• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Thorgal

Hmm, just crashed while in a dungeon and now trying to log in i'm constantly getting error 90002 & have to wait in queue on each attempt, which seems weird for this time of day. Anyone else having issues?
There is a post on the forum stating that certain servers are having technical difficulties. Mostly na based ones

Baleoce

EDIT: Is your profile pic Ace Rimmer?

pIUIj6Z.gif

In the flesh.

KuroNeeko

Same. Excalibur.

We will be performing emergency maintenance on several Worlds at the time below. During this period, the Worlds listed below will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Jan. 15, 2016 3:15 a.m. to 3:45 a.m. (PST)
* Completion time is subject to change.

[Affected Worlds]
Several Primal Data Center Worlds:
・Behemoth
・Brynhildr
・Diabolos
・Excalibur
・Exodus
・Lamia
・Leviathan
・Malboro
・Ultros

Omni

I don't know what pop numbers are like for Lamia, but Ultros is not super active. It is a bit exaggerated just how dead it is, and if you play during peak time you should find plenty of people to do stuff (especially in FC), but it's not one of the biggest servers or anything. If you just want steady amount of people to play with for casual content, and are in NA, it's not a bad choice for the GAF fc.
Oooh, okay. I kinda play all over the place since I'm on break from uni and have a lot of free time. I guess there's nothing wrong with Lamia... buuuuut.

Thanks!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
During A3S progression, when I swapped from Au Ra to Lalafell I also swapped my deity-whatever from Nophica to Nymeia to give me the most water resist lol.

I should remember to change back on the next Fantasia cause whew.
Changing away from Nophica? What's wrong with you?

iammeiam

On the one hand I'm way too lazy to use pre written ACT triggers to tell me when stuff is going to happen.

On the other hand this Aetherflow thing apparently enables mount music customization so... Moderate hype?

scy

Basically, it'll be a lite version of WoW add-ons done primarily via overlays rather than within the game. Might make for interesting triggers for procs and warnings at a level beyond ACT.

On the other hand this Aetherflow thing apparently enables mount music customization so... Moderate hype?

dying dying electricity forever

Jayhawk

On the one hand I'm way too lazy to use pre written ACT triggers to tell me when stuff is going to happen.

Angary Combat Tracker coming out this year then? Turns everything into lalafells somehow.

Squishy3

BadRNG

I thought you guys were talking about the long talked about official addon support at first. It's almost sad that we are getting a full addon suite fanmade before the lazy bums at SE actually create it.

Reading into it, the potential sounds pretty crazy, the PS4/PC divide might about to get real if people start requiring notDBM for things. You could already go down that route a bit with ACT timers but if it's like WoW things can get a lot more fancy/handholdy. Literally every mechanic announced with big signs, even instructions of what do.

Can't wait for the UI options though.

WolvenOne

If I remember correctly, this add-on project grew out of a program that was simply going to put down overlays for hitting positionals and such. Sorta put out a little graphic to indicate back/flank etc.

I was kinda tempted for that alone, I play dragoon infrequently enough that I still occasionally draw a blank for a moment whether the blood of the dragon move that's procced is the flank or back positional. It was even a bigger problem when I was leveling monk, again, it was just something I did so infrequently.

Kinda curious what else people will be able to make out of this thing. Though what I'd really like is a UI modifier that did a better job letting me toggle between defiance/deliverance then the Macro I have set up. The macro usually works, but it does bug out occasionally. <_<;;

iammeiam

Angary Combat Tracker coming out this year then? Turns everything into lalafells somehow.

Insulted you think I need an add-on. Get hyped for all lalafell by T8S.

???? So that means no more shitty house music anymore?

You serious? I will have to get this then...

They say:

the framework provides current zone information, so an addon that plays a custom song when you enter a zone, mount up, etc is easy to make.

Jayhawk

I might have to write my own custom lua scripts with this framework. Being able to monitor DoTs on multiple targets opens up new Fracture possibilities! A script that tracks when a healer is spamming damage-dealing spells without cleric's stance, so I can laugh... or when a healer is spamming heals with cleric's stance on, so I can laugh.

I am guessing quite a few of the addons will have hand-holding for various DPS rotations, emphasizing which GCD is 'optimal' to use next based on current DoT, debuff, and buff timings.

There better be an addon that can allow me to mute lalafell emotes on command.

iammeiam

Gonna be honest, there is no mod out there that would slant things as heavily towards PC players as WTFast or similar VPN services are for anybody stuck with terrible Level3 routing. A thing telling you what is coming up or where to stand or what button to push is great, but actually having the buttons I press consistently register is an insanely big deal. I know you can accomplish similar via router-level VPN, but it's not super user friendly.

Kinda curious what else people will be able to make out of this thing. Though what I'd really like is a UI modifier that did a better job letting me toggle between defiance/deliverance then the Macro I have set up. The macro usually works, but it does bug out occasionally. <_<;;

It can only read from memory, not write. So it can change displays based on data, but cannot actually do anything to the game. Soooo your macro lives on.

Jayhawk

My first use of the addon framework will be to improve the hotbar menus I use on the bottom left of my interface to switch jobs/classes, place markers, send hunt party invites, and spam emotes. A hotbar having 12 slots, but the game having 13 jobs means my job-switching hotbar is incomplete!

BadRNG

Gonna be honest, there is no mod out there that would slant things as heavily towards PC players as WTFast or similar VPN services are for anybody stuck with terrible Level3 routing. A thing telling you what is coming up or where to stand or what button to push is great, but actually having the buttons I press consistently register is an insanely big deal. I know you can accomplish similar via router-level VPN, but it's not super user friendly.
It's not like it's one or the other thing, now you can have VPN and handhold utility.

I think you are underselling what these could potentially do though. Since they don't appear to be able to interact with the game it won't quite reach WoW level, but based on what they say in the reddit thread you can have it monitor a huge chunk of the game for you - fight mechanics, you can get notifications when CDs are up, when pets are killed, when dots are up/need to be reapplied, when a proc fires you can have visual queues/overlays so you never miss them, MP/TP ticks. Track multiple targets at once, indepth status info for party including what sounds like remaining shield HP, regen time, heal estimates etc.

The fact the game has such a long GCD time will make it even stronger, as you get extra time to do X or Y. A lot of the "skill" in this game is just monitoring your crap while doing a dance, this could make the monitoring aspect massively simpler while reminding you what the next dance step is. A lot of it is essentially a massive QoL boost, but the quality gets so much better than it effectively makes things easier as it gets harder to fuck up. How many times have we wiped because someone forgot mechanic X or saw a dps loss because we forgot to do CD/pot/proc Y. Lag fucks everyone up sometimes, sometimes all night long, but user error is generally a far bigger culprit.

And yeah I know, ACT can do some of what I said already, but to get everything requires a lot of work and customization. Much like your VPN/WTFast example, the easier and intuitive it is to step up the more people will use it. Having huge major stuff pre-packaged by developers that you just "plugin" so to speak makes things a lot easier.

......sigh..
It's one extra button, not even on the GCD, stop being so lazy.

iammeiam

It's not like it's one or the other thing, now you can have VPN and handhold utility.
(more stuff)

It's less I'm being reductive about what the tool adds and more the reality of the Level3 situation is that it would have rendered the game unplayable for me for most of December, and it's still happening. It was dropped commands in the best of scenarios, but ridiculous rubberbanding and damage registering at the same time the AOE marked appeared nigh-constantly during primetime every day. Aetherflow will make the game easier probably, but WTFast is the only reason I can actually rely on being able to play at all at this point since it's no longer daily but still a pretty frequent issue.

WolvenOne

It's one extra button, not even on the GCD, stop being so lazy.

You clearly don't know how my Deliverance/Defiance macro works. It's actually two buttons, but each button swaps out all the Deliverance/Defiance exclusive abilities on my cross-bar. I literally could not find enough space for all of my abilities otherwise, and even there I had to move a few lower priority skills to my keyboard.

The problem is that occasionally the macro activates and swaps out all of my abilities appropriately, but because of animation locks or something my stance doesn't actually switch over from deliverance to defiance or vice versa. When this happens I often have to drop the stances entirely in order to reset it, though sometimes I can tap the appropriate button again and get the stance swap to occur correctly.

This does not happen very often at all, but it'd be really nice to have something that's more reliable still. Rather a shame they couldn't just have Inner-Beast/Fell Cleave and Steel Cyclone/Decimate, change dynamically based on your stance, because that would have simplified things tremendously!!

BadRNG

So is it trash or not. Kagari says no, but nin py says OT says yes and is always right, but Kagari said no in the OT, but.../explode

SE servers are terrible
I get what you are saying, it's just I was talking on broader scales. The severity of the L3 issue seems to have increased since November (though it's always been an intermittent thing It think?) but it's not effecting every user same way. Not every PS4 player, or PC for that matter, is dealing with it or at the same severity. With the addon situation, if they are as robust as they claim and they become popular, it could like literally cause a PS4/PC divide to the point people requiring it just to raid like you see in other games. Or hell like the "no PS3 player" nonsense you saw at launch when speed runs were the big thing and PS3 took too long to load.

You clearly don't know how my Deliverance/Defiance macro works. It's actually two buttons, but each button swaps out all the Deliverance/Defiance exclusive abilities on my cross-bar. I literally could not find enough space for all of my abilities otherwise, and even there I had to move a few lower priority skills to my keyboard.
I assumed it was a shared alternating button, so yeah I was wrong, but it's surprising to me you are that hurt for bars. Is it PVP skills or something? As is I have enough spots for everything on WAR even on controller. I think the only thing I'm hurt for on it is SCH for all the pet nonsense.

Rather than tying it to the skill itself, you could create the hotbar switch separately and have the skills themselves on those bars. This guarantees you always get the switch/stance you want and you don't have to fiddle around too much mid-fight if it doesn't fire properly. It also will allow you to queue the skills properly so even if you do it mid-animation it should still fire.

WolvenOne

So is it trash or not. Kagari says no, but nin py says OT says yes and is always right, but Kagari said no in the OT, but.../explode

I get what you are saying, it's just I was talking on broader scales. The severity of the L3 issue seems to have increased since November (though it's always been an intermittent thing It think?) but it's not effecting every user same way. Not every PS4 player, or PC for that matter, is dealing with it or at the same severity. With the addon situation, if they are as robust as they claim and they become popular, it could like literally cause a PS4/PC divide to the point people requiring it just to raid like you see in other games. Or hell like the "no PS3 player" nonsense you saw at launch when speed runs were the big thing and PS3 took too long to load.

I assumed it was a shared alternating button, so yeah I was wrong, but it's surprising to me you are that hurt for bars. Is it PVP skills or something? As is I have enough spots for everything on WAR even on controller. I think the only thing I'm hurt for on it is SCH for all the pet nonsense.

Rather than tying it to the skill itself, you could create the hotbar switch separately and have the skills themselves on those bars. This guarantees you always get the switch/stance you want and you don't have to fiddle around too much mid-fight if it doesn't fire properly. It also will allow you to queue the skills properly so even if you do it mid-animation it should still fire.

Dunno how we're doing things differently, all I know is that the way I've done it leaves me with relatively few slots to work it. XD

KuroNeeko

can finally ask him why english translation is trash tier

Are you talking about ARR?

If so, then I've worked with plenty of game localizers who disagree with you.

FFXIV is one of the best cases of localization that I have seen and I've been working in that field for about eight years now.

If you still believe it to be "trash tier," I'd honestly be interested in hearing more about why you think so.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

Cool. The current mount theme makes me think I'm in Banaza.

BadRNG

What, you mean you didn't know they made fairy knockback gameplay changes in localization?

Are you talking about ARR?

If so, then I've worked with plenty of game localizers who disagree with you.

FFXIV is one of the best cases of localization that I have seen and I've been working in that field for about eight years now.

If you still believe it to be "trash tier," I'd honestly be interested in hearing more about why you think so.
Pretty sure he was joking, but for those that aren't (can only think of two users in the thread who have complained about it regularly) the common complaints revolve around changing the personality of one character completely in localization, a specific scene/character during the story where the exposition text was heavily changed to be more cryptic/vague when it was originally much more literal/direct(to the point people were getting really different impressions about what was going on depending on what language you played in), and finally some people don't like the ye old english that peppers the localization - one of the major characters is particularly excessive with it. The theme of just wanting literal translations in general rather than lots of flowery language, or all the puns/jokes, also comes up sometimes.

Which is crazy because then we wouldn't have classics like Quake me up Before you O'Ghomoro or It's Not Lupus.

Top Bottom