• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
when i get on, can someone show me the ropes?

you guys use voice chat?

There's a mumble channel for the Ultros guild though as the game's going through a lull till the next patch I would honestly only come on if you want to see people talking about either blade and soul or street fighter V.

Pachimari

I tried getting on the mumble chat, but it leads me nowhere. It won't really load anything when I put it in my Chrome address bar. Or else I just don't know how to use mumble?

I tried getting on the mumble chat, but it leads me nowhere. It won't really load anything when I put it in my Chrome address bar. Or else I just don't know how to use mumble?

Have you signed up on the website yet (neogaf.guildwork.com)? There is a stickied post in the Members section of the forum that has all the Mumble info and setup instructions.

IvorB

So ninja is pretty fun. I'm having a great time with it so I'm thinking to go all the way. Though looking at the upcoming skills it's pretty disappointing that two of the post 50 skills are enmity reduction moves. :-(

Valor

So ninja is pretty fun. I'm having a great time with it so I'm thinking to go all the way. Though looking at the upcoming skills it's pretty disappointing that two of the post 50 skills are enmity reduction moves. :-(

To be fair most of the ninja kit is already kind of... stuck? There's not a lot of ways to add to what they introduced when ninja launched. The enmity reducers are actually really nice in a raid setting, or for dumping hate on a dps/healer you don't like in a dungeon. Not that I would ever do that. The skills you DO get though like Armor Crush and Dream within a Dream are pretty awesome, so there's that to look forward to.

omlet

Been going around picking up random level 60 quests to unlock things that I can't even do because my ilvl is 146.

Found the new anima weapon thing quest.

I don't think I've ever dropped a quest from my log that quickly.

iammeiam

Honestly, if you have an alt job at 50 that you can level via FATE grinding, I'd actually recommend seriously considering the first two steps of the relic quest. FATE grinding is boring as hell, but you get a boatload of alt XP (two sets of crystals with rested got me from 52 to 59) and tons of GC seals for ventures. Then it's just running the ten dungeons and you end up with an i200 weapon.

I thnk at this point it's the easiest way to get a decent weapon when your iLevel is low, especially if you do FATES while queuing for dungeons to grind out law to meet the iLevel requirements for other stuff. Beats weeks of capping Eso, at least.

Step three is hilarious and intentionally made overly grindy to keep i210 and Gordian weapons ~special~ (unnecessary, you can't dye relics metallic purple) so going über casual at that makes sense to me, but in terms of the i200 steps it's not that bad. For relic steps, at least.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
"Let's create a new type of glamour while also giving players the option to disable seeing them on other players!"

Then again I suppose Augmented gear glow is a thing.

I've heard this mention before in regards to gear. Is glamor an effect given off by certain gear, weapons, or jewelry?

dramatis

I've heard this mention before in regards to gear. Is glamor an effect given off by certain gear, weapons, or jewelry?
Glamour refers to a Gear Look that you impose over one of your existing gear.

Say for instance you're wearing Super Armor 300, but you like the look of Black Armor 22 more. If you want to look like you're wearing Black Armor 22, you 'glamour' Black Armor 22 over Super Armor 300—you'll have the stats of your best armor, but the look of the armor you like.

EX Primals are designed to be cleared by more people than the current raid, though. They're intentionally easier.

The compare/contrast between people who got T13 in 2014 and people who got A4S (and, heck, A3S) in 2015 would be interesting though.

4 is a terrible fight and not one I really recommend people doing unless they legitimately enjoy raiding with the people they raid with. It's a lot easier once you drop a couple of i210 weapons into the mix but it's still an exercise in frustration.

T13 was available in October 2014. A4S was available in July 2015. 3 whole extra months of time for FCoB vs AGS in the years they came out. And the #s for A4S will still be lower than T13.

One other thing to consider? FCoB was taken off lockout and got echo before it was irrelevant. Lockout was lifted on March 31st, 5 months after FCoB was introduced. 10% echo was added on April 20th, 6 months after FCoB was introduced. So for a fair comparison, you would have to really compared clears of FCoB from Patch 2.4-2.55 (October 27, 2014 - March 31, 2015: 5 months) and AGS from Patch 3.05-Patch 3.2 (July 17, 2015 - February XX, 2016: 7 months).

Any clears of FCoB (T13 in particular) after 2.55 dropped until HW's release would include some added benefit we do not have right now: lockout removal would likely lead to more groups who have cleared to be inclined to "assist" single players through A3S/A4S because you get full loot rewards - incentive for cleared players to come back and get alt gear or the Gobwalker Mount. Yes right now you can take a person through for a "page" and the clear, but people hate A4S right now and that's not nearly incentive enough to do it. So maybe this would be enough to get people back in there. Echo + Lockout removal is a whole other story, as it makes it much easier for 7 cleared + newcomer as well as groups already pretty far into progression in a turn. You would definitely see more people going back in with this to assist.

What's surprising is that AGS' cycle is similar to FCoB, and despite claims that they overtuned the fight, we've received no relief. At least a lockout removal by now would have made sense. Echo sometime in early February would also be advised. Nerfs should probably wait until 3.2 hits, since echo would still force you to do mechanics properly (at least something in the ballpark of 10% echo).

omlet

Honestly, if you have an alt job at 50 that you can level via FATE grinding, I'd actually recommend seriously considering the first two steps of the relic quest. FATE grinding is boring as hell, but you get a boatload of alt XP (two sets of crystals with rested got me from 52 to 59) and tons of GC seals for ventures. Then it's just running the ten dungeons and you end up with an i200 weapon.

I thnk at this point it's the easiest way to get a decent weapon when your iLevel is low, especially if you do FATES while queuing for dungeons to grind out law to meet the iLevel requirements for other stuff. Beats weeks of capping Eso, at least.

The quest text said I couldn't progress this quest if I was on a different job or class... that doesn't count the crystal drops? If that's the case then maybe I will try it, because I have every job except the 3 expansion jobs at 50 or higher and don't relish the thought of sitting in DF queues for my other DPS jobs for ~10 levels..

iammeiam

Part of 2014 vs 2015 for me was just that there exist people who cleared T13 in 2014, before Zeta gave everyone access to i135 weapons, who went all of 2015 without clearing a raid tier. I'm willing to give Alex a few extra months to account for everyone essentially having to learn how their jobs work post-60 and account for the extra difficulty.

Ideally we could get clear numbers for both tiers prior to their catch-up patches, and then again prior to relic, and then a final pre-echo/lockout removal number. I'd also like to see comparable A3S data because my impression is that a lot of the casual/midcore groups who used Zeta to defeat Bahamut either walled or imploded on Waterman. I think there's a ton of interesting data to be gathered here and it sucks that there's no good way to do it--the server census that went off mount count was wildly inaccurate.

I also think the knock-on effect of delaying relic so long is that they can't substantially change A4S for a while yet. The fight is garbage no matter what, but it bends to weapons pretty quickly. I haven't been shy about pointing out how much we benefitted from Thordan weapons--that bump was a huge difference and relic is another one; it' have been a disservice to groups smashing their face into the fight to not give them a chance to clear it as close to legit as sac strat allows after they grind out relics.

"Helping" in A4S is also a thorny issue--I've filled in the all of once somebody in GAF asked, but my limited social circles being what they are there's not a ton of need at this point. It's a fight with some very disparate strategies, most of which seem to center around how much you want your healers to suffer, which also makes cross group stuff weird. It's a bullshit fight but most of the stress for me is honestly gone; but by that same token I don't contribute to the most critical and difficult parts of the fight (healing and tanking) so there's not a ton I can do. Plus we do everything weird/safety over damage which is not super helpful.

That will get better after overgear and echo, but the key thing is that it's not about loot as motivator for me. Getting more stuff to dye metallic purple isn't a big deal to me. It's more about opportunity and practicality of assistance (if your group doesn't do charity damage for ranged, I will probably be useless as I time all my stuff out based on having it. If you only have healers grab orbs I'll still blow myself up out of habit. Etc.)

The quest text said I couldn't progress this quest if I was on a different job or class... that doesn't count the crystal drops? If that's the case then maybe I will try it, because I have every job except the 3 expansion jobs at 50 or higher and don't relish the thought of sitting in DF queues for my other DPS jobs for ~10 levels..

You can get crystals on any job provided you've got the quest active (at the turn in astral/umbra nodules step.) You can't progress the quest in that you can't turn in the nodules on another job, but I've gotten all my FATE crystals on sub60 jobs no problem.

WolvenOne

I'd also like to see comparable A3S data because my impression is that a lot of the casual/midcore groups who used Zeta to defeat Bahamut either walled or imploded on Waterman.

Took us awhile but we got it, honest! I've got pages and an ugly helmet with terrible stats, see! *flails*

iammeiam

Took us awhile but we got it, honest! I've got pages and an ugly helmet with terrible stats, see! *flails*

If it sounded derisive that's not how I meant it--more that for a lot of groups, A3S held them up for a long time and so 4 itself never got to be the issue. The tenacious stuck with it and got it down; others broke up and reformed or swapped or whatever along the way. In either case, A4S didn't even get a chance to really be a problem because a lot of the player base either got there later than prior final fights or never made it at all. I suspect the gap between A2S clears and A3S clears heading into 3.15 is much larger relative to the A3S to A4S gap than prior tiers.

FDC1

Probably a stupid question but just in case:

I made a long pause away of the game and I'm thinking about starting from the scratch with a new character. Will I get back all my collector's edition items, etc... for my new character?

Ken

Probably a stupid question but just in case:

I made a long pause away of the game and I'm thinking about starting from the scratch with a new character. Will I get back all my collector's edition items, etc... for my new character?

Yeah.

Collector's edition items, preorder bonus items, Veteran rewards, and cash shop items specified as such are account-wide.

WolvenOne

If it sounded derisive that's not how I meant it--more that for a lot of groups, A3S held them up for a long time and so 4 itself never got to be the issue. The tenacious stuck with it and got it down; others broke up and reformed or swapped or whatever along the way. In either case, A4S didn't even get a chance to really be a problem because a lot of the player base either got there later than prior final fights or never made it at all. I suspect the gap between A2S clears and A3S clears heading into 3.15 is much larger relative to the A3S to A4S gap than prior tiers.

That was actually an attempt at self mockery. Well, half self mockery I guess. Something along the lines of, "We scrubs, but we ain't THAT big o scrubs, lol!" or something.

Basically, I was trying to be funny. We both know how well that works out.

scy

One other thing to consider? FCoB was taken off lockout and got echo before it was irrelevant.

While this is true, it also got lifted at the patch you'd have expected it to be made irrelevant with a new raid tier. We just didn't get one because expansion on the horizon. The delay on 3.1 is being felt here, though, since I think 3.2 unlock+echo as per normal would have been fine if it was closer to like right now rather than end of February/start of March.

It's a fight with some very disparate strategies, most of which seem to center around how much you want your healers to suffer, which also makes cross group stuff weird. It's a bullshit fight but most of the stress for me is honestly gone; but by that same token I don't contribute to the most critical and difficult parts of the fight (healing and tanking) so there's not a ton I can do. Plus we do everything weird/safety over damage which is not super helpful.

Maybe some day it'll be nice to help out for A4S struggles but, yeah, it'd probably end up teaching my version of the fight (or at least tweaking things closer to my version). I'll try to do every Quarantine, Straf, and eat half the orbs or so and just otherwise try to make healer's only kind of miserable instead of suicidal (though they still have to heal me, so that's probably shitty enough). Erring on the side of consistency since surviving the fight matters before cutting corners.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Glamour refers to a Gear Look that you impose over one of your existing gear.

Say for instance you're wearing Super Armor 300, but you like the look of Black Armor 22 more. If you want to look like you're wearing Black Armor 22, you 'glamour' Black Armor 22 over Super Armor 300—you'll have the stats of your best armor, but the look of the armor you like.

That's a pretty cool feature. I'll have to remember this. Thanks.

scy

That's a pretty cool feature. I'll have to remember this. Thanks.

Just to add to that explanation, it's also locked behind a quest at first (A Self-Improving Man over in Mor Dhona). So it's a thing to look forward to do when you get to 50.

obligatory glamour is the true end-game

WolvenOne

Kagari is going to die, FFXV ATR and FFXIV live-letter in the same day

Alas, I'll be out of town, so I'm going to have a valid excuse to miss both. \o/

I'll be pouring over the info obsessively of course, just not in the middle of the night. Can't really risk waking my hosts up.

rubius01

Kagari is going to die, FFXV ATR and FFXIV live-letter in the same day

She's going to die of disappointment. FFXIV won't meet expectations, a "regression" back to 2.X gamestyle. And FFXV will be announced to be episodic to "fully realize Nomura's vision"

iammeiam

Although what that means who knows.

If players say "Final Coil was too easy and Second Coil was too hard", and Devs respond with A4S with Nisi, I have no idea how they'll follow up Gordias.

Fingers crossed for less everythingisbrownish.

Squishy3

Although what that means who knows.

If players say "Final Coil was too easy and Second Coil was too hard", and Devs respond with A4S with Nisi, I have no idea how they'll follow up Gordias.

Fingers crossed for less everythingisbrownish.
I think they said they're aiming for a difficulty level in the middle between Second and Final Coil. Although I think that comment was directed more at savage, so the story mode will probably still be faceroll easy.

Can't really blame them, since they spent all that money on the Flames of Truth CG. It makes me wonder if we'll see a new CG for Alex or maybe the MSQ. (1.0 had the cool Midgardsormr attacking the Garlean flagship CG cutscene.)

Honestly, two dungeons is fine if it means stuff like, Diadem getting fixed so it's actually long-term fun, more new/interesting things being added after that. Or additionally, if it meant we got another couple trials per patch.

and yes I know there's Alex Story Mode, but I don't really count those. Being that they're raids, and that they're not really independent raids so much as scaled back versions of the savage raids.

I rather miss stuff like, battle on the big bridge, big keep. Ultros & Typhon, etc. These casual little popcorn fights that were just fun to occasionally get on trial roulette.
Well, we'll see what the new sidestory thing in 3.2 adds. Since they mention custom animations for something that isn't the MSQ in that Haurchefant localization post. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...Haurchefant-in-the-EN-FR-DE-Versions-of-FFXIV

WolvenOne

Honestly, two dungeons is fine if it means stuff like, Diadem getting fixed so it's actually long-term fun, more new/interesting things being added after that. Or additionally, if it meant we got another couple trials per patch.

and yes I know there's Alex Story Mode, but I don't really count those. Being that they're raids, and that they're not really independent raids so much as scaled back versions of the savage raids. I rather miss stuff like, battle on the big bridge, big keep. Ultros & Typhon, etc. These casual little popcorn fights that were just fun to occasionally get on trial roulette.

WolvenOne

Also, for the love of everything good and decent, they need to put in a casual raid roulette!

By 3.3 we'll have 5 24 Man raids and 8 casual eight man raids. That's enough to justify an additional roulette already!!

Squishy3

Also, for the love of everything good and decent, they need to put in a casual raid roulette!

By 3.3 we'll have 5 24 Man raids and 8 casual eight man raids. That's enough to justify an additional roulette already!!
Not to mention adding a weekly quest for Coil for... something. I don't know what. Not my problem!

iammeiam

I think they said they're aiming for a difficulty level in the middle between Second and Final Coil. Although I think that comment was directed more at savage, so the story mode will probably still be faceroll easy.

Based on how Gordias worked out I think faceroll status is the only thing they got right with the raid--it wound up being surprisingly popular for a really long time and didn't even really need the relic grind to get people to run it. It unfortunately does mean were unlikely to ever get a normal mode of Alex more in line with EX primals, since that would cut out a lot of the people who got the most out of normal.

It's mostly that I have no idea how they gauge difficulty at this point. I've tried multiple times to figure out how A4S was supposed to work with the way they claim to tune fights even in recent interviews, and the numbers never make sense.

WolvenOne

Not to mention adding a weekly quest for Coil for... something. I don't know what. Not my problem!

Well, I'm okay with hard-core content largely being left alone. I mean it'd be nice if they gave people additional incentive to go back and do it, but it's not strictly necessary.

The casual raids however have a lot of story attached to them, and if the 24 man raids are any indication they're all largely abandoned after a new raid comes out.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just to add to that explanation, it's also locked behind a quest at first (A Self-Improving Man over in Mor Dhona). So it's a thing to look forward to do when you get to 50.

obligatory glamour is the true end-game

Yep. I checked and it's in the Guide Progression List. Thanks. 😊

Enthus

Can anyone on Ultros invite me to the FC? I have been inactive for a while and am starting again.

Name: Bargeld Kasten.

Squishy3

Well, I'm okay with hard-core content largely being left alone. I mean it'd be nice if they gave people additional incentive to go back and do it, but it's not strictly necessary.

The casual raids however have a lot of story attached to them, and if the 24 man raids are any indication they're all largely abandoned after a new raid comes out.
They should probably also eventually remove having to do those two FATEs with insanely long spawn windows as a requirement for unlocking CT.

But I mean the Coil weekly probably wouldn't take much to implement, since all they have to do is have it give one of the new relic tokens as a reward. Let you pick one out of each four. It shouldn't break relic progression.

WolvenOne

They should probably also eventually remove having to do those two FATEs with insanely long spawn windows as a requirement for unlocking CT.

But I mean the Coil weekly probably wouldn't take much to implement, since all they have to do is have it give one of the new relic tokens as a reward. Let you pick one out of each four. It shouldn't break relic progression.

Well, they're adding craftable versions of 1st and 2nd Coil drops in 3.2, or at least they were talking about it. There's a good chance you'll either need to desynth Coil drops, or else crafting items will drop directly from beating Coil bosses. Either way, that should be incentive to go back and touch upon Coil again.

Eldren

They should have added the four relic items as possible rewards for that weekly Crystal Tower quest too. It would've been another option for those doing the grind (1 out of 80 per week won't exactly make it a walk in the park) and it would give people a reason to go back and do all 3 towers again, which would reduce queue times for new players.

Anyway, how likely is it that anything amazing will be added to the Gold Saucer MGP rewards guy? I have enough now for the adamantoise mount and it's really tempting, especially knowing that it'll fly in 3.2. But chances are that new mounts will be added at some point, as well as new hairstyles and maybe some glamour gear, so I don't want any buyer's remorse. Plus I'm about 10 days away from the bomb palanquin. I'll wait and see for now I guess.

WolvenOne

So, are there still any classic Final Fantasy bosses you guys would like to see pop up?

Dancing Calcobrena? Atma Weapon? Hades? Three Sisters?

omlet

It would be fun to see a raid roulette with the Crystal Tower and similar things. I missed the third one due to taking a break and was hoping to go run it to see it but now it's impossible to get a group for so that dream is currently comatose.

I haven't seen coil past T6, either, but at least with that I can probably find some people who would drag me through that for all the newbie tome bonuses.

Squishy3

But then nobody would ever wipe.
This would be hilarious.

braska's final aeon would probably be cool though, complete with tidus crossover where the only cutscene with him is the laugh cutscene

also there's people planning crystal tower sundays over on reddit so just check when they're doing it this next sunday and queue up, grab some people via FC or PF. you'd be able to entice people with the clear bonus

Top Bottom