• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

It's less about being worried on DPS and more "oh look, they made it to the outside edge" became "oh look, it died already." Phase was never really about beating a tight check but just how much spare time you have.

We have 2x casters so it was basically just Makoto getting to nuke one to nothing and I had everything else slowed. So the only big target-planning we had was nobody really did much with Makoto's target and I'd prioritize the things that got low. Now I just slow all the things and wonder why I bother when things die before Miasma finishes.

Please. Double caster is A3S adds babymode. By the time I joined you guys in, what, midSeptember? adds hadn't been a huge thing for a while. I mostly just remember,like, the first few weeks of August with double melee being "hold your breath every time both melee get Ferrofluid" territory.

It's mostly that in both groups it seemed like consistently getting to the final phase was a bigger challenge than final phase itself ever was.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hot prediction, patch 3.2 is 2/16.
I'm not even sure I feel the urge to pick the game up and start playing a ton again. Hard to build that motivation without a raid group and so many other games out right now.

I thought for sure I'd be all hyped up about 3.2 too.

WolvenOne

It's less about being worried on DPS and more "oh look, they made it to the outside edge" became "oh look, it died already." Phase was never really about beating a tight check but just how much spare time you have.

We have 2x casters so it was basically just Makoto getting to nuke one to nothing and I had everything else slowed. So the only big target-planning we had was nobody really did much with Makoto's target and I'd prioritize the things that got low. Now I just slow all the things and wonder why I bother when things die before Miasma finishes.

Well we were having issues where our melee would run to the nearest adds immediately, even it had just barely spawned next to the water tornado, riiiiiight where I had ducked out with the tether so as not to blow up any of the ranged players on the outer edge.

Basically, they were expecting me to jump out of their way. Which would've been fine, except finding an escape route where I'm not going to blow anyone else up in a few seconds tops is, a bit unreasonable. As soon as they realized this it stopped becoming a problem, mostly. Occasionally we still had issues that stemmed from people appearing in slightly different places on each others screens.

Basically, "Why'd you keep chasing me?" "Wait what? I was running from you, you were behind me on my screen!" "What, no I, on my screen you were behind me!"

I'm not even sure I feel the urge to pick the game up and start playing a ton again. Hard to build that motivation without a raid group and so many other games out right now.

I thought for sure I'd be all hyped up about 3.2 too.

Well, there should be a trailer or something coming out within the next eighteen hours or so, it's possible something there might catch your interest. That said, there's nothing wrong with playing this game casually, at least until you find another raid group. Ideally a lot of them will be forming once people realize that 2nd Alexander is closer to Coil level difficulty.

WolvenOne

I'm guessing the 23rd. Same day the OSX version of this game goes back on sale.

That might seem like a long time to wait, but once you're down to just a few weeks the time tends to fly by.

scy

Please. Double caster is A3S adds babymode. By the time I joined you guys in, what, midSeptember? adds hadn't been a huge thing for a while. I mostly just remember,like, the first few weeks of August with double melee being "hold your breath every time both melee get Ferrofluid" territory.

It's mostly that in both groups it seemed like consistently getting to the final phase was a bigger challenge than final phase itself ever was.

It really is babymode with the 2x casters. I'm just saying the problems were typically "oh, literally nobody hit this one" and not "ohgodpleasekillitRIP" sort of things. Portioning out damage properly as opposed to doing enough total damage. And, yeah, not having the early progression 2x melee Ferrofluid is a pretty big deal and probably most of the reason it was never about finding damage and more about allocating it.

Getting to the final phase was definitely a bigger struggle than the actual final phase. Final phase could be planned out to the point it had no real decision points. Very much a part of the fight that time thinking about it made it easier than just trying to force it to work properly.

WolvenOne

Another thing that may have made a difference for us. Historically my static hasn't really been good at problem solving. We've mostly just smacked our face into content until clearing it. We couldn't really do that for the last phase though.

Once one of the new members we picked up in October decided to start problem solving the last phase, (try sitting over here instead, everyone stack here during this mechanic, etc,) then things started happening a lot more quickly.

iammeiam

We've mostly just smacked our face into content until clearing it. We couldn't really do that for the last phase though.

This is the heart of what made A3S the thing the static-killer it became and possibly why people feel it was overtuned--it was tuned high enough that you couldn't gear up to the point of that really being a viable option.

But, yeah, it also seems like we agree that the fight is basically as hard as your group makes it.

Jayhawk

I should buy the PS4 version of the game so I can easily put up a PF looking for a new WAR for 3.2 without using up resources that go into having BnS and Marvel Heroes running at the same time.

I gotta start getting that 3v3 PvP static in BnS going with livestreams.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I should buy the PS4 version of the game so I can easily put up a PF looking for a new WAR for 3.2 without using up resources that go into having BnS and Marvel Heroes running at the same time.

I gotta start getting that 3v3 PvP static in BnS going with livestreams.

Kirito leave you guys?

WolvenOne

Considering 3.1 hit the same day as Fallout 4, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Square Enix might be a little more conscious of the release of a Japanese game, then they were of a western game. Or maybe not, maybe the release dates are decided solely on whats going on in the Japanese territories.

I guess we'll find out.

Sorian

Banned
Square Enix might be a little more conscious of the release of a Japanese game, then they were of a western game. Or maybe not, maybe the release dates are decided solely on whats going on in the Japanese territories.

I guess we'll find out.

This is a bit jaded but I would 100% believe that SE thinks that they can compete with these release dates and they do it purposely.

WolvenOne

This is a bit jaded but I would 100% believe that SE thinks that they can compete with these release dates and they do it purposely.

Well, they did put out a poll asking people if they'd buy FFXV if it released at the same time as Persona 5, or something like that. So they appear to at least be nominally aware that they can't ignore every little competing games release date.

Granted, different team and all that.

Ken

*Sigh*

The ded game joke that's been going on since like 2.3, is starting to get a bit old. XD

Ded meme.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1177299

Which is weird since Destiny is in the same place FFXIV is!

I'll never understand people that quit for Destiny, especially when you can knock all the weekly stuff in a reset night with boss skips. I guess you have to check back in over the weekend for Trials, or a week if an event is up but meh. All I ever do now is check the Xur reddit thread to see him not sell Gravitons again.

WolvenOne

Which is weird since Destiny is in the same place FFXIV is!

Well, in that case, as with FFXIV anyone that starts playing now isn't going to have a problem. It's the people that've been going strong for ages that're either burnt out or feel they don't have enough to do. In FFXIV the grind to 60 is still huge for people just starting out, and between 3.1 and 3.0 end-game should keep people busy for awhile.

Aha, cute.

The fact that I've been hearing people saying ded game on a near daily basis for over a year, apparently hasn't entered into your conclusion at all. It just gets irritating after awhile, when you're trying to enjoy your playtime and you're hearing a chorus of, "Ded game."

Ken

Aha, cute.

The fact that I've been hearing people saying ded game on a near daily basis for over a year, apparently hasn't entered into your conclusion at all. It just gets irritating after awhile, when you're trying to enjoy your playtime and you're hearing a chorus of, "Ded game."

I don't know where you're hearing this chorus cause FC chat is dead.

Arkeband

Banned
Aha, cute.

Other people can be critical of the game and you can still enjoy it, in fact you can enjoy the game and still be critical of it yourself. These two things are not mutually exclusive!

iammeiam

I'm more shocked to learn Mumble takes the time to talk about this game at all.

It's ok, when the normal patch-week resurgence happens people can go back to shouting EVERYTHING IS FINE!

It's almost like you could characterize this game as living and dying by sporadic content infusions without anything holding it together in the between times.

PlsdontsuckMidas.

Redx508

hey just ignore that shit

gryvan

I'm more shocked to learn Mumble takes the time to talk about this game at all.

It's ok, when the normal patch-week resurgence happens people can go back to shouting EVERYTHING IS FINE!

It's almost like you could characterize this game as living and dying by sporadic content infusions without anything holding it together in the between times.

PlsdontsuckMidas.

16 legs incoming~

Jayhawk

Does anybody even need to say those two words when one can make an inference from the queue times and quality of players for PvP and Void Ark, or the amount of groups inside a Diadem hard instance?

WolvenOne

Other people can be critical of the game and you can still enjoy it, in fact you can enjoy the game and still be critical of it yourself. These two things are not mutually exclusive!

I'm critical of the game within reason. I was plenty critical of A3S for being tuned too high for the FFXIV raiding community. I was critical of the Relic patch for being a bit late and being a bit much of a grind for a single step, not critical of it being a grind mind you, just felt that it was maybe 20-25% too big. The difference is that I don't carry on endlessly, and simply choose to enjoy myself the best I can. Usually when people carry on their real complaint is that they're burnt out, but for some reason they just keep complaining instead of dealing with it.

Case in point, I've put this game on back burner status twice in the past year. Spent a week or two mainly playing other games while mostly logging into FFXIV to raid. Once I was done with those games I didn't feel burnt out anymore, and people hardly heard a peep out of me.

Look, I don't mean to be critical of people, I really don't. I just feel like sometimes people don't manage themselves very effectively when it comes to this game. I get that, and I'm guilty of it myself from time to time. Beyond a certain point however it just isn't helpful.

Okay, ramble over I guess.

dramatis

I'll never understand people that quit for Destiny, especially when you can knock all the weekly stuff in a reset night with boss skips. I guess you have to check back in over the weekend for Trials, or a week if an event is up but meh. All I ever do now is check the Xur reddit thread to see him not sell Gravitons again.
You want to leave for butts

Ken

You want to leave for butts

That and Ultros is 500% dead game. I had to pass the time yesterday with Diadem HM and 1 tank/7 healer Ravana PFs. Diadem came to a halt at the first brachiosaurus; I think we got 3 gold chests with 3 mist break fending pieces.

Also complaining about the game is about as helpful as coming into mumble to remind everyone game isn't dead cause they're grinding Frontlines to max rank, I agree.

gryvan

That and Ultros is 500% dead game. I had to pass the time yesterday with Diadem HM and 1 tank/7 healer Ravana PFs. Diadem came to a halt at the first brachiosaurus; I think we got 3 gold chests with 3 mist break fending pieces.

Also complaining about the game is about as helpful as coming into mumble to remind everyone game isn't dead cause they're grinding Frontlines to max rank, I agree.

Come play diablo 3 with me~

I will powerlevel you in 2 minutes

Top Bottom