm subbed, but I don't care that much.

Squishy3

I'm at 22/28 so far. Only focusing on 2 tokens right now, forgot I didn't have Sylph up to max rank so I can't use their new tokens for the Seeds. Same with Sahagin and Amal'jaa. This is what I get for ignoring the other beast tribes.

I keep going back and forth on wanting to do the NIN one. It's a 210 weapon but those stats make me sad. Will probably end up just doing it anyway and figure the future steps will let me customize it.

Valor

IIRC Gogogolong's group runs 2 days a week going 3 hours each so you can ask them how they're doing with that kind of schedule. Weekend only groups sounds like a recipe for disaster given how many fun things that aren't FFXIV there are to do on weekends. Losing a single day to life is also half your allotted raid time so that's not good either.

Maybe you should just quit raiding altogether given your need for a specific schedule but also because you've expressed dislike at having to work with 7 other people and wished raiding was a single-player thing, or something like that. You sound miserable every time you talk about your raid experience.
Two days @ 3 hours each is the best. 10/10 highly recommended. I don't need to spend extra time in game looking at things like Ken's OTP and thinking about what could have been.

On a serious note progression can be made in limited time, but it's up to the people who actually are in the group and how much effort they put forth. In our group's case I think we make a lot of progress most nights given how infrequently we're in there, especially as of late. I quite enjoy it.

Full bundle?! Marvel Heroes is free. Let's start a static!
Please stop.

rip goglon
I don't see a ring

Omni

Does Presence of Mind really reduce cooldown times? How substantial is it? I've seen people talk about it, yet there doesn't seem to be anything concrete.

WolvenOne

Well, done with my Relic, and presumably I'm going back into A3S Tuesday. If I get that on to farm status, im might actually start running low on stuff to do.

I guess there's always getting to 50 on pvp. Uh, passively getting the mats for a second Relic. Uh, then there's the Scholasticate thing I guess, where does that quest line start anyway?

BLCKATK

Got my Thordan weapon today so the drive to get the relic fast has definitely gone away. The weapon looks amazing (going for PLD weapon) but I really don't need it to accomplish what I want to do so I'll get it when I get it, and I'll be ready for whatever horrors they add next step.

Ken

Got my Thordan weapon today so the drive to get the relic fast has definitely gone away. The weapon looks amazing (going for PLD weapon) but I really don't need it to accomplish what I want to do so I'll get it when I get it, and I'll be ready for whatever horrors they add next step.

Void Ark Gobdips though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Does Presence of Mind really reduce cooldown times? How substantial is it? I've seen people talk about it, yet there doesn't seem to be anything concrete.

Says right there, 20%
So from 2.42s recast time you'd get 1.93s with cast times adjusted accordingly.
Over 15s you'll gain 1 and a half GCD which might not sound like a lot but in reality it's big and lets you either catch up on healing or utilize it as a DPS cooldown.

Omni

More like it speeds up your spell speed big time and lets you get off more spells off during its duration.

Yeah, of course. That much is obvious :p

I've been reading it has a hidden perk or something. I dunno! Made me curious. Haha. Thanks

Says right there, 20%
So from 2.42s recast time you'd get 1.93s with cast times adjusted accordingly.
Over 15s you'll gain 1 and a half GCD which might not sound like a lot but in reality it's big and lets you either catch up on healing or utilize it as a DPS cooldown.
Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. I've been reading that if you activate it, it will also speed up the cooldowns of things like Shroud of Saints and stuff

Top Bottom