• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

Edit: also skipping through the clear video is unsurprisingly non-productive on mobile. But Jesus their HP levels prepull.

Yeah their HP levels are pretty close to current 210 hp levels. It's pretty similar to the levels that Elysium had when they cleared as well. A bit higher in some spots, lower in others.

iammeiam

Yeah their HP levels are pretty close to current 210 hp levels. It's pretty similar to the levels that Elysium had when they cleared as well. A bit higher in some spots, lower in others.

Their MCH is almost 2,000 HP below where I am in A4S I think? Given the heart attack that is watching my health bar in the back half of the fight, that HP gap seems gigantic to me.

Valor

Their MCH is almost 2,000 HP below where I am in A4S I think? Given the heart attack that is watching my health bar in the back half of the fight, that HP gap seems gigantic to me.

o_O unless we watched a different video they don't have a MCH, and their BRD's Hp is ~15337, which is more or less where my health ends up with {non-risotto} food.

scy

Yeah ... I went to check my random DPS geared alts and DRG is full i210 sans weapon (Hive) and belt (Law, apparently) and that's 14.2k HP. Out of party and without food. My MCH is around 13.2k? and that's pretty much full Law.

o_O unless we watched a different video they don't have a MCH, and their BRD's Hp is ~15337, which is more or less where my health ends up with {non-risotto} food.

Going to take a guess and say you watched this video from the comment thread there. If so, that's from back in like ... October. And is a JP group.

Caj814

Finished mines a couple nights ago.
znmrG1k.jpg

Valor

Going to take a guess and say you watched this video from the comment thread there. If so, that's from back in like ... October. And is a JP group.
Yup, that's the one I watched since I couldn't be arsed to translate the page. I figured this was the case. That explains a bit more.

Galen getting confused between Japanese and Chinese? Classic Galen!
That's what actually confused me as to why a Chinese game would be using katakana rip rip rip. I guess I won't be lazy next time. I guess it was foolish to assume the only video actually embedded on moonrunes page wouldn't be the video in question. Oh well.

edit: okay yeah, those health numbers are >_> way scarier.

Thorgal

Finally found a Reshade Profile i like .

even comes with Depth of field . ( i am not playing with it on ofcouse. i can switch it on and off with a keybind .

ffxiv_dx112016-01-192bllxu.jpg

WolvenOne

Gonna cross post this from reddit.

Hypothetically speaking, assume you're chosen to make a Savage version of an existing dungeon. What twisted evil mechanics and pit-falls do you throw in to foil our heroes? How often do you want parties to wipe? How many controllers do you want them to throw through their computer monitor? This is your chance to be satan, figuratively speaking, have fun with it!

For bonus points, which dungeons do you choose, and what sort of bosses do you pick?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So those Chinese players had Ravana weapons for their A4S clear? They must be playing some stripped down version.

BadRNG

Allegedly in the Chinese version of FFXIV, A4S was cleared within 4 days of release which despite all the strats being known implies hella low item level.
The amount of salt in the comments is hilarious. People even claiming the Chinese version must be easier and that they won't believe it's possible in 190 until a global group does it.

For those that can't view it from work/mobile/etc; group comp is WAR/DRK/NIN/DRG/MNK/MCH/SCH/WHM, the MNK didn't do dolls or anything and was just max dps all fight, they ignore the large doll entire fight so maximum whirbels, they do a bunch of shields on the doll people in final phase because of weakness. Sacs are NIN/WAR/MCH first, WAR/MCH/healer second, WAR/MCH/healer third.

Who needs casters anyway. Melee army.

iammeiam

They were full i190 with maybe an Eso accessory and they did the requisite 5 million damage for a legit kill. Based on the posted parse, reviewing parts of the clear, and talking to somebody who watched the whole thing it was indeed a legit clear. Leg HP mirrors the NA version. Triple melee+MCH, tons of regen, and they let the Straf everyone usually kills Wirble.

They appear to really be just that good. And potentially players who also play the non-China version so had experience, but it really does look like they did all the DPS.

scy

I watched the full clear, HP values of everything looked the same. My best guess is they're simply experienced from doing it on NA/JP servers before rather than some fresh group. Ninja shows his gear at the end and he's i190 and the total damage they did matches the fight anyway (13:10 timer and letting all the dolls explode lets their ~6400-ish DPS match the fight). Damage taken from things looked pretty normal (aka, MCH eats a pretty awful 8k-ish CZero, 24k Jagd Dolls so Reducible values are where they should be) too.

Just really well executed and they all know what they're doing.

aceface

Reddit mentioned this as an alternative to WTFast for people with lag: http://mudfish.net/. Apparently you pay for the amount of data you use on it, and ~$5 gets you 30GB. Since FFXIV doesn't use much data that could last months if that's all you use it for. Someone try it and let me know how it works. Lag has been killing people I play with lately.

BadRNG

One of the "China edition not same" arguments wasn't Manipulator had less hp/did less damage, but that the player calculations on damage must not be the same. People just having trouble believing they put out that much dps in 190.

I think it's legit though, just perfect group composition with experienced/skilled players.

Jayhawk

One of the "China edition not same" arguments wasn't Manipulator had less hp/did less damage, but that the player calculations on damage must not be the same. People just having trouble believing they put out that much dps in 190.

I think it's legit though, just perfect group composition with experienced/skilled players.

Chinese ACT padding the DPS numbers!

scy

Well, at least that's an argument that makes more sense than the numbers not lining up. If the video ever just plays normally, though, that's not too hard to debunk? I mean ... the numbers are there after all.

can I call shenanigans on them having like a billion pots though. is that really like 300 Draconian pots on the Ninja.

Jayhawk

Well, at least that's an argument that makes more sense than the numbers not lining up. If the video ever just plays normally, though, that's not too hard to debunk? I mean ... the numbers are there after all.

can I call shenanigans on them having like a billion pots though. is that really like 300 Draconian pots on the Ninja.

That Batman-like preparation time must have been great for them, with all the recipes and gear acquisition methods already known well ahead of time. I wonder how many helpers they had for gathering materials.

BadRNG

Easier to call foul then watch it all and compare numbers! (also I don't know if it was just me but the video playback was terrible)

Yeah the pot amount was crazy. Maybe they just aren't lazy/cheap bastards like us.

Astral

I'm thinking of getting into ARR again and then deciding from there whether or not to get Heavensward. This is probably a weird question and a weird comparison but here it goes since this is the only MMO I've ever played. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, I fucking loved using a Rift Mage. It had so much fun with the crowd control and the debuffs and stacking spells on spells on spells. I guess the crowd control and support aspect of it appealed to me. I felt invincible. What classes are like that in this game? I tried Monk but after the 30 day trial I had no desire to go back to it even though it was kinda fun.

iammeiam

I can't even contemplate the idea of their damage being artificially inflated (Turret DPS makes me think no, but I would probably need to test it out to be sure) since I'm still shocked they didn't just constantly blow up.

Such Adlos.

BadRNG

I'm thinking of getting into ARR again and then deciding from there whether or not to get Heavensward. This is probably a weird question and a weird comparison but here it goes since this is the only MMO I've ever played. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, I fucking loved using a Rift Mage. It had so much fun with the crowd control and the debuffs and stacking spells on spells on spells. I guess the crowd control and support aspect of it appealed to me. I felt invincible. What classes are like that in this game? I tried Monk but after the 30 day trial I had no desire to go back to it even though it was kinda fun.
There's really no job like that in FFXIV. Crowd control is not a heavy aspect of the game (in PvE at least), neither is debuffing enemies. Most classes get one or two real debuffs but no class is built around it. Absolute closest thing is probably SMN but if you are wanting to play it like a Rift Mage in DA you will be disappointed. They use debuffs but mainly for just damage, not a lot of real status effects to heavily weaken enemies.

Astral

There's really no job like that in FFXIV. Crowd control is not a heavy aspect of the game (in PvE at least), neither is debuffing enemies. Most classes get one or two real debuffs but no class is built around it. Absolute closest thing is probably SMN but if you are wanting to play it like a Rift Mage in DA you will be disappointed. They use debuffs but mainly for just damage, not a lot of real status effects to heavily weaken enemies.

I didn't think so, reading up on it more. I guess the next best thing would be something that's like a fast-paced support class or something that just nukes shit. Scholar sounds like the former if I'm not mistaken.

Takuan

So a week or two in, I'm fairly certain I'll sub for at least a month or two. Seeing as $12.99 is almost $20 CAD now (and rising), are there any known sources that sell time cards at a discount?

Thorgal

I didn't think so, reading up on it more. I guess the next best thing would be something that's like a fast-paced support class or something that just nukes shit. Scholar sounds like the former if I'm not mistaken.

if you want to nuke stuff Black mage would be it .

Sifl

I've been waiting for a pvp que for over an hour and it's prime time. There's literally nothing to do now except wiping in a3s until the update. Some1 put me out of my misery.

Omni

I can honestly see myself liking Dragoon more than Bard. I wonder if I should switch...

I'd have to buy new gear with eso/law and possibly get a Thordan weapon, so that's a reason against. And I'd have to deal with these horrible DPS queues levelling to 60 again. But I'm enjoying it so far plus it's so rare that I'd otherwise get to use LB, and that's kinda cool. Haha. Hmm

Kalentan

God damn I hate passive aggressive Healers who are also aggressive in that they force me to grab larger mobs than normal. Like, I will grab mobs together, I don't need help doing it. Or like they won't even give me a moment to breathe before the boss before they decide to attack it to just start it.

Zhao_Yun

I don't do tank things but I think Awareness is still nice to have to pair with Raw Inuition maybe? Negate the autocrit if you accidentally take an attack from the wrong angle. You could also just not get hit from bad angles but cheese button is more fun.

Yeah, you kind of want Awareness for WAR these days due to Raw Intuition. Removes the downside of it for most of the duration. They're basically two buttons you'll end up using around the same time fairly consistently.

Yeah, I already thought that it might be useful for Raw Intuition. Will probably replace Second Wind with it.

FDC1

I'm buying Heavensward tonight (it's on sale on europan ps stores). Collector's edition items for an extra €11, worth it?

iammeiam

Zhao_Yun

I'm buying Heavensward tonight (it's on sale on europan ps stores). Collector's edition items for an extra €11, worth it?

Well, the Fantasia potion included with the Collector's edition costs around 6-7€ on the Mogstation (depends on how many you buy at once) and the Griffin mount is pretty cool imo. The Cecil helm and the Kain minion are nice but nothing special. So, if you want a Fantasia anyway I'd say go for it, otherwise it probably depends on whether you want the Griffin mount or not.

Top Bottom