• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah, of course. That much is obvious :p

I've been reading it has a hidden perk or something. I dunno! Made me curious. Haha. Thanks

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. I've been reading that if you activate it, it will also speed up the cooldowns of things like Shroud of Saints and stuff

No, it doesn't affect cooldowns.

iammeiam

From the last Live Letter digest, so old news but just posted in this format:
There are three different ways to obtain equipment in FFXIV.
Obtaining items via difficult raids
Obtaining items through tokens that have weekly limitations
Obtaining items by spending a long period of time

We’ve structured this so that by undertaking any of the above three paths it will result in the same item level; however, we feel that the item level of the rewards for Alexander: Gordias (Savage) was too low for the extreme difficulty. Had the item level of the equipment obtained in The Burden of the Father (Savage) been 215, I think it would have been possible to upgrade tomestone weapons to 210 with the token item from Void Ark and make the Anima weapons 210 right away.

As a result of the difficulty being set to too high, the number of players who possess a weapon from The Burden of the Father was far lower than we expected, and in order to maintain the value of these items for players that were able to beat this difficult raid, the content that came afterwards suffered.

This is a terrible reason for not releasing relic in 3.1. This is a terrible reason for not putting gobdip in Void Ark in 3.15. The most gear status obsessed people I know of weren't/aren't clearing early enough to have their weapons devalued by 'easy' i210. If they want to do the 5 iLevel bump for future tiers, fine, but I have no idea what they thought they were accomplishing this tier by withholding the weapons forever. There's still no easy tome i210. It's A4S or Anima like a month or two out from the weapons being obsolete. This is dumb.

iammeiam

I was originally going to ask if the minority of people obsessed with displaying superiority via gear was really that much larger than the minority of people who wanted challenging raid content that remained challenging in hindsight as opposed to their Midas mission of people clearing and then calling it a piece of cake, but then I realized the answer would just make me sad.

who shows off Gordian weapons anyway? It's all about the mount.

BadRNG

Do many people actually play this game for sake of gear to begin with? It's not like there are particularly interesting effects or stats to shoot for, you see slightly bigger numbers and that's it. It's nice to have something to work towards but the gear itself is pretty bland stuff, I don't see why anyone would of cared if they implemented the catch up gear earlier. That's same time it used to come anyway.

Gear levels were a mistake etc.
you're nothing but trash

am I doing it right

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm kind of at odds with the game in regards to tanking having just leveled a tank to cap, because there's been no opportunity to "learn" end-game tanking, because everything up to Bismarck EX/Rav EX/Thordan/Minstrel's Ballad is trivialized, even synced (and you probably won't find a group willing to minimum IL sync the old content) so to learn end-game tanking you're just thrown into the deep end.

I say this since I just helped some FC mates through Bis EX, but we couldn't get the tank swap down for the snakes, and the time we cleared it RNG said "no you don't get to do the tank swap." Granted, it's probably one of the harder tank swaps in the game, since if you mess it up you're cleaving the party or the other tank. But we couldn't even practice that because it was two wipes and then the third run no tank swap was needed, so we didn't even get to practice the part we were having problems with.

What, you don't want to run the Alex floors you need for whatever tokens you have left 32 times?!

I'm burnt out on Alexander NM. A4 has been especially bad in DF the past week.

Sylas

But really, the thinking about all of the gear stuff is super backwards. I still think they're playing catch up since their break following the launch of 3.0
Let's hope they get shit figured out soon. Balmung's felt particularly dead the times I've logged on in the last few weeks, and that's dramatic considering it's Balmung.

iammeiam

The original salt over hunt upgrade items say some people take their iLevels seriously, but you'd think they'd have learned to deal with it by now.

Last I checked that thing doesn't shoot bullets. Then again, I haven't checked in a while and so things may have changed.

Like I'm going to have time to show that off before glamouring Mog Gun over it. Pls. We don't even get a weapon damage, it's shameful.

(I also have this running mental list of things left we need to drop so everyone gets all their pieces after eight weeks. Gun ain't on it.)

Sorian

Banned
Imagine how much this game could be invigorated if they just added a little bit of thought to gearing. A set system, a more diverse effect from the sub stats, anything really. Diadem was such an interesting concept to me because of the idea of completely min-maxing classes but the mixture of RNG (which only got heavier after the nerf) and knowing that this was obsolete catch up gear from the start really did a number on that from the start but worse of all is how little secondary stats matter and while one is better than another in a stat weight comparison, at the end of the day, the difference is so miniscule.

But hey, wouldn't want to make the game complicated right yoship? God forbid theory crafters have to do more than figuring out stat weights of secondary stats towards primary stats.

Valor

Do many people actually play this game for sake of gear to begin with? It's not like there are particularly interesting effects or stats to shoot for, you see slightly bigger numbers and that's it. It's nice to have something to work towards but the gear itself is pretty bland stuff, I don't see why anyone would of cared if they implemented the catch up gear earlier. That's same time it used to come anyway.
Some of the gear looks cool, so that's a decent-ish reason to want it, but I think most people chase it because it's the highest number available. Especially casual types.That's my thinking, anyway. If I stopped raiding I would still want the best gear available to me, but that's just how I am as a person. Catch up gear has never been a huge issue to me because I'm of the thought that you need to keep the carrot on the string for a bunch of people who are playing the game more casually and aren't in the 1%. The issue is that perhaps that's the only carrot left to get in the game at current.

(I also have this running mental list of things left we need to drop so everyone gets all their pieces after eight weeks. Gun ain't on it.)
As long as a bow isn't on there as well then all is good. On an unrelated note enjoy the next three weeks of bard bows.

Imagine how much this game could be invigorated if they just added a little bit of thought to gearing. A set system, a more diverse effect from the sub stats, anything really. Diadem was such an interesting concept to me because of the idea of completely min-maxing classes but the mixture of RNG (which only got heavier after the nerf) and knowing that this was obsolete catch up gear from the start really did a number on that from the start but worse of all is how little secondary stats matter and while one is better than another in a stat weight comparison, at the end of the day, the difference is so miniscule.

But hey, wouldn't want to make the game complicated right yoship? God forbid theory crafters have to do more than figuring out stat weights of secondary stats towards primary stats.
It's funny because there are set bonuses in the GC gear but they don't exist anywhere outside of that. Is that also a relic from 1.0 they kept in because lazy?

Sorian

Banned
It's funny because there are set bonuses in the GC gear but they don't exist anywhere outside of that. Is that also a relic from 1.0 they kept in because lazy?

Yes, that's what I've been told in the past at least when I complained about this. And as lazy as those particular set bonuses are, it would only take something like that to all of a sudden have more conversation around gearing. Complexity for the sake of complexity is bad and I will say that any day of the week but when your system is bigger number=good lower number=bad and that's it, then I think an update is in order.

scy

Every time they talk recently it sounds like they're back in 2.0 design thinking. Should we expect whatever 2.2 had to be repeated?

iammeiam

As long as a bow isn't on there as well then all is good. On an unrelated note enjoy the next three weeks of bard bows.

We need a NIN thing for everyone to be BiS after week 8 I think (BLM is confusing but I think Eso wins both slots), and a DRK thing and a BLM thing for everyone to end up with both main drops for glamour. Everything else can be bows but will in fact be Astrometers and DRG chests.

Every time they talk recently it sounds like they're back in 2.0 design thinking. Should we expect whatever 2.2 had to be repeated?

Mirror farm hype.

Tiops

Fellow DRG, just to know if I'm doing my job correctly: ilvl188 (weapon being the awoke relic, i200), how much DPS should I be doing? Without food and pots. Is 1000 ~ 1100 acceptable?

IvorB

Yeah the gear in this game is pretty bland stat-wise to say the least but at least there is glamour. I finally got the pieces I wanted from Alex. Getting anything out of Alex is really rough these days. I literally managed to buy two A4 relic items in the time it took me to get one gordian spring. It was so worth it though:

gR3caQR.jpg

And speaking of glamour: while browsing through my screenshots I found this gem. While walking in Idyllshire I came across my fellow GAF member and was so scandalised by the glamour I felt compelled to take a pic. Seriously, how do you glamour all your gear into, like, nothing? Ha ha!

Sorian

Banned
And speaking of glamour: while browsing through my screenshots I found this gem. While walking in Idyllshire I came across my fellow GAF member and was so scandalised by the glamour I felt compelled to take a pic. Seriously, how do you glamour all your gear into, like, nothing? Ha ha!

Classic.

My current glamour is actually real mage clothes and stuff though. I just do whatever I feel.

A while back I was thinking about how instead of the combat system that the game has now, yoship and co instead created a turn based battle system instead.

Or maybe something like how FFXIII/FFXIII-2 (I haven't played FFXIII-3 yet) uses ATB yet you have multiple people acting at the same time, of course AOE dodging would be out since you wouldn't control your movement but just your actions in the menu.

Sorian

Banned
How can I get authorization to plant seeds at the GAF estate?

If you are looking for particular items, I'd talk to Drama/go on our side message board and ask in the thread, we probably have it grown already.

If you are looking to garden for money, I think you'll have to get your own place.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If you are looking for particular items, I'd talk to Drama/go on our side message board and ask in the thread, we probably have it grown already.

If you are looking to garden for money, I think you'll have to get your own place.

I gotcha. I was tending the garden and thought I'd plant some Gysahl Greens seed for my chocobo. 🙂

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You can buy gysahl greens from an npc. A stack of 99 is like 3k or something.

True. But I thought I'd grow my own. I tried and failed at real gardening. I wanted to see how well I do at virtual gardening.

aceface

Can Co-Owners of a house use the garden as well? Or are their rights limited to furniture placement?

Yeah you can authorize tenants or whatever to have full use of the garden.

Chocolate has free rein over my garden now. I gave up after I let my onions die for like the 3rd time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if they can, Vilix should just find a friend who has a house, but isn't currently using their garden.

It's cool. I'll just purchase from the npc.

I need to start getting back to the main story quests. I'd like to get my first relic weapon.

Top Bottom