• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

I assumed it was a shared alternating button, so yeah I was wrong, but it's surprising to me you are that hurt for bars. Is it PVP skills or something? As is I have enough spots for everything on WAR even on controller. I think the only thing I'm hurt for on it is SCH for all the pet nonsense.

Speaking of, how do you fit all of your DRK abilities on crossbars for controller? I've been messing with different ways to do it but I hate everything I've done so far.

KuroNeeko

Thanks for the feedback and especially for keeping it spoiler-free. The part about reworking the character to sound more vague sounds like a good question to ask Koji.

I'm still in the earliest parts of the game but I've been impressed with the quality of the writing and the amount of effort put into even the most insignificant fetch quests.

I'm not biased though. If I see something later that changes my opinion of the work, then I won't be shy about it, bit so far it's really solid.

The dialect work is quite good and doesn't sound forced at all. You can't please everyone. lol

What, you mean you didn't know they made fairy knockback gameplay changes in localization?

Pretty sure he was joking, but for those that aren't (can only think of two users in the thread who have complained about it regularly) the common complaints revolve around changing the personality of one character completely in localization, a specific scene/character during the story where the exposition text was heavily changed to be more cryptic/vague when it was originally much more literal/direct(to the point people were getting really different impressions about what was going on depending on what language you played in), and finally some people don't like the ye old english that peppers the localization - one of the major characters is particularly excessive with it. The theme of just wanting literal translations in general rather than lots of flowery language, or all the puns/jokes, also comes up sometimes.

Which is crazy because then we wouldn't have classics like Quake me up Before you O'Ghomoro or It's Not Lupus.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What, you mean you didn't know they made fairy knockback gameplay changes in localization?

Pretty sure he was joking, but for those that aren't (can only think of two users in the thread who have complained about it regularly) the common complaints revolve around changing the personality of one character completely in localization, a specific scene/character during the story where the exposition text was heavily changed to be more cryptic/vague when it was originally much more literal/direct(to the point people were getting really different impressions about what was going on depending on what language you played in), and finally some people don't like the ye old english that peppers the localization - one of the major characters is particularly excessive with it. The theme of just wanting literal translations in general rather than lots of flowery language, or all the puns/jokes, also comes up sometimes.

Which is crazy because then we wouldn't have classics like Quake me up Before you O'Ghomoro or It's Not Lupus.

Was rolling for days after that one.

Squishy3

I just did Wanderer's Palace hard again.

FUCK THE GNATH BEAST TRIBE QUESTS WHERE MY TONBERRY BEAST TRIBE QUESTS AT

also hopefully rid the world of one more lol drg by helping him and explaining how to play the class and that the secret is to not animation lock yourself into aoes.

i don't care about the puns at all, they make me chuckle, there's just some baffling decisions made in regards to certain things, like the haurchefant decision they made early in development and then the discrepancy that inevitably resulted

BadRNG

Speaking of, how do you fit all of your DRK abilities on crossbars for controller? I've been messing with different ways to do it but I hate everything I've done so far.
A new player asked about this a few months ago, here is my post with my layout. The AS4 video of our first clear shows it in action better, works really well for me. I tend to heavily mirror similar skill locations across classes too so it's easier to remember/pick up after switching jobs, like the stun for all my melee go in that same spot.

The PvP stuff is admittedly awkward to get used to but I am not sure of a better alternative accounting for their skills on controller.

Thanks for the feedback and especially for keeping it spoiler-free. The part about reworking the character to sound more vague sounds like a good question to ask Koji.
He(I think it was him, if not then someone on the team) has explained their reasoning before on the cryptic change (this is separate from the personality change I mentioned). People just weren't fans of it. It's a little bit spoilerly, so after you finish the 2.x patch content stuff you can look it up on the official forums I'm sure.

aceface

I just did Wanderer's Palace hard again.

FUCK THE GNATH BEAST TRIBE QUESTS WHERE MY TONBERRY BEAST TRIBE QUESTS AT

also hopefully rid the world of one more lol drg by helping him and explaining how to play the class and that the secret is to not animation lock yourself into aoes.

i don't care about the puns at all, they make me chuckle, there's just some baffling decisions made in regards to certain things, like the haurchefant decision they made early in development and then the discrepancy that inevitably resulted

If you want more tonberry in your life do the
Scholar job quests

WolvenOne

I have a copy as well, from the same bundle. Private message me if you want it. Might be tomorrow before I get to you though, since it's late.

There was that humble bundle thing not too long ago...

I think CMagus (his avatar was a slime) was trying to get rid of copies for referrals.

ah thanks. Yeah I manage to get one for my friend

I have a copy as well, from the same bundle. Private message me if you want it. Might be tomorrow before I get to you though, since it's late.

=O sorry saw this late. My friend got it from another gaffer for 10 lol

Omni

How does Lancer/Dragoon work? I'm only level... 11, right now. Haha. But I'm not seeing a clear rotation or anything yet. Maybe I missed something. Like I see the combo: True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust (level 26)

But when do I use Impulse Drive? What about Heavy Thrust? They're on the GCD so it's confused me. This is my first melee DPS class

Oh wait. Heavy Thrust increases my damage for 12s? So I should weave that in every few 'combos' then, I suppose. Still not sure about the other though

Ken

How does Lancer/Dragoon work? I'm only level... 11, right now. Haha. But I'm not seeing a clear rotation or anything yet. Maybe I missed something. Like I see the combo: True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust > Full Thrust (level 26)

But when do I use Impulse Drive? What about Heavy Thrust? They're on the GCD so it's confused me. This is my first melee DPS class

Oh wait. Heavy Thrust increases my damage for 12s? So I should weave that in every few 'combos' then, I suppose. Still not sure about the other though

Impulse Drive doesn't get its combo until Disembowel and Chaos Thrust.

Eldren

2 Impulse Drives (180 + 180 potency) does more damage than True Thrust > Vorpal Thrust (150 + 200 potency) so you basically spam ID until you get the 3rd ability in the Thrust combo. Keep Heavy Thrust up at all times (refresh it just as it's about to drop off) and try not to fall asleep as you grind your way towards level 26.

Thorgal

I swear these type of quest keeps on amusing me :

guy behind desk : Hello traveler what brings you to us ?

me : pulls mutilated human corpse out of bag and drops it on desk " here you go "

IvorB

It's not like it's one or the other thing, now you can have VPN and handhold utility.

I think you are underselling what these could potentially do though. Since they don't appear to be able to interact with the game it won't quite reach WoW level, but based on what they say in the reddit thread you can have it monitor a huge chunk of the game for you - fight mechanics, you can get notifications when CDs are up, when pets are killed, when dots are up/need to be reapplied, when a proc fires you can have visual queues/overlays so you never miss them, MP/TP ticks. Track multiple targets at once, indepth status info for party including what sounds like remaining shield HP, regen time, heal estimates etc.

But isn't personally managing all this what constitutes playing the game? Seems weird to want to strip all this out of the gameplay and hand it over to an addon.

Use Piercing Talon and marvel at how great it feels to toss a spear at something.

myVpTfy.jpg

is lolwar a thing yet

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
These last 5 relic items are becoming a chore. Tried to do some A4 normal last night but it was failures all around and after about an hour I cleared it in DF maybe once. Not worth it.

BadRNG

Srs, is the benefits of featherfoot ever even noticed on any class?
It's decent for huge trash pulls in 4mans. That's pretty much it, PvE wise. Raid bosses can't be dodged anymore, and they stopped making the mid-tier trials like primals dodgeable as well after a certain point too. In the long long ago, before they decided to give WAR infinite TP and NIN's existed, I remember some WAR's used it along with Haymaker as a makeshift Shield Swipe since it was a net TP gain and didn't break combo. But even that was pretty rare (and that combo got helped by the fact Awareness was bad since it disabled healing crits too, what else were you going to slot?)

Still good for PvP I guess.

Valor

A new player asked about this a few months ago, here is my post with my layout. The AS4 video of our first clear shows it in action better, works really well for me. I tend to heavily mirror similar skill locations across classes too so it's easier to remember/pick up after switching jobs, like the stun for all my melee go in that same spot.
Oh yeah I remember you posting those before, my bad. I just hadn't leveled DRK yet then so I figured I'd just swap shit out and make em like my WAR/PLD bars. Doesn't work as well with DRK, I've found. I try to keep stuff consistent too but I find it hard to draw parallels with dark knight for some reason. Thanks for digging this up for me, though.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Now that level 50 BRD set I'm wondering if I should upgrade my jewelry to match? Most of it is mismatch stuff I picked from the main story quests, side quests and levemetes, between level 25 to 40.

WolvenOne

Even at end-game, not every player has a good support network to let them know when they're doing something unwise. So I'm not going to sit and laugh at a less then optimal cross-class setup. Lack of knowledge isn't the same thing as stupidity, after all.

Squishy3

Even at end-game, not every player has a good support network to let them know when they're doing something unwise. So I'm not going to sit and laugh at a less then optimal cross-class setup. Lack of knowledge isn't the same thing as stupidity, after all.
It's lack of knowledge and the adamant refusal to acknowledge it that makes a bad player/asshole.

Guy was decked out in raid gear and savage drops. :V

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Now that level 50 BRD set I'm wondering if I should upgrade my jewelry to match? Most of it is mismatch stuff I picked from the main story quests, side quests and levemetes, between level 25 to 40.

You can buy some decent stuff from the vendors.

BadRNG

It's not that I'm surprised people would use it, just pondering the merits of it really.
Some people find enjoyment in different things? I don't know, I think some people just want to push buttons and do fights without lots of micro management. I agree with your general sentiment about it stripping away part of what makes the game what it is, but it's not really weird to me either. Not much of a merit in it, or a demerit, it just is.

Oh yeah I remember you posting those before, my bad. I just hadn't leveled DRK yet then so I figured I'd just swap shit out and make em like my WAR/PLD bars. Doesn't work as well with DRK, I've found. I try to keep stuff consistent too but I find it hard to draw parallels with dark knight for some reason. Thanks for digging this up for me, though.
I think the hardest part for DRK is finding a setup that keeps Dark Arts, and the rest of your oGCDs, in a good spot for rhythm purposes. Especially DA since you use it so so much. The rest of the stuff has a pretty strong correlation to the rest of the tanks kits.

There's being ignorant from lack of knowledge, and then there's just being an idiot even with said knowledge. Dude knew he couldn't keep aggro, knew what provoke did, and refused to use it because reasons. Not sure how you can defend that.

Here's my setup as well if it helps:
http://imgur.com/a/p1X43

(Living Dead is on the third palette along with Limit Break)

Grisby

Got that Void Ark Hat of Healing today, Thing is freaking stylin'. Has a glowey end to it and everything.

Makes up for the two implosion groups that I had today. Get up to the next to last boss and everyone just drops. Of course, I don't blame people for it as other party members were rolling straight in without ready checks followed by a Bard just rushing lone wolf in while everyone is discussing stuff.

It's good to see the spirit of Leeroy Jenkins is still alive.

What are you guys looking for most in 3.2 that HASN'T been officially announced yet? Like, things that you would put on your 3.2 wishlist.

For me personally I hope there's big fishing, new glamour items from fish desynth, and challenge achievements like WoW had. And for the love of god, please, achievements for doing stuff with Min IL option...

Caj814

4 unidentified items left with the plan laid out to complete it tomorrow

1 from allied seals 930/1000 after a couple of hunts

1 from vanu daily

1 from tomes either from a hunt A-train or after finishing DRs

1 from Alexander tokens

Ken

What are you guys looking for most in 3.2 that HASN'T been officially announced yet? Like, things that you would put on your 3.2 wishlist.

For me personally I hope there's big fishing, new glamour items from fish desynth, and challenge achievements like WoW had. And for the love of god, please, achievements for doing stuff with Min IL option...

Butts.

Top Bottom