• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

There's being ignorant from lack of knowledge, and then there's just being an idiot even with said knowledge. Dude knew he couldn't keep aggro, knew what provoke did, and refused to use it because reasons. Not sure how you can defend that.

I know, I get it, I just think people are sometimes a bit over eager to berate others. Generally I don't like that, so my first impulse is to try to caution people away from that.

This is also why I often play devils advocate for unpopular decisions and views. Often feels like SOMEONE should.

BadRNG

What are you guys looking for most in 3.2 that HASN'T been officially announced yet? Like, things that you would put on your 3.2 wishlist.
It's tough, I can't actually think of anything I want that's small enough for them not to of talked about but would be important to me. Maybe a parry rework to go with the vitality/strength rework? Maybe that's not very small. They've been pretty good about the QoL stuff up until now, and the remaining improvements I'd want - more inventory, permanent glamor catalog kindadeal, bigger armory - have been shot down already because of various reasons
ps3 limitations

Honestly at this point I'm just hoping they don't fuck up the stuff they have officially announced.

Secrets revealed! Angary isn;t really human, just a hivemind of pugs!
Was it really a secret? I mean, really, I think on some level we all knew.

This is also why I often play devils advocate for unpopular decisions and views. Often feels like SOMEONE should.
Like, I get it, you want to give people the benefit of the doubt. But at a point I can't really disagree harder, and I think way too many people are overeager to play devil's advocate when the situation doesn't call for it. Sometimes it's the devil's side for a reason, and the two views/decisions/whathaveyou are not equal and shouldn't be treated with the same level of understanding or respect. It's like those TV panels that bring out the scientist with an expertise in the subject and the guy who goes on his feelings/gut/millennium old book yet the show acts as if the latter view should even be considered in the same light as the former. That dude shouldn't even be on the stage. And this is probably not the place for this dicussion.
and I might regret continuing this when I wake up if I ever manage to got o sleep

Granted all that, this situation is a bit different since it's just a funny pic of someone doing something stupid. But I'd say it's ok to laugh at that guy because people doing stupid things is funny. It's not like a deep personal attack on the guy, he doesn't need defending (and your defense didn't even make sense).

Guess Who

Banned
What are you guys looking for most in 3.2 that HASN'T been officially announced yet? Like, things that you would put on your 3.2 wishlist.

For me personally I hope there's big fishing, new glamour items from fish desynth, and challenge achievements like WoW had. And for the love of god, please, achievements for doing stuff with Min IL option...

i will put "fix bard" on my wishlist forever until it happens

I played with a tank that didn't know how to tank in halatali so I just straight up told the guy he sucked and should learn before queuing for another dungeon if he didnt want to waste ppl's time. Same thing what that warrior w/ featherfoot. There is being uninformed and then there's just plain stupidity. If you are 60 and haven't realized feather foot sucks, then you need to get your shit called out. Just wasting other people's time. Feather foot isnt even worth using in pvp so idk why he even put it on his bar.

IvorB

Some people find enjoyment in different things? I don't know, I think some people just want to push buttons and do fights without lots of micro management. I agree with your general sentiment about it stripping away part of what makes the game what it is, but it's not really weird to me either. Not much of a merit in it, or a demerit, it just is.

Yeah each to their own I guess.

For me personally I hope there's big fishing, new glamour items from fish desynth, and challenge achievements like WoW had. And for the love of god, please, achievements for doing stuff with Min IL option...

Some more buffs for BLM would always be welcome.

Haha, you guys are taking the Featherfoot thing way too seriously. I just thought it was goofy and funny, even in the middle of an extended A1N grind to get my last couple of tokens. It just seemed like such a lolwar thing to do and the guy obviously knew what he was doing otherwise, so I had to laugh. If I wanted to call him out I wouldn't have blanked his name. :V

More coats and fewer robes/dresses for casters.

Thorgal

Personally , the one thing i am looking forward most in 3.2 is the better scaling for higher resolutions . I can easely fo up to 4k and still have a decent framerate but i need a magnifying glass to see or read anything :^P

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

This kind of stuff would be nice to have. There were so many of them in WoW. It was nice to have random DF groups go for achievements. Broke up the monotony of the grind a bit.

iammeiam

Am I a pug or a potato? You can't be racist towards both at me.

-We have fixed bard; attempting to equip a bow now replaces it with a gun and the Machinist job stone.

Ehhh, unless they do something to fix secondary scaling for MCH Bard will probably pull cleanly ahead by a decent chunk this upcoming tier or next. They get more out of SkillSpeed than we do, and Crit is so ridiculously OP for them that they'll basically gain an extra DEX's worth of weight every like 15 points of Crit. We have a small edge on DET but it's really small, and if the other secondary on the gear is anything other than ACC Bard still probably gets more out of it.

Luckily this is to coincide with the kinder, gentler DPS checks next tier so it shouldn't really matter, and the penalty for the bard stat scaling is, you know, having to play HW bard, so.

Redx508

pugtato_426.jpg

found it

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's okay, when they realize nobody wants MCH anymore they'll promise to fix it and do just that just in time for 3.4!

iammeiam

petition for angary to change avatar to this

What's in it for me?

It's okay, when they realize nobody wants MCH anymore they'll promise to fix it and do just that just in time for 3.4!

Nobody has ever wanted MCH. That hasn't really stopped me so far. As long as they don't, like, remove procs entirely I'll live. Secondary stat scaling fixes is just my one unannounced 3.2 change I'd like to see.

Thorgal

So here's a question : i know binding Macro's to skills is a huge dps loss so i am not doing that .

that being said , what about macro- ing dragoons wheeling thrust and fang and claw to one button so it will activate the one that gets randomly picked by rng , leaving me only having to position myself right ?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Nobody has ever wanted MCH. That hasn't really stopped me so far. As long as they don't, like, remove procs entirely I'll live. Secondary stat scaling fixes is just my one unannounced 3.2 change I'd like to see.
That isn't true. If you're running 3 melee there's zero reason to take BRD over MCH since 6/8 now benefit from Hypercharge.

iammeiam

So here's a question : i know binding Macro's to skills is a huge dps loss so i am not doing that .

that being said , what about macro- ing dragoons wheeling thrust and fang and claw to one button so it will activate the one that gets randomly picked by rng , leaving me only having to position myself right ?

Same issue as any macro; you can't queue a macro, meaning you have to hit the button after your GCD is up. With a normal skill if you push it slightly before the GCD is up, the game queues the command and executes it as soon as it can. You're still going to lose fractions of a second every time you hit the macro, so it's still better to not have it than to have it.

That isn't true. If you're running 3 melee there's zero reason to take BRD over MCH since 6/8 now benefit from Hypercharge.

I don't even know what you think you're arguing against here. You don't need to convince me MCH is viable. My point was that popular opinion has been against MCH since day 1; secondary scaling issues is a concern on some level, but it's not going to ruin the popularity of a job that basically had none to start with in the minds of the general player base.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't even know what you think you're arguing against here. You don't need to convince me MCH is viable. My point was that popular opinion has been against MCH since day 1; secondary scaling issues is a concern on some level, but it's not going to ruin the popularity of a job that basically had none to start with in the minds of the general player base.
I'm pretty sure people for whom this actually matters know this and the rest... why play with them? There's plenty of successful machinists in the endgame and it's definitely not in as much of a bad spot as astrologians are in public eyes. It's just... well, it's a tricky class to use right. Anecdotally these days I encounter a lot more machinists than astrologians, aside from an occasional glamour farm because AST is flashy and attracts people who like to be stylish.

MogCakes

I'm thinking of changing to MCH main because it's fun to play. So far my DPS is at or above most people I encounter, but I'm not anywhere near end-game level with this class yet.

Valor

Basically the answer is

Same issue as any macro; you can't queue a macro, meaning you have to hit the button after your GCD is up. With a normal skill if you push it slightly before the GCD is up, the game queues the command and executes it as soon as it can. You're still going to lose fractions of a second every time you hit the macro, so it's still better to not have it than to have it.

But also you wanna use geirskogul before some of those fourth hits you're gonna get super screwed because of the flat out delay that it'll have. Delaying GCDs when you have several ticking cooldowns is gonna screw you over pretty often. I would recommend figuring out a way to get used to it. It's really not too bad? Thrust in the butt, Claw on the flank.

BadRNG

This kind of stuff would be nice to have. There were so many of them in WoW. It was nice to have random DF groups go for achievements. Broke up the monotony of the grind a bit.
Ooh if we going down WoW route I want some global FC achievements. That could actually be pretty cool way to promote more FC activity without making it about gardening or sky hunts or something dumb like that.

Also to copy good WoW idea, this got me thinking, Heirloom-style gear would be nice. For those that don't know it was gear that increased EXP gain and leveled with you. This would be really cool way to save on inventory space when leveling classes, just one set of gear of each type (tank, heal, etc) that would adjust it's level/stats based on what class equipped it. Could cap the level it scales to based on certain requirements like WoW did as well, like you have to have a 60 job and maybe spend tomes or something so that it will scale past 1-50. That way it's just a tool for people to level alt stuff faster with less inventory clutter, not something that invalidates all equal level gear for new people. Then you could put it in armoire when done.

Am I a pug or a potato? You can't be racist towards both at me.
You completely got the wrong impression of me. I'm only racist towards half of you.Pugs are pretty cool. If there was a pug race, and you were converting everyone to pugism, I'd understand more.

Hopefully they wouldn't be restricted to pugilist though.

(I'll show myself out)

Tomat

Ooh if we going down WoW route I want some global FC achievements. That could actually be pretty cool way to promote more FC activity without making it about gardening or sky hunts or something dumb like that.

Also to copy good WoW idea, this got me thinking, Heirloom-style gear would be nice. For those that don't know it was gear that increased EXP gain and leveled with you. This would be really cool way to save on inventory space when leveling classes, just one set of gear of each type (tank, heal, etc) that would adjust it's level/stats based on what class equipped it. Could cap the level it scales to based on certain requirements like WoW did as well, like you have to have a 60 job and maybe spend tomes or something so that it will scale past 1-50. That way it's just a tool for people to level alt stuff faster with less inventory clutter, not something that invalidates all equal level gear for new people. Then you could put it in armoire when done.
Yes to all of these. The only thing that bugged me about heirloom armor was wearing the same armor set up to near the cap. Get's a little boring, but that's what glamour is for really.

WolvenOne

Confession, when I first started this game, and everyone kept going on about how much they hate pugs, I kept wondering what was wrong with Pugilists.

Thorgal

while i understand it , i question how much of a difference that " fraction of a second" would make in a real fight scenario.

like i can see why when doing record runs or speed clears it would be paramount to shave as much time off as possible for maximum dps . but for your regular duty/trial roulette , i don't really see it making the difference between victory or death .

iammeiam

Hopefully they wouldn't be restricted to pugilist though.

(I'll show myself out)

Makoto's terrible influence grows.

while i understand it , i question how much of a difference that " fraction of a second" would make in a real fight scenario.

like i can see why when doing record runs or speed clears it would be paramount to shave as much time off as possible for maximum dps . but for your regular duty/trial roulette , i don't really see it making the difference between victory or death .

In regular duty finder/trial roulette, you can beat it without ever popping Blood of the Dragon in the first place. Macros add up over the course of the fight, and building muscle memory to always hit the same button regardless of the skill triggered is going to essentially foster bad habits, but you'll be able to clear casual content with it (by the same token, you could macro all your oGCD buffs to one button and just hit it between GCDs; DPS loss to be sure, but nothing that will prevent you from finishing Arboretum.)

To put it another way, for DPS skills the answer to "Should I macro?" will almost always be No. The answer to "Can I get away with it?" will generally be Yes.

BadRNG

Any loss in GCD time adds up over time, and while singular instances aren't much the more it happens the more noticeable it becomes. If it's a macro you barely use it won't be as big deal, but if it's a basic part of your skills then it's not a great idea. If it doesn't just not queue, and actually doesn't fire at all, it can end up costing you more than a fraction of a second. There's also the instances where you may miss critical buff windows due to these delays. Even one single GCD lost during a major cooldown can be fairly noticeable in the end.

This is part of why latency is such a huge issue for certain classes, the ones that need to use multiple oGCDs in a single GCD window, depending on your latency you can lose a small amount of time. NIN was notorious for this with their mudras pre-fix. People were losing less than a second of time every 20s or so, and for some it was bad enough that actually using a less damaging skill (one that cost one less oGCD) ended up making them do more damage.

You're right though that your average duty/roulette it won't matter, but then very little does in those, they are brain dead easy or often overgeared upon release. I don't think there's been a real DPS check in anything that's released DFable since like, the original trio of extreme primals? But it's still nice to develop good habits.

Makoto's terrible influence grows.
I already broke free of his gatcha spells, I suppose it makes sense he gets you some other way instead.

edgefusion

In 3.2 I would like more monk chests that don't have odd things hanging off the sides which clip through the weapons. Things such as bags, or poofy bits, or side-thigh armour. Or just waist length armour that doesn't have some long, flowing component to it.
And cut it out with the long coats, enough is enough.

I'd like some linkshell management tools too. I've somehow come to be the operator of Odins only LGBT linkshell. I fear going forward managing it is going to get tricky when all I have to work with is a big list of names.

Tomat

Actually wondering if I'd like Post 3.0 Bard more than Pre 3.0. Not sure how I'm feeling about it now that I hit 50. Feels a bit more complicated than people made it out to be (having so many damage buffs is weird to me).

It's not THAT bad, just not used to it yet I guess.

Jeels

Two more ponies (ifrit and Titan) left...sitting through 8 people getting a pony is pretty grueling. I'm running out of podcasts.

Squishy3

Two more ponies (ifrit and Titan) left...sitting through 8 people getting a pony is pretty grueling. I'm running out of podcasts.
I only have Ifrit and Leviathan left, but I haven't exactly been doing it. What time I've spent playing has been doing Alex and beast tribe quests.

Top Bottom