• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

The most annoying part was my realization literal months in that breaking the legs does change their models. Just, you know, at the top. Where you'll basically never look because nothing goes on up there and all the visual stuff you pay attention to is on the floor. Also I don't think there's animation on the parts falling off. They just poof?

SE pls. You knew we were going to be forever killing legs. Make it dramatic. Those legs post-breakage should look like The Terminator with his skin off. The fight should be pumping constant feedback that you are, indeed, progressing given that leg phase lasts for all time. When you finally get to fight the Manipulator, it should be because you've basically wrecked his body and he has no choice. As is it just seems like he made the inexplicable decision to pop out of his fortress instead of just waiting for you to get bored and go away.

(I know, I know. Official explanation is something something legs breaking lowers him into range or something. I have a flipping gun and he doesn't lower that much.)

Yeah, that would've helped. Granted there are a number of bosses in this game where something like that would have been neat, but they should go the extra mile in those penultimate raid battles.

IvorB

I feel like "tight-ish" in i200+ With some in full i210 is still "insane" in everyoneisi190.

It's pretty much exactly this. There's a lot of group synergy stuff they make full use of that a lot of groups don't, or don't as precisely as they do here. Triple melee + MCH is a gain you won't see in most groups that don't know the fights beforehand (or are statics formed to address entire unknown tiers), because occasionally fights have aspects that require magic damage (see: T11.) They do the "soak hydrothermal damage on leg 1 so you can LB2 leg 3" thing that Qhon wanted to do and we kept telling him no; it's more DPS but also an extra healing thing to deal with and by the time we finally got to A4S we were geared enough to not need it. Their buff syncing across the party seems to be pretty solid. Their healers put in massive work with almost no MP for most of the fight with a lot of heals landing pretty much exactly when they're needed, and I'd bet every single Mantra use had a ton of thought behind it. And they seem to genuinely just execute their jobs better. They seem to know why certain strategies work, they don't just follow a guide and do what the guide says, which is the trap I think a lot of us fall into.

I dunno. I never make it through a run without a decent number of relatively small mistakes that, over time, pile up. I assume anybody who didn't make those, or consistently made less, would automatically do 10-20% more damage all things being equal. A lot is made of "how did they even do the damage?", but I'm still more floored in some respects by what their healers managed to do.

I just want to add that in general this is the case of room for improvement and all that. Everybody makes mistakes, even some of the world first pushes have their room for improvement on their very clears. Simply how it goes. As for the DPS check in A4S, the big one that stumped Elysium were the dolls. They actually killed them all, alongside doing Nisi properly, which added several hundred DPS needed to beat the enrage timer alongside the cancer that is Nisi. Lucrezia showing they could be skipped and how to cheese Nisi led to a bunch of clears all with 20-30s ahead of enrage at that gear level.

But the biggest thing in this particular case is it's pretty significant they had a Monk over any caster here. Not that a caster is bad for the fight but that the fight is a training dummy for one person typically and Monk will do the best at that. Their baseline damage will be better than either caster would add to this fight, especially due to BLM scaling being more tightly linked to their gear/SSPD break points. I may regret these words when some JP or something group does it but this was most likely only doable with this job arrangement. It's about as optimized as you can get damage wise short of figuring out how to AST/SCH it when under geared.

Beyond that, they just milked everything they could. They skipped the doll everybody kills which saves nearly 100ish DPS overall, their tanks and healers both did a better than early clears for damage, and their timing caught Carnage at the right time to give them nearly 10 extra seconds of DPSing. They're an existing group that I believe had practiced the comp before hand and figured out their approach in the past few weeks leading up to the China server launch of Savage.

Oh right, so there is more to it than individual job performance. I was wonder how the hell these guys are pressing their buttons that makes them do so well.

k1t4j

ok, so as far as I am concerned I reached the end of my journey in FF. I have no interest in weeks of grinding for shiny new weapons so I can then grind some more :p

The story was pretty cool of HW, the Knights fight was super flashy and I loved it.

Also holy crap Thancred looks like a bad ass now and not the baby face pimp he was.

I see they are giving the Scions a fresh look, they better not change Minfilia, she was already perfect.

But so, the guy from the intro was a bad guy?
Urianger is a traitor? and was thet Alphinau's sister the one that saw the meeting between the asian and uriangera
Yea and the other guy are somewhere leading an army!

So many questions, give it to me!!!!!

but we have to wait :(

JORMBO

Darkness no more
They should get rid of grand companies and just assign everyone a random color for PVP. That would probably speed up these shitty queue times a lot.

studyguy

The most interesting thing I've seen coming out of XIV in the past month is finding out the HEAT OF BATTLE icon isn't a fucking gleaming sword blade but the EXP bar which makes a fuckload more sense.

Man fuck. I haven't even capped eso in god knows how long, only pop in to raid twice a week (not even this week since we're all busy and don't care enough). Feels kinda bad, but not really.

WolvenOne

And here I didn't think she could get any worse.

image.png

Squishy3

ok, so as far as I am concerned I reached the end of my journey in FF. I have no interest in weeks of grinding for shiny new weapons so I can then grind some more :p

The story was pretty cool of HW, the Knights fight was super flashy and I loved it.

Also holy crap Thancred looks like a bad ass now and not the baby face pimp he was.

I see they are giving the Scions a fresh look, they better not change Minfilia, she was already perfect.

But so, the guy from the intro was a bad guy?
Urianger is a traitor? and was thet Alphinau's sister the one that saw the meeting between the asian and uriangera
Yea and the other guy are somewhere leading an army!

So many questions, give it to me!!!!!

but we have to wait :(
It's not the guy from the intro. The guy from the intro is now a Dragoon, as of the Heavensward cinematic. They use the same model for all the in-engine trailers too.

Urianger was shown meeting with the Ascians at the end of 2.55, not exactly a new thing.

They're at Ala Mhigo.

BadRNG

Oh right, so there is more to it than individual job performance. I was wonder how the hell these guys are pressing their buttons that makes them do so well.
While composition and strategy are definitely large part, you can't really underestimate the skill aspect. These guys are essentially putting out numbers close to the theoretical limit of their job/gear level. Most people do not, in any way, match these guys in their skill of "pressing their buttons".

gXUjWa3.png

WolvenOne

While composition and strategy are definitely large part, you can't really underestimate the skill aspect. These guys are essentially putting out numbers close to the theoretical limit of their job/gear level. Most people do not, in any way, match these guys in their skill of "pressing their buttons".

gXUjWa3.png

10/10.

WolvenOne

It'll be really interesting assuming China gets the second Savage Wing at the same time as us if they can land a world first.

Well, first wing was what, a week ago? I'm honestly not sure but it sounds like it was recent. I'd be pretty surprised if they got the second wing at the same time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question regarding the chat box. I usually see people in the company chatting with each other ([FC] <Your Name> something something.) If I type in the chat box will others in the company automatically read what I wrote? Is there a way to filter out FC conversations when I'm on a Duty?

Squishy3

I have a question regarding the chat box. I usually see people in the company chatting with each other ([FC] <Your Name> something something.) If I type in the chat box will others in the company automatically read what I wrote? Is there a way to filter out FC conversations when I'm on a Duty?
You can make each of the logs display specific things under character configuration. IE: I have 4 total, one for say/map/shout/party, one for battle stuff, one for free company and then one for linkshells.

You'd only send messages to the FC if you typed /fc.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You can make each of the logs display specific things under character configuration. IE: I have 4 total, one for say/map/shout/party, one for battle stuff, one for free company and then one for linkshells.

You'd only send messages to the FC if you typed /fc.

Thanks. &#128578;

scy

5spoopy7me

You make me want to get destiny for ps4.

I just can't do that grind again...

hohoho

Haven't actually done any of the, y'know, interesting things. Raid may be fun but mostly just want to grind Trials or something idk.

Squishy3

Oryx is fun but you beat it once and it's good and then Oryx Heroic exists and then there's nothing else to do afterwards because nothing exists that uses the gear you get from it

BadRNG

Oryx Alexander is fun but you beat it once and it's good and then Oryx Heroic Alexander Savage exists and then there's nothing else to do afterwards because nothing exists that uses the gear you get from it
I can't imagine, who would play a game like that.

Ken

I don't get it.

On the other hand, this is amusing:

I might note that the ilvl190 gear appears to be a bit misleading. I mean yes, that is roughly the parties ilvl. However they're also using the most ideal party compositions for each turn, which compensates for the ilvls somewhat. Additionally, it sounds like they went through HQ Drac pots like water, which again compensates for the gear level somewhat, and is something most people aren't willing to do outside of bleeding edge progression groups.

BadRNG

I'm pretty disappointed by that entire exchange between you and Angary(?). You're supposed to have to have those kinds of pointless nonsense arguments here in the OT, not on reddit! I barely read there, what are you doing.

This is why this thread has gone down the path of shame, with it's civ 5 and butt mmos. No good drama anymore and reddit stealing our crappy arguments. What's next, they take our dead game jokes? Where will it end.

WolvenOne

I'm pretty disappointed by that entire exchange between you and Angary(?). You're supposed to have to have those kinds of pointless nonsense arguments here in the OT, not on reddit! I barely read there, what are you doing.

This is why this thread has gone down the path of shame, with it's civ 5 and butt mmos. No good drama anymore and reddit stealing our crappy arguments. What's next, they take our dead game jokes? Where will it end.

I don't know who it was, and it's not as if the argument lasted long. Was more a disagreement on terms if I recall correctly. Besides, I don't even like drama, and sometimes the OTs desire for it can be a bit draining.

And I tried cross posting something I threw onto reddit yesterday. Nobody here bit.

PS: Galen if you ask what Drama ever did to me, there will be no place you can hide from my puns.

Thorgal

So since this still seems to be a highly contested point I guess I'll ask here:

Warrior tank.

Put all points in strength or VIT?

Everyone and there mother seems to have a different opinion this so I am curious what you think.

Omni

Tried A1 Savage today. We got them to 3% after a couple of attempts with random people. Had to leave after that though. Was actually really fun healing that over say... normal mode.

Might actually try and get my clear there. Same with A2S if it's not horrible.

Warrior tank.

Everyone and there mother seems to have a different opinion this so I am curious what you think.

Do the points even matter? I mean at end game. I swear the difference is negligible. Accessories matter much more

tgl3

Neo Member
Tried A1 Savage today. We got them to 3% after a couple of attempts with random people. Had to leave after that though. Was actually really fun healing that over say... normal mode.

Might actually try and get my clear there. Same with A2S if it's not horrible.

Having only started A1 Savage over the last week or so and playing as an AST, I have to say healing it is indeed really fun. Go for the clear!

Healing A1 actually gets really dull after a while /o\

Warrior tank.

Heh, it's been a while since this was asked in the OT, huh...
With the way the game currently is, Strength is technically always the best choice (more damage and enmity generation). But really, just go with what you're more comfortable with.

Do the points even matter? I mean at end game. I swear the difference is negligible. Accessories matter much more

What do you mean by negligible? i210 accessories give +47 main stat each while bonus attribute points give +35. And it's not like you're trading one for the other. I wouldn't say they don't matter.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean (regarding tanks specifically).

iammeiam

Do you people even mouse over flair. It says it's me in there!

And that's not even the fun discussion in there. The fun one is the guy who got downvoted to oblivion. Reddit is a good backup discussion area because there's always at least one lolno worthy thread going on.

I don't know who it was, and it's not as if the argument lasted long. Was more a disagreement on terms if I recall correctly. Besides, I don't even like drama, and sometimes the OTs desire for it can be a bit draining.

Well, no. You tried to reframe it as a term thing to shut the discussion down, but my objection was to the current second-wave minimization of throwing every caveat on earth onto it to try and explain why it's not as impressive.

Wave One was "Impossible because <list of made up reasons>, musta been nerfed."

Wave two is the current "I guess it's possible, but in light of <common sense things most of us assumed going in> it's not AS big a deal." Bonus points to salty Reddit mod for changing the article flair as part of this.

Wave three comes when somebody in NA/JP/EU does it and people can respond with "See? Not a big deal, tons of people can do it!"

I dunno, I thought t was a legitimately cool and impressive thing people did, and the weirdly defensive minimization going on bums me out.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wave One was "Impossible because <list of made up reasons>, musta been nerfed."

Wave two is the current "I guess it's possible, but in light of <common sense things most of us assumed going in> it's not AS big a deal." Bonus points to salty Reddit mod for changing the article flair as part of this.

Wave three comes when somebody in NA/JP/EU does it and people can respond with "See? Not a big deal, tons of people can do it!"

This will be the Angary's Five Stages of Grief

Jayhawk

We need to automatically pull WolvenOne's reddit posts and post them here to revive the OT!

Top Bottom