• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
whats it like for new people to join now, played way before heavensward but had other games at time too and dropped it, worth looking into playing now ?

Jayhawk

whats it like for new people to join now, played way before heavensward but had other games at time too and dropped it, worth looking into playing now ?

It's a decent time for a new person to start playing. There is a lull right now for end-game, but that won't concern you for some time.

rubius01

I am sad to say the Kitty is dead .

However from the ashes rose this BAMF.

ffxiv_28012016_180338qoxml.jpg

.......BAMF is not how you spell horrid downgrade.

I met a player in dungeon today who was constantly calling me a cutie and some other shit. I play as a female character with a nickname I randomized so it's feminine but I'm a male. It's quite funny seeing it from this perspective.

Sorian

Banned
I met a player in dungeon today who was constantly calling me a cutie and some other shit. I play as a female character with a nickname I randomized so it's feminine but I'm a male. It's quite funny seeing it from this perspective.

ERP knows no gender boundaries.

I remember one time when I was doing Titan EX a lalafell had a /emote macro to slap the butt of his current target, so he ran around doing this while also spamming the laugh emote.

Omni

I understand why people play opposite gender characters/body types now. It's freedom.

My character looks like this: (middle one)

Which is obviously nothing like what I am in real life. Haha. But it's not so much to do with "freedom", as it is that 99% of the non-tanking gear in this game looks absolutely ridiculous on the males. In other series I'm fine playing as a guy, such as Mass Effect or whatever, but yanno. I'm a total glamour whore and if something doesn't look good, it bothers me. So I just couldn't get into it with XIV. Not really much thought in it beyond that because hey, it's a video game. People can play as whoever they want.

Though admitedly I've had my fair share of people trying to hit on me for who knows what creepy reason

BadRNG

or to put this another way : if i am going to spend looking at my characters ass for 100's of hours ,it might as well be an ass worth watching .

Exactly. Right on the money with this one.

Never got this argument, who stares at their character's ass all day? In any game? If you wanna play as Cutie McStripper von Jigglewiggle that's cool, I just never got that particular reasoning.

Sorian

Banned
Never got this argument, who stares at their character's ass all day? In any game? If you wanna play as Cutie McStripper von Jigglewiggle that's cool, I just never got that particular reasoning.

Character framing in most MMOs most definitely put your player in the center of the screen. Of course you are looking around at what is ahead of your character or for other things on the screen but in normal circumstances, even when zoomed out, odds are your character's ass is somewhere near the center of the screen.

BadRNG

Character framing in most MMOs most definitely put your player in the center of the screen. Of course you are looking around at what is ahead of your character or for other things on the screen but in normal circumstances, even when zoomed out, odds are your character's ass is somewhere near the center of the screen.
Yeah, but there's a fairly big difference between it being on the screen and you really staring at it constantly. As you said, most of the time you will be looking at pretty much everything but your character. Even in games with much much closer cameras than MMOs, the character itself is usually just in peripheral vision more or less. All the action is around them.

I think it depends on how you define your character, and how you choose to play. Some people are completely detached and just see it as "that character I control" whereas some people consider their character to be them while they are playing.

For the latter group, staring at your own ass wouldn't make much sense.

or would it, I guess there's a reason mirrors exist irl

Thorgal

This games Graphics is still astounding me in places .

Like sometimes i forget i am playing an MMO. (not that other MMO's are ugly of course . ).

ffxiv_29012016_0013106rue4.jpg

rubius01

I think it depends on how you define your character, and how you choose to play. Some people are completely detached and just see it as "that character I control" whereas some people consider their character to be them while they are playing.

For the latter group, staring at your own ass wouldn't make much sense.

or would it, I guess there's a reason mirrors exist irl

I always see my ass no matter where I look. You should see the mirror set up at my house.......

Squishy3

Isn't it just somewhere part of Dalamud landed? I seem to remember having to go there in one of the coil unlock quests.
It's also just similar to all the circular crystals in Sea of Clouds

The interesting thing about this is looking this up there's a Castrum visible in Coerthas. People said it's Marinum in the thread I got it from but it wouldn't make sense to see it that clearly all the way from Coerthas to Western Thanalan

9LPygaz.png

Grisby

Was wondering if anyone could give me a hand. I'm having the absolute worse lag during night-time play. I mean, the action will halt for a good minute or so before it speeds back up and everyone's left me behind.

Now, it's plays just fine in the morning and afternoons, and I remember a few months ago it was fine at night. Every time I log in it says my connection is excellent.

Holy shit, like, even trying to log out of the game is a chore. It's unplayable.

iammeiam

Was wondering if anyone could give me a hand. I'm having the absolute worse lag during night-time play. I mean, the action will halt for a good minute or so before it speeds back up and everyone's left me behind.

Now, it's plays just fine in the morning and afternoons, and I remember a few months ago it was fine at night. Every time I log in it says my connection is excellent.

Holy shit, like, even trying to log out of the game is a chore. It's unplayable.

Do a trace route to the data center. If you see hops through Level3, congratulations you're screwed.

This can potentially happen to anyone, but has been chronic for Comcast users since late November.

Level3 is basically an Internet middleman. They sit between your ISP and SE's Datacenter and pass traffic back and forth. They are also garbage, and frequently drop packets. Comcast rerouted their Montreal traffic over Level3 a few months ago and life has been garbage since. It periodically happens to everyone if overflow data gets routed through L3 I think. If that's what's happening, SE can't do anything about it. ISPs will point at It as outside their network and not their issue. Level3 isn't going to care about you because their contract is with your ISP.

I gave up and started using a VPN. There will be patches of low congestion where things work fine vanilla, but during primetime it's basically mandatory if I want to see tethers or dodge AOEs consistently.

On the bright side, if you're not routing through level3, whatever you have might be fixable.

Grisby

Do a trace route to the data center. If you see hops through Level3, congratulations you're screwed.

This can potentially happen to anyone, but has been chronic for Comcast users since late November.

Level3 is basically an Internet middleman. They sit between your ISP and SE's Datacenter and pass traffic back and forth. They are also garbage, and frequently drop packets. Comcast rerouted their Montreal traffic over Level3 a few months ago and life has been garbage since. It periodically happens to everyone if overflow data gets routed through L3 I think. If that's what's happening, SE can't do anything about it. ISPs will point at It as outside their network and not their issue. Level3 isn't going to care about you because their contract is with your ISP.

I gave up and started using a VPN. There will be patches of low congestion where things work fine vanilla, but during primetime it's basically mandatory if I want to see tethers or dodge AOEs consistently.

On the bright side, if you're not routing through level3, whatever you have might be fixable.
Ok, well, I had to look up how to do a trace route thing. I am on Comcast as it's really the only viable option in my small town.

I got the Ormuco level 13 in Montreal at one point. Whatever that means. I don't have this in other games, and it played fine this past weekend when I was doing the void ark, which you think would stress it more.

Btw- Thanks for the help.

iammeiam

Ok, well, I had to look up how to do a trace route thing. I am on Comcast as it's really the only viable option in my small town.

I got the Ormuco level 13 in Montreal at one point. Whatever that means. I don't have this in other games, and it played fine this past weekend when I was doing the void ark, which you think would stress it more.

Btw- Thanks for the help.

It's not about you, really. Level3 is essentially passing data between Comcast and Montreal (where the servers are); what happens in times of heavy traffic between the two areas is Level3 gets overwhelmed and drops bits and pieces of data. If you're watching streaming video which has buffered a lot, you don't notice. FFXIV is small data, but when packets are dropping you notice. So it's not what you're doing that matters, it matters how many people are trying to cram traffic through that specific choke point. Too many people, and your connection to the game suffers.

It won't happen when traffic is low, and only happens when you're connecting somewhere that uses that specific hop--most games you play won't have servers in Montreal, so for a lot of people FFXIV is the only thing it happens to. SE does have a thread on the official forum for tracking complaints about this; they can call Comcast and ask them to fix their routing, which I assume is what they're doing, but that's about it.

And no problem--it's an annoying and weird issue and as somebody stuck on Comcast I sympathize.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's also just similar to all the circular crystals in Sea of Clouds

The interesting thing about this is looking this up there's a Castrum visible in Coerthas. People said it's Marinum in the thread I got it from but it wouldn't make sense to see it that clearly all the way from Coerthas to Western Thanalan
That's Castrum Aquilonis. It's abandoned.

Grisby

It's not about you, really. Level3 is essentially passing data between Comcast and Montreal (where the servers are); what happens in times of heavy traffic between the two areas is Level3 gets overwhelmed and drops bits and pieces of data. If you're watching streaming video which has buffered a lot, you don't notice. FFXIV is small data, but when packets are dropping you notice. So it's not what you're doing that matters, it matters how many people are trying to cram traffic through that specific choke point. Too many people, and your connection to the game suffers.

It won't happen when traffic is low, and only happens when you're connecting somewhere that uses that specific hop--most games you play won't have servers in Montreal, so for a lot of people FFXIV is the only thing it happens to. SE does have a thread on the official forum for tracking complaints about this; they can call Comcast and ask them to fix their routing, which I assume is what they're doing, but that's about it.

And no problem--it's an annoying and weird issue and as somebody stuck on Comcast I sympathize.
Thanks for the in-depth explanation. I'm definitely not as high on tech talk as I was a few years ago.

Hopefully, it gets sorted out. I mean, I'm just leveling my second class (bard) and doing void ark once a week with my WHM, but yeah, I'd like to play during prime-time hours. I don't really know how to set up a VPN, but this has sent me down the rabbit hole of looking up service (WTFast?). Don't really feel like paying for something like that though when it's one game.

Yeah, it's a bummer. Real bummer.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I started using a vpn at night to fix it.

Squishy3

Never set one up before. I guess I'll have a look around on the internet this weekend. Can you set one up for FF14 and then turn it off?
There was one people throwing around as an alternative to WTFast (since they removed the free version) where you sign up for like $5 or $10 or something and then it works like prepaid phone minutes where the bandwidth you bought is only used up as you use it, and since MMOs don't actually transmit all that much raw data it's good for an extremely long period of time as long as you only use it when playing FFXIV.

Someone else probably remembers what it's called.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lately all I log in for is Gold Saucer.

The catcpot ticket
the mini-games to kill the 5 minutes before a GATE.
then I log off

._.

Squishy3

Does anyone know what the Thordan EX PF parties are like on Ultros? Never got the clear since the group I was trying to do it with just kind of naturally fell off of it despite us making it most of the way through the fight and the rest was just learning the last few phases and improving our DPS in the specific fight.

Ken

Does anyone know what the Thordan EX PF parties are like on Ultros? Never got the clear since the group I was trying to do it with just kind of naturally fell off of it despite us making it most of the way through the fight and the rest was just learning the last few phases and improving our DPS in the specific fight.

Poopy.

Also farm parties went extinct the last two weeks (probably cause of people finishing anima) and now it's mostly just slow to fill learning parties.

Also also farm parties were generally traps.

Also also also the two people that most often set up farms finished their tokens and haven't been seen since.

Squishy3

Poopy.

Also farm parties went extinct the last two weeks (probably cause of people finishing anima) and now it's mostly just slow to fill learning parties.

Also also farm parties were generally traps.
I don't really want any of the stuff from it, I mean Thordan weap would be nice but it's not a high priority. Just more to do it so I can say I did it at this point.

And yeah, I went through the Ravana EX farm party traps multiple times. And that fight's even simpler than Thordan EX!

Top Bottom