• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
For those playing FFXIV on PS4 how bad is the lag for you?

I experience quite a bit at times. It'll freeze for 10 to 20 seconds. Then everything will catch up really really fast. Or I'll be completely disconnected other times. I'm on wifi btw, which I heard isn't the PS4's strongest suit.

Omni

I experience quite a bit at times. It'll freeze for 10 to 20 seconds. Then everything will catch up really really fast. Or I'll be completely disconnected other times. I'm on wifi btw, which I heard isn't the PS4's strongest suit.

It's actually fine for me and I use wifi. Nothing like what you're describing. Plus I have the added latency of being in Australia playing on a NA server.

Valor

The wi fi on my ps4 is pretty flawless for the most part, so I can't really relate to the poor connectivity other people are talking about.

I've experienced rubber banding a bit like that, but nothing frequent or even often. If it's happening a lot you probably want to find a way to lan it up.

Ken

I had the same experience with PS4 wifi but my wifi itself is pretty spotty so it's probably that and not the PS4.

White Destiny PS4.

iammeiam

It's worth noting if you're on Comcast or an ISP routing through level3, the problem isn't your PS4, it's your network routing.

Unfortunately the only solution is a VPN, which is easier to do on PC and why I've given up on PS4 for the most part.

Tesseract

Banned
hey guys, about to jump in

ran the heavensward benchmark, am i good to go?

Code:
FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Benchmark
Tested on: 1/25/2016 12:23:57 AM
Score: 11646
Average Frame Rate: 88.983
Performance: Extremely High
 -Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
Loading Times by Scene
  Scene #1	1.057 sec
  Scene #2	4.800 sec
  Scene #3	3.816 sec
  Scene #4	3.992 sec
  Scene #5	3.306 sec
  Scene #6	1.516 sec
Total Loading Time	18.489 sec

DAT:s20160125002357.dat

Screen Size: 1920x1080
Screen Mode: Full Screen
DirectX Version: 11
Graphics Presets: Maximum
General
-Wet Surface Effects: Enabled
-Occlusion Culling: Disabled
-LOD on Distant Objects: Disabled
-Real-time Reflections: Highest Quality (DirectX 11 Only)
-Edge Smoothing (Anti-aliasing): FXAA
-Transparent Lighting Quality: High
-Grass Quality: High
-Background Tessellation: High Quality
-Water Tessellation: High Quality
Shadows
-Self: Display
-Other NPCs: Display
Shadow Quality
-LOD on Shadows: Disabled
-Shadow Resolution: High - 2048p
-Shadow Cascading: Best
-Shadow Softening: Strong
Texture Detail
-Texture Filtering: Anisotropic
-Anisotropic Filtering: x16
Movement Physics
-Self: Full
-Other NPCs: Full
Effects
-Limb Darkening: Enabled
-Radial Blur: Enabled
-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+: High Quality (DirectX 11 Only)
-Glare: Normal
Cinematic Cutscenes
-Depth of Field: Enabled

System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.151230-0600)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
16332.598MB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (VRAM 3072 MB) 10.18.0013.6143

Benchmark results do not provide any guarantee FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (Windows version) and FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward (Windows version) will run on your system.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Official Website http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/
(C) 2010-2015 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Share Results
Type 1
http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV Score: 11646 1920x1080 Maximum DX11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
Type 2
http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV Score: 11646 1920x1080 Maximum DirectX11 Full Screen NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
Type 3
http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV 1920x1080 Maximum DirectX11 Score: 11646 Extremely High 
Type 4
http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV 1920x1080 Maximum DirectX11 Full Screen Score: 11646 
Full Results
FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Benchmark 
 Score: 11646 Extremely High 
 1920x1080 Maximum DirectX11 Full Screen 
 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 
 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 
 http://sqex.to/ffxiv_bench_na #FFXIV

WolvenOne

So, if a trial awarded an accessory that was only ilvl1, but gave your character a unique glow, and changed the lighting effects for your moves to match said glow, would you consider this accessory worth farming up?

BadRNG

So, if a trial awarded an accessory that was only ilvl1, but gave your character a unique glow, and changed the lighting effects for your moves to match said glow, would you consider this accessory worth farming up?
How much farming would be required? If it's like original pony level then no, buffed pony yeah maybe, relic then hell no.

Would probably need to be dyable glow too, like the Gordian weapons sort of.

WolvenOne

How much farming would be required? If it's like original pony level then no, buffed pony yeah maybe, relic then hell no.

Would probably need to be dyable glow too, like the Gordian weapons sort of.

Less than the percentage of nightmare dropping, obviously

Oh, I was just trying to think of hypothetical rewards for Savage Primals. I kinda figured that accessory, a different mount, and a title would probably be sufficient.

iammeiam

If it's farmable before the primal gets mind-numbing, then sign me up. Like, Thordan barding levels of farm are fine. Precision Alex tokens, I'll pass.

Also Tomo enlightened me to the fact that Metallic Purple is the best Gordian weapon dye color. All other colors are inferior. If I could glow like a metallic purple Gordian weapon, I'd be content.

WolvenOne

If it's farmable before the primal gets mind-numbing, then sign me up. Like, Thordan barding levels of farm are fine. Precision Alex tokens, I'll pass.

Also Tomo enlightened me to the fact that Metallic Purple is the best Gordian weapon dye color. All other colors are inferior. If I could glow like a metallic purple Gordian weapon, I'd be content.

Yeah, I'm generally opposed to ultra low drop rates in general.

Anyhow, I was thinking along the lines of characters glowing a color, having some interesting particle effect when moving, and certain spells and abilities getting color shifted.

So for example, a Garuda glow necklace would make the character glow pale green, little feathers would follow the character around, and spells like fire 3 and whatnot would become pale green.

Just an example of course.

WolvenOne

Given that they answered Darkside aura complaints and even gave a toggle option I'm going to say no.

Not sure why they can't just toggle all such glows on or off. Considering how reluctant they are to do things that require lots of resources, it must not have been a big deal.

Ken

Not sure why they can't just toggle all such glows on or off. Considering how reluctant they are to do things that require lots of resources, it must not have been a big deal.

"Let's create a new type of glamour while also giving players the option to disable seeing them on other players!"

Then again I suppose Augmented gear glow is a thing.

WolvenOne

"Let's create a new type of glamour while also giving players the option to disable seeing them on other players!"

And this is different from how they handled the Dark Knight glow, how exactly?

Well, in any case it's just an idea. Also the augmented glowing gear is what first got me thinking along these lines.

Ken

And this is different from how they handled the Dark Knight glow, how exactly?

Well, in any case it's just an idea. Also the augmented glowing gear is what first got me thinking along these lines.

DRK glow just came with the job skill while you're proposing new items that are ideally desirable to the audience to get them to do the content.

It would be like saying the design team added the persistent glow as the main draw to get players to take up DRK.

Squishy3

It's still ridiculous that DRK glow is what it is when they had a better version. :/

It looks so poopy right now. Blood of the Dragon looks great, why can't Darkside?

WolvenOne

DRK glow just came with the job skill while you're proposing new items that are ideally desirable to the audience to get them to do the content.

It would be like saying the design team added the persistent glow as a draw to get players to take up DRK.

If the toggle is set to see such glows by default most people will see it. What's more, a lot of people work for glamours to please themselves rather then others. So it should be fine.

BadRNG

It would be like saying the design team added the persistent glow as the main draw to get players to take up DRK.
While not a main draw, the original glow/DRK animations in general are undeniably designed as a draw for players to play them. No other reason they are so over the top/flashy. It looks cool so people become interested, just like people farm glamor because they think it looks cool
or they want to look like a stripper

They could easily get over all of this by making Nuadia's proposed glow only active with weapon draw if a setting to disable it separately is so hard to pull off. They can already disable glows on sheathed weapons, no idea why this would be different.

It's still ridiculous that DRK glow is what it is when they had a better version. :/

It looks so poopy right now. Blood of the Dragon looks great, why can't Darkside?
The worst part was the excuse they used for dropping the flames, that it didn't look natural while moving/mounted. The current aura doesn't exactly look great at any point.

As to why the current isn't good though, in relation to BotD, is probably because it was a late half-assed change while BotD was designed properly from day one. They were still showing the flames really close to release, couldn't of had much time spent developing the current red blob.

Squishy3

The worst part was the excuse they used for dropping the flames, that it didn't look natural while moving/mounted. The current aura doesn't exactly look great at any point.

As to why the current isn't good though, in relation to BotD, is probably because it was a late half-assed change while BotD was designed properly from day one. They were still showing the flames really close to release, couldn't of had much time spent developing the current red blob.
I watched it again just to be sure, and then I realized they also changed Shelltron's animation to what we see now. (the mini tank-LB3)

Before it used to be the Paladin would raise the shield and then flip the sword. (At least, I'm assuming this is Shelltron, the animation in-game is similar to it minus the sword flipping) :/ https://youtu.be/kbvv0rgrT4k?t=19

BadRNG

I watched it again just to be sure, and then I realized they also changed Shelltron's animation to what we see now. (the mini tank-LB3)

Before it used to be the Paladin would raise the shield and then flip the sword. (At least, I'm assuming this is Shelltron, the animation in-game is similar to it minus the sword flipping) :/ https://youtu.be/kbvv0rgrT4k?t=19
Almost positive that is Clemency, not Shelltron, and it's same as it is now in game. Spirits definitely different though.

I think they showed Shelltron in one of the LB videos? And was same as now.

WolvenOne

Setting this hypothetical glow to only be active during weapon draws would be fine. I was thinking that it would be a little odd for somebody to be sitting around drinking tea while glowing with the fiery power of ifrit, or whatnot.

Plus I guess there's cuts scenes and whatnot.

Squishy3

Sheltron and Goring aren't shown in that video.
That's what made me think it was Sheltron, haha. I knew it wasn't Goring Blade. I can count the amount of times I've used divine veil on one hand, granted I don't raid on my paladin. That's why I didn't recognize the animation.

BadRNG

Setting this hypothetical glow to only be active during weapon draws would be fine. It would be odd for somebody to be sitting around drinking tea while glowing with the fiery power of ifrit, or whatnot.
All I know is, if it effected ability colors, then DRK, MNK, WAR, and DRG would all be super saiyans with a titan glow accessory. (did I miss any glowy aura classes?)

And I for one would welcome our new saiyan overlords.

WolvenOne

All I know is, if it effected ability colors, then DRK, MNK, WAR, and DRG would all be super saiyans with a titan glow accessory. (did I miss any glowy aura classes?)

And I for one would welcome our new saiyan overlords.

Titan accessories would make you go super saiyan? That'd rock!

Pachimari

Finally bought Heavensward: Collector's Edition!

I'm kind of out of the loop, as I don't know what have been added in recent months, but have they said anything about the next update? And where can I go to remain up-to-date?

Hopefully I can get to lvl. 20 today or tomorrow.

Omni

Just got this yesterday, does anyone have any tips for a total beginner?
Its also my first MMORPG.
Did you see the guides and stuff in the first post? Check these out if you haven't. They helped me a lot when I started

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3bheg1/guide_to_catching_up_to_patch_30_heavensward/
https://www.youtube.com/user/MTQcapture (Video guides for dungeons and stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALEd8FzfaUt-HBBZctO9cg (Mr Happy has like a complete walk-through of the entire game almost... haha. It's a HUGE series, but bits are helpful if you've got some time)

There's quite a bit to cover though

How long do I have to wait to get accepted into the guild. Not that I'm impatient but I don't know if you guys have a lot of applications or I was just forgotten. Thanks

Ken

How long do I have to wait to get accepted into the guild. Not that I'm impatient but I don't know if you guys have a lot of applications or I was just forgotten. Thanks

There's no officers online at the moment to accept applicants if you're K.K.

Looking for a permanent caster for my static on ultros. Working on A4. Hit me up if you know someone or are interested yourself.

Also, commander rank achieved.

Top Bottom