• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

IvorB

If you do Ten -> Chi -> Jin (or Chi Ten Jin) and activate it your target gets hit with a spout of water (Suiton) which gives you 10 seconds to use Trick Attack. It effectively grants you Hide I guess. The tooltip isn't very helpful in that regard.

Yeah it seems that does the trick but this is not mentioned anywhere in the tooltips for those skill which seems like a pretty bad oversight.

Galen let's do the Valentine's thing together.

I can see it now...

f2588d593491142b4314bd0eeb788cbf.jpg

Does anyone feel that FFXIV has hit a wall in terms of endgame content? All I did while playing was cap my esoterics, void ark and Alexander. I worked at Savage but not much and I intend to fix that when Midas is out. My point is that two dungeon patches get repetitive. We have an extra trial and a supposedly interesting storyline coming, so I guess we will have to wait and see. I dunno, it gets boring very fast and I thought 3.1 was a disaster of a patch. Maybe the fact that HA will be dyeable now will make us get into coil more easily. Hmm, we will see. Don't want to ditch the game because I still have friends that play it with me. Anima is a disaster of a questline and pretty much confirmed SE had nothing new for those waiting. They disguised anima as new content when in reality it should have been a lot earlier in the game's lifespan.

translated bit from Dengeki, 4gamer, Famitsu, or Game Watch 3 months ago:

Yoshida ideally want to implement Easy/Medium/Savage three- tiered difficulties, but on the other hand they are lacking the staff to implement that much.

lacking staff? heh I wouldn't get my hopes up. wonder which of SE projects is taking up resource....

we're probably going to have to wait until 4.0 to see some variety in endgame. The cement has already dried for the 3.x series. The vocal part of the community over at reddit and OF are on high alert and this thread's activity is not as fast as the older OT threads were in the 2.x days.

you know this endgame is dry when PVE players were going into pvp to farm eso currency, and WHOOOOO BOY they dropped the ball hard on diadem!

Exploratory Missions

Exploratory missions were implemented as a new type of content based on the idea that items can be randomly obtained through farming and players could create their own rules and approaches. Up until recently, there were many limiting rules and a focus on set content in FFXIV.

However, since this deviated greatly from the content we’ve had up until now, there has been challenges involving the friction between players who want to gather and those who wish to battle, as well as the length of time spent playing this content.

source:http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...atch-3.1-and-How-to-Address-it-Moving-Forward

LOL I always assumed it was intended to be FC only content. Adding 210 gear was quite a derail seeing as DF/PF groups wipe for 15-20 minutes trying to bypass mobs guarding the aether currents. No one does the objectives anymore

HA will be dyeable now will make us get into coil more easily.

it's a new crafting set. don't think it will reel in players into t6-t9. maybe if they add crafting drops in there. but then everyone will just farm T6.

ThinFinn

So, this is a little off topic but we just had a FF piano opera here in Singapore.

I have to say I was blown away by the performances of Hiroyuki Nakayama.

It ended on the high notes of Dancing Mad/Kefka's Theme and Battle on Battle on the Big Bridge too which was just epic af.

The piano is such an amazing instrument! <3

BadRNG

we're probably going to have to wait until 4.0 to see some variety in endgame. The cement has already dried for the 3.x series.
What's funny is this is pretty much what people said during 2.0 about 3.x, even Yoshida himself claimed 3.x would let them do a bunch of new things, which seems to of been bullshit.

Wait that's not funny at all :(

it's a new crafting set. don't think it will reel in players into t6-t9. maybe if they add crafting drops in there. but then everyone will just farm T6.
First coil got crafting drops before, and while it was mostly just T4 farmed there was some renewed interest in doing the turns. will probably be same for SCOB. If you have a good group T9 might actually be fastest though, no trash and fight is over super quick now.

Two weeks is too long!

Half of you will "forget" your passwords and never return. I'm on to you. Plus we still need our 18 death clear.
We'll go into Midas forgeting how to play. It'll be fun!

but I'll never forget my password, hunter2, you can't see it because gaf blocks passwords but it's easy to remember.

I honestly hope Alexander Midas will have better and creative mechanics. Alexander Gordias was fun the first week and then it got boring. Good OST though! I guess I just miss some ARR content in general, as the post HW stuff seems to be extremely dull in comparison. I remember the first time I did T5 with my FC. We kept on wiping but we learned from our mistakes and progressed the phases. This was back in the day though. I expect good things from the new Warring Triad trials and hopefully a fun fight. Our server struggles with clears in general and usually transfer to get savage clears.

WolvenOne

To be fair, they have tried two new things in Heavensward. Verminion, which is probably never going to pan out as a major attraction, and Diadem, which it sounds like they're going to be tweaking throughout 3.X.

They'll probably take all the tweaks from Diadem and apply it to the next incarnation. Which is a shame because the game does need juuuuust a little something extra to spice it up. Not a ton mind you, there's a lot that this game does right, it's just lacking a few key things.

• Content with greater longevity
  • More battle content for the mid-level player
  • Tweaks in general to a lot of the sub-attractions
  • More challenging dungeons
Hate to get so specific with that last one, but while I enjoy the occasional dungeon as a quick fluffy diversion, something with more meat would be nice. This may very well be what the game is missing the most right now. And yes, Haman dragging me into Haukke on min ilvl sync all those months ago is probably what got me thinking about this. XD

Valor

Galen let's do the Valentine's thing together.
I thought you'd never ask

don't lead him on. He's got a fragile heart
Thanks for looking out, bro <3

What's funny is this is pretty much what people said during 2.0 about 3.x, even Yoshida himself claimed 3.x would let them do a bunch of new things, which seems to of been bullshit.
Going off of this and another comment above, I do wonder what will happen once Final Fantasy XV finally goes gold. Maybe they'll just go full tilt on Kingdom Hearts III and leave the title that had been making money for them in the dust. I mean like Wolvy said, there's Verminion and Diadem, both of which are new things, but neither of which are implemented correctly. It's always two steps forward and one step back. Hopefully they can figure out how to buck that trend.

Just when I thought Square Enix couldn't possibly make Minfillia more useless, they imprison her again and now give her a new holy outfit to make it seem like she's gonna do something useful for once.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaaAtrsUkAEzJ3X.jpg

Pretty ridiculous, lol. All I want to see her do is unsheathe her dagger and use it for once. Typical big breasted lady archetype in JRPGS that stands there to look pretty. This is going to be a fun main scenario quest....

iammeiam

l
Going off of this and another comment above, I do wonder what will happen once Final Fantasy XV finally goes gold. Maybe they'll just go full tilt on Kingdom Hearts III and leave the title that had been making money for them in the dust. I mean like Wolvy said, there's Verminion and Diadem, both of which are new things, but neither of which are implemented correctly. It's always two steps forward and one step back. Hopefully they can figure out how to buck that trend.

Eh, I don't think Verminion has any place in a discussion of "new for expansion" things. It wouldn't have felt at all out of place in 2.55, for example. It's a new system but slotting into the "convoluted minigames with dubious long-term viability" role that Chocobo racing filled.

Diadem is kind of new, but is also constructed almost entirely from recycled ARR systems. Sometimes this works out (Thordan!), sometimes it feels like they ran out of ideas so released the content equivalent of a clip show.

Both are new, but both also feel like part of the ARR content cycle. Had things gone on to patch 2.7, both would feel right at home. The closest I think they really got to new and risky--the only thing I don't think would have fit at all in ARR--is probably actually the raid. Which went really well in one respect, and really poorly in another. Normal Mode Alexander doesn't have a Coil equivalent, but it's been so insanely popular I'm pretty sure we're more likely to end up with them dropping Savage than ever removing normal mode. Savage seems to conceptually be a challenge to all the players that liked to talk about earning gear doing hard content by making it actually pretty hard; this went over horribly, they failed to actually test it, tuning was weird, one of the fights is just stupid, and ultimately they learned people want hard but not so hard gear in the same content cycle won't ease it sufficiently because it turns out people don't like being stuck for months when it's the only thing left to do.

I dunno, the raid is the only thing in HW that seemed to want to fundamentally change how people interact with the game. Everyone gets the story, only need to do the hard version if you want your teeth kicked in, and they made it kick really hard. I worry this failure will make them even more variety averse going forward.

I've had the game installed on my PS4 for awhile, but I've been hesitant about using my free trial until I have ample time to play. But curiosity is getting the best of me, so I think I'm going to start. Which server is everyone on? And will I be able to have a decent time with this game if I can only play for 1-2 hour sessions?

edit: Ultros, I see!

Follow-up to this question: which is the best class for casual play?

dramatis

Follow-up to this question: which is the best class for casual play?
In terms of easygoing, almost effortless play until later on, it's probably dragoon.

However, if you're anxious about time, any of the damage classes tend to have long queue times. So if you want to be on the roll sooner, you should play a healer or a tank, but they are more difficult classes to play later on (specifically tank).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You should be able to queue Chocobo Race or Verminions from anywhere, Gold Saucer isn't that great of an attraction, if the minigames were half as fun as the ones they had in VII then maybe people would visit it for more than just the Cactpot draw.

Ken

You should be able to queue Chocobo Race or Verminions from anywhere, Gold Saucer isn't that great of an attraction, if the minigames were half as fun as the ones they had in VII then maybe people would visit it for more than just the Cactpot draw.

Oops, you mean queue from anywhere. I can only assume the designer had some idealistic dream of minion square being like one of those packed JP arcades full of noise and cigarette smoke.

ebil

We finished this monstrosity today. We got a lot of new recruits lately (I don't think we have been this active since 3.0 came out and I cannot fathom why, game is supposed to be deader than dead) and it was fun working on this together!

Thorgal

Now all you need is to play Good king moggle 24/7 in there to make it perfect .

did my first 2 hard mode trials today and got a nice shot durring Iffrit .

ffxiv_07022016_160320ossq6.jpg

WolvenOne

Quick thoughts.

1: Yes, Verminion and Chocobo racing should be queable(sp?) from anywhere. The former isn't too bad since they'll team you up with bots, but that should be a failsafe if you remain queued for more then say five ten minutes without anyone else signing up, not the effective default. Chocobo racing is kinda fun when you're doing it against other people, but it isn't fun at all against bots.

2: Diadem needed some stricter rules to enforce some measure of diversity in how you play it. Possibly needed ultra rare spawns that're harder then the star ranks and had special spawn conditions. Or not, again on paper Diadem looks like a good idea, it was just missing something, possibly several somethings.

3: I will agree that adding more stuff to Gold Saucer isn't going to cut it as a fundamental new attraction. Mini-games and side stuff make perfect sense when you're late in an expansion cycle, there are plenty of attractions, multiple ways to get max ilvl gear, etc etc. Early in an expansion cycle the end-game's going to be a little spartan almost by default, and needs all the content it can get.

4: Nothing they've added so far would've really filled that gap that mid-level players are missing. Diadem was always going to be more of a grind then anything else, no matter how much they did to try to make it a fun grind. Verminion was certainly never going to fill up that mid-tier gap. This gap is probably the biggest problem with the game at the moment. If you regularly do Alexander Savage, went through coil at fifty, or even merely go through extreme primals on a not too irregular basis, the dungeons aren't going to feel very substantial in comparison.

Basically, people can't raid or do the harder trials CONSTANTLY. There needs to be other stuff for less casual players to do that're going to take up some of their time, that is challenging enough to remain non-trivial far into a patches lifespan.

Squishy3

We finished this monstrosity today. We got a lot of new recruits lately (I don't think we have been this active since 3.0 came out and I cannot fathom why, game is supposed to be deader than dead) and it was fun working on this together!
The recent discountsprobably helped.

Also had a random thought, you know how Limit Breaks are use all of it or don't use it at all? Maybe at some point they should look into segmenting it so you can use one part of the gauge when you're sitting at LB2 or LB3.

I'm going to use Thordan as an example here. Say you have a bad day and a bunch of deaths and the gauge builds enough that the ultimate will kill anyway. You probably don't need to burn a tank LB3 here to survive it, the 10% or 20% decrease from LB1 or LB2 would probably be enough. This would subsequently let you build another LB3 far faster in the second phase of the fight. Another example would be you flawlessly do the first half, but the healers end up slightly MP starved due to having to constantly top off the DPS who stepped in every AOE. After spear, they could start precasting healer LB1 to go off when infirmity wears off and the other healer doesn't need to use as many AOE heals and they have 25% more MP now.

This would subsequently maybe allow them to be more creative with some of the encounter design (although it'd be probably still be reserved for extreme primals and savage versions of raids) because of the ability to use multiple tiers of LBs throughout the fight, instead of being locked to whatever the bar is currently filled up to. Granted, there'd probably need to be some rebalancing around this, either to the rate LB fills up or something. That'd be Square Enix's problem and not mine though!

Valor

I find chocobo racing fun against bots or people, since bots are often way more enjoyable to race against than actual players. The problem for me comes in where you need to race a million times to get your chocobo finished so you can start the next chocobo grind that's even more intense. They made it a grind for no real reason and it puts me off.

I don't believe that Diadem by nature must be a grind. I think it should have a sense of adventure and randomly generated things that you get to experience fresh each time. People only went there initially for the promise of 210 gear, but once 210 gear is more reliably obtained in other places, it lost its luster because it's rinse and repeat for ninety minutes. Randomly generated maps and enemies and treasures sprinkled throughout would be more enjoyable so it's more about the journey than the destination. That's what I would try to do with Diadem. Make it worth running for the fun of it rather than solely about the loot.

spidye

this game is so overwhelming for a newcomer

I am a lvl 15 gladiator but I have no idea what I'm doing. haha

is a guide for newcomers? I am just doing quest after quest and grind my way up.

this game is so overwhelming for a newcomer

I am a lvl 15 gladiator but I have no idea what I'm doing. haha

is a guide for newcomers? I am just doing quest after quest and grind my way up.
You can use this guide to see what you can unlock as you go.

Other than that, just follow the main story and explore around. The story always sends you to the optimal location for your level.

dramatis

I like how the game looks in general, but the colors are weird, sort of washed out. I've been playing it along FFXII and that game is just so much more vibrant with its colors.

For example:

FFXIV Bomb

FFXII Bombs
The redder ones come much later in the game...

Ken

Yeah, the color palette is usually washed out in the open world. They've experimented with increasing the contrast within instances like Steps and raids for atmosphere and tone.

Squishy3

Yup. Lighting is better in the instances.

I'm also going to blame PS3 for lack of better lighting outside of instances. Mog trees give best lighting, though.

1518f009bb9bf3f186a6fca6c3121854b58c8d98.jpg

WolvenOne

I find chocobo racing fun against bots or people, since bots are often way more enjoyable to race against than actual players. The problem for me comes in where you need to race a million times to get your chocobo finished so you can start the next chocobo grind that's even more intense. They made it a grind for no real reason and it puts me off.

I don't believe that Diadem by nature must be a grind. I think it should have a sense of adventure and randomly generated things that you get to experience fresh each time. People only went there initially for the promise of 210 gear, but once 210 gear is more reliably obtained in other places, it lost its luster because it's rinse and repeat for ninety minutes. Randomly generated maps and enemies and treasures sprinkled throughout would be more enjoyable so it's more about the journey than the destination. That's what I would try to do with Diadem. Make it worth running for the fun of it rather than solely about the loot.

Oh, I definitly want it to take on a direction like that. I'd love it if periodically a quest giving NPC spawned somewhere in the map and you had to complete a quest chain as a party to spawn a double star rank or something.

Ultimately though, I'd still consider that a grind in my book. It'd just be a lot less obvious and a lot less repetitive.

Jijidasu

FFXIV GAF, I need to rant. I feel like the FFXIV team is overlooking the great potential for exploration in Eorzea. I dislike that there are so many fantastic and charming areas but they are often instanced dungeons. I dislike that we have these vistas on the horizon (I'm talking about you, West Shroud with your gorgeous waterfalls) but they are never expanded on or hidden behind text on the lore forum.

I miss the pleasure of exploring. Back in 2002 when FFXI launched, I spent the next two years exploring the game world rather than leveling up with my peers (Yes, I know this is an entire generational difference, but the concept of exploring and my desire for that has not changed). I recently resubscribed so that my wife could play a bit as she's starting to show an interest, and was playing through the Void Ark quest series - I was charmed by the sky pirate settlement, but disappointed that it was only used in a a short series of cut-scenes.

Does anyone else feel that they could do more to open up the world? I can appreciate that it is uncommon for MMO's to open new areas outside of expansions, but feel that at the very least, they could expand on the areas we have currently. It would be fantastic to be able to fly in either direction in the Sea of Clouds and end up in the Diadem, even if it meant zoning. I feel like the PS3 is responsible for a lot of these issues, and understand the reason behind supporting it, but I still think they could do more.

Zomba13

Just when I thought Square Enix couldn't possibly make Minfillia more useless, they imprison her again and now give her a new holy outfit to make it seem like she's gonna do something useful for once.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaaAtrsUkAEzJ3X.jpg

Pretty ridiculous, lol. All I want to see her do is unsheathe her dagger and use it for once. Typical big breasted lady archetype in JRPGS that stands there to look pretty. This is going to be a fun main scenario quest....

It's a nice dress though.

It's a nice dress though.

I know but does it matter? Not like Square Enix will actually allow it to be obtainable without paying. This is precisely why I haven't bought anything from mogshop. I wouldn't spend money on it but that's just me. It will probably come with the hairstyle and be about 15 bucks like the original.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what's a good way, at level 24, to earn some quick gil? I feel like I'm always short on gil.

Top Bottom