• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Abylim

So I've just hit 50 mining. Is there some place I can buy gear in heavensward like I was able to for my battle classes? Or is it literally craft only after 50?

Everything is so damn expensive on the MB >_<

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I finally did the 3.1 story yesterday and wound up mostly being jealous of
The Warriors of Darkness, who got to have a cool Ravana battle while I got to have a bunch of conversations and run around the Vault fighting trash mobs.
Between that and the comical inability to sell the whole
"random parts of the city are on fire and everything is chaos!"
bit the MSQ seems super inconsequential. !

Eh, I thought it was better than the 2.1-> 2.5 stuff at least. At least SOMETHING happened in them, and it might not even immediately be retconned!!

iammeiam

Eh, I thought it was better than the 2.1-> 2.5 stuff at least. At least SOMETHING happened in them, and it might not even immediately be retconned!!
hahahahahaaa.

I will admit at one point there was a point where I thought Shit Was Getting Real in the plot line I wasn't currently participating in but then three cutscenes later
Aymeric is walking around totally fine because it was just a flesh wound.

It did make me wonder a lot about the behind the scenes of the game, though. I'm really surprised HW didn't steal the scale of open world instancing WoW started doing around Cataclysm, I think, since it would have been incredibly useful for actually portraying a Foundation
actually in chaos and on fire. Instead I was running around the dead gaem city that pretty much seemed fine.
The world feels incredibly static for the dynamic situation they seem to want to be portraying. 2.1 to 2.55 at least managed to have one major Warrior of Light-tier thing basically every major patch (defeat a Primal, Chrysalis/Steps) as a justification for involving me in stuff in between uniform deliveries and finding kids. 3.1 felt like spinning wheels.

High point:
Matoya's general attitude towards our shenanigans.

Low point:
The cutscene framing of Yda as a headless torso with exposed bra.
How did multiple people see that and not suggest they go sliiiightly less obvious in their pandering?

Nasser

trying to get the Anima weapon and I just wanted to say that FATEs are seriously the worst way to have to grind. In general I hate when RNG determines your progress in any game. Anyways, I only got 4 out of the 18 crystals so far, will continue after i get back from class

impact

Banned
trying to get the Anima weapon and I just wanted to say that FATEs are seriously the worst way to have to grind. In general I hate when RNG determines your progress in any game. Anyways, I only got 4 out of the 18 crystals so far, will continue after i get back from class

Leveling DRK as my second class (first class I actually wanna play, thx for locking it so far away SE!) and yea with the lack of quests I've been FATE grinding and doing dungeons and I kinda want to kill myself. If I didn't have a second monitor to watch stuff on I would definitely have already quit the game.

WolvenOne

I finally did the 3.1 story yesterday and wound up mostly being jealous of
The Warriors of Darkness, who got to have a cool Ravana battle while I got to have a bunch of conversations and run around the Vault fighting trash mobs.
Between that and the comical inability to sell the whole
"random parts of the city are on fire and everything is chaos!"
bit the MSQ seems super inconsequential.

This sets the bar for 3.2 super low at least. I'll get to do a dungeon with some kind of bosses! Step up!

Among other things, they need to figure out how to have more NPC's on screen for cinematic scenes at a given time. A lot of the scenes that're supposed to feel more dramatic end up feeling kinda hollow because there's so few people involved.

Case in point, that priest guy preaching to that REALLY TINY CROWD! Kinda hard to get the sense that he's misleading a ton of people when so few people are involved!

And yes it would be nice if they could figure out how to do environmental effects for things, like fire, if only for cutscenes and such. I mean the only downside there is that everything would be all repaired once you got out. I dunno, maybe they could set it so you see a re skinned model of the same area until the end of the immediate storyline, or something. *shrug*

Among other things, they need to figure out how to have more NPC's on screen for cinematic scenes at a given time. A lot of the scenes that're supposed to feel more dramatic end up feeling kinda hollow because there's so few people involved.

Case in point, that priest guy preaching to that REALLY TINY CROWD! Kinda hard to get the sense that he's misleading a ton of people when so few people are involved!

And yes it would be nice if they could figure out how to do environmental effects for things, like fire, if only for cutscenes and such. I mean the only downside there is that everything would be all repaired once you got out. I dunno, maybe they could set it so you see a re skinned model of the same area until the end of the immediate storyline, or something. *shrug*

This really happens in a ton of games. Same when you go to some place that's supposed to be a city but it's more like a small town.

I'm a fan of the method where they show a ton of the city in the background even if you can only traverse a small portion of it.

At least then I can see the actual city part even if I can't get to it due to various limitations.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 limitations.

The removal of the PS3 will add phasing, increase the model count, make Diadem good, buff Paladin, invent villains who last longer than a single patch cycle, add Hildy and give Fracture to all.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

latest

Coming to 4.0.

Valor

I mean... open world instancing. It's how you can tell a big and crazy story with stuff happening to the otherwise static world around you. The most that the 14 team seems to do is update some textures and cosmetics every patch like with Dalamud/Mor Dhona/The Warring Triad, but yeah. It would be nice to see some lasting ramifications for the story to maybe make it a little bit more... believable and immediate.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the limit break thing is weird. I don't know when to use if it's shared between party members there has to be some coordination on when to use it, so with pugs it's hard.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PS3 limitations.

The removal of the PS3 will add phasing, increase the model count, make Diadem good, buff Paladin, invent villains who last longer than a single patch cycle, add Hildy and give Fracture to all.
I think what you're really saying is we need a new FF MMO built on UE4...

Just reading between the lines.

WolvenOne

At this point I have no idea where the entrance to the anti tower is going to be. It's supposed to be Sharlayan, but the architecture almost looks like ancient Dravanian. Then you have those frogs which would suggest the entrance is somewhere around the marshy area in the Hinterlands, but there isn't much in the way of structures there that could be a sensible entrance.

So, yeah I guess I'll find out where this big ole structure's been hiding in a few weeks. XD

Valor

the limit break thing is weird. I don't know when to use if it's shared between party members there has to be some coordination on when to use it, so with pugs it's hard.

Rule of thumb is basically melees can use it either on boss 1 or 2, then save for LB 2 for the final boss of a dungeon. Casters get second priority if there's no melee. Coordination isn't super important as long as it isn't silly like melee lb on trash mobs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
At 3+ mobs caster/ranger doing LB is already a superior option over melee saving it for the boss. Basically if you're not using it as soon as it's up, you're wasting time. This "save it for melee" design is a myth, especially considering most DF melee don't even realize they have this Limit Break command half the time. The only exception is if there's some kinda mechanic you want it saved for specifically but that comes up rarely in a dungeon.

Lately I've been getting some crazy use out of rangers' linear LB nuking multiple adds in bosses like Primogenitor, Belladonna or The Curator. Massive style points.

Of course all that I've just wrote is nonsense and you should be saving it for when the final boss is at 2% health because there's no kill like overkill.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
At 3+ mobs caster/ranger doing LB is already a superior option over melee saving it for the boss. Basically if you're not using it as soon as it's up, you're wasting time. This "save it for melee" design is a myth, especially considering most DF melee don't even realize they have this Limit Break command half the time. The only exception is if there's some kinda mechanic you want it saved for specifically but that comes up rarely in a dungeon.

Of course all that I've just wrote is nonsense and you should be saving it for when the final boss is at 2% health because there's no kill like overkill.

Finishing the boss is cooler than your dumb un-turnoffable blind spell!

MogCakes

Was having full movement freedom really such an OP ability for ranged attackers? Using Gauss Barrel feels like a pseudo-caster. It's putting me off MCH tbh.

iammeiam

Was having full movement freedom really such an OP ability for ranged attackers? Using Gauss Barrel feels like a pseudo-caster. It's putting me off MCH tbh.

According to a lot of people with backlogged bard salt around HW launch, yes it is. A lower damage cap baked into weapons via lower WD, requiring a Dragoon for the piercing debuff of suffering another damage loss, and suffering a further damage penalty whenever performing regen functions weren't enough payment for mobility. Caster stance was the only fair solution or something.

That said, I don't have a huge issue with GB. Ammo, procs, and Rapid Fire are a pretty serviceable mobility kit and I manage to still run around like an idiot a lot. MCH becomes about how you maximize the instant casts you can have access to, and after a while it doesn't really feel that restrictive.

aceface

At this point I have no idea where the entrance to the anti tower is going to be. It's supposed to be Sharlayan, but the architecture almost looks like ancient Dravanian. Then you have those frogs which would suggest the entrance is somewhere around the marshy area in the Hinterlands, but there isn't much in the way of structures there that could be a sensible entrance.

So, yeah I guess I'll find out where this big ole structure's been hiding in a few weeks. XD

It's underground I think and wouldn't have much in the way of an above ground structure.

Allard

My guess is Matoya's cave or near it. All the prorogo mobs are found near there and it would certainly be an easy place to hide a tower underground. There is also that sealed cave/ruin in Dravanian Forelands near the chocobo forest in the far northeast (Can only get to it by flying) but I assumed if that were to become anything it would be a dungeon/trial more suited to the Ishgard content.

ebil

My guess is Matoya's cave or near it. All the prorogo mobs are found near there and it would certainly be an easy place to hide a tower underground. There is also that sealed cave/ruin in Dravanian Forelands near the chocobo forest in the far northeast (Can only get to it by flying) but I assumed if that were to become anything it would be a dungeon/trial more suited to the Ishgard content.
The music from the dungeon preview is also based on the Dravanian Hinterlands' theme.

MogCakes

How much more resources would it take for SE to implement a raid that's non-linear? If they're at the point of trying to limit movement to increase susceptibility to mechanics, maybe it's time they rethink their approach to raids. Learning new dances can only carry the game so far.

Maybe create a raid that requires each party to go their own separate path out of sight of each other and force communication via auto-texts or /a chat. The current raids, both savage and Void Ark are lifeless theme park treks. They're a relic of ARR and don't mesh with the open nature HW.

Squishy3

I think the more interesting thing is it's seemingly designed to go to the core of the planet.

And random thought, but it'd be kind of cool if we got a MSQ dungeon that after you clear it it just becomes an instanced thing like the Waking Sands where story NPCs hang out.

Allard

How much more resources would it take for SE to implement a raid that's non-linear? If they're at the point of trying to limit movement to increase susceptibility to mechanics, maybe it's time they rethink their approach to raids. Learning new dances can only carry the game so far.

Maybe create a raid that requires each party to go their own separate path out of sight of each other and force communication via auto-texts or /a chat. The current raids, both savage and Void Ark are lifeless theme park treks. They're a relic of ARR and don't mesh with the open nature HW.

Zero resources, because they won't do it. They want the 24 man raids to be easier content but designed to be handled with larger amount of people. The raids are designed with multiple groups as a gauntlet to boss fights, they are not designed to be an actual 'dungeon' nor is just about any content in this game due to the duty finder and wanting to have content be telegraphed/lacking need for constant communication due to the fact that multiple groups play this game from many different languages.

I think the more interesting thing is it's seemingly designed to go to the core of the planet.

And random thought, but it'd be kind of cool if we got a MSQ dungeon that after you clear it it just becomes an instanced thing like the Waking Sands where story NPCs hang out.

One of my chief complaints with the instanced nature of the game. They build cathedrals with linear hallways, but can never just visit it when the danger appears to be over and enjoy what they helped create. Thankfully this expansion they have started using dungeons and trial locations as a place for story content. I enjoyed both story sequences through the Vault and Halatli and would love to see more of that and perhaps find a way to let us visit those places in proper at certain points.

ebil

I'm super salty the sky pirates hideout didn't become something like that, it looked really cool and I wanted to visit it!

MogCakes

due to the fact that multiple groups play this game from many different languages.

That's unfortunate. One of the bigger reasons people are burning out is lack of variation in encounters and dungeons. I'd think regardless of language barrier auto-text could still serve as a good communication tool. Dungeons lack a feeling of excitement currently.

Squishy3

One of my chief complaints with the instanced nature of the game. They build cathedrals with linear hallways, but can never just visit it when the danger appears to be over and enjoy what they helped create. Thankfully this expansion they have started using dungeons and trial locations as a place for story content. I enjoyed both story sequences through the Vault and Halatli and would love to see more of that and perhaps find a way to let us visit those places in proper at certain points.
Yeah. Destiny has a good example in The Taken King as well as it has you go through the first raid in that expansion.

I'm super salty the sky pirates hideout didn't become something like that, it looked really cool and I wanted to visit it!
Yeah, Sky Pirates hideout is super cool.

Wilsongt

Be glad that you all got a damage boost by becoming casters. Now you all have to be aware of AoE's when you are in fights, like us SMNs.

Top Bottom