• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

I don't really want any of the stuff from it, I mean Thordan weap would be nice but it's not a high priority. Just more to do it so I can say I did it at this point.

And yeah, I went through the Ravana EX farm party traps multiple times. And that fight's even simpler than Thordan EX!

Try one of the learning/clear parties then? I usually see one or two a day. Don't know if they actually fill. They probably have higher tolerance for wipes than farm PFs.

----

Those BnS Valentines outfits make me question why I'm paying a sub to this to look like a green metal person.

WolvenOne

Well, hit rank 46 o my PVP rank now, so I'm at the point where I can actually equip some of that armor.

Last four ranks are gonna be paaaaainful though. XD

Sifl

Pvp is painful to play as Mael on Aether atm. Adders already had 1-2 premades running 5 Smns, 2 heals and a tank. Now the best player on Aether went to adders from flames and we get steamrolled every match. We've resorted to not even trying to win and just sandwiching adders any chance we get, and spawn camping them trying to get the flames the win.

WolvenOne

Pvp is painful to play as Mael on Aether atm. Adders already had 1-2 premades running 5 Smns, 2 heals and a tank. Now the best player on Aether went to adders from flames and we get steamrolled every match. We've resorted to not even trying to win and just sandwiching adders any chance we get, and spawn camping them trying to get the flames the win.

Flames on Ultros is, weird. We get really fast queues, but our performance is all over the place. Last week I played about forty matches and got about thirteen wins out of all of them, this week it's so far been twenty three matches and three wins.

Two of those wins were in 8v8v8. Though I might note that at least one of those wins was just absurdly decisive. XD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Me playing Verminion.
0842421504b474e9ba1adb650f17996a145ff1290de6596821915c3ea53218af.jpg

iammeiam

Keep following the main story; when HW dropped they added better gear (up to i110) to the Main Story stuff from the patches so you can just continue on without the gear grind and go to 60 if you have HW. If not you can still finish the patch stories to get to i110 and then do some tome grinding for poetics stuff. You may at some point want to go back and do the other content for fun, but the 50 gear grind is no longer a necessary stopping point en route to 60.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's all the game ever really had. What people waited years for it for. I mean Tera had a ton of pandering as well but at least there was a good game there for a while.

Man I'd take the combat system and they can jettison the dumb waifu pandering.

Or they can just stick KoF 98's combat engine to resolve all pvp matches and cut out the middle man I guess.

Man I'd take the combat system and they can jettison the dumb waifu pandering.

Or they can just stick KoF 98's combat engine to resolve all pvp matches and cut out the middle man I guess.

The game (combat) is good though.

Same reason I liked Tera, but it had a better game around it for a while. I remember thinking that the action combat of those two games were going to be the future of mmos when they came out, but not it's been years and nothing new. Took the combat from like Vindictus and Dragon's Nest and put it in a more full mmorpg world instead of just "stages". Too bad we never got past the "super grindy and pandery Korean mmo" type though.

WolvenOne

New valentine's event items are ugly again. It's no wonder that these are the events I always skip.

Just bring back eastern cherry trees for next little ladies day, square!

iammeiam

New valentine's event items are ugly again. It's no wonder that these are the events I always skip.

Just bring back eastern cherry trees for next little ladies day, square!

Those hats are not bad at all, you're crazy.

Also live letter tonight/tomorrow morning. Probable sneak preview of how ugly High Gordian gear can get, a new raid, a new primal, a patch date that is sure to irritate someone, non-answers about the tank balance and materia changes, an interview with the localization guy, and an end-of-letter advertisement for some kind of merchandise you'll surely buy because it comes with a code for a minion!

Hype and/or steel yourself for disappointment as appropriate, and prepare for the inevitable two week countdown to patch notes and actual information.

Thorgal

Keep following the main story; when HW dropped they added better gear (up to i110) to the Main Story stuff from the patches so you can just continue on without the gear grind and go to 60 if you have HW. If not you can still finish the patch stories to get to i110 and then do some tome grinding for poetics stuff. You may at some point want to go back and do the other content for fun, but the 50 gear grind is no longer a necessary stopping point en route to 60.

Keep going through the main scenario.

thank you both . will do .

What about the relic quest though ? should i start that at that point and go through it entirely if i want those ?

Sorian

Banned
Those hats are not bad at all, you're crazy.

Also live letter tonight/tomorrow morning. Probable sneak preview of how ugly High Gordian gear can get, a new raid, a new primal, a patch date that is sure to irritate someone, non-answers about the tank balance and materia changes, an interview with the localization guy, and an end-of-letter advertisement for some kind of merchandise you'll surely buy because it comes with a code for a minion!

Hype and/or steel yourself for disappointment as appropriate, and prepare for the inevitable two week countdown to patch notes and actual information.

The only way they could irritate me is if they chose the last week in March since I'm on vacation and that would be such a late date that I would hope it's an impossibility.

*prepares for disappointment*

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So like, they really don't try to hide the main reason people play that game, do they?
If you follow the game at all, you'll find that the answer is no. The game itself is actually pretty decent.

iammeiam

What about the relic quest though ? should i start that at that point and go through it entirely if i want those ?

There's a level 50 relic and an unrelated level 60 relic. Since relic is designed to be a massive timesink, I'd suggest not worrying about the level 50 one. It takes less time now, but to get it to a better state than what quests will just give you will still require some time. There's a few trials gated behind the 50 relic first stage, so I'd do it eventually, but you won't really use it while leveling and you don't need it for the 60 relic. I'd file it under "things to do when bored", not a thing to go out of your way for.

If you follow the game at all, you'll find that the answer is no. The game itself is actually pretty decent.

Everything I've read about BnS's PVE endgame sounded pretty dire; I'm curious to see if it has more staying power with eating FFXIV's audience than previous big deals during Ded Gaem.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Everything I've read about BnS's PVE endgame sounded pretty dire; I'm curious to see if it has more staying power with eating FFXIV's audience than previous big deals during Ded Gaem.
Oh, yeah, forgot about that part. Apparently there is no PvE endgame outside of outfit grind right now. So in that aspect it's probably gonna suck. Haven't made it that far yet.

The costume grind is fun though so I'll stick around for that at least. Apparently PvP is supposed to be really good.

Sorian

Banned

BnS's PvE end game isn't meant to really steal from other games. A lot of the challenge is from grinding and solo challenges. I'm basically spending a lot of time getting my character all maxed up now and then it'll turn into the MMO that I follow when I'm bored with other games and want to play around with some challenging content.

Apparently there is no PvE endgame outside of outfit grind right now.

It comes in the form of Mushin's Tower releasing on 2/10

Cross-game commercial

dramatis

Oh, yeah, forgot about that part. Apparently there is no PvE endgame outside of outfit grind right now. So in that aspect it's probably gonna suck. Haven't made it that far yet.

The costume grind is fun though so I'll stick around for that at least. Apparently PvP is supposed to be really good.
Stop playing bns, I want to witness your lack of puzzle ability instead

WolvenOne

I've gotten through a good chunk of Alex Savage 3 and it doesn't seem THAT horrible, at least when it comes to mechanics.

Honestly in terms of chaos the post add phase of the fight is the worst part, and only because positioning becomes "incredibly," important.

That said, no the fight isn't so bad per-say, it just requires better group coordination then most groups have.

iammeiam

The above makes BnS sound potentially worth checking out at some point, but I lack the patience to wait in queues so sticking with The Witness.

I've gotten through a good chunk of Alex Savage 3 and it doesn't seem THAT horrible, at least when it comes to mechanics.

A3S mechanics are as hard as your group makes them. Everyone being i209 makes the damage less scary and the DPS requirement less strict, so mechanics are all it has left and failing them is less of a deal than it used to be.

Honestly in terms of chaos the post add phase of the fight is the worst part, and only because positioning becomes "incredibly," important.

That said, no the fight isn't so bad per-say, it just requires better group coordination then most groups have.

This is funny to me because I'm sticking with post-adds being the easiest part of the fight mechanically. No Wash Away or random add spawn locations to mess with stuff.

WolvenOne

The above makes BnS sound potentially worth checking out at some point, but I lack the patience to wait in queues so sticking with The Witness.

A3S mechanics are as hard as your group makes them. Everyone being i209 makes the damage less scary and the DPS requirement less strict, so mechanics are all it has left and failing them is less of a deal than it used to be.

This is funny to me because I'm sticking with post-adds being the easiest part of the fight mechanically. No Wash Away or random add spawn locations to mess with stuff.

Well, for my group adds wasn't very difficult. The DPS check isn't too severe and the only part that really gave us trouble were the tank tethers. Mostly because it took awhile for 1-2 people to realize that not getting caught in tether explosions was probably a bit more important then maximum add uptime.

Regardless, 1-2 people overestimating the add DPS check and acting accordingly isn't really mechanics. Conversely, it took us ages to figure out positioning that was going to work for everyone, for Wave/Sluice, plus we had to learn how to handle digititis differently since the way we were handling during it's first appearance wasn't cutting it.

WolvenOne

Incidentally, gonna start trying to organize some 3.0 Primal runs as soon as I'm done with my PVPalooza. I figure there's probably a few people in the FC that still need to clear Bismark and Ravana.

KotR EX, I'm mostly leaving until 3.2. That fight should be a LOT easier to clear with a GARF/Pug group after over-gearing and echo is a thing. Granted, a LOT more people in the FC need to clear Thordan, but that fight is pretty tough in comparison to the other Heavensward Primals.

iammeiam

Regardless, 1-2 people overestimating the add DPS check and acting accordingly isn't really mechanics. Conversely, it took us ages to figure out positioning that was going to work for everyone, for Wave/Sluice, plus we had to learn how to handle digititis differently since the way we were handling during it's first appearance wasn't cutting it.

This is basically what I mean by the mechanics being as difficult as your group makes them, though. My initial experience with adds differs pretty wildly from yours--I actually remember the week everyone could buy Eso pants (to go with weapon and chest) as the tipping point from DPS during adds without buffs being a worry and having to pay really close attention to who was hitting what to it being much, much easier and no longer a likely wipe if a DPS blew up--but final phase mechanics was down entirely to talking it out and planning since you can pre plan all of it to a greater degree of certainty than you can, say, Drainage during adds. Drainage randomly targets two people who can be located anywhere, and your tank/melee positioning is going to all be relative to wherever the current wave of adds is. It's not super difficult, but there are factors that you don't get to control there. Protean/Sluice/Digi/Drainage/Embolus post-adds all give you a ton of time to position for prior to them happening in final phase, so you can have everyone in the same spot every time.

WolvenOne

This is basically what I mean by the mechanics being as difficult as your group makes them, though. My initial experience with adds differs pretty wildly from yours--I actually remember the week everyone could buy Eso pants (to go with weapon and chest) as the tipping point from DPS during adds without buffs being a worry and having to pay really close attention to who was hitting what to it being much, much easier and no longer a likely wipe if a DPS blew up--but final phase mechanics was down entirely to talking it out and planning since you can pre plan all of it to a greater degree of certainty than you can, say, Drainage during adds. Drainage randomly targets two people who can be located anywhere, and your tank/melee positioning is going to all be relative to wherever the current wave of adds is. It's not super difficult, but there are factors that you don't get to control there. Protean/Sluice/Digi/Drainage/Embolus post-adds all give you a ton of time to position for prior to them happening in final phase, so you can have everyone in the same spot every time.

Well, admittedly we started a bit later, so we were slightly better geared and had a little more wiggle room on DPS. Not a vast difference mind you, but still.

I think the thing that made the biggest difference for us, is when we had ranged prioritize small adds, and melee prioritize the big adds. Seemed to become a world easier once we started doing it that way.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
According to reddit, sales of the Mac version resume on February 23rd.
Presumably to coincide with a patch for that version?

And there's your date. All according to keikaku.

scy

Man, all that BnS here too. You people.
is that where everyone is going when this game dies in two days

Stop playing bns, I want to witness your lack of puzzle ability instead

that puzzle is too hard rip

Well, admittedly we started a bit later, so we were slightly better geared and had a little more wiggle room on DPS. Not a vast difference mind you, but still.

I think the thing that made the biggest difference for us, is when we had ranged prioritize small adds, and melee prioritize the big adds. Seemed to become a world easier once we started doing it that way.

It's less about being worried on DPS and more "oh look, they made it to the outside edge" became "oh look, it died already." Phase was never really about beating a tight check but just how much spare time you have.

We have 2x casters so it was basically just Makoto getting to nuke one to nothing and I had everything else slowed. So the only big target-planning we had was nobody really did much with Makoto's target and I'd prioritize the things that got low. Now I just slow all the things and wonder why I bother when things die before Miasma finishes.

Top Bottom