• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

He said February so it will be Feb 29th. No way Yoship doesn't take advantage of that extra day.

3.2 to come February 29th. Midas Normal and Midas Savage coming in 3.25 in March, to give us all time to work through the patch content at a leisurely pace.

A3S mechanics are as hard as your group makes them. Everyone being i209 makes the damage less scary and the DPS requirement less strict, so mechanics are all it has left and failing them is less of a deal than it used to be.

Yea, I definitely agree with this. Once you and people know the fight and have a clear, it's just then how well do people really know the fight and can execute. You can actually start to see people who really didn't know what they were doing on some parts of that fight...

...let me tell you about people who still do charge tethers wrong and give me atrophy at the worst possible time ... after we were spread out already and for some inexplicable reason they decided to "adjust" by moving closer for...reasons. Then they get cleaved with atrophy so gg.

Does anybody even need to say those two words when one can make an inference from the queue times and quality of players for PvP and Void Ark, or the amount of groups inside a Diadem hard instance?

All the good Ultros (and Primal in general) PVPers are leaving for Gilgamesh/Aether to form Feast Statics. Not joking. There's a PVP recruitment site now setup, people are getting pretty serious about it.

This is the heart of what made A3S the thing the static-killer it became and possibly why people feel it was overtuned--it was tuned high enough that you couldn't gear up to the point of that really being a viable option.

But, yeah, it also seems like we agree that the fight is basically as hard as your group makes it.

I still think A3S is the overall most challenging fight of the bunch, having now seen A4S up to dolls post-first pentacle. However, who you run with greatly affects your perception. Ignoring the fact we're all mostly doing it wrong (ie sac method) and we're now in much better gear, I feel like A4S is not really that over-tuned. Again, in earlier progression gear, was probably a much different story. It's a boring ass fight until Leg 4, and I hate the mp shit a lot because that's probably the worst thing you could do to me mechanics wise other than amplifying the healing range penalty in Leviathan EX when using certain healing skills on the OT/Tank with hate on the tail. But as long as you're making steady progress and seeing something new each lockout...it's really not that bad. Also helps when 5/8 people had been in A4S for several months (up to 4th leg) before the other two members and I ever stepped foot into the fight.

Too good.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehc8zzaBB_4

How Titan EX would play out in single player 2D game...for real this time.

iammeiam

I still think A3S is the overall most challenging fight of the bunch, having now seen A4S up to dolls post-first pentacle. However, who you run with greatly affects your perception. Ignoring the fact we're all mostly doing it wrong (ie sac method) and we're now in much better gear, I feel like A4S is not really that over-tuned. Again, in earlier progression gear, was probably a much different story.

I don't think you can ignore gear when talking about overtuned, though. I think I've been pretty consistent in my views on fights, and I've always felt 4 was the most overtuned specifically because of how easy it bends to gear. Weapons especially--I've tried to explain but never really gotten the nuance of the gigantic difference Thordan weapons made for us there. We spent forever busting ass to get the four legs to die in under 7 minutes with i200 weapons. When we finally got that milestone, each pull felt like insane work because we're not exactly world first China i190 tier players and it was basically all of us pushing as hard as we could every pull.

Then the first week with Thordan weapons was a constantly escalating state of laughter as we realized how much easier everything had magically gotten and how much faster everything went. Big mistakes no longer meant problems for the pull. The fight as DPS check became a more minor concern behind "can we manage to not fuck up the fight until this thing runs out of HP?" The answer to which ended up being no, but Thordan weapons carried hard enough to make up for it.

Which is why I stick with A4S being overtuned--its difficulty relative to the gear you could get in 3.07 was higher than it should have been (especially when considering the fight they intended us to do), IMO and if you throw more gear at it the difficulty decreases rapidly.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CZ7af4HXEAAowXp.jpg

Yes

Yes

Yes.

Squishy3

I'm actually glad they're lowering the difficulty of raids with Midas.

Going casual in 3.2 so it all works out.

\o/
Midas will still be easy, they're lowering the difficulty of Savage Midas compared to this current wing. Normal Alexander was a cakewalk even at i180.

WolvenOne

If PVP players are leaving Primal to form Feast Statics, that'd explain why I had a much better win ratio last week. Flames tends to be the most populous Grand Company to begin with, thus the short queues. So it wouldn't take a dramatic reduction in skilled players to have a real noticeable effect on things. <_<;;

BadRNG

I will find both of you!!
What are you going to do? Kill me? I'm already dead.

Like this game.

I still think A3S is the overall most challenging fight of the bunch, having now seen A4S up to dolls post-first pentacle. However, who you run with greatly affects your perception. Ignoring the fact we're all mostly doing it wrong (ie sac method) and we're now in much better gear, I feel like A4S is not really that over-tuned. Again, in earlier progression gear, was probably a much different story. It's a boring ass fight until Leg 4, and I hate the mp shit a lot because that's probably the worst thing you could do to me mechanics wise other than amplifying the healing range penalty in Leviathan EX when using certain healing skills on the OT/Tank with hate on the tail. But as long as you're making steady progress and seeing something new each lockout...it's really not that bad. Also helps when 5/8 people had been in A4S for several months (up to 4th leg) before the other two members and I ever stepped foot into the fight.
When you say most challenging, do you mean to learn or to actually kill/execute? If it's former then I might agree, AS4 is simple mechanically, but if latter I don't see how AS3 is anywhere near more challenging simple because of how things are tuned. It's partially due to gear, but you can make an insane amount of mistakes in AS3 and still recover. AS4 is a lot more brutal, even in current overgear state, the damage going out is just way above anything in AS3 and the DPS checks are still tight enough that a death or two can really mess you up. And yes having a group that is already heavily used to half the fight surely helps, that goes for pretty much any fight, even half a group already having the fight (or parts of the fight) effectively on farm speeds up everything significantly.

Squishy3

Well, did join a Thordan learning party. That was fun, even if we didn't make it past the two knights. (lag was messing up Holmgang activation plus it was that Warrior's first time ever tanking it and Holy Bladedance in Thordan EX is fucking terrifying) and we were messing up Dragoon Jumps. (I haven't run Thordan since the week 3.1 hit!)

But hey, no vitriol whatsoever. It's like it was an actual learning party or something

Squishy3

Well that was fun. Friend invited me to his Thordan party. Literally flying by the seat of my pants as we one cycle knights and trying to remember mechanics past meteors as they happen. "OH SHIT OH SHIT IT'S SPEAR WHAT DO I DO I GET IN A LINE"

and then we die anyway because thordan ground the tank under his boot super hard

Ken

Midas Normal delayed.
Midas Savage delayed-er.
New materia system is bad.
Training hall is useless.
Paladin changes are nowhere.
New tome gear will have skirts.
New plushies on sale.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I wonder if they're gonna make HA weapons crafted as well. I'm 8/14 on them including the shield, and I guess T9 is the easiest to convince people to do, but damn, imagine those babies in blue.

Will 3.2 bring life into endgame? or will it be another 3.0 where players that didn’t like pvp were found in the instance for tomestones because ironically they knew that PVE endgame was shit?

giphy.gif

Well that's what happens when the tank community can't even help a new player without arguing over STR vs VIT.

stay_mad.jpg

looking forward to the shitstorm on the OF and reddit

BadRNG

Well that's what happens when the tank community can't even help a new player without arguing over STR vs VIT.
It's also what happens when they poorly design classes! There is no reason tanks best gear should involve stuff they either can't roll on or must craft.

also lol at saying PLD changes and then essentially "please look forward to it" rather than details.

edit at your edit - What shitstorm would there even be, ever since they said changes were coming this was the most popular theory/desire. It makes the most sense.

Eldren

stay_mad.jpg

looking forward to the shitstorm on the OF and reddit

OF will be fine because "tanks shouldn't be DPSing anyway!" but reddit will implode.

AST card changes, PLD & MCH DPS changes but please look forward to more information.

I need that Vath mount.

BadRNG

Where are my bard buffs?!
I thought BRDs were balanced now, just not fun? What buffs did they need. I know MCH was a bit behind BRD in some scenarios (and apparently they will scale a lot worse with gear?) so I'm not surprised they getting buffs.

WolvenOne

Might be fun, but I'm not really big on death matches. Wanna see if these rules really result in more strategy then just, (Hit the other guy hard.)

Top Bottom