• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Finally got around to unlocking the Dark Knight. Currently at level 37 now. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong, but I sure feel squishy. Gear is up to date for the level I am at. Got Grit up along with Darkside and do my defensive cooldowns. Pop Reprisal whenever it pops up. But still feel like I'm always on the brink of death with the healer just carrying me. I don't remember if I felt like this when I was a warrior at this level. I know I'll unlock Souleater next level which should help.

Are there any tips or good intuitive guides out there for a fresh Batman?

OK so I think I've finally had enough of Zodiark. Barely ever more than 6 parties on the pf and half are just selling stuff. The server is just too quiet so I am looking to transfer my character to another EU server.

Does anyone know which are the more active servers? I hear Odin is supposed to be pretty active.

OK so I think I've finally had enough of Zodiark. Barely ever more than 6 parties on the pf and half are just selling stuff. The server is just too quiet so I am looking to transfer my character to another EU server.

Does anyone know which are the more active servers? I hear Odin is supposed to be pretty active.

Ragnarok is really active during EU primetime

BadRNG

Finally got around to unlocking the Dark Knight. Currently at level 37 now. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong, but I sure feel squishy. Gear is up to date for the level I am at. Got Grit up along with Darkside and do my defensive cooldowns. Pop Reprisal whenever it pops up. But still feel like I'm always on the brink of death with the healer just carrying me. I don't remember if I felt like this when I was a warrior at this level. I know I'll unlock Souleater next level which should help.

Are there any tips or good intuitive guides out there for a fresh Batman?
No reason you should feel squishier than WAR at that level, you lack some of their self heals but it's not major at that point. If you're doing all the things you say you are then it's probably the healer, maybe they are new?

I don't know of any guides, especially for that level. Later on the key to DRK is to be constantly rotating oGCDs, especially with Dark Arts that you get at 45. Your general flow will be to build aggro with one (possibly two) threat combos, then you spend the rest of the fight using Delirium and Soul Eater. Always be using your MP after 45, generally speaking if you are sitting anywhere near full MP then you are doing it wrong.

At your level though you are not much different from a PLD/WAR hybrid, no real secret or gimmick to be mindful of.

Dark Knights have always felt squishier to me as a healer.
They are probably the squishiest of the three tanks in majority of scenarios, or at least another way to word it is they are most dependent on healer of the three tanks in most scenarios. Don't have the passive mitigation of PLD, nor the healing ability of WAR. When played well they shouldn't feel too massively different to heal.

Teknoman

Now that we're at it let's throw in Xenoblade X's Soul Voice system, body part targeting, and Xenogears Deathblow system too.

+1

I'd love the deathblow system or something similar (i guess you could say FFXI skillchains were closeish). Body part targeting needs to be a thing.

Actually soul voice like system would be nice too lol.

Caj814

should have all my unidentified items before the week is up. Since it's close I started to round up the HQs on PF and MB but could use some assistance on finishing out the rest if my wallet isn't enough to buy marked up items.

Adamantite Francesca HQ 1/4
Titanium Alloy Mirror HQ 0/4
Dispelling Arrow HQ 1/4
Kingcake HQ 1/4

Victor Strange gave me an overview on who can cover what on the FC chat but I could use some clarity on how tough the HQ chance is vs. the price of mats and the best time to meet up with each member that can cover each recipe.

k1t4j

I am in ODIN and it's packed in the evening and weekends, sometimes you even get a small queue, nothing too major, less than a minute.

I am leveling my second job and much like the first there are people in every area grinding FATES and such.

Lyng

I am ODIN and it's packed in the evening and weekends, sometimes you eveng et a small queue, nothing to major, less than a minute.

I am leveling my second job and much like the first there are people in every area grinding FATES and such.

Good thing I decided to role on Odin this morning. Do you know of any good social companies that one could join?

k1t4j

Good thing I decided to role on Odin this morning. Do you know of any good social companies that one could join?

Unfortunately no, as I have not joined any FC. But there are always people recruiting in towns. Or maybe someone else here from ODIN can help you out.

I am in ODIN and it's packed in the evening and weekends, sometimes you even get a small queue, nothing too major, less than a minute.

I've not long joined Odin and the difference is noticeable. The pf is so much more packed than on Zodiark even at this time.

orion434

should have all my unidentified items before the week is up. Since it's close I started to round up the HQs on PF and MB but could use some assistance on finishing out the rest if my wallet isn't enough to buy marked up items.

Adamantite Francesca HQ 1/4
Titanium Alloy Mirror HQ 0/4
Dispelling Arrow HQ 1/4
Kingcake HQ 1/4

Victor Strange gave me an overview on who can cover what on the FC chat but I could use some clarity on how tough the HQ chance is vs. the price of mats and the best time to meet up with each member that can cover each recipe.

Any respected 2* Crafter should have no problem HQ'ing the 1* Items with all NQ materials. There are some crafters that will take commission since the base mats are getting cheaper and cheaper.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a decent start- doesn't seem to go into opening rotation for weaving buffs in very much detail is the only problem, maybe look that up (guy named dervy should have a video for it).

WolvenOne

So, assuming materia melding the new Tome gear is going to work the same as crafted gear, which classes do you think will get people the most milage?

I mean, Goldsmith is really likely. So far all the accessories from Coils, Alexander, or Tomes, have been of the metallic variety. So unless they start adding leather and wooden jewelry, I'd expect Goldsmith to single handedly take care of a large swath of peoples melding needs.

Redx508

damn i still have this pic

ir9diMi.png

No reason you should feel squishier than WAR at that level, you lack some of their self heals but it's not major at that point. If you're doing all the things you say you are then it's probably the healer, maybe they are new?

I don't know of any guides, especially for that level. Later on the key to DRK is to be constantly rotating oGCDs, especially with Dark Arts that you get at 45. Your general flow will be to build aggro with one (possibly two) threat combos, then you spend the rest of the fight using Delirium and Soul Eater. Always be using your MP after 45, generally speaking if you are sitting anywhere near full MP then you are doing it wrong.

At your level though you are not much different from a PLD/WAR hybrid, no real secret or gimmick to be mindful of.

When I was customizing my hotbar, I forgot to put Shadowskin on there >___>
Feeling less squishy now. But still feel squishy every now and then.

Finally got enough esoterics to get my Warrior weapon. Though I'm wondering if I should get the armor pieces first and go for the anima weapon instead. But I don't feel like grinding crystals.

WolvenOne

so is this game good? im thinking of elder scrolls as well

Game's good, very good for people just joining up now in fact, (the amount of back content before you even get to end-game is potentially immense.)

Elder Scrolls online, well, not to besmirch it but last I heard that game had some, problems. I dunno, maybe they fixed them by now. <_<;;

Babalu.

Just started playing again last week. I was able to get my original FFXIV collectors edition account going again. My archer was level 22. I just went through all of the story quests and just unlocked a retainer. Theres so much to learn.

At least I got to keep my old character and my full onion set and holiday items from the games original release. I even got a realm reborn for free collectors edition since I had the original.

Just did my first few dungeons from the story quests and they were fun but pretty easy.

I was on Sargatanas but am transferring to Leviathan today.

I already got some cool looking armor and it seemed nobody greeded or needed most things during the dungeon runs.

Got a question though. Whats the next step. I am on the mission to beat Ifrit. When can I unlock mounts? Do I take my archer to 30 and then just get a Bard and level it up. Should I restart different classes. I wanted to play archer to 60 but apparently I need to change into a Bard for endgame. What other class spells do I need for my bard? Are bards even good endgame?

Is there a site similar to wowhead for world of warcraft that has info on everything?

suzu

Got a question though. Whats the next step. I am on the mission to beat Ifrit. When can I unlock mounts? Do I take my archer to 30 and then just get a Bard and level it up. Should I restart different classes. I wanted to play archer to 60 but apparently I need to change into a Bard for endgame. What other class spells do I need for my bard? Are bards even good endgame?

Is there a site similar to wowhead for world of warcraft that has info on everything?

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content. Also check out the links in the OP.

There's no point in staying as an archer. You get more skills and stats, so just switch to bard as soon as possible. You'll want to level lancer for Invigorate and Blood for Blood.

Ken

Just follow the MSQ symbol (the meteor) for how to progress.

Mount:

To obtain your chocobo mount, you must be level 20 or higher and progressed through the main story enough that you have joined a Grand Company. To unlock the mount, you need to complete the quest My Little Chocobo. In the quest, you need to purchase a Chocobo Issuance from your Grand Company Quartermaster for 2000 Company Seals.

Bard needs level 30 archer and level 15 Pugilist. When you have both you can do your job master's level 30 quest. Bard is basically the advanced job of archer so no reason to stay an archer (it's actually detrimental to). Bard cross class is Invigorate, Internal Release, Blood For Blood, and Second Wind. You'll get these from Pugilist and Dragoon. Bards are fine endgame.

BadRNG

You'll unlock the mount shortly if you are on ifrit, you get the chance after joining a GC in the story, which comes right after Ifrit.

Bard is a job, it's not truly a different class, it's just an enhanced version. You'll have all your archer skills and equipment, but with extra bard skills and free stat upgrade. When you reach 30 with Archer you'll need to level Pugilist to 15, and then the BRD quest unlocks, and it shares level with archer so you can continue from where you were. For other class skills you'll want to get lancer up to 34 for their skills (they are the most important by far, PGL to 15 is good enough, can do 42 later for Mantra for completion sake but it's not required). Don't feel like you have to level Lancer asap after unlocking bard, but you will definitely need those skills at endgame. Invigorate recovers TP and Blood for Blood is an important damage boost, both are from LNC. The other big ones you'll get just from leveling PGL to 15.

There's no downside for leveling other classes too, so feel free to experiment, but if bard is your endgoal then only PGL/LNC share skills. BRDs are important support dps (along with Machinist, that unlocks in Heavensward), so pretty much every group wants at least one of either BRD or MCH. You'll have lowest potential DPS but it's not massive, and your support is again pretty important.

My favorite site for that stuff is the Garland db. There are other good ones, like xivdb which follows similar format of wowhead as it's owned by same company.

Top Bottom