• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

Well, finally getting within spitting distance of max PVP rank. Alas, if I had to guess I'd say that they're probably increasing PVP rank again with Wolves Den 2, so I'll be right back on that train.

Hopefully I'll have a few weeks to enjoy being at max rank though. XD

Well, finally getting within spitting distance of max PVP rank. Alas, if I had to guess I'd say that they're probably increasing PVP rank again with Wolves Den 2, so I'll be right back on that train.

Hopefully I'll have a few weeks to enjoy being at max rank though. XD

Wow, you're actually doing it? I'm rank 41 and thought it was impossible to hit max rank before 3.2 at this point. Queue times are definitely not helping. Well, and being a Serpent...

Demoskinos

This game gets weird.

TmIIo3x.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Steam sale this weekend!

I have FFXIV and HW on PS4, but want the PC version to play. I need to buy both again in order to play with my account on PC correct? Would I be able to switch back and forth between playing on either PC and PS4 using my characters, or will be stuck in an either/or situation with my account once attached to a platform?

Basically, should I jump on the Steam sale to purchase the games for PC? Or will I have log-in issues trying to use my PS4 account.

Help quick! Thanks!

WolvenOne

Wow, you're actually doing it? I'm rank 41 and thought it was impossible to hit max rank before 3.2 at this point. Queue times are definitely not helping. Well, and being a Serpent...

Well, for Flames queue times can get bad, but with flames if you queue up again immediately after getting out of a match you will often get put back in, if not immediately then within ten minutes.

This of course can depend on the time of day, and the day. The real problem with Flames is a lot of people go in for the sole purpose of killing other players, and don't have a interest in winning, coordinating with the rest of the players etc. Whether we're competitive or not depends on how few of these players we get in a match.

Squishy3

Steam sale this weekend!

I have FFXIV and HW on PS4, but want the PC version to play. I need to buy both again in order to play with my account on PC correct? Would I be able to switch back and forth between playing on either PC and PS4 using my characters, or will be stuck in an either/or situation with my account once attached to a platform?

Basically, should I jump on the Steam sale to purchase the games for PC? Or will I have log-in issues trying to use my PS4 account.

Help quick! Thanks!
Should be able to no problem, the only finicky stuff like that is Steam versus other digital versions of FFXIV on PC, to give an example you couldn't apply a copy of FFXIV bought from Square directly and a copy of Heavensward bought from Steam to the same service account. But there shouldn't be any such problem with going console->PC.

The only downside is in the future if you don't pick up an expansion right away you'll be waiting forever for it to go on sale on Steam while you see other retailers offering them for cheaper.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've opened up 5 different tribe quests. What can I do with these Tomestone of Poetics I'm accumulating?

omlet

I just hit level 60 (monk).

Now what (besides finishing the story quests that I had to get to 60 to get started on)?

Eldren

Tanking still gives me anxiety but I just got Dark Knight to 50 so maybe I'm making a little progress. Although I have to say the idea of tanking Dzemael Darkhold or Aurum Vale or the level 50 dungeons is way more worrying than any of the Heavensward dungeons for some reason. Being frightened of the daily roulette is a strange feeling.

Also I think I remember seeing something about a future update expanding the aesthetician options to include eye colour and skin tone? I really hope so because skin tone is literally all I'm buying fantasias for these days, this would save me some money.

Grats on the relic!

But...can anyone who knows about gun things explain how that thing actually works? What's that big, second trigger-like thing? Is it just a crazy fantasy gun that doesn't have to make sense?

BadRNG

So after reading the comments above this must be the animation of putting together a relic weapon, yes?
Yeah, it's the cutscene at the end of the quest.

Unfortunately it does not play the new item music from Zelda when you hold it up.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's the cutscene at the end of the quest.

Unfortunately it does not play the new item music from Zelda when you hold it up.

No worries. I've got the song on my iPhone.

Serious question: My Bard is at level 58. My ilvl is 113. I'm at level 44 in the main story quests. Can I skip ahead and start the Weaponsmith of Legend quest to get my relic weapon?

suzu

Serious question: My Bard is at level 58. My ilvl is 113. I'm at level 44 in the main story quests. Can I skip ahead and start the Weaponsmith of Legend quest to get my relic weapon?

Wait, you're almost Lv60 and still haven't reached Heavensward? You sure got sidetracked, huh. lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, you're almost Lv60 and still haven't reached Heavensward? You sure got sidetracked, huh. lol

Yep. Did a bunch of side quests and levemetes. Now I just want to get to the end so I can get to HW, join a group/static/whatever you call it, and get some cool stuff.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yep. Did a bunch of side quests and levemetes. Now I just want to get to the end so I can get to HW and get some cool stuff.
You have a long long long way to go if you're still doing lv 44 story quests.... ~15 quest to finish A Realm Reborn + 100 quests to finish the post ARR quest chain + 102 to finish Heavensward. Once you've done all that you can start the Heavensward relic chain.

I wouldn't bother with the ARR relic. The chain is long and you'll just be running old ARR content.

suzu

Yep. Did a bunch of side quests and levemetes. Now I just want to get to the end so I can get to HW, join a group/static/whatever you call it, and get some cool stuff.

Ah, well now I'm wondering why you didn't keep up with the main story quests? lol

Normal progression is finishing ARR main quests around Lv50~53. Endgame stuff unlocks after you complete all of HW's main story. As Killthee said, you've got a looooong way to go.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You have a long long long way to go if you're still doing lv 44 story quests.... ~15 quest to finish A Realm Reborn + 100 quests to finish the post ARR quest chain + 102 to finish Heavensward. Once you've done all that you can start the Heavensward relic chain.

I wouldn't bother with the ARR relic. The chain is long and you'll just be running old ARR content.

Thanks. And thanks to Suzu as well. I've been following the progression list posted in the OP. But y'all just saved me a lot of time.

This might be a stupid question but I would rather ask then do it wrong. On guildwork application form there is a Character and Character name field. What am I supposed to put in Character field ?

dramatis

This might be a stupid question but I would rather ask then do it wrong. On guildwork application form there is a Character and Character name field. What am I supposed to put in Character field ?
It's been a thing that will never get fixed, but you can put your character name in both. They're duplicates.

It's been a thing that will never get fixed, but you can put your character name in both. They're duplicates.

It says "Select a valid choice. [my name] is not one of the available choices."

EDIT: Now it works. There is dropdown menu now, before it was an empty field. lmao

EDIT2: Submitted both applications. If someone could accept me, I would be grateful. Character name is Kurenai Kaujin.

Thorgal

so after immersing mysellf into some statistics threads ive been wondering :

Is the reason there are so few clears of A4S because :

A) the fight is way too hard for most groups to clear .

Or

B) many more people would be able to clrear it but because the reward is not worth it , no one cares ?

Kenai

Or

B) many more people would be able to clrear it but because the reward is not worth it , no one cares ?

It was super duper gum scraping hard at the beginning and now is still pretty hard hard but people don't care near as much after the burnout I'd imagine. It's a looooot of work for gear that is almost certainly gonna be outdated in 3.2

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Or

It's a combination of things.
You can't really talk about A4S without considering how much of a wall A3S has been, first.
A lot of mid-tier groups break up right there and then without even reaching A4S.
There's a certain level of stress that comes from a combined pressure of failures and knowledge that it's not gonna let up.
In addition to being tuned quite high, A3 and A4 usually require players to keep track of multiple mechanics, whereas in most fights there's never really more than any one thing going on at once, or at least not more than any one thing you have to be responsible for.
And it's tuned so high one imprecise movement can cost you a run, it's not even about not standing in the middle of a voidzone anymore. Not just a numbers game.
And you can't just stop and do mechanics then return to DPS like you can in most cases (Look at Thordan for example: every phase is a dodge sequence followed by a whole bunch of dead air where you can just DPS safely, Ravana is an even more exaggerated example of that).
So that's pretty demanding.

And then, when your group hits your head against the adds phase of A3S they start to hear that A4S is the biggest pile of bullshit ever devised in this game and morale just drops down. But it doesn't stop there.
The way the loot system is designed is that since it's tokenized they can't put better armor in early turns anymore. So cases where you clear Turn 2 of the raid and somebody gets a body/leg piece and suddenly you're a little bit more powerful? Doesn't happen. Weapon upgrade? Also in Turn 3, which is a skill+numbers wall, not 2 like before. So the team can go for weeks without getting meaningful rewards from the raid. Then Diadem happened and just the fact that you can get better pieces from it than you can from the raid is disheartening.

Not everybody wants, or is even capable of playing under those restrictions, and that is supposed to be the farmable raid. So, the back half of Gordias Savage is both hard, and demoralizing, for a variety of reasons.

MogCakes

Is it normal to get a hostile response when asking if you can call an item? I guess there really are all kinds of people playing this game.

Thorgal

It was super duper gum scraping hard at the beginning and now is still pretty hard hard but people don't care near as much after the burnout I'd imagine. It's a looooot of work for gear that is almost certainly gonna be outdated in 3.2

It's a combination of things.
You can't really talk about A4S without considering how much of a wall A3S has been, first.
A lot of mid-tier groups break up right there and then without even reaching A4S.
There's a certain level of stress that comes from a combined pressure of failures and knowledge that it's not gonna let up.
In addition to being tuned quite high, A3 and A4 usually require players to keep track of multiple mechanics, whereas in most fights there's never really more than any one thing going on at once, or at least not more than any one thing you have to be responsible for.
And it's tuned so high one imprecise movement can cost you a run, it's not even about not standing in the middle of a voidzone anymore. Not just a numbers game.
And you can't just stop and do mechanics then return to DPS like you can in most cases (Look at Thordan for example: every phase is a dodge sequence followed by a whole bunch of dead air where you can just DPS safely, Ravana is an even more exaggerated example of that).
So that's pretty demanding.

And then, when your group hits your head against the adds phase of A3S they start to hear that A4S is the biggest pile of bullshit ever devised in this game and morale just drops down. But it doesn't stop there.
The way the loot system is designed is that since it's tokenized they can't put better armor in early turns anymore. So cases where you clear Turn 2 of the raid and somebody gets a body/leg piece and suddenly you're a little bit more powerful? Doesn't happen. Weapon upgrade? Also in Turn 3, which is a skill+numbers wall, not 2 like before. So the team can go for weeks without getting meaningful rewards from the raid. Then Diadem happened and just the fact that you can get better pieces from it than you can from the raid is disheartening.

Not everybody wants, or is even capable of playing under those restrictions, and that is supposed to be the farmable raid. So, the back half of Gordias Savage is both hard, and demoralizing, for a variety of reasons.

I understand now thanks .

only wish it was possible too see the Thordan EX clears numbers to see the difference .

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

only wish it was possible too see the Thordan EX clears numbers to see the difference .

Just look around popular zones at how many people have the Myth Breaker title compared to the number of people with Gordian weapons or the gobmachine mount.

iammeiam

EX Primals are designed to be cleared by more people than the current raid, though. They're intentionally easier.

The compare/contrast between people who got T13 in 2014 and people who got A4S (and, heck, A3S) in 2015 would be interesting though.

4 is a terrible fight and not one I really recommend people doing unless they legitimately enjoy raiding with the people they raid with. It's a lot easier once you drop a couple of i210 weapons into the mix but it's still an exercise in frustration.

Top Bottom