• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Redx508

Any Ultros GAF static looking for a WAR for 3.2, pm me here or ingame Red Xiii
EST timezone

SFV one more day get HYPE
tumblr_inline_nut5lpijg31s127hg_500.gif

Jayhawk

For those planning to cap red scrips in preparation for the new stuff they're adding to the red scrip vendors on the 25th, make sure to get some scrips before this Thursday's reset since the weekly cap is 450 and you can hold up to 500. Get ready for possible 3-star rotations... or refining your 2-star rotations.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I really wish they would put Thordan EX in DF soon I'd really like to try it and get some experience. There is never anyone around who wants to do it :(
I agree. I don't think I've seen more than 2 parties recruiting for it, but usually it's 0-1, even during the weekend.
I was lucky enough to get into one, but sadly we only managed to get it to 6%.
It was super close, but 3 aoe attacks went off at once and the last one pushed me into the arena border (together with 2 other people).

WolvenOne

Just an FYI, since I have almost nothing to do in the game right now anyway. I am probably gonna try to throw a Thordan party together sometime this week, to try to get a few people through.

To elaborate on that first sentence, there are things I could be doing, (leveling other classes, gathering crafting etc.) However, I would just assume take things a little easy til 3.2 anyway. Knowing when to pull back a bit is an important part of not burning yourself out. <_<

Tenshi

Neo Member
Just an FYI, since I have almost nothing to do in the game right now anyway. I am probably gonna try to throw a Thordan party together sometime this week, to try to get a few people through.

To elaborate on that first sentence, there are things I could be doing, (leveling other classes, gathering crafting etc.) However, I would just assume take things a little easy til 3.2 anyway. Knowing when to pull back a bit is an important part of not burning yourself out. <_<

What server are you on?

So this is my first month playing since the month HW came out, been having a blast finishing the story and whatnot. I played Ravana for the first time in months...did they nerf that fight or something? Way easier than I remembered it

So this is my first month playing since the month HW came out, been having a blast finishing the story and whatnot. I played Ravana for the first time in months...did they nerf that fight or something? Way easier than I remembered it

Story mode ravana? They didn't nerf it, just more people actually knowing what to do.

Valor

I'm also interested in trying to get some more thordan weapons, so I'm down for helping people through the fight if I'm able to. Also on the Ultros. Maybe Friday help night?

Also also... poor Raijinken... he has such a nice fan club.

This is pretty fantastic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/45wsu4/huge_blm_cast_speed_exploit_discovered_someone/

The comments are kind of cesspit, but someone dug up a video of the method that was being used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEiNB_vpmo

tl;dr: BLM abuses the stutter-step cast mechanic by some means to give himself ridiculously short cast times. Posts logs on fflogs anyway.

(Personal übermensch highlight from the comments:
"It's not an exploit. It's not a bug. It's not a hack. It's an oversight--and it's been in the game since Heavensward launched.
It's been publicly mentioned in-game and on Reddit before, and no, this BLM isn't the first or the only. This practice is widespread in top-end statics, especially Japanese ones, and so it should come as no surprise that they don't want you scrutinizing their logs and accusing them of exploiting.
One of the problems with the FF14 community is that you're all followers. You all follow one strategy for every boss fight, you all use one parser, you all copy the same DPS "rotations"--even when those strategies, parsers, and rotations are wrong or inefficient. Knowing that 99% of the FF14 playerbase just copies what's already been done, it shouldn't come as a surprise that certain mechanics are never taken advantage of by the majority of players.")

IvorB

I'm really enjoying NIN, the mudra mechanic feels fresh even by MMO standards. Definitely a huge step up over ROG which was frankly a little boring.

Yeah I'm really enjoying NIN at the mo' even though the level 52 skill is the worst skill I've ever acquired in this game (so now they want me to manage other people's aggro? Wtf?).

I don't think it's really said enough but this game is pretty masterful in how the job skills work together for the jobs I've played. They really are able to put together these enjoyable, engaging gameplay loops for the jobs.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm getting very comfortable using the controller for this. How viable is it for end-game? Do I need to strictly use a kb/M for the more difficult content.

Thorgal

so just to see if i got the concept of BLM down right remember i am only a lvl 10 THM now :

I open with thunder then blast enemy with Fire to get Astral fire buff .

Keep using fire until low on mp then use Transpose to Umbral ice and keep using ice 1 to refil MP bar then transpose back to Astral fire and continue fire , repeat

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
"It's not an exploit. It's not a bug. It's not a hack. It's an oversight--and it's been in the game since Heavensward launched.

Isn't an oversight literally a bug?

Like it might be one that's 'okay' like roll cancelling in CvS2 or Tribes' insane glitches (skim reading not sure if he's using cheat engine or just timing to pull it off), but that's what a bug is.

I'm getting very comfortable using the controller for this. How viable is it for end-game? Do I need to strictly use a kb/M for the more difficult content.
People use controller all the way up to savage, you'll be fine.

Valor

tl;dr: BLM abuses the stutter-step cast mechanic by some means to give himself ridiculously short cast times. Posts logs on fflogs anyway.
I'm super interested to figure out how that exactly works. I do love the indignant comments though.

so just to see if i got the concept of BLM down right remember i am only a lvl 10 THM now :

I open with thunder then blast enemy with Fire to get Astral fire buff .

Keep using fire until low on mp then use Transpose to Umbral ice and keep using ice 1 to refil MP bar then transpose back to Astral fire and continue fire , repeat
I mean, that's pretty much it but you're level 10 and everything changes as you level. Eventually there are stacks of Astral/Umbral and the rotation changes a ton until you hit 50 and then you throw that more or less out the window as well once you hit 60, it seems.

The basic idea is there, though. Keep dot up, Fire until you can't fire anymore, then transition into ice to regen mana/recast thunder then back to fire. Rinse and repeat.

I just need this question answered cause it's been bugging me. The music that was playing in the 3.2 trailer during The Feast and Hall of Novice what is that a remix too? It sounds familiar but I can't place my finger on it.

Squishy3

Story mode ravana? They didn't nerf it, just more people actually knowing what to do.
Every time I get it in trial roulette this is never the case. And there's usually only 1 or 2 new people.

Tanks won't dodge Tapasya's follow up hits, people forgetting how swift liberation works, people hanging out with the guy targeted by prey... It's kind of a mess. Oh yeah and butterflies too.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This is pretty fantastic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/45wsu4/huge_blm_cast_speed_exploit_discovered_someone/

The comments are kind of cesspit, but someone dug up a video of the method that was being used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEiNB_vpmo

(Personal übermensch highlight from the comments:
It's been publicly mentioned in-game and on Reddit before, and no, this BLM isn't the first or the only. This practice is widespread in top-end statics, especially Japanese ones, and so it should come as no surprise that they don't want you scrutinizing their logs and accusing them of exploiting.
One of the problems with the FF14 community is that you're all followers. You all follow one strategy for every boss fight, you all use one parser, you all copy the same DPS "rotations"--even when those strategies, parsers, and rotations are wrong or inefficient. Knowing that 99% of the FF14 playerbase just copies what's already been done, it shouldn't come as a surprise that certain mechanics are never taken advantage of by the majority of players.")
Well they're not wrong.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It was revealed today on a stream that in 3.2, you will be available to obtain a Tier V materia weekly from Void Ark. Exact method (farthings/loot/new token) was not disclosed. It's just one of the new ways of obtaining high grade materia in the new patch.

Source.

iammeiam

Well they're not wrong.

Eh, there are better situations to give a "wake up, sheeple!" speech than some guy apparently finding a way to game the system and give himself impossibly short cast times.

It's interesting from a how-the-game-works perspective and I'm curious to see how it's done, but at the same time I'd be surprised if it was anything other than exploiting something not actually meant to happen. He claims it's been around for a while and you can see it in other world-first videos, but it's never apparently been used to the extent this BLM is (allowing him to get 15-20% more casts in to a fight.) Which, if true, probably means that before its impact was negligible but now this guy's drawn attention to it. Question is if whatever it is is something they can patch out easily.

Squishy3

Eh, there are better situations to give a "wake up, sheeple!" speech than some guy apparently finding a way to game the system and give himself impossibly short cast times.

It's interesting from a how-the-game-works perspective and I'm curious to see how it's done, but at the same time I'd be surprised if it was anything other than exploiting something not actually meant to happen. He claims it's been around for a while and you can see it in other world-first videos, but it's never apparently been used to the extent this BLM is (allowing him to get 15-20% more casts in to a fight.) Which, if true, probably means that before its impact was negligible but now this guy's drawn attention to it. Question is if whatever it is is something they can patch out easily.
He's also saying that it's not BLM-exclusive but gives no elaboration, so he's probably full of shit.

Assuming it's exclusive to casters, the only people that'd benefit from it would be healers and summoners, but that shouldn't improve their DPS as drastically compared to the extent we're seeing in this BLM. Since a Summoner wouldn't just be able to spam Ruin III like crazy and they'd end up running out of MP insanely fast. A healer could benefit decently from this but they probably would only need to use it during parts of fights where the damage is coming out hard and fast and they'd benefit from whatever is allowing the 2 second cast times.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
As much as I'm enjoying the game, got to say the music is very forgettable.

Sakimoto would been amazing for this game as his compositions are long with tons of layers, they don't get on your nerves after listening to them for long periods. Plus they have this epic feel, FFXII can attest to that.

iammeiam

I don't get the black mage exploit at all. What exactly does it involve? I feel that link isn't really telling me anything comprehensible.

Nobody's sharing how it's done, but the BLM is effectively casting spells impossibly fast. Spellspeed is a major BLM stat because the more they have, the faster they cast, the more damage they do. It can be enhanced via Spell Speed on gear, AST Arrow, Selene's Fey Wind, and BLM's own Ley Lines.

The problem is this BLM is getting spells cast in impossible times without an AST, without Selene, and when he's not in Ley Lines. He's getting Fire IVs out in a timeframe shorter than what's possible with gear that exists in the game; you just can't stack that much spell speed right now, and people who have looked at his lodestone confirm that he has a lot of spell speed but nowhere near that much. He's basically getting dramatically higher DPS via casting more spells than should be possible without the... whatever he's doing.

One popular theory is using a client-side cheat engine that's forcing casts to 'start' when the command queueing happens (you can queue up a skill a fraction of a second before your GCD is up, so they're speculating he's forcing the casts to start then via outside means); the other guy comes into the comments and says it's all being done inside the game itself and there's a way to do it if we'd only all just stop aping each other.

scy

I don't get the black mage exploit at all. What exactly does it involve? I feel that link isn't really telling me anything comprehensible.

Best guess of what he's actually doing is force-cancelling their cast prior to it completing. Basically, due to the way the game works, the last portion of the cast bar will complete no matter what. This allows for casters to move in the last .25 - .5s of their cast bar and complete their cast. The biggest difference here, though, is his casts complete instantly at that point rather than finishing that last little buffered cast bar. FFLogs of it indicate an actually faster cast and not the buffered full timer as well so it's kind of weird if it's that.

Basically: Casting faster than intended based off his stats and buffs.

Best guess of what he's actually doing is force-cancelling their cast prior to it completing. Basically, due to the way the game works, the last portion of the cast bar will complete no matter what. This allows for casters to move in the last .25 - .5s of their cast bar and complete their cast. The biggest difference here, though, is his casts complete instantly at that point rather than finishing that last little buffered cast bar. FFLogs of it indicate an actually faster cast and not the buffered full timer as well so it's kind of weird if it's that.

Basically: Casting faster than intended based off his stats and buffs.

Oh, I know what you mean by moving at the last second. I do that. I still don't understand how he can instant cast after though. Regardless, it may be a game breaking glitch or exploit that Square Enix have not looked into yet. I've seen nothing like this on ps4 so maybe it is a pc "hack"

suzu

Sakimoto would been amazing for this game as his compositions are long with tons of layers, they don't get on your nerves after listening to them for long periods. Plus they have this epic feel, FFXII can attest to that.

I love Sakimoto's work, buuuuut I disagree. Soken's good. Also you're still pretty early in the game right?

Wilsongt

A lot of early music is bland. The quality of nudic begins to ramp up dramatically from 2.2 onward.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Soken's music isn't complex but it's catchy and pretty memorable. I can hum a lot of themes from XIV off my memory (although that's partly because I've been playing it non-stop for 2 years). There's some real gems in there. Sakimoto's work in comparison, I don't know, I can't remember a single track from FF12, but I loved his soundtrack for Romeo x Juliet.

In addition, Soken is such a chill and humble dude every time he appears on streams, you just gotta love the guy.

FFXIV has a similar upgrading system in the way of overmelding materia, but that largely only applies to groups going for world/server first and crafters/gatherers.

Yeah, I'm mainy talking about main game stuff.

I've never had to do overmelding or whatever for anything I've played so far which is basically everything except for savage Alexander.

Top Bottom