• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand BRD, just know from what they told me his DPS could be higher. His mechanics in A4S weren't great either. Don't want to sound bitter so won't comment much more, tho I think the MCH who left their group and I replaced was better, but he wanted to go super hardcore.

I see. As I recall from my research what a BRD lacks in DPS he makes up for in his buffs to the group. Did he cast any buffs?

iammeiam

I see. As I recall from my research what a BRD lacks in DPS he makes up for in his buffs to the group. Did he cast any buffs?

Srs talk: Ranged has a lower DPS potential overall as a penalty for being able to regen. Generally when somebody says a BRD or MCH could be higher, it means even for the job they're low and probably could improve. How much depends on how much of a regen hit they take, but the damage gap in content isn't THAT big normally. Like, 1k arena is a reasonable expectation in pretty much everything at this point for a geared range with a DRG.

freeloader

Hate the game, not the player.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
The weirdest part of that video is everything is so silent for most of it I assumed mumble was removed until some guy talks like a minute in.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
In the statics (groups) that y'all are in do you communicate through chat box or exchange friend requests and use voice chat? I have a PS4 btw.

Usually you will create a Linkshell for members of the static group to communicate with when it's not raid time. When it's raid time, you use an app like Mumble, Discord, TeamSpeak, etc.

The Ultros GAF FC has a Mumble server for all members to use.

In the statics (groups) that y'all are in do you communicate through chat box or exchange friend requests and use voice chat? I have a PS4 btw.

most of gaf statics use mumble. I know skype is popular with some of the pvp ppl. But it's obviously just w/e the group is comfortable with

I used Discord a few times when helping out Red's group. It's actually pretty nice. Something about the simplicity of Mumble appeals to me though, plus the fact that I can occasionally bounce up to the lobby after a raid is over and listen to Drama debating various topics.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Srs talk: Ranged has a lower DPS potential overall as a penalty for being able to regen. Generally when somebody says a BRD or MCH could be higher, it means even for the job they're low and probably could improve. How much depends on how much of a regen hit they take, but the damage gap in content isn't THAT big normally. Like, 1k arena is a reasonable expectation in pretty much everything at this point for a geared range with a DRG.

I've been putting everything in DEX, with a few bonus points going to PIE to help the buffs last longer.

iammeiam

I've been putting everything in DEX, with a few bonus points going to PIE to help the buffs last longer.

Definitely don't do this--all of your points belong in DEX. There's basically 0 choice on stat points. For the regen songs (Paeon and Ballad), you should only be using them when somebody actually needs TP or MP, and shouldn't need a full bar. These make you do even less damage, so playing them when nobody needs the resources actually hurts your group. Foe Requiem you will play full bars of as often as you can (and this is the only song you'll actually need most of the time and does not hurt your damage), but it's still not worth dropping points into PIE over.

WolvenOne

Yeah, it is a little weird that they give you bonus primary stats you can allocate in any way, but then there's no real choice in how to allocate them since only one stat really affects your class any.

I mean, I guess there's vit, but using vit in place of your primary is kinda, nichey.

BadRNG

You should really only put points into PIE if you are Paladin so you can flash more.

Is it static drama time?
There's an evil potato in my group trying to convert people to her cult, I'm pretty sure the cat has fleas, and I'm being constantly cyber bullied to do things like "raid" and "tank" and "not go afk".

ebil

Another remnant of V1 that I thought would actually be removed going into 3.0 seeing how it was going nowhere. I have no idea why it's still in, it's a trap for beginners and it breaks a lot of their envisioned raid design.

I remember when PIE was one of BRD's main DPS stats
not that anyone would actually invite us for our DPS

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely don't do this--all of your points belong in DEX. There's basically 0 choice on stat points. For the regen songs (Paeon and Ballad), you should only be using them when somebody actually needs TP or MP, and shouldn't need a full bar. These make you do even less damage, so playing them when nobody needs the resources actually hurts your group. Foe Requiem you will play full bars of as often as you can (and this is the only song you'll actually need most of the time and does not hurt your damage), but it's still not worth dropping points into PIE over.

Thanks so much for the tip. I've noticed my attack power goes down when I use the other two. I'll put Foe Requiem on my first hotbar.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Another remnant of V1 that I thought would actually be removed going into 3.0 seeing how it was going nowhere. I have no idea why it's still in, it's a trap for beginners and it breaks a lot of their envisioned raid design.

I remember when PIE was one of BRD's main DPS stats
not that anyone would actually invite us for our DPS

And the elemental resistances. Do attacks even do elemental damage in this game?

ebil

And the elemental resistances. Do attacks even do elemental damage in this game?
Some of them actually do, mostly obvious Primal attacks. The bubble in Garuda Extreme actually raises your wind resistance to a few thousands (you can check it when it's on, it'll update your stat panel). It's just that we have no way to stack that much by ourselves.

BadRNG

They do, actually. It's hidden from the player iirc but you can see types in ACT as the game actually says what it is behind the scenes. Player spells have types too, usually listed in the tooltip.

We can't get our individual resists up enough for it to matter though.

Some of them actually do, mostly obvious Primal attacks. The bubble in Garuda Extreme actually raises your wind resistance to a few thousands (you can check it when it's on, it'll update your stat panel). It's just that we have no way to stack that much by ourselves.

That makes sense, the Primal weapons have elemental resistance on them IIRC so it makes sense that they would do that type of damage. Last time I checked though all the elemental resistance values were pretty even, I can see why they would do this if they had no plans to make elemental resistances a major part of the game in terms of gear choice and ability use.

I resisted an attack once when I was using the Leviathan staff. I was so confused that I just stood there and got hit again and it went through.

They do, actually. It's hidden from the player iirc but you can see types in ACT as the game actually says what it is behind the scenes. Player spells have types too, usually listed in the tooltip.

We can't get our individual resists up enough for it to matter though.

I guess it would be a problem too if they made an enemy highly resistant to something like fire for example because then BLMs would do a lot less damage compared to every other class.

It's too bad they didn't design things for the new version such that you could take advantage of or exploit elemental weaknesses like you could in the previous FF games.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Primal weapons have elemental resistances as tradition. They did it in 1.x so they kept doing it even when it didn't make any sense (among things that didn't make sense was giving WHM a wand+shield in Leviathan).

Omni

How much does it cost to transfer servers again? Can't see a price on the site. Just something I'm considering. Hmm

Primal weapons have elemental resistances as tradition. They did it in 1.x so they kept doing it even when it didn't make any sense (among things that didn't make sense was giving WHM a wand+shield in Leviathan).

Ugh, this annoys me. I like the Levi weapons yet can never use the WHM one. >.<

Squishy3

How much does it cost to transfer servers again? Can't see a price on the site. Just something I'm considering. Hmm

Ugh, this annoys me. I like the Levi weapons yet can never use the WHM one. >.<
Didn't they say they were going to let people glamour the wands onto staffs?

edit: huh. can't find it now. swore i saw that somewhere

Omni

Oh right. Kinda ridiculous but I guess I can see why.

Is there much difference in population between Lamia and Ultros? I suppose most of you guys are there. But in regards to the actual world... it's not really dead, right? xD
Didn't they say they were going to let people glamour the wands onto staffs?

edit: huh. can't find it now. swore i saw that somewhere

That would be kinda cool. I secretly wish they'd just add in a staff though. Haha

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Got my mount tonight. Sad to see the music is the same as some of the other flying mounts so hopefully they do change it to Metal - Alexander Awakes.

CYvMnRZWkAAaMyr.jpg:large

iammeiam

He's a cat again.

There's some litigation going on in the Eorzean judicial system re:breech of promise due to a commitment to return to lalafell if certain activities were completed by a certain date, which he has failed to live up to.

I think if I can get to a 50/50 split everyone else falls like dominos because suddenly they just feel too tall.

BadRNG

Oh right. Kinda ridiculous but I guess I can see why.

Is there much difference in population between Lamia and Ultros? I suppose most of you guys are there. But in regards to the actual world... it's not really dead, right? xD
I don't know what pop numbers are like for Lamia, but Ultros is not super active. It is a bit exaggerated just how dead it is, and if you play during peak time you should find plenty of people to do stuff (especially in FC), but it's not one of the biggest servers or anything. If you just want steady amount of people to play with for casual content, and are in NA, it's not a bad choice for the GAF fc.

I think if I can get to a 50/50 split everyone else falls like dominos because suddenly they just feel too tall.
do you people see the peer pressure tactics she uses, we need a cyber potato anti-bullying campaign.

Hmm, just crashed while in a dungeon and now trying to log in i'm constantly getting error 90002 & have to wait in queue on each attempt, which seems weird for this time of day. Anyone else having issues?

Top Bottom