• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

Honestly the only real valid tank complaint at this point is being stuck with Parry on accessories going forward because Parry remains a horrible stat. That and having to beg for carboncoats this late in the cycle since Eso fending accessories are now a thing. Have to wait to see how the math works out to see if this has any real impact on tank DPS.

This isn't just quality of life, this would be a DPS buff because with that extra time, it would become possible to use procs again which right now is not an option depending on which enochain rotation you are in.

It'll be interesting to see if this does away with most of the Enochian complaints or not; it seems to be a fairly big deal.

Summoner going to end up back in the corner, neglected and unloved.

Sorian

Banned
Honestly the only real valid tank complaint at this point is being stuck with Parry on accessories going forward because Parry remains a horrible stat. That and having to beg for carboncoats this late in the cycle since Eso fending accessories are now a thing. Have to wait to see how the math works out to see if this has any real impact on tank DPS.

It'll be interesting to see if this does away with most of the Enochian complaints or not; it seems to be a fairly big deal.

Fire (and ice I assume) refreshing on cast instead of on hit is huge in it's own right. That would mean we could sit in umbral ice III stance easily during that pause in A3S when it turns into a tornado and adds take forever to show up, as an example.

Edit: And yeah, enochain was already an easy timer to handle 95% of the time if you knew what you were doing so that extra two seconds on astral fire and it refreshing faster will make the tight timing in that other 5% near non-existant.

People will still complain though.

So ive just reached level 25 and the game is really starting to feel like a grind.
Talk to person > go kill things > talk to person, repeat.
Any ideas on how i can mix things up a little?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So via Reddit, it looks like the BLM QoL stuff may be further-reaching than just the 12 second UI/AF timer.

AF Stacks appear to refresh at the end of the cast, as opposed to when the spell hits the target. This plus the 12 second stack timers seem like some huge changes for to loosen up BLM stuff while under Enochian.

The BLM fixes they're not even hyping up are giving me more hope than anything else in the LL; if these are the 'minor' fixes not worth mentioning, hopefully the AST/PLD/MCH changes they did bring up are even bigger.
:O

The Astral/Umbral time I knew about. The refresh on cast would be a very cool change.

Hoping they actually include these and they're not just some sort of dev only testing stuff.
D:

dramatis

So ive just reached level 25 and the game is really starting to feel like a grind.
Fates, side quests, leves, hunting log, challenge log, dungeons, daily roulette. Map completion can probably net you a bit of exp too.

If you're feeling up to side activities that aren't related to increasing your combat class level, there is crafting, gathering, fishing, Gold Saucer (which is a variable bag of activities by itself), sightseeing log. If you're feeling clever, you can try to game the market with your pool of money.

If you want to try out other classes, you can do so now, it won't contribute to your main class level however.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
For all we know STR could still be a good tank stat.
Until we actually see how each affects the damage output whining about it is rather pointless.

But oh well, OF.

Sorian

Banned
For all we know STR could still be a good tank stat.
Until we actually see how each affects the damage output whining about it is rather pointless.

But oh well, OF.

OF is vile garbage but why would anyone want STR to be a good tank stat? The whole issue was that they had to divide their gear for no reason, now they can just go vit because it would be better, done.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
OF is vile garbage but why would anyone want STR to be a good tank stat? The whole issue was that they had to divide their gear for no reason, now they can just go vit because it would be better, done.

It's Yoshida, they'll find a way to screw up.
STR will still factor into damage somehow instead of it just being VIT.
So they could end up doing something weird with calculations.

iammeiam

I think the expectation is that STR will still be a good stat for tanks, just slightly worse than VIT. Like .75 VIT = 1 STR or something. So tanks will still meld STR to the guaranteed slot on their accessories, but shouldn't be trying to compete for Slaying gear anymore.

All they have to do to fuck it up is make STR too close to VIT so that Crit/Det Slaying accessories outweigh ACC/Parry Fending ones.

This really does seem like the type of change you'd expect alongside an expansion, given that it's a reaction to things that have been around forever.

scy

I think ideally it'll be something like 1 VIT + 1 STR = current 1 STR. This way they can get current all VIT to be close enough to existing all STR builds, make it scale not as quickly, and make it so that VIT > STR for all options.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
so i get in trial roulette and find this
gLdRfFc.png
Had this yesterday:

52vYPEH.png
eDSvzLT.png

WolvenOne

So, I know Hildibrand is supposed to return in 3.2. Kinda curious whether it's going to be a mere cameo, a whole new quest, or if the Scholasticate Quests are going to morph into the new Hildibrand quests.

The later would kinda make sense. Since what's his name Elezen Detective is already there.

Sorian

Banned
So, I know Hildibrand is supposed to return in 3.2. Kinda curious whether it's going to be a mere cameo, a whole new quest, or if the Scholasticate Quests are going to morph into the new Hildibrand quests.

The later would kinda make sense. Since what's his name Elezen Detective is already there.

Did anyone not think the bolded was the case? It seemed pretty obvious that was the direction they were heading.

Squishy3

Did anyone not think the bolded was the case? It seemed pretty obvious that was the direction they were heading.
Not to mention you needed to have completed Hildibrand to start them.

3.15 patch notes said:
Quest Required Level and Location
Contradicting Convictions Disciple of War or Magic level 60
The Pillars (X:6 Y:9)
NPC: Mathye
Players must first complete the main scenario quest “Heavensward” and the side story quests “Her Last Vow,” and “Keeping the Ledger.”

studyguy

I wonder what they'll do with PLD.
I have my ideas, but I fully expect nothing.

For all we know we'll get oaths off GCD, but now costing a full 1/3rd of your MP for whatever reason to limit dancing and clemency only getting a reduced cast time with lower potency or something dumb.

w/e just throw me a bone already SE

Leves, Guildhests, dungeons, could break the monotony. I've actually found early dungeons are great for exp... if the party is good.

Fates are a mixed bag, because at low levels hardly people do them unless the can safely solo with a chocobo.

Game is truly ded now. My entire FC is playing Blade and Soul.

I keep hearing Blade and Soul get passed around in my linkshell, other game they're getting into is FF explorers. Guess I should go back to Fallout 4 because my FC is practically dead as well.

WolvenOne

On the subject of Vit pots.

Unless the translation I've heard is wrong, or it's simply making presumptions, Vit is going to be slightly more heavily weighted then Str for tanks. Regardless, neither Vit nor Str will be as heavily weighted as STR was before. So while both Vit and Str pots will result in a DPS increase, it won't be as dramatic as Str Pots were before this change.

That said, Vit pots will still get you some extra health for awhile in addition to the potency increase, so they'll be a better value.

WolvenOne

I wonder what they'll do with PLD.
I have my ideas, but I fully expect nothing.

For all we know we'll get oaths off GCD, but now costing a full 1/3rd of your MP for whatever reason to limit dancing and clemency only getting a reduced cast time with lower potency or something dumb.

w/e just throw me a bone already SE

Well I don't speak Japanese of course, but during the part where they were talking about PLD changes Clemency was mentioned.

scy

Don't think anybody was saying otherwise for VIT pots. Was more about whether or not there will be a timing thing to worry about with pre-healing a VIT pot use to eat a tankbuster. It's basically a partial Adlo worth of VIT tacked on.

WolvenOne

Don't think anybody was saying otherwise for VIT pots. Was more about whether or not there will be a timing thing to worry about with pre-healing a VIT pot use to eat a tankbuster. It's basically a partial Adlo worth of VIT tacked on.

I've used Vit Pot's once or twice, sadly unlike thrill of battle your HP doesn't automatically scale with the new total. So tanks will need a heal to reach max health after using a Vit pot.

I doubt they'd lower the potency of Clemency considering how much MP it costs relative to the amount of MP paladins have

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Clemency impossible to cast as a main tank, since any damage interrupts it? I mean clearly it was initially meant to be a off-tank ability, but given that Warriors will always be the most desired off-tank it's kinda useless for paladins right now. I would think making it uninterruptible would be a great addition for Paladins.

studyguy

Casting Clemency as an MT is basically knowing what attacks won't interrupt. Which depending on the endgame raid could be none depending on the phase. It's stupid as shit.

iammeiam

I've been playing The Witness and then logging in to FFXIV for something mindless every time Witness makes me feel dumb.

In completely unrelated news, I've been logging on a lot this past week and will probably actually have my gatherers at 60 soon.

Mazes & Tetris > Cheesecake MMO.

Sorian

Banned
I've been playing The Witness and then logging in to FFXIV for something mindless every time Witness makes me feel dumb.

In completely unrelated news, I've been logging on a lot this past week and will probably actually have my gatherers at 60 soon.

Mazes & Tetris > Cheesecake MMO.

Sounds like related news to me :p

Jayhawk

Somebody write a Batman-like 3.2 preparation guide for me to relay to others, since I am too lazy to write one. I'll just start logging on again and doing crafting/gathering things.

scy

I've used Vit Pot's once or twice, sadly unlike thrill of battle your HP doesn't automatically scale with the new total. So tanks will need a heal to reach max health after using a Vit pot.

Hence why I said it needs to be pre-healed.

Tetris is hard okay

WolvenOne

Nothing wrong with playing other games on the side when there's a lull in content and you need a FFXIV breather. I mean, I'm playing Undertale on the side at the moment, it's a nice way to come down after spending a few hours herding cats. I mean, playing PVP.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So is the absolutely no way to get the Lightning outfit/hairstyle anymore? I know I missed it a couple years ago, but I still wants it!(At least just the hair)

WolvenOne

So the Anima weapons don't require the Zeta to be done? (I took a few months off) Is it even worth doing the Anima quest if you don't raid?

It's something to do, and gives you reason to do a lot of content that you otherwise probably wouldn't do. Unless you like doing content for the lols, in which case you don't really need it. XD

iammeiam

So is the absolutely no way to get the Lightning outfit/hairstyle anymore? I know I missed it a couple years ago, but I still wants it!(At least just the hair)

It's been confirmed to be added to the cash shop at some point in the future. No date, but you will eventually be able to buy it.

So the Anima weapons don't require the Zeta to be done? (I took a few months off) Is it even worth doing the Anima quest if you don't raid?

Anima quest is totally separate; Zeta lets you skip an easy step. Relic quests are generally there as a time sink/way to have weapon progression without raiding. It's basically only worth doing for the sake of doing it; it'll generally lag behind raid weapons until the end of a content tier (that's why we got it so late--they didn't want i210 relics available 'too soon') but can be a nice late boost to damage for raiders trying to get over a block.

It's as worth doing if you don't raid as any of the gearing up to i210 is, and as unnecessary as gearing up to full i210 is. Do it if you want, don't if you don't. Raiding doesn't impact it much.

Top Bottom