• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Allard

I want it to be tank because
tanks are the best
it has the chance to be the first tank based around active mitigation, like a ton of skills around counterattacking and playing off what the boss is doing (or just about to do). I just want some active roles in my tanking rather than just more DPS but presses tank cooldown every minute or so.

Get out.

You go with him

I want SAM as tank too, but I am good with either, and with all the hints given from The Rising 2015 event and they have said in interviews its almost assuredly coming, right up there when they kept referencing DRK during ARR interviews. My idea of a good trio (if they stick with only 3 new)

SAM tank, RDM Melee/Caster hybrid, casts magic but needs to be in melee range do some of the mechanics of the job, and a left field job that hasn't been used in FFXI like say chemist for healer. Thanks to what they did with Archer/BRD they can create a class based on consumables that doesn't actually consume an item in inventory. They can make abilities like Mix! that behave like a healer version of Mudra casting using already existing abilities named after flasks.

They also mentioned Blue Mage in that rising stone event but before that event Yoshida questioned whether such a job could/should exist in this game since its so focused on lvling/job questing to get new stuff and that the concept of learning spells in the field alongside leveling would create too wide a gap in player competency in DF groups (Not like there aren't players who don't do the quests either...) because most or almost all would require you get new stuff separate from simply leveling.

I want it to be tank because
tanks are the best
it has the chance to be the first tank based around active mitigation, like a ton of skills around counterattacking and playing off what the boss is doing (or just about to do). I just want some active roles in my tanking rather than just more DPS but presses tank cooldown every minute or so.

Get out.

You go with him

sounds like you're in denial

The class I want the most is a dps blue mage. No idea how to make it work but I love blue mages. Or maybe a red mage.

Least hype inducing class for me... Probably a berserker or geomancer

Valor

They're gonna add classes to get the asses in the seats. Samurai is all but assured alongside Red Mage. Maybe they'll go super boring and bring in Sage as a new healer clazzzzzzzz

I want SAM as tank too, but I am good with either, and with all the hints given from The Rising 2015 event and they have said in interviews its almost assuredly coming, right up there when they kept referencing DRK during ARR interviews. My idea of a good trio (if they stick with only 3 new)

SAM tank, RDM Melee/Caster hybrid, casts magic but needs to be in melee range do some of the mechanics of the job, and a left field job that hasn't been used in FFXI like say chemist for healer. Thanks to what they did with Archer/BRD they can create a class based on consumables that doesn't actually consume an item in inventory. They can make abilities like Mix! that behave like a healer version of Mudra casting using already existing abilities named after flasks.

They also mentioned Blue Mage in that rising stone event but before that event Yoshida questioned whether such a job could/should exist in this game since its so focused on lvling/job questing to get new stuff and that the concept of learning spells in the field alongside leveling would create too wide a gap in player competency in DF groups (Not like there aren't players who don't do the quests either...) because most or almost all would require you get new stuff separate from simply leveling.

If Samurai *has* to be a tank class (sigh), I'd be satisfied with Red/Blue Mage as a true sword wielding DPS.

Red Mage sounds cool, but I feel FFXIV's trinity system kind of holds it's potential back. It has always been a hybrid job, and many people would rather have that class be a melee as instead of a healer. I think rather than stick with the lore of previous FF games, create a new identity for the Red Mage.

I'm thinking a fencer type that uses magic, but give us the option to use both physical stance and magical stance depending on the situation. Actually... I'd be really happy with that!

Allard

If Samurai *has* to be a tank class (sigh), I'd be satisfied with Red/Blue Mage as a true sword wielding DPS.

Red Mage sounds cool, but I feel FFXIV's trinity system kind of holds it's potential back. It has always been a hybrid job, and many people would rather have that class be a melee as instead of a healer. I think rather than stick with the lore of previous FF games, create a new identity for the Red Mage.

I'm thinking a fencer type that uses magic, but give us the option to use both physical stance and magical stance depending on the situation. Actually... I'd be really happy with that!

That's kinda how most assume they will treat RDM if its brought into the game. Jack of all trades, master of none has a hard enough time standing out in a game like FFXI, but one like this with such a rigid trinity means it will either be grossly overpowered or underpowered in any form it takes so instead of relying on the dual black and white magic, focus on the dual magic and melee traits instead to create a new playstyle rather then mimic existing ones poorly.

Also speaking of hints at new jobs, its probably nothing but I find it interesting they are culling the single hand wand/rods from the game, or at least on special fights. Kinda reminds me of the preparation they took to remove daggers from Gladiator in preparation for Rogue/NIN getting added to the game. For now you can interchange between them but rather then just make a new glamour rule like they did for multi slot armor they just decided to make two handed versions and remove the one handed ones from normal drops.

Cmagus

The new Valentines hat is cool looking and it make the Valentione set look really nice as a CUL glamour. The new event music is really good as well.

eciIG2k.png

That's kinda how most assume they will treat RDM if its brought into the game. Jack of all trades, master of none has a hard enough time standing out in a game like FFXI, but one like this with such a rigid trinity means it will either be grossly overpowered or underpowered in any form it takes so instead of relying on the dual black and white magic, focus on the dual magic and melee traits instead to create a new playstyle rather then mimic existing ones poorly.

Also speaking of hints at new jobs, its probably nothing but I find it interesting they are culling the single hand wand/rods from the game, or at least on special fights. Kinda reminds me of the preparation they took to remove daggers from Gladiator in preparation for Rogue/NIN getting added to the game. For now you can interchange between them but rather then just make a new glamour rule like they did for multi slot armor they just decided to make two handed versions and remove the one handed ones from normal drops.

Yup! Exactly what I was thinking. Physical close ranged melee, and magical ranged attacks. Could be the first job that supports two distinctive playstyles and could be switched on the fly.

Caster style could play similar to BLM and SMN, a small rotation with dots to weave in between.

Physical style could play similar to MNK where you alternate between rear and flank.

A couple concerns may arise like if one playstyle gets proven to be better than a different one and the rest of the player base will insist that every RDM should play a certain way because the consensus says so.

Point allotment is another. Go STR or INT? could half and half but in the game of min maxing that's a big no-no.

I didn't know many people who enjoyed playing RDM as a ghetto healer after they fell from grace around Abyssea. There were still people who insisted on wielding a sword and DPS (with lackluster results).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
One thing I love about this game is the amor design, even a low levels you don't look like a clown. In WoW at low levels I remember my chara looking awful.

aceface

For the next expansion I would like them to not introduce any new classes, add about 2-3 abilities to the existing ones and only add 3 zones. New classes and zones seem to take a ton of dev time and resources and I would prefer if they put those resources into new and more varied stuff to do and better endgame.

FFT style Chemist pls

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I have a question regarding Thordan EX - what's the "suggested" item level for that fight?
I had a long break for the game and only have an Eso weapon so far. I'll get the armor tomorrow and upgrade it immediately, but that probably won't change my current 191 avg. item level that much.

I don't really want to farm current tomes since the items are only useful for one class and the next tier is coming soon, so I wanted to make sure if I'll be fine when it comes to clearing that trial.

WolvenOne

Honestly, for red mage I'd leave the rotation largely the same regardless of stance, but make each stance situational.

The magic stance would basically turn red mage into a simplified black mage, with each move essentially being a weak aoe. Single target for this stance wouldn't be much to speak of, but they'd be almost as good as a blm when there are a lot of adds up.

Melee stance would essentially be a somewhat simplified dragoon or monk.

Only problem with this, beside the fact that I'm probably overlooking something major, is that there's only a few kinds of fights where this kind of job would be competitive for top dps. Basically fights where you're switching between single and multiple targets a lot.

Again though, I'm probably missing something major here. Seeing as I don't play dps classes very often and all that.

I have a question regarding Thordan EX - what's the "suggested" item level for that fight?
I had a long break for the game and only have an Eso weapon so far. I'll get the armor tomorrow and upgrade it immediately, but that probably won't change my current 191 avg. item level that much.

I don't really want to farm current tomes since the items are only useful for one class and the next tier is coming soon, so I wanted to make sure if I'll be fine when it comes to clearing that trial.

I'd say around 196-198 is going to be around the minimum for the average player. Top players could probably clear in much much less, but, in a pug group with average players you're going to want every advantage you can get.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
One thing I love about this game is the amor design, even a low levels you don't look like a clown. In WoW at low levels I remember my chara looking awful.
Leatherstrappedbuttocksarmor.jpg
For the next expansion I would like them to not introduce any new classes, add about 2-3 abilities to the existing ones and only add 3 zones. New classes and zones seem to take a ton of dev time and resources and I would prefer if they put those resources into new and more varied stuff to do and better endgame.

FFT style Chemist pls
The last thing this game needs is more buttons for existing classes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
What's the point of all these monster drops I get? It says crafting material but I've yet to see any use for them in all of the disciplines I'm leveling, they taking so much space in my inventory too.

What's the point of all these monster drops I get? It says crafting material but I've yet to see any use for them in all of the disciplines I'm leveling, they taking so much space in my inventory too.

Sell/discard them all. They are typically very cheap to just buy off the market board when you actually do need them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You think existing classes are never getting any new abilities? I thought I was being conservative by only saying 2-3.
My crossbars don't need this suffering.
They're for crafting classes, you can just sell them on the market board.

Apoptomon

So with 3.2 bringing a fight vs Sephirot/Fiend, was there a particular order to the Warring Triad appearances/fights in FF6? If yes, are they / do you think they will be following it in 14?
Insert lame the-Goddess-trapped-in-the-Centrifugal-Crystal-Engine-is-Lightning FF13 reference here

Also, when it comes to people around the net saying SAM has to be a tank because armor, what about robes like what the people on this page are wearing.

BadRNG

Also, when it comes to people around the net saying SAM has to be a tank because armor, what about robes like what the people on this page are wearing.
Hakama? Didn't they wear those under the heavy armor during actual combat?

Anyway, armor is not why SAM will probably be tank. It's good extra reason because it lets you share gear with the other tanks, but the real reason I think it has a good chance to be is because of this interview from before HW release.

The team then considers player feedback while designing the theme of the job. Until the last minute they actually considered Samurai instead of Dark Knight for the tank class, however, they decided against it because they’d introduced Ninja with those similar Far Eastern elements already.

Now of course things can change, they often do, and SAM would work as dps for sure. But given what they have said, the armor thing just making development easier, and my own bias of wanting everything to be tank I will bet on tank for now.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So with 3.2 bringing a fight vs Sephirot/Fiend, was there a particular order to the Warring Triad appearances/fights in FF6? If yes, are they / do you think they will be following it in 14?
Insert lame the-Goddess-trapped-in-the-Centrifugal-Crystal-Engine-is-Lightning FF13 reference here

As far as I remember you fought the Warring Triad sorta simultaneously. You have to split your team into three groups and ascend the tower separately, with each group taking on one of them. What's more interesting is if they're gonna try to reference any of the original mechanics.

aceface

Man with that artwork I was hoping for some existential "are we slaves to the crystal" or "do we have free will" big questions. Instead, reading that description of the Antitower it seems like we literally have to go into the earth and save Minfilia who has gotten trapped by the crystal somehow. Oh well. I'm sure it will be a cool dungeon at least.

3.2 art hi-res
Goddess.

There are tears in my eyes. We are not worthy to gaze upon her form. ;___;

Man with that artwork I was hoping for some existential "are we slaves to the crystal" or "do we have free will" big questions. Instead, reading that description of the Antitower it seems like we literally have to go into the earth and save Minfilia who has gotten trapped by the crystal somehow. Oh well. I'm sure it will be a cool dungeon at least.
We all know our character is tempered as fuck to the Crystal/Hydaelyn.

3.2 art hi-res

I'm getting the impression that Minfillia might be revealed as the manifestation of Hydaelyn's will, and she'll transcend the mortal plane at some point in the story.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting the feeling they're building her up for something considering her role in ARR was, lacking in a sense.

iammeiam

I finally did the 3.1 story yesterday and wound up mostly being jealous of
The Warriors of Darkness, who got to have a cool Ravana battle while I got to have a bunch of conversations and run around the Vault fighting trash mobs.
Between that and the comical inability to sell the whole
"random parts of the city are on fire and everything is chaos!"
bit the MSQ seems super inconsequential.

This sets the bar for 3.2 super low at least. I'll get to do a dungeon with some kind of bosses! Step up!

Top Bottom