• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Sorian

Banned
I will demand concessions when everything turns out exactly as I think it would.

Do we expect the same thing? Because it's going to be 220 for normal, 230 for lore gear, 240 for savage.

Maybe, maybe 215 for normal, 220 for lore, 230 for savage.

Valor

Do we expect the same thing? Because it's going to be 220 for normal, 230 for lore gear, 240 for savage.

Maybe, maybe 215 for normal, 220 for lore, 230 for savage.

This is pretty much where I've now landed. I don't really like it, but one of these will be the eventuality of the gear. Sephirot will likely fall in line with whatever Midas normal ends up as.

WolvenOne

In response to their recent statements that they don't design fights with Healer/Tank DPS in mind.

Well, they way they worded that makes it pretty clear they they're talking about end-game content in general, not Alex Savage specifically. I mean the statement was, "we calculate zero damage for tanks and healers, or the damage a tank would put out doing their basic enmity rotation." Ignoring the fact that off tanks aren't going to be using the basic enmity rotation in eight man content, it seems really unlikely that hard-core content is designed this way. This sounds more appropriate for dungeons where tanks far more often are only going to do the basic enmity rotation, and where healers really don't need to DPS at all to have a solid expectation of clearing without a fuss. So as a whole it's hard for me to take this statement too seriously.

Now that said, yeah the fact that they didn't carefully test Alex Savage does mean that we cannot assume the strategies people adopted and such were intentional. It's very much possible that they simply tuned the fights higher then they intended, and that healers and tanks needing to maximize DPS to clear wasn't intentional.

I mean, that seems a bit unlikely to me, but its very plausible.

PS: Having an odd numbered llvl line of armor, (215,) seems a bit unlikely to me unless it's crafted. I'm personally guessing, "220 for Alex Normal and the new Diadem max ilvl gear (They stated in the December ilvl that Diadem gear wouldn't be max ilvl, but would be suitable for starting the next raid.) Crafted gear will be either 215 or 220, I'm leaning towards 220 just because the devs seem reluctant to use odd numbered gear too often during the end-game. Base tome gear will be 230, upgradeable to 240.

Another reason I'm leaning towards crafted being 220. With secondaries being nerfed in 3.0, melding crafted gear isn't going to have as dramatic of an effect as before in 2.X. So now 215 gear would really only be about the equivalent of 220 after melding. If I'm right about Alex Normal and Diadem dropping 220 gear, that would make the crafted gear practically useless.

Allard

In my opinion based on the fact that they said it was going to be ilvl 30 gap for each cycle.

200: New Dungeon Gear
220: Alexander Midas Normal
225:Sephirot Extreme Weapon
230: Lore/Crafted gear
240: Midas Savage Armor, Upgraded weapon/armor for Lore
245: Midas Savage Weapon

215: New Dungeon Gear
230: Alliance Raid gear
235: Zurvan Weapons (People forget we are going to get another trial in the middle of this gear cycle, Sephirot will not be super high level because of that)
235: Diadem 2.0 (they said decreasing ilvl by 5 for next set so they can make it more plentiful and not completely replacing lore/savage gear)

The only thing not obvious is dungeon gear ilvl and crafted gear ilvl and the pace of the anima weapon upgrade path, the other stuff clearly is set in pattern they have talked about in the past.

It's kind of insane how rapidly ilvl inflation has happened in this game considering it's only like two years old.

Got nothing on old school WoW jumps, ilvl is arbitrary, what needs to be calculated is just how much stronger ilvl makes you compared to previous ilvls. Its just a number for calculation otherwise. Compared to other games that have a vertical model these jumps are simple in contrast.

iammeiam

Well, they way they worded that makes it pretty clear they they're talking about end-game content in general, not Alex Savage specifically. I mean, according to that statement, "we calculate zero damage for tanks and healers, or the damage a tank would put out doing their basic enmity rotation."

There's basically no way to read this interview and not think they mean Savage:
Let's get right into it - we've seen many posts from readers relating to end-game content. When you go through development, how do you decide how to set the difficulty? For example, the amount of DPS required for each particular content.

Yoshida: When we make battle content, first we determine a minimum assumed item level required to clear. Then, we determine the total amount of party damage required to clear, taking a minimal amount of damage from tanks and healers into account during this calculation.

What do you mean by minimal?

Yoshida: Basically it's the damage from tank auto-attacks and the basic skill rotation used in order to maintain hate. We add this to the party damage needed. However, we often use zero in the calculation for damage required from healers. In other words, we only take into account the amount of damage necessary to perform as a tank or a healer and we don't take them into account as actively participating in attacking. For the clear assumption on DPS, we calculate the 100% value for the item level and we reduce that by 10 to 15 percent for the amount required to clear.

But it's often actually the case that healers do participate in attacking.

Yoshida: Well, the calculations are based on the item level assumed during development.

Ah, and that's different from the minimum item level required to try the content.

Yoshida: Yes. So if you try to clear it at a lower item level, it will be necessary for tanks and healers to participate in attacking. The difference in skill levels for DPS players will be a factor. If you're below the 85 to 90 percent damage assumption, you'll have to fill in the gap with DPS from tanks and healers. If the DPS work together and think about total party damage, it may also help to break through.

So healers may need to participate in the attack if there wouldn't otherwise be enough. Well, even if there is, healers may also attack just to provide a margin.

Yoshida: Yeah. Especially in Savage because it is difficult to deal damage while handling the mechanics I think there is some opportunity there

Nothing else in the game, including EX Primals, requires anything approaching 85% of potential performance on DPS at appropriate gear levels.

Now that said, yeah the fact that they didn't carefully test Alex Savage does mean that we cannot assume the strategies people adopted and such were intentional. It's very much possible that they simply tuned the fights higher then they intended, and that healers and tanks needing to maximize DPS to clear wasn't intentional.

I mean, that seems a bit unlikely to me, but its very plausible.

A4S at release was straight up broken using any kind of tuning they've claimed to use and the Nisi strat. Like, there's a sad level of sense in the reveal that they didn't test the back half of Savage, because the fights we got don't align with the things they outline when people directly ask them about Savage.

scy

Given current max dps metas and just general game history, I am surprised more people don't not-switch. Seems like every time there is a debuff fight the first instinct is to see how far you can push it, wonder why not here. DRK cooldowns in particular are so perfect for that fight as no swap MT, can have something up for every thing and just dps nearly full time. I don't know what voodoo stuff Rin does with the dolls, but way back when we'd get extra dolls or even quarantine's he seemed to survive most of the time I thought.

Best as I can tell, the tank swap thing became more prevalent as more and more groups got there? The initial wave of them did it as an option (or just the WAR open for threat purposes) but after that it became a "you have to!" situation. Only one that makes sense to me is MT has Boss+Straf, OT has a Jagd Doll? That setup does mean you want to swap but all others aren't worth it best I can tell.

As for Quarantine, the only lethal hit is the 8th stack one so I can just Holmgang it. Since I'm bad and let my DPS tank the first GCD, I can usually get to that last doll at 4-5 stacks and not even worry about the bad hit most of the time!

Nothing else in the game, including EX Primals, requires anything approaching 85% of potential performance on DPS at appropriate gear levels.

I do wonder what they put 100% DPS at. Are we all just scrubs and can't hit 1800 DPS that they're benchmarking with.

Sorian

Banned
There's basically no way to read this interview and not think they mean Savage:

A4S at release was straight up broken using any kind of tuning they've claimed to use and the Nisi strat. Like, there's a sad level of sense in the reveal that they didn't test the back half of Savage, because the fights we got don't align with the things they outline when people directly ask them about Savage.

Alex savage was meant to be cleared at ilvl 230 obviously :p

aceface

Man, 30 ilevel gap is really going to kill the usefulness of relic quickly. Why did I grind that thing again?

Anyways with a 30ilevel raise, I'm guessing sephirot ex will be i220, eso i230 upgradable to i240, Midas wep i245.

The only question is will the eso weapon be locked behind a Midas 2 drop. I guess they did that to encourage people to do relics in the past? With next relic step coming out quicker (think they said 3.25) Id guess it will be locked behind Midas until 3.3 when they'll put the item in void ark successor.

Ken

Day 1 of 3.2, WolvenOne queues up to do their weekly A4S clear.

"One or more party members are new to this duty. A bonus will be awarded for swift completion of objectives."

Sorian

Banned

"One or more party members are new to this duty. A bonus will be awarded for swift completion of objectives."

himZD0M.gif

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The relic was always set to be useless. I enjoyed the wiggling Yoshida had to do the previous live letter when explaining how it's not a massive time waste.

iammeiam

Alex savage was meant to be cleared at ilvl 230 obviously :p

I have actually wondered if they wanted it restricted to world-first groups until 3.1 and Thordan. A3S DPS check works of to about 6k raid DPS sustained over like 12 minutes and 40 seconds if my math is right. Again depending on my math skills, A4S Nisi is about 6.6k raid DPS over 13 minutes and 10 seconds depending on if you get the bonus Carnage or not. That's a pretty massive jump in expected DPS when there were 0 weapon upgrades available between 3 and 4. Especially if you're expecting the bulk of the increase to come from the 4 DPS since the healers are busy despising Nisi, life, the universe, and everything.

Or my math is shit. But I really do not understand how A4S makes sense like... Ever.

WolvenOne

Sigh, wai you gotta be like that.

And yes, the Relic needed to be added waaaaaaaaay earlier. 210 is fine, and the grind isn't, DRAMATICALLY off, but the timing was horrible.

Ken

W-who wants to do the Valentine's Day event with me cause my future EB isn't playing at the moment. (´・ω・`)

Valor

225:Sephirot Extreme Weapon
230: Crafted gear
245: Midas Savage Weapon
235: Zurvan Weapons
I would be surprised if any of this came to pass.
And yes, the Relic needed to be added waaaaaaaaay earlier. 210 is fine, and the grind isn't, DRAMATICALLY off, but the timing was horrible.
I still argue the grind is still pretty off and people grinded that garbage out for it to be quickly replaced by the next EX Primal drop in a few weeks. At least people were able to get their A4S clears with the weapons before they became totally useless.

Your future EB isn't ever going to be your EB tho

You are forever alone
Speaking of future EBs, who are you doing the Valentine's quest with?

The relic was always set to be useless. I enjoyed the wiggling Yoshida had to do the previous live letter when explaining how it's not a massive time waste.

At the moment my relic isn't useless. So I wouldn't say always. Once it drops back to 5 ilvls below the raid drop, and upgrade patches for it are staggered behind when you could reasonably get the tomestone weapon + upgrade mat, it will be less useful. I mean, I guess it depends on how quickly you get that next Gordian weapon vs when you can get the next upgrade to your relic. If you don't get it by the time you can upgrade your relic to 230, and your relic will have better secondary stats than your Lore weapon, then relic will be appealing again. When it comes to WHM weapon, the relic has always looked aesthetically superior to any of the raid weapons, so I will keep on with each upgrade patch.

iammeiam

I don't really think there's much debate over if Anima was too grindy. PLL26:

Had we made the item level of the weapons from The Burden of the Father (Savage) 215, we could have possibly reduced the time it takes make an item level 210 Anima weapon.

In regards to everyone’s concerns about the lifespan of Anima weapons, we will be making adjustments in Patch 3.2, and there will be updates to Anima weapons in Patch 3.25 and Patch 3.3.

Point blank Anima weapon is only as grindy as it is to 'earn' raid weapon iLevel equivalence, and if the dev team wasn't obsessed with needing to keep the raid weapons special Anima would suck less.

It's mostly disappointing in that I really thought i210 Gordias weapons was a sign they'd moved on from needing to inflate raider ego via iLevel exclusivity, when really it was just them forgetting how they wanted their own game to work.

scy

Sigh, wai you gotta be like that.

Your weird need to state that the grind is okay and perfectly fine is ... well, weird. It's okay that it's a bad grind. Doing it casually over the course of nearly two months doesn't somehow make it good or well designed.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Okay well I concede the point of it being useful now, though frankly if I stuck with the Thordan thing it wouldn't really matter, we clear with 205 anyway.

Sephirot weapons will definitely be over 210 which instantly makes them better on the account of WD. So day 1 of 3.2 it's gonna be outdated unless you get some terrible deal on secondaries (but MCH isn't gonna worry about that).

Aesthetics I suppose is a matter of preference. Majestas is pretty cool. Gandiva is tacky but it grew on me. Most others aren't special or just outright awful. There's plenty of better looking weapons... in Aery, in T9... Some in PVP, some in Ravana. Eh.

They didn't even imply that there will be a customizing stats phase!

Sorian

Banned
Okay well I concede the point of it being useful now, though frankly if I stuck with the Thordan thing it wouldn't really matter, we clear with 205 anyway.

Sephirot weapons will definitely be over 210 which instantly makes them better on the account of WD. So day 1 of 3.2 it's gonna be outdated unless you get some terrible deal on secondaries (but MCH isn't gonna worry about that).

Aesthetics I suppose is a matter of preference. Majestas is pretty cool. Gandiva is tacky but it grew on me. Most others aren't special or just outright awful. There's plenty of better looking weapons... in Aery, in T9... Some in PVP, some in Ravana. Eh.

They didn't even imply that there will be a customizing stats phase!

Unless Sephirot is only ilvl 215 and then we can laugh at BRDs and MCHs.

iammeiam

Nah, for Reasons we got 1 WD from 200->205 and 0 WD from 205->210, so we'll get one from 210->215.

I will laugh if tome weapons are somehow 220 and not a WD over 215 though.

scy

Is it even possible to have a "well designed" grind?

a grind is a grind and nobody likes grinding right?

That's the thing, it's still a grind in the end so it comes down to how much you personally enjoy the amount of stuff it asks you to do. I don't mind mindless buttons so I still enjoy Diablo 3 grinding whenever I get in the mood for it. I don't particularly think that grind itself is well designed or anything like that, I can respect it's still a grind despite having fun with it. I grinded ARR relics because means to an end and because most the content was new-ish to me then. I still recognized it was a pretty terrible grind.

Basically, how annoying the grind is will vary so the blanket "you're doing it wrong, it's really good and okay and not at all a grind" just strikes me as weird. It's okay for it to be a grind and for you to want to do it.

grats on your SSPD i215 weapon to make the Tome weapon look better

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Unless Sephirot is only ilvl 215 and then we can laugh at BRDs and MCHs.

Gonna have to be +1 anyway. And most 210 MCH weapons are awful. The only one that's better than Heavensfire is Gordian which is... A4! Personally I won't even have enough pages before the patch to buy it.

WolvenOne

Your weird need to state that the grind is okay and perfectly fine is ... well, weird. It's okay that it's a bad grind. Doing it casually over the course of nearly two months doesn't somehow make it good or well designed.

It was a little too big, especially coming that late in the raid cycle. What they're asking people to do in terms of activities wasn't unreasonable, but it probably should've been 60 tokens rather then 80.

Eighty might have been acceptable had they released this grind back in 3.0. The people that wanted to do it casually wouldn't have felt as big of a rush, and people that wanted to plow through it would've been rewarded with a weapon that was fully relevant longer. Waiting so long, and making the grind as large as it was, was pretty much the worst option.

Again, what they're asking people to do in terms of activities isn't unreasonable, but the combination of timing and the grind being just a bit too big made it more poorly received then it would've been otherwise.

Sorian

Banned
Nah, for Reasons we got 1 WD from 200->205 and 0 WD from 205->210, so we'll get one from 210->215.

Gonna have to be +1 anyway. And most 210 MCH weapons are awful. The only one that's better than Heavensfire is Gordian which is... A4! Personally I won't even have enough pages before the patch to buy it.

Let's be real, they can do whatever they please and stay within the rules there. 210 -> 215 could be 0 WD and 215 -> 220 could be the 1 WD and no one will care about the BRD/MCH whining.

iammeiam

But the timing + volume is the bulk of the complaint. That they essentially rehashed a bunch of relic stages, but grindier, and then released it at the point in the content cycle where people were recently-sick of stuff was just a perfect storm of Bad Idea. It was too much, too late, for too little (or, for MCH, no) reward.

I'll probably end up picking up a ton of relic items in 3.2 as a side effect of just doing the new tome grind. And it sounds like they'll nerf Anima relatively quickly. It was still a poorly planned step.

grats on your SSPD i215 weapon to make the Tome weapon look better

It'll be great in my pipe dream world where Turrets scale awesome with SSPD. In my reality where MCH buffs are just like... 2 potency on Split Shot tho it'll be less great.

scy

Eighty might have been acceptable had they released this grind back in 3.0.

I guess the weird thing is that's the entirety of the complaint? It's a lot of stuff to do at a bad time in the patch cycle. If it was alongside the early parts of the expansion, especially with the i170, i200 steps, then it could have been a weapon that was relevant at specific notable spots from 3.0 to now and the grind could have been fewer total items but with other ways to artificially gate it if they really cared about it being done too early real time wise. Then when they want to nerf it, just remove whatever gates were in place and it paces better.

Instead we basically just got "go do a lot of chores."

BadRNG

W-who wants to do the Valentine's Day event with me cause my future EB isn't playing at the moment. (´・ω・`)
Just ask in FC chat, quick and painless. I had a spooky ghost help me with mine, which made the cutscenes bout 1000x better.

Again, what they're asking people to do in terms of activities isn't unreasonable, but the combination of timing and the grind being just a bit too big made it more poorly received then it would've been otherwise.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

WolvenOne

I will say this, 3.0/3.1, would've been the perfect time to break out the Relic Reborn blueprint again. A small grind, (lets say 20-30 tokens in size,) and a few moderately difficult trials, would've worked really well, even late in the raid cycle.

To be fair, yes a lot of people were road blocked by Titan HM back in 2.0. However they overlearned their lesson from this. Biggest problem with titan was laggy instances (somewhat fixed in 2.1,) and the ring out mechanic. So long as a new set of trials don't have a ring-out mechanic, most players would've muddled through.

That said, it's possible they didn't have the budgets to make two additional new trials for 3.1 or whatnot. Still, it probably would have been better received.

I guess the weird thing is that's the entirety of the complaint? It's a lot of stuff to do at a bad time in the patch cycle. If it was alongside the early parts of the expansion, especially with the i170, i200 steps, then it could have been a weapon that was relevant at specific notable spots from 3.0 to now and the grind could have been fewer total items but with other ways to artificially gate it if they really cared about it being done too early real time wise. Then when they want to nerf it, just remove whatever gates were in place and it paces better.

Instead we basically just got "go do a lot of chores."

Yes, the total amount you had to do to get a 210 weapon wasn't unreasonable, but the timing and pacing was horribly thought out. Had they released it earlier, spread out the grind a bit more evenly, and merely held out the last step to get the 210 weapon until 3.15, it would've been a different story.

Something that they need to learn for these grinds, intermediary steps/weapons are a very good thing!

Ken

Wow I'm so glad all the 3.x Primals so far don't have ring out mechanics.

Anima was probably held in its entirety just to make patch 3.15 look beefier, honestly. The i170 animated weapons kind of suggest, at least to me, that it was meant to be there with you at the start of 3.0.

WolvenOne

Wow I'm so glad all the 3.x Primals so far don't have ring out mechanics.

Not to the same extent at Titan at least. Ravana has a gate that'll prevent you from getting knocked off too easily, and Bismark has maybe two mechanics I can think of that have a decent chance of ringing someone out, one of which is merely standing on him too long, which is easily avoided after you become aware of it. Finally Thordon doesn't have a ring out mechanic, he just has a damage tick wall.

Nothing compared to Titan, where even very miner lag could result in you being sent flying off in bizarre directions.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I've seen people falling off in Bismarck to an add's line AOE. Because standing by the edge while getting stunned is clearly the safest place to be!

WolvenOne

I've seen people falling off in Bismarck to an add's line AOE. Because standing by the edge while getting stunned is clearly the safest place to be!

I thought that the add pushback AoE was only a NM thing? I've seen a ton of people get sent flying by that in NM, but I don't remember anyone getting sent flying by adds in the extreme version.

Now, that blasted weather pattern mechanic on the other hand.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I thought that the add pushback AoE was only a NM thing? I've seen a ton of people get sent flying by that in NM, but I don't remember anyone getting sent flying by adds in the extreme version.

Now, that blasted weather pattern mechanic on the other hand.

Yeah, you get pushed back. Why would they remove that in Extreme?

Ken

Not to the same extent at Titan at least. Ravana has a gate that'll prevent you from getting knocked off too easily, and Bismark has maybe two mechanics I can think of that have a decent chance of ringing someone out, one of which is merely standing on him too long, which is easily avoided after you become aware of it. Finally Thordon doesn't have a ring out mechanic, he just has a damage tick wall.

Nothing compared to Titan, where even very miner lag could result in you being sent flying off in bizarre directions.

"Titan EX has the hardest ring out mechanics!"
Lists lag

---

Bismark EX (and Leviathan EX) has just as many ring out moves as Titan EX. Ravana gates aren't permanent and you also have to have one up to do Pillar of Heaven. And yeah, Thordan EX is just a death wall but still there to force or increase chance of deaths on Dragoon dive, Warrior's Unmovable Faith, and Gaze frenzy.

Squishy3

That said, it's possible they didn't have the budgets to make two additional new trials for 3.1 or whatnot. Still, it probably would have been better received.
Just adding stuff to be redeemable with Bis and Ravana tokens would have been totally fine too. Or just making a weekly quest that has you go through Bis and Ravana and nets you one token.

WolvenOne

....that's the point? And the weather mechanic is in normal too. People just ignore it because it's not as bad.

I know it's in normal, I've seen the text fly up and the sky change color and all that. Just hardly seems to do anything in Bismark normal. The stun/knockback is a much bigger threat in normal.

Thing is, for the life of me I cannot remember ever being knocked back by an add in extreme.

Sorian

Banned
"Titan EX has the hardest ring out mechanics!"
Lists lag

---

Bismark EX (and Leviathan EX) has just as many ring out moves as Titan EX. Ravana gates aren't permanent and you also have to have one up to do Pillar of Heaven. And yeah, Thordan EX is just a death wall but still there to force or increase chance of deaths on Dragoon dive, Warrior's Unmovable Faith, and Gaze frenzy.

Thordan EX's death wall has no place in this discussion. A ring out mechanic specifically means the body is out of the fight and the player can't be revived back in.

WolvenOne

Also, Ravana losing the walls in Ravana's walls before a certain point in that fight is almost a guaranteed wipe, but so long as some walls remain the knock-back mechanic in that fight isn't a significant factor.

I think people are more likely to be flung out in Bismark then Ravana.

Top Bottom