• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Sorian

Banned
Yep :/ sorry though, explicit callouts probably not warranted. If people want to know who it was they can find it like you did.

For the record, I have no issue with someone having a bad opinion of me, but I would at least prefer they say it to my face so I can either work on that or just ignore them if they're being an ass. Going to another public forum to shit talk me for something that has nothing to do with them though is pretty rude and cowardly. This person never even said anything to my face (or ear I guess), and instead felt it was ok to say what he did.

I think you are the worst. absolutelydisgusting.jpg

/s

scy

I can't believe I am about to say this, but why not apply some of the relic meta to the tome grind. No no wait, I'm serious, put pitchforks down.

Yeah, basically. I'd be all over a Savage Dungeon thing that is just harder to do but much better for rewards (raid + Savage Dungeon to cap in like half the runs per week!). Just simply being able to scale dungeons up to 60 and current ilvl would be a nice start for things.

Harder 4 man content is a sore spot in the game and it'd be a nice stepping stone for people. Bonus tomes and dyeable gear would fit a lot of the reward curve for people. And this is definitely the kind of content reuse that they could get away with doing. It doesn't prevent the use of them for actual HM variants and it's more of an added bonus incentive. Make it change per week so it's not "farm the easiest Savage Dungeon" as well. Just do something with that vacant content spot.

IvorB

Yep :/ sorry though, explicit callouts probably not warranted. If people want to know who it was they can find it like you did.

For the record, I have no issue with someone having a bad opinion of me, but I would at least prefer they say it to my face so I can either work on that or just ignore them if they're being an ass. Going to another public forum to shit talk me for something that has nothing to do with them though is pretty rude and cowardly. This person never even said anything to my face (or ear I guess), and instead felt it was ok to say what he did.

Is it someone from GAF? I'm almost curious enough to go looking for it; hasn't been any good drama around here in a while...

BadRNG

They'd just need to make sure not to fall into the trap of making the dungeon have higher ilevel gear, it will just become "required" then. Needs to be optional path. Same ilevel but dyable would work well.

Make it change per week so it's not "farm the easiest Savage Dungeon" as well. Just do something with that vacant content spot.
This would be really cool addition, rotating "challenge mode" dungeon. Satisfies people's want for middle tier content while keeping things fresh.

Is it someone from GAF? I'm almost curious enough to go looking for it; hasn't been any good drama around here in a while...
Really shouldn't push the drama in here too far. Things could get out of control.

Sorian

Banned
Either we create drama in the OT or we talk about poison pots and I know poison pots don't work on HW enemies so we only have one choice.

Allard

Personally I think they need a darkcloud/nyzul style dungeon system into the game. They already created dungeons with multiple paths so they can make HM versions later, why not make 3-4 paths that vary based on intersection with bosses and when you enter a dungeon it is 'set' to a specific but random path. The key is you are not allowed to choose the path so you can't just always pick the most mind numbing but efficient one. Mobs in those random paths would also not always be the same amount or clustered exactly the same but had an easy variable algorithm that they could test the content.

As others have pointed out the key issue with the dungeons is the mind numbing and linear focus they became in this game. I don't want them to lose the meta game surrounding the duty finder, but when you go into a dungeon you shouldn't always know exactly what to expect, only what might appear. That slight change would, in my opinion, greatly reduce grind fatigue those types of dungeons give and keep players focused on playing the environment rather then playing the wheel of efficiency at least for a time. I would also love a bit more randomness in the boss fights as well, I actually appreciate the final boss in Stone Vigil HM for instance because you were forced to pay attention to animation and recognizing move types if you wanted to avoid damage as other then the split off, nothing was timed, and nothing was hp based.

iammeiam

I'm so bored I just watched all the Alexander cutscenes.

This game is dumb.

(also we're so shit tier we didn't even drac pot on 4 so you can probably yell at us for that. but fuck drac pots.)

Valor

Okay, Cloud.
I'm not Cloud anymore. His courage carried me to decent parses yesterday but A4S fell super flat.
one's a catboy and the other is a midlander. I believe both have no room to talk
Fantasia into a cuter au ra plz
Imagine the laugh I got from the WAR in my old group (who played MNK in the A3S solo tank clear video) who messaged me asking if I know a person from Ultros.

Turns out that person had gone into the FFXIV forums thread of their clear to congratulate the group... and shit talk me thinking I was the MNK in the video and had changed names. Then realised he got the wrong person!

Not going to name any names, but you know who you are, and you're a fucking moron and a coward. I hope you feel like a twat. And I'll remember it next time you send me a message asking to join a static I'm running.
Don't make me go to the official forums, damn you!

scy

They'd just need to make sure not to fall into the trap of making the dungeon have higher ilevel gear, it will just become "required" then. Needs to be optional path. Same ilevel but dyable would work well.

Depends? I think a gap could be filled with, say, i195 gear as a target for after Alex Normal but before Alex Savage and without invalidating Tome gear (and eventual 24-man drops). Have it always fill this niche per tier since you really only need to update the chest contents and put the old vanity things elsewhere (i.e., renamed crafting later). Alternatively, depending on how crafting works out next tier, this could be a decent way to make crafting the new relevant gear easier to obtain as well via, say, HQ mats from here vs easier to obtain NQ elsewhere. Incentives for that inbetween level without stepping on too many toes.

Alternatively, just a source of coupons for materia and other such items ala Diadem.

This would be really cool addition, rotating "challenge mode" dungeon. Satisfies people's want for middle tier content while keeping things fresh.

It's a thing I'm surprised they haven't embraced yet somehow. Before it was thought about a Weekly Coil Turn as some incentive to use them but that never really fit a difficult spot. I think just creating the assets to A) Scale up old dungeons / content and B) Generically add new elements would give them a lot of flexibility in content reuse long-term? Given the amount of old dungeons in the game, they don't even need to use the HM versions to realistically have enough dungeons to last an entire patch cycle without a single one reused AND they already really have in-game mechanics to handwave off why they're like that!

I dunno. I'm just intrigued at the idea of Level 60 variants of the old dungeons with added generic existing mechanics randomly just for the sake of difficulty. No need for it to make logical sense why they occur, just chalk it up to the Wandering Minstrel embellishing the story somewhat. That's totally why Aiatar just hit a Teraflare. Meant to be difficult and hard but mostly kind of chaotic and not a thing you're constantly farming.

BadRNG

As others have pointed out the key issue with the dungeons is the mind numbing and linear focus they became in this game.
This is pretty much what players asked for, though. Until they offer another path to get the tomes, there's no singular change to dungeons that will fix them as is. They are designed to be mindless and efficient because the team learned that is how players will want/treat them. Any changes need to come to the entire tome system or by adding a similar alternative to the mind numbing efficiency. Adding RNG to mob/map design by itself will just piss people off and ask for the old style. It'd need to be it's own thing or offer way better rewards.

Then none of you shitters would have had an excuse to complain about A4S for so long. Also, world first would have happened in a week. Poison pots were the real issue.
Since when do we need an excuse to complain. You can't tell me what to do! Rabble rabble.

Alternatively, just a source of coupons for materia and other such items ala Diadem.
I feel like people will make it required even if it isn't, just because higher number, it's the way people is. Coupon idea sounds amazing though. Game definitely going to need some several materia alternative sources if it's going to be a big, major, focus on gear moving forward like they claim it is.

Hardly server first, but hey, it's tradition:

hvergelmir3ls49.jpg

Grind wasn't too bad really; definitely one of those things where if you take your time, it's a nice little routine. Got a bunch of XP on my dragoon from doing roulettes I wouldn't normally do too (story and levelling roulettes).

Picked up the quest for the summoner book, not sure yet if I want to burn another Zeta or see what getting the crystals from FATEs is like. I have a couple of classes I wouldn't mind getting XP on and I plan to take my time anyway.

Imagine the laugh I got from the WAR in my old group (who played MNK in the A3S solo tank clear video) who messaged me asking if I know a person from Ultros.

Turns out that person had gone into the FFXIV forums thread of their clear to congratulate the group... and shit talk me thinking I was the MNK in the video and had changed names. Then realised he got the wrong person!

Not going to name any names, but you know who you are, and you're a fucking moron and a coward. I hope you feel like a twat. And I'll remember it next time you send me a message asking to join a static I'm running.

Dude. Fucking openly shame them. I don't want to play with someone like that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hardly server first, but hey, it's tradition:

Grind wasn't too bad really; definitely one of those things where if you take your time, it's a nice little routine. Got a bunch of XP on my dragoon from doing roulettes I wouldn't normally do too (story and levelling roulettes).

Picked up the quest for the summoner book, not sure yet if I want to burn another Zeta or see what getting the crystals from FATEs is like. I have a couple of classes I wouldn't mind getting XP on and I plan to take my time anyway.
It wasn't too bad but now I've run out of things to do until patch... That I want to do anyway. Time to play other games.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You're grossly overestimating how marginal the audience for savage dungeons is? Underestimating? Overestimating how big is? I'm bad at speak you get me.
I can't remember the last time I queued into a dungeon without FC mates and found myself in a party that even for me wasn't grossly incompetent. I have a couple of casual linkshells, the kind where people used to lament how they're too afraid to attempt Garuda EX and Turn 1 of Coil, and hardly anything has changed. I can imagine that the dozen devs in Yoshida's office look at all this and go "This isn't even worth paying one guy for doing for one day".

And no, this is not acceptable. But I mean... they thought that releasing the main raid without properly testing it out was okay.

BadRNG

You're grossly overestimating how marginal the audience for savage dungeons is? Underestimating? Overestimating how big is? I'm bad at speak you get me.
I can't remember the last time I queued into a dungeon without FC mates and found myself in a party that even for me wasn't grossly incompetent. I have a couple of casual linkshells, the kind where people used to lament how they're too afraid to attempt Garuda EX and Turn 1 of Coil, and hardly anything has changed. I can imagine that the dozen devs in Yoshida's office look at all this and go "This isn't even worth paying one guy for doing for one day".
Well it's just savage in name convention, I'm not exactly calling for 4man A4S here. Just, you know, actually a bit challenging. Like maybe a little tougher than AK normal in i50 at release. Or HM primals at release (in AK gear with some DL maybe) as close baseline? Middle tier content. You don't spend days wiping to learn it, but you don't roll over it on first try either. I think there's an audience there? I feel like the game's PF/general group community was most lively back then, but that could just be Ultros dying and other servers there was never any change.

Yeah it probably wouldn't be the most DFable thing ever but that's not necessarily a sin against it. The whole point is that it's optional. It wouldn't take a ton of development time either if they are just tuning up old dungeons.

scy

There's a general lack of mid-tier content. I use the Savage naming but I don't mean it as like ... actual Savage-tier difficulty. Just not faceroll easy and in familiar enough content for people to do it. Weekly gated with minimal times to run it for full rewards so people have a thing to try throughout the week to get better at. Just a Primal-level difficulty thing that's a 4-man instance content.

They've said before they want to do harder small group content and there are people clamoring for harder dungeons. I'm simply saying to fill that gap with this kind of content rather than making tome dungeons more difficult or something else. Rehash older dungeons with them at a higher level to save on development time. Savage naming lets them use the Minstrel to explain their existence.

iammeiam

Yeah, nobody's suggesting harder dungeons for the casual crowd? It's more filing in that giant cavity where "things to do beside the main raid or one primal" currently is for the people who are at least interested in primals or raid.

Like, we have to cap tomes anyway. Maybe investigate cheap and easy ways to make it non-terrible so people don't drift off because the only thing worth being awake for in the game is 4 fights every six-ish months or 1 fight ever 3 months.

Teknoman

Personally I think they need a darkcloud/nyzul style dungeon system into the game. They already created dungeons with multiple paths so they can make HM versions later, why not make 3-4 paths that vary based on intersection with bosses and when you enter a dungeon it is 'set' to a specific but random path. The key is you are not allowed to choose the path so you can't just always pick the most mind numbing but efficient one. Mobs in those random paths would also not always be the same amount or clustered exactly the same but had an easy variable algorithm that they could test the content.

As others have pointed out the key issue with the dungeons is the mind numbing and linear focus they became in this game. I don't want them to lose the meta game surrounding the duty finder, but when you go into a dungeon you shouldn't always know exactly what to expect, only what might appear. That slight change would, in my opinion, greatly reduce grind fatigue those types of dungeons give and keep players focused on playing the environment rather then playing the wheel of efficiency at least for a time. I would also love a bit more randomness in the boss fights as well, I actually appreciate the final boss in Stone Vigil HM for instance because you were forced to pay attention to animation and recognizing move types if you wanted to avoid damage as other then the split off, nothing was timed, and nothing was hp based.

I've been wanting something like that since pre heavenward. Of course whatever new dungeons should have an element of random challenge too.

Thorgal

One thing I would like is being able to join more than one FC.

I know we have linkshells but it isn't the same.

In GW2 being able to join up to 5 guilds at once spoiled me on that point.

k1t4j

Does anyone know of a solid DK guide I could use for level 60.

I don't know if sometimes i mess up or what. The Vault final boss deals loads of damage to me and some groups just leave after a wipe.

I usualy last one alive everyone just dies and I feel that the bosses deal a lot of damage with me sitting at 10,5k HP.

I keep my rotations up and even use tank stance but this Vault dungeon is really giving me a run for my money

Ken

BnS has butts. We should get that.

Does anyone know of a solid DK guide I could use for level 60.

I don't know if sometimes i mess up or what. The Vault final boss deals loads of damage to me and some groups just leave after a wipe.

I usualy last one alive everyone just dies and I feel that the bosses deal a lot of damage with me sitting at 10,5k HP.

I keep my rotations up and even use tank stance but this Vault dungeon is really giving me a run for my money

Ser Charibert is rough since he weaves in hard-hitting attacks between autos. I also don't know if you can parry anything. I'd probably say to keep up Delirium and pop a cooldown (Shadowskin, Dark Mind, Convalesence) when burning chains go out to help out your healer, especially in the last phase when they also have to dodge Knights and Heavensflames as well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There's a general lack of mid-tier content. I use the Savage naming but I don't mean it as like ... actual Savage-tier difficulty. Just not faceroll easy and in familiar enough content for people to do it. Weekly gated with minimal times to run it for full rewards so people have a thing to try throughout the week to get better at. Just a Primal-level difficulty thing that's a 4-man instance content.

They've said before they want to do harder small group content and there are people clamoring for harder dungeons. I'm simply saying to fill that gap with this kind of content rather than making tome dungeons more difficult or something else. Rehash older dungeons with them at a higher level to save on development time. Savage naming lets them use the Minstrel to explain their existence.

I'm not arguing against midcore content, god no, what I'm saying is that SE needs a paradigm shift for the lack of a better word and instead of them incessantly complaining to us that woe-is-them they can't provide content they should make it so that they can, and they're probably not going to.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Allegedly in the Chinese version of FFXIV, A4S was cleared within 4 days of release which despite all the strats being known implies hella low item level.

Zhao_Yun

Took a semi-break for the last few weeks and only logged on to tend the FC garden or to handle FC-related issues. Trying to get back into the game now, but I feel like I am mostly socializing instead of actually doing stuff (apart from some raiding).
I am sitting at 36/80 relic items but I really don't feel like farming the rest of them for now. The stats for the DRG relic are terrible anyway, so as long as I get it done before the next step arrives, I'm good.
I also noticed that I enjoy tanking as a Warrior quite a lot. I have a question regarding cross-class skills though. Should I level my PLD to 34 for Awareness or is it not worth it?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Took a semi-break for the last few weeks and only logged on to tend the FC garden or to handle FC-related issues. Trying to get back into the game now, but I feel like I am mostly socializing instead of actually doing stuff (apart from some raiding).
I am sitting at 36/80 relic items but I really don't feel like farming the rest of them for now. The stats for the DRG relic are terrible anyway, so as long as I get it done before the next step arrives, I'm good.
I also noticed that I enjoy tanking as a Warrior quite a lot. I have a question regarding cross-class skills though. Should I level my PLD to 34 for Awareness or is it not worth it?

There's a few fights that it's helpful on but as I recall, they're all 50 content- not sure how useful it is at 60.

iammeiam

I don't do tank things but I think Awareness is still nice to have to pair with Raw Inuition maybe? Negate the autocrit if you accidentally take an attack from the wrong angle. You could also just not get hit from bad angles but cheese button is more fun.

IvorB

Really shouldn't push the drama in here too far. Things could get out of control.

This makes it sound all the more inciting to be honest but, yeah, I'm not looking for trouble.

Don't forget about Featherfoot.

scy

Yeah, you kind of want Awareness for WAR these days due to Raw Intuition. Removes the downside of it for most of the duration. They're basically two buttons you'll end up using around the same time fairly consistently.

iammeiam

That user interface tho.

Their miniparse is certainly fancier than vanilla RainbowMage. I think I've seen something similar around.

Does make me wonder if they just use ACT?

Edit: also skipping through the clear video is unsurprisingly non-productive on mobile. But Jesus their HP levels prepull.

Squishy3

Their miniparse is certainly fancier than vanilla RainbowMage. I think I've seen something similar around.

Does make me wonder if they just use ACT?
I don't have the percentages on mine (at least, I don't think) but that might have been added in an update for it.

edit: yeah, I have 0.3.3.8 and the latest one is 0.3.3.9. they're also using the streamer layout that someone made

Top Bottom