• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

I might note that supposedly the next round of crafted armor is supposed to be competitive with raid armor. If that's the case, and this is the crafted Coil armor, then yes I could easily see people farming Coil for the materials they'll need.

iammeiam

I expect, something like Kirimu Coat 2.0. Somebody is getting hosed with secondaries next tier.

At some point they just need to accept some farm-content should just simply be allowed to complete super fast. Poetic farms of old coil helped reinvigorate interest (albeit first time clears repeatedly) that it's something they should just learn from and make that content just worth more outright.

Poetic coil farms were just a rehash of BONUS SOLD Zodiac runs; they pretty clearly learned their lesson which was they can use relic to motivate people to rush new people through things. They took what they learned from it and, following the HW Environmentally Concious Design Recycling Program, redid it the same way.

This is also why I half suspect the dyeable Allagan stuff will also be the next tier of crafted raid gear and will use High Allagan Leather, High Allagan Silk, etc. it worked out the first time!

Ken

Being this excited for repurposed Coil gear when BnS buttwindow/fishnet outfits exist.

someone take me to bns

scy

Poetic coil farms were just a rehash of BONUS SOLD Zodiac runs; they pretty clearly learned their lesson which was they can use relic to motivate people to rush new people through things. They took what they learned from it and, following the HW Environmentally Concious Design Recycling Program, redid it the same way.

Which is unfortunate that the only thing they learned from it was this. Though, now that I think about it, the only thing they really could have learned was that people will farm bonuses and not really related to the content itself.

This is also why I half suspect the dyeable Allagan stuff will also be the next tier of crafted raid gear and will use High Allagan Leather, High Allagan Silk, etc. it worked out the first time!

ohboy.

Going to get real comfy killing everything but T7 (elevator too long!) again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm pretty excited for 3.2 even if a lot of it is a rehash of what they keep doing. I'm mostly interested in the main scenario and new raid tier, which should keep me busy for a while. Dyed High Allagan stuff should be fun too... I need that healer set (still the best outfit in the game)!

WolvenOne

November/December probably.

Also, for laziness of quoting, the crafted gear won't actually be on equal footing with raid gear.

Didn't say equal footing, I said competitive. In the same sense that Void Ark gear is competitive with raid gear.

For example, using the current ilvl cap as an analog. Imagine if we had gotten ilvl190 crafted gear when Alex Savage came out. Well, with overmelds, that 190 gear would have been just a tiny bit better than 200 gear. I'm expecting something pretty close to this. I mean yeah I know overmelding is being nerfed such a bit, but after getting 1-2 pieces of main stat materia on each and filling the rest out with overmelded secondaries it should work out about the same.

Edit: Now that I think about it, have you ever been able to meld main stat materia to main body armor? Alas, my experience is mostly limited to accessories.

Sorian

Banned
Didn't say equal footing, I said competitive. In the same sense that Void Ark gear is competitive with raid gear.

For example, using the current ilvl cap as an analog. Imagine if we had gotten ilvl190 crafted gear when Alex Savage came out. Well, with overmelds, that 190 gear would have been just a tiny bit better than 200 gear. I'm expecting something pretty close to this. I mean yeah I know overmelding is being nerfed such a bit, but after getting 1-2 pieces of main stat materia on each and filling the rest out with overmelded secondaries it should work out about the same.

With how weak the stat weights have been with secondaries, the bolded isn't really true. Now this could change as we have access to more points in each secondary but yeah, overmelding all you want wouldn't have made ilvl 190 gear better than the main stat increase from having ilvl 200.

But I see what you are saying, basically they just realized that every change they thought was good for 3.0 was completely stupid and they are reverting back to the formula that worked (read as: crafting gear is a good crutch and don't cater to the top 1% when making raid content).

Edit: And no to your edit, which is where the weak stat weight of secondary stats comes into play.

WolvenOne

Alas, you're right that without either adding more slots to crafted gear, or giving people access to Tier 6 materia, making crafted armor better then gear that's ten ilvls higher is going to be difficult. Granted, I think you could get pretty close to ilvl200 equivalent gear with the current set up, but it'd require almost exclusive use of tier 5 materia, and would still be juuuuuust a little less potent. More like ilvl 195-197, something like that.

Again, using current caps as an analog since we don't know what the new ilvl cap is going to be.

Edit and PS: Actually, increasing the maximum slots to six might not be that out of the question. Since they're adding a single materia meld slot to Tome and Raid gear, I could see them adjusting crafted gear just a hair to compensate. Guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm just gonna say this right now, pentamelding every new piece of battle gear you obtain if that's how they're expecting it to proceed, can fuck right off.

Sorian

Banned
I'm just gonna say this right now, pentamelding every new piece of battle gear you obtain if that's how they're expecting it to proceed, can fuck right off.

The new raid gear only has one slot in it, no option of overmelding.

Edit: That's the idea at the moment at least, who knows what happens.

WolvenOne

Well, for Tome/Raid gear, you can only meld to the one slot, and it's a 100% guaranteed slot. So it'll mostly be useful for making certain you have no single piece that is a complete waste of secondaries.

(See: ParryAccuracy, Accuracy/Skill Speed, whatever.)

Crafted gear will probably mainly be for groups that want to push content immediately without waiting for Tome Gear. So excessive pentamelding shouldn't be a thing for most players. Of course, later crafted gear will be picked up for glamour.

iammeiam

I don't think they've specified only one slot per tome gear; they've said over melding won't be allowed, but I don't know that you can rule out two slots on some of the left pieces (chest/legs.) It'll just be about cramming rank V materia into however many slots they give us. No overmeld RNG, at least.

Billion dollar question is how much easier they're making next tier for how relevant that ends up being, I guess. It does add the flexibility of potentially not having to use weaker gear just because your better gear doesn't meet acc caps, at least.

Look forward to Scholars buying up ACC V materia.

WolvenOne

I don't think they've specified only one slot per tome gear; they've said over melding won't be allowed, but I don't know that you can rule out two slots on some of the left pieces (chest/legs.) It'll just be about cramming rank V materia into however many slots they give us. No overmeld RNG, at least.

Billion dollar question is how much easier they're making next tier for how relevant that ends up being, I guess. It does add the flexibility of potentially not having to use weaker gear just because your better gear doesn't meet acc caps, at least.

Look forward to Scholars buying up ACC V materia.

Ayep, healers are gonna go gaga for accuracy Materia. "You mean my attacks will finally, NOT MISS!?!?! :D"

scy

At current prices, pentamelds don't seem to be the worst thing ever. But since that's due to the lack of demand more than anything else ... welp.

Unless they change the current restrictions and allow for Vs to be overmelded.

WolvenOne

Just realized that I'll need to farm out that Pegasus before 3.2. Otherwise any gear I get will NEED to be put towards materia. *Head desks*

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They said you can't overmeld primary stats which made it sound like Crit/Det are fair game.
Right now, crafting Vs are not overmeldable at all for instance but who knows how it's gonna change?

I mean, the entire system needs a complete rework, but knowing this game it's gonna be some stupid bandaid instead.

iammeiam

It's a convoluted bandaid and it's hard to tell if we're all talking about the same thing.

You WILL be able to pentameld crafted gear, but primary stat can only go in the real slots:

Additionally, to coincide with this, we’ll be increasing the stats on the higher-tier equipment that can be made by crafters, which will be implemented in Patch 3.2. Up until now this equipment has been balanced based on the fact that it would become extremely powerful when materia is placed on it through advanced materia melding. However, due to the fact that advanced materia melding of main stat materia will no longer be possible in Patch 3.2, we’ll be increasing the stats of this equipment, and they will be useable for challenging raids early.

Aside from VIT on accessories to make HP checks and tank accessories in general, I don't think early progression crafted stuff is changing much. Accessories may be a little better base, but the actual melds for most slots stay the same.

You WILL NOT be able to pentameld the tome/raid gear:

I’m sure there are many of you concerned about what will happen to the prices of materia, but from Patch 3.2 onwards, we will be adding materia slots to raid rewards and equipment that can be purchased with Allagan tomestones. While it won’t be possible to advance materia meld them, you will be able to increase the stats with the materia that you like.

Which is where I assume the V market is going to explode. Given that you can meld the actual best gear, people aren't going to want to waste a single limited slot on lower materia.

Source.

scy

Unless I'm mistaken, you just flat out cannot overmeld Vs currently.

Now I'm starting to suspect I imagined that being a thing.

iammeiam

Dude

Dude

We are discussing the overhaul they're giving melding in 3.2

Nobody cares what you can do now. Maybe Vs will be a thing! Maybe they hate us that much!

Jayhawk

Not too many people running around with the ilvl 170 crafted battle gear to test this out, since those are the only pieces that can take materia Vs! I'm guessing you just imagined it being a thing. Don't remember such restrictions.

WolvenOne

Not too many people running around with the ilvl 170 crafted battle gear to test this out, since those are the only pieces that can take materia Vs! I'm guessing you just imagined it being a thing. Don't remember such restrictions.

Somebody buy a NQ 170 gear and all the tier5 elemental materia, STAT!!!

MogCakes

Would be nice if high level crafted/melded gear was a fair bit better than dropped gear. Would incentivize more people to start crafting, drive up the demand for crafters in raid parties and would start to equalize the economy.

Sorian

Banned
Would be nice if high level crafted/melded gear was a fair bit better than dropped gear. Would incentivize more people to start crafting, drive up the demand for crafters in raid parties and would start to equalize the economy.

Why raid if the reward is worse than the gear you already have?

BadRNG

This never works out because then the entire game is just about who has the most gil. Or, inevitably, who has the most actual money to buy gil. No thanks.

Crafted gear being good(but not required) for early raid while people are undergeared is a fine niche.

scy

Dude

Dude

We are discussing the overhaul they're giving melding in 3.2

Nobody cares what you can do now. Maybe Vs will be a thing! Maybe they hate us that much!

I know it's about the overhaul, was just saying that it currently stands (which you proved false, anyway). RIP all of the everything I knew then.

Edit: Also, they probably do hate us that much.

Jayhawk

We also learned Angary uses the mobile version of Reddit. Now we just need to determine whether she posts her /r/ffxiv arguments on a phone or tablet.

I went too play this again the other day on ps4 (ps3 user) and i upgraded when the beta came out, i thought i got a free upgrade too the ps4 version? As i have 0 access too it on my ps4 now.
Have i gotta buy the game again?

Redx508

I went too play this again the other day on ps4 (ps3 user) and i upgraded when the beta came out, i thought i got a free upgrade too the ps4 version? As i have 0 access too it on my ps4 now.
Have i gotta buy the game again?

the only way to get the free upgrade was to sign up for it http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/ps3_users/ which ended April 1, 2015

if you want to buy the ps4 one i see a deal on PSN http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/01/26/playstation-store-update-427/

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Collectors Edition (bundle) $20.00
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Standard Edition Bundle $10.00

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
PS4 version is $10 on PSN so its pretty much free considering it comes with a 30 day sub.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ran VA twice trying to get my DRG some pants before saying fuck it at the end of the 2nd run and just greeding on the tank arm piece.

Omni

Void Ark gear is so ugly

I had the full set on my Bard but I've been replacing it with the Eso stuff for weeks now (WHM is i208 so I have nothing else to use it on). Most of the gear looks amazing. I'd use it for glamour by itself.

the only way to get the free upgrade was to sign up for it http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/ps3_users/ which ended April 1, 2015

if you want to buy the ps4 one i see a deal on PSN http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/01/26/playstation-store-update-427/

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Collectors Edition (bundle) $20.00
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Standard Edition Bundle $10.00

I did sign up way back then, I have played it on my PS4, just it is no where in my library and does not say purchased on the store :(

Also from the UK.

Still waiting on support :(

WolvenOne

Rather wish you could intentionally sign up for 8v8v8 matches of Frontlines. It feels a heck of a lot less like herding cats then the normal size matches. XD

Top Bottom