• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Why go to reddit when we can skip the middleman and go to our friends, the OF!

There is a vested interest in raid groups to "skip phases"...So logically there is no interest in doing the raid. Just give raiders the gear

I've been kicked a few times for using logic... Most recent one was...[when the tank asked] why I have a piece of Vitality Jewelry on my BLM

I hope we all learned something today.

Thorgal

Healing A1 actually gets really dull after a while /o\

Heh, it's been a while since this was asked in the OT, huh...
With the way the game currently is, Strength is technically always the best choice (more damage and enmity generation). But really, just go with what you're more comfortable with.

I was more looking at the global picture , basically :

Should a tank go into strength and add more DPS on the boss while tanking

Or

Should a tank . well , Tank better by tossing everything in Vit to make him more robuster and make the healers job not as stressful at the cost of lower DPS ?

Oh god. I decided to play SCH again for a bit and was having more fun in my runs than I have been as a AST because I didn't feel as stressed switching between heals and dps.

Time to give my WHM some love as well, it was my first class to max to 50 and I haven't touched it since HW dropped. I need to go back to being a full spectrum healer again.

scy

you used to blink+shotgun didin't you

Pretty sure this was nerfed before I even started playing (December-ish).

I was more looking at the global picture , basically :

Should a tank go into strength and add more DPS on the boss while tanking

Or

Should a tank . well , Tank better by tossing everything in Vit to make him more robuster and make the healers job not as stressful at the cost of lower DPS ?

There is no global picture because adding points to VIT doesn't help you tank any better or make the healer's job less stressful. That's part of the larger problem with the STR/VIT thing is that VIT is a "just enough" stat and anything above it is wasted allocation.

I like to imagine they were doing ravana EX and the BLM was wearing a vit earring and is defending his "logic"

It helps him survive the DF ilvl requirement check

WolvenOne

In response to Angery. I never said the Chinese group wasn't impressive. However I was seeing a lot of, "What's wrong with American, Japanese, EU groups, etc," as well as people using this to say, "See, tanks and healers don't need to DPS to clear A3S/A4S, all our DPS players are just bad," or some nonsense like that.

So I wanted to point out that this wasn't some casual group going in and half goofing around. Admittedly I should have emphasized that this was the point I was trying to make. It's still very impressive never-the-less. It was just kinda annoying me how, rather then assuming that these guys were really good, a ton of people seemed to be assuming that everyone else is really bad.

Either way, Dangit Qhon, you had to go digging through my reddit comments! Staaaaaaalker!!!

iammeiam

The thing is your explanation is still wrong? Group comp and Drac pots had nothing to do with the difference in clear speed because world first groups did, indeed, play with group comp to beat floors (see the DRK/PLD swaps between 1,2, and 3) and spam Drac pots. There's no reason to bring these up? They're a given in a fast progression scenario.

Prior experience is relevant, but even without it they'd have still beaten things much quicker because everything was known in advance. That they'd done the fights before was a pretty obvious guess made right away by pretty much everyone who knew the fights.

People saying this reflects poorly on EU/NA/JP isn't problematic because the China group had done it before, it's because World First A4S groups spent weeks trying to do things nobody has since sac strat went public. The bigger correction there isn't that China had experience, but that the first few weeks of progression A4S are a fundamentally different fight from what everyone has done since Lucrezia posted their vid. People thinking the problems with 4 were just meeting the strat sac DPS check have no idea what they are talking about, and correcting that gigantic gap in knowledge seems to make more sense.

I wouldn't have followed up on it here except that you tried to write it off as a semantic argument, when it's not. (Also: From my side, this isn't remotely drama. I've had longer and more contentious discussions about stupid things like people whining for food buff; the exchange of ideas isn't inherently adversarial and there's no reason to back down from it just because people disagree.)

Why go to reddit when we can skip the middleman and go to our friends, the OF!

I hope we all learned something today.

Where are the links???

this has sent me on a journey through OF looking for things. I can feel my brain melting.

scy

Yeah just mentioning OF without sharing is poor form Scything D: Edit: I TOOK TOO LONG FOR THIS POST TO MAKE SENSE

In response to Angery. I never said the Chinese group wasn't impressive. However I was seeing a lot of, "What's wrong with American, Japanese, EU groups, etc," as well as people using this to say, "See, tanks and healers don't need to DPS to clear A3S/A4S, all our DPS players are just bad," or some nonsense like that.

The whole "why did it take NA/JP so long?" side of the argument is basically just really dumb people since it ignores that A) Elysium had a vastly different fight (and, by association, no idea how much time Lucrezia spent also doing Nisi) and B) Solving a fight takes a lot of time. Most of progression isn't killing it, it's figuring out what to even do to kill it.

I don't get the tanks/healers don't need to DPS side of it though. They're pushing it pretty hard but it's not that much better than our current numbers and, more important, still a vast improvement over i210 full VIT Tanks not doing damage. If anything it's a bigger indicator that tanks not trying to push some damage above tank stance things isn't going to accomplish goals.

Where are the links???

this has sent me on a journey through OF looking for things. I can feel my brain melting.

Selfish raiders wanting to skip phases.
Also found the BLM. That EXDR seriousness.

Why did it take JP so long? I mean we all know they live in the servers and get 0 ping and have yoship feed them strats. Maybe jp gamers aren't gods amongst men in ffxiv like I was told to believe. Time to start worshipping those chinese raiders and hope they carry me through that final tier of raiding

WolvenOne

Yeah just mentioning OF without sharing is poor form Scything D: Edit: I TOOK TOO LONG FOR THIS POST TO MAKE SENSE

The whole "why did it take NA/JP so long?" side of the argument is basically just really dumb people since it ignores that A) Elysium had a vastly different fight (and, by association, no idea how much time Lucrezia spent also doing Nisi) and B) Solving a fight takes a lot of time. Most of progression isn't killing it, it's figuring out what to even do to kill it.

I don't get the tanks/healers don't need to DPS side of it though. They're pushing it pretty hard but it's not that much better than our current numbers and, more important, still a vast improvement over i210 full VIT Tanks not doing damage. If anything it's a bigger indicator that tanks not trying to push some damage above tank stance things isn't going to accomplish goals.

Oh, there's a contingent of people out there that absolutely hate that tank/healer DPS is a thing, and use any and all opportunities to argue against it.

Without ranting, I will say that I am not particular fond of this contingent. Mostly due to the obnoxiousness factor, but also because a lot of their arguments sound kiiiinda ill informed.

xxczx

S E R V E R T I C K S

1f499aee8a306a5b324326d6f0156b34.gif

scy

Oh, there's a contingent of people out there that absolutely hate that tank/healer DPS is a thing, and use any and all opportunities to argue against it.

Without ranting, I will say that I am not particular fond of this contingent. Mostly due to the obnoxiousness factor, but also because a lot of their arguments sound kiiiinda ill informed.

Yes, I too read reddit (and, well, this thread) and know. I more just mean I don't see how anything in this i190 clear shows that tank/healer output isn't needed. +20 ilvl isn't making up all the damage.

WolvenOne

Yes, I too read reddit (and, well, this thread) and know. I more just mean I don't see how anything in this i190 clear shows that tank/healer output isn't needed. +20 ilvl isn't making up all the damage.

Yes well, in the past few days I've seen people insist that it would if people played their classes right, or some bullcrap like that.

And yes, I'm cringing just thinking back to it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Why did it take JP so long? I mean we all know they live in the servers and get 0 ping and have yoship feed them strats. Maybe jp gamers aren't gods amongst men in ffxiv like I was told to believe. Time to start worshipping those chinese raiders and hope they carry me through that final tier of raiding

Yoshi-P actively sabotaged them this time.

That's a misconception. With the way the game currently is, at least. A tank having less vit does not make it more stressful to heal them. As long as you don't die, you still take the same amount of damage and the healer would heal the same amount. You need just enough Vit to comfortably survive, anything above would be nerfing yourself. ...which is the whole reason why the devs are talking about changes to tanks in 3.2

If I buy the PS4 bundle on PSN that consist of the base game + expansion and add the license to the account where PC realm reborn was activated, will I still get free 30 days ?

Omni

Oh my god. Had the worst tank during my expert roulette

Didn't use tanking stance once in the entire instance. Which okay, if you're good enough to keep it all together, then fine. I'll deal with it. But I died four times because I grabbed agro while healing him. Didn't even have to use Holy. Then you have his pulls. He'd grab one set of enemies, kinda just wait there for a few seconds until his health dropped below half, then start running off to the next mob before I'm able to do anything. I had to waste Bene and Tetras because of this. Oh and at the final boss he runs in blindly while my MP is almost empty, and one of our DPS is disconnecting. It took forever to three man because he was taking a truckload of damage and I couldn't stop healing to DPS.

We eventually get there and beat the damn thing and he has the nerve to call everyone's DPS "shit" before leaving.

//rant rant rant

Oh my god. Had the worst tank during my expert roulette

Didn't use tanking stance once in the entire instance. Which okay, if you're good enough to keep it all together, then fine. I'll deal with it. But I died four times because I grabbed agro while healing him. Didn't even have to use Holy. Then you have his pulls. He'd grab one set of enemies, kinda just wait there for a few seconds until his health dropped below half, then start running off to the next mob before I'm able to do anything. I had to waste Bene and Tetras because of this. Oh and at the final boss he runs in blindly while my MP is almost empty, and one of our DPS is disconnecting. It took forever to three man because he was taking a truckload of damage and I couldn't stop healing to DPS.

We eventually get there and beat the damn thing and he has the nerve to call everyone's DPS "shit" before leaving.

//rant rant rant

i'd almost say he was a bot, but then he called you all shit

Thorgal

That's a misconception. With the way the game currently is, at least. A tank having less vit does not make it more stressful to heal them. As long as you don't die, you still take the same amount of damage and the healer would heal the same amount. You need just enough Vit to comfortably survive, anything above would be nerfing yourself. ...which is the whole reason why the devs are talking about changes to tanks it in 3.2

My reasoning was as follows :

Tank A spend all his points into VIT while Tank B put's them all into Strength.

Tank A : 1500 HP
Tank B : 1000 HP .

Both tanks take the same attack which does 500 damage .

In this scenario Tank A could eat that attack again and live before the healer has to heal him whereas Tank B would die if he got hit again and not healed before hand .

In a party that has Tank A the healer would be more comfortable to first cure /raise another member before refocusing on the tank whereas the healer in the party that has Tank B would not have that luxury .

This is how i picture it in my head why VIT would be better then strength .

WolvenOne

My reasoning was as follows :

Tank A spend all his points into VIT while Tank B put's them all into Strength.

Tank A : 1500 HP
Tank B : 1000 HP .

Both tanks take the same attack which does 500 damage .

In this scenario Tank A could eat that attack again and live before the healer has to heal him whereas Tank B would die if he got hit again and not healed before hand .

In a party that has Tank A the healer would be more comfortable to first cure /raise another member before refocusing on the tank whereas the healer in the party that has Tank B would not have that luxury .

Yeah, but if you're simply not going to take two tank busters in rapid succession like that. More likely you'll have plenty of time to get healed up before being hit by another tank buster.

iammeiam

Wouldn't you need to stack like 500 VIT to get enough bonus HP to cancel out a 10k tankbuster anyway?

Scripted nature of the fights and how most content works just makes it not worth it. VIT until you can survive long enough to be healed, then STR. Healer's going to heal the encounter the same way whether you put 30 bonus points into STR or VIT. STR just helps you kill it faster, meaning it dies faster, meaning less damage taken and less healing needed overall.

tearsofash

This is kind of a dumb sentimental post, but I need to get this off my chest.

This summer I got really sick. I could barely focus on anything and I barely left my house except to get food once a week. The GAF Free Company was my only outlet for socializing back then. I stayed pretty sick until November. It got so bad to where I couldn't get out of bed for weeks at a time. I couldn't pay enough attention to even play the game, so I'd level up gatherers and do some dailies. I was a pretty bad player, but you guys still ran EXDR with me and helped me get through old primals.

I'm not as sick as I used to be, but because of said long-term illness I'm now homeless and living with friends. I'm not sure when I will have a subscription again as I'm waiting for SSI benefits to kick in. My lawyer says it could take up to ten months. Maybe I'll see ya'll then?

I just wanted to drop by and tell you how grateful I am for the community that we have, and that I'm lucky to have been part of it. You gave me something to live for when I was at the end of my rope. Everyone was always really supportive and nice to me. I really appreciate it.

Til next time. ~BB

dramatis

This summer I got really sick. I could barely focus on anything and I barely left my house except to get food once a week. The GAF Free Company was my only outlet for socializing back then. I stayed pretty sick until November. It got so bad to where I couldn't get out of bed for weeks at a time. I couldn't pay enough attention to even play the game, so I'd level up gatherers and do some dailies. I was a pretty bad player, but you guys still ran EXDR with me and helped me get through old primals.

I'm not as sick as I used to be, but because of said long-term illness I'm now homeless and living with friends. I'm not sure when I will have a subscription again as I'm waiting for SSI benefits to kick in. My lawyer says it could take up to ten months. Maybe I'll see ya'll then?

I just wanted to drop by and tell you how grateful I am for the community that we have, and that I'm lucky to have been part of it. You gave me something to live for when I was at the end of my rope. Everyone was always really supportive and nice to me. I really appreciate it.

Til next time. ~BB
You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed your time here, hope you get back to full health soon. Drop in the thread from time to time!

Also GAF is bad at everything so you don't really have to thank the FC

Valor

you tell me how I taunt Galen without Savage gear.

There is totally a use for it. :|
Again not sure how you think trolling works but...

Oryx is fun but you beat it once and it's good and then Oryx Heroic exists and then there's nothing else to do afterwards because nothing exists that uses the gear you get from it
I mean the 320 stuff is useful for killing oryx on hard mode? so... *shrug*...?

Haven't actually done any of the, y'know, interesting things. Raid may be fun but mostly just want to grind Trials or something idk.
But interesting things are the best part.

Guys, can you help me with this?

I got the game with the SE Humble Bundle. There's about a week of play left on my account. If I buy the game on steam, will I get 30 more days added to my account?

WolvenOne

I got the game with the SE Humble Bundle. There's about a week of play left on my account. If I buy the game on steam, will I get 30 more days added to my account?

Don't buy off steam. The version of the game on the Humble Bundle is the stand alone version. It doesn't play well with Steam. Anyhow, buying Heavensward doesn't give you an additional month. Buying the PS3 and PS4 version of ARR would give you an additional month, but I rather doubt you'd be interested in that.

Valor

So you're saying we should've let it hit the ground after all?
That would actually hurt more, yes.

I am very bad at doing things with random people is what it comes down to.
Lol same. I usually only play that with people I know if i can help it, much to the chagrin of some of my other friends who are more pug happy than I.

iammeiam

This is just the precursor trolling. I'm the only one with 60 BRD, and everyone is actually probably sadistic enough to just let it hit the ground next drop. It's the troll before the troll.

No, they're not compatible. The only thing buying the Steam version would do is let you download it from Steam. You can't add it to your normal PC account. Basically only get one version of A Realm Reborn for PC, steam or non steam.

You also CANNOT use the Steam Heavensward expansion, you have to buy the non-Steam version to go with your non-Steam copy.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
That would actually hurt more, yes.

Lol same. I usually only play that with people I know if i can help it, much to the chagrin of some of my other friends who are more pug happy than I.

One day I will drag you to a knights karsh trap ,I mean farm, with qhon and I so you too can truely experiance the most bodaciously eloquent poet of our generation. Please look forward to it.

Redx508

Til next time. ~BB

we'll be here once you come back. get well soon :)

BadRNG

If the fight had heavier/steadier damage then your picture would work! But right now the game isn't really designed like that. Extra hp doesn't hurt, and on some fights HP past the minimum needed to survive undoubtedly makes healer job less stressful, but generally it's not something you aim for anymore. Because of this, most people will spec 30 STR. If you do end up needing more VIT, you can use vit accessories (or melded).

It's worth noting they may be changing how all of this works next patch. We know they are trying to make vit more viable and a damage calculation change is coming, we just don't know how it will work.

This is just the precursor trolling. I'm the only one with 60 BRD, and everyone is actually probably sadistic enough to just let it hit the ground next drop. It's the troll before the troll.
Normally I don't like wasting gear, but if it's for a good cause, like trolling Galen or feeding starving floors - I am willing to support this movement.

Top Bottom