• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

I also agree that XII's soundtrack, while good, is also largely forgettable and good as background music. I'm not super up on a ton of japanese composers, but I've fallen in love with Soken's styles of music and his personality. Like Frumix said, it's so hard not to like the guy. He also does a lot of upbeat music it seems which is pretty much my musical wheelhouse, so there's that.

Teknoman

Soken's music isn't complex but it's catchy and pretty memorable. I can hum a lot of themes from XIV off my memory (although that's partly because I've been playing it non-stop for 2 years). There's some real gems in there. Sakimoto's work in comparison, I don't know, I can't remember a single track from FF12, but I loved his soundtrack for Romeo x Juliet.

In addition, Soken is such a chill and humble dude every time he appears on streams, you just gotta love the guy.

Not even the boss theme from XII, Phon Coast, Sky city, or the Sandsea? Not diving into the whole XII music was memorable/catchy but still good...but I can recall a bunch of themes off the bat.

Also man I thought it could just blast to level 57, but its gonna take awhile. Cant wait till I hit 60 so I can start up on Dark.

MogCakes

He's also saying that it's not BLM-exclusive but gives no elaboration, so he's probably full of shit.

Assuming it's exclusive to casters, the only people that'd benefit from it would be healers and summoners, but that shouldn't improve their DPS as drastically compared to the extent we're seeing in this BLM. Since a Summoner wouldn't just be able to spam Ruin III like crazy and they'd end up running out of MP insanely fast. A healer could benefit decently from this but they probably would only need to use it during parts of fights where the damage is coming out hard and fast and they'd benefit from whatever is allowing the 2 second cast times.

There are probably a lot of people dedicated to scrutinizing the technical programming of the game to see how they can exploit it to their advantage in competitions against other top statics. I wouldn't be surprised of many of the top tier static players have discovered this.

Thorgal

I made an alt .

ffxiv_15022016_174056crscw.jpg

I feel like all I have seen in this thread are au-ra, lalas and cats. I'm now wondering if I am the only Elezen in this entire thread, xP. This is why I love feeling unique. Tier 5 materia is nice considering I have never really used materia on my stuff besides the relic quest. Hmmm.

Thorgal

I feel like all I have seen in this thread are au-ra, lalas and cats. I'm now wondering if I am the only Elezen in this entire thread, xP. This is why I love feeling unique. Tier 5 materia is nice considering I have never really used materia on my stuff besides the relic quest. Hmmm.

well , when i made my first character in FF14 i made an Elezen .

after a while i used a fantasia to turn him into a furry miqo'te.

and later again i turned him into this stern looking fellow ( old pic though changed his hair and some other stuff with the aesthetics dude .

MogCakes

Okay I'm going to do actual research fuck this

The scrutiny of his cast-cancels and starts leads me to believe a 3rd party tool is at play here. Starting a cast .1 seconds after cancelling the previous cast at the point of no return consistently through a fight is too precise to be humanly possible.

That guy mouthing off in the comments of that Reddit page won't say what the actual exploit is because he likely also uses it. The occam's razor of this is either a 3rd party tool or a skill bug that snapshots. Not even the best stutter-stepping allows for the precision between cast cancels and starts with which this Count Brusef guy is demonstrating.

Jeels

Just an FYI, since I have almost nothing to do in the game right now anyway. I am probably gonna try to throw a Thordan party together sometime this week, to try to get a few people through.

Heyyy, let me know when and I will join! I haven't cleared Thordon yet.

Squishy3

The scrutiny of his cast-cancels and starts leads me to believe a 3rd party tool is at play here. Starting a cast .1 seconds after cancelling the previous cast at the point of no return consistently through a fight is too precise to be humanly possible.

That guy mouthing off in the comments of that Reddit page won't say what the actual exploit is because he likely also uses it. The occam's razor of this is either a 3rd party tool or a skill bug that snapshots. Not even the best stutter-stepping allows for the precision between cast cancels and starts with which this Count Brusef guy is demonstrating.
Yeah I did the math, and he has a Fire IV cast time equivalent to the one demonstrated by Elysium's A4S world-first video when he's not in Ley Lines.
Except the BLM in Elysium's world-first video has that cast-time under the effect of Ley Lines and Fey Wind, while this BLM doesn't.

These cast times and GCD are achievable right now with the amount of spell speed currently attainable in game + Ley Lines, but he was doing this before 3.1 even hit. So I'd wager it on the parse that started this being legitimate if completely decked out in i210 diadem gear with spell speed on every piece, but something fishy's going on in that A4S video. Hell, if it was in fact an exploit, it might've been patched out by now.

It'll be really telling if their FC doesn't upload any Midas videos, though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lol things can go bad real fast in this game during a fight, was doing this dungeon where one of the midbosses has an ability that casts doom on the entire party (it's a room-wide AoE) and you have to step on of those platformer before the countdown runs out, or you die. The healer didn't, and got killed. We wiped so fast.

And I wish more tanks used the marker option for their targets, it makes everything soooooo much easier. So far only one pug I played with had the tank marking his targets and it was smooth as fuck.

Judging from the people I've spoken to, seems a lot of people are gonna go hard at Midas when it first comes out, would love to do that but just started a new job so I'm not about that life just yet. And still no one wants a ninja

Grisby

Started messing around with the Gold Saucer a little more seriously. Seems like the daily cactopot and fates are the way to go for MGP. Doing some choco racing while I'm leveling my Bard (41!), although I wish it gave some more MGP, but it probably does at higher levels.

I love the Saucer music.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I love Sakimoto's work, buuuuut I disagree. Soken's good. Also you're still pretty early in the game right?

Currently doing the entire questline to unlock the Titan trial, level 38 NIN. Slept on MSQs and I'm like 7 levels above them now :/

chrono01

Please don't feed the giraffe.

suzu

Currently doing the entire questline to unlock the Titan trial, level 38 NIN. Slept on MSQs and I'm like 7 levels above them now :/

If I'm remembering correctly.. that entire quest line is the worst. lol

Yeah, try to keep up with MSQs since most of the ARR trials and dungeons are locked behind it.

Squishy3

If I'm remembering correctly.. that entire quest line is the worst. lol

Yeah, try to keep up with MSQs since most of the ARR trials and dungeons are locked behind it.
To be fair having a level advantage on the MSQ is never a bad thing, really. Should avoid any scenarios where you're locked out of doing a quest because of your level.

Please don't feed the giraffe.

You know, the giraffe comments are all over the place but I personally don't see it much. Aren't Au ra a lot taller or something? Maybe it is my character. I didn't make her that tall but she is still taller than a hyur, let's say. I also made her look half human and elf. Doesn't bother me one bit and the haters can hate all they want :p

MogCakes

It'll be really telling if their FC doesn't upload any Midas videos, though.

It will be. On the official forums, a post by one of his static teammates denies that he's using any exploits with about as business-like an answer as you can get. Going to be watching this closely. Also I've been playing around with stutter-stepping, there's no way to begin the next cast before GCD completes, so Count Brusef is circumventing GCD somehow. I doubt his actual GCD is 2.0 seconds.

suzu

You know, the giraffe comments are all over the place but I personally don't see it much. Aren't Au ra a lot taller or something? Maybe it is my character. I didn't make her that tall but she is still taller than a hyur, let's say. I also made her look half human and elf. Doesn't bother me one bit and the haters can hate all they want :p

It's because of the long neck and limbs. The elvaan in FF11 were also nicknamed dhalmels/giraffes. lol

Tiops

lol things can go bad real fast in this game during a fight, was doing this dungeon where one of the midbosses has an ability that casts doom on the entire party (it's a room-wide AoE) and you have to step on of those platformer before the countdown runs out, or you die. The healer didn't, and got killed. We wiped so fast.

And I wish more tanks used the marker option for their targets, it makes everything soooooo much easier. So far only one pug I played with had the tank marking his targets and it was smooth as fuck.

Qarn is one of the first dungeons that start punishing the players for not doing the mechanics. I'm leveling multiple jobs right now and it's always fun to run Qarn with new people because of this. You're not going to find really hard dungeons in this game, but you'll run into some bosses that can make new players suffer a little bit.

Ken

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001357.html

[–][First] [Last] on [Server]Alice_89th 16 points 4 hours ago

The new features in a tl;dr translation:
You will now be able to centre the screenshot on a character other than yourself (up till now /gpose always took your character as the centre of the screenshot)
You'll be able to change the camera angle (up/down I guess, from the example screenshot).
Pets now look at the camera too. The little buggers finally learned to look at the camera when someone says 'smile!'.
You can change whether people, now including pets, in the screenshot look at the camera or whatever direction they were looking at before.
Changes have been made so that when you do an interactive emote (/pet, /hug, /handover, etc), you and your target will be in the right position. I guess they mean you won't be accidentally petting the air with your minion 2 steps away from you.

Eldren

From the crafted gear we could see in the 3.2 trailer I'm most looking forward to the tartan trousers and the dyeable Elezen legs. Maybe the dyeable Allagan caster robe too, the only piece of Coil gear I ever got. I never wear hats or hairpins or anything like that, literally the only headgear pieces I ever wear are glasses.

The preliminary patch notes should be in a few days so maybe we can get some idea of the new recipes incoming.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
From the crafted gear we could see in the 3.2 trailer I'm most looking forward to the tartan trousers and the dyeable Elezen legs. Maybe the dyeable Allagan caster robe too, the only piece of Coil gear I ever got. I never wear hats or hairpins or anything like that, literally the only headgear pieces I ever wear are glasses.

The preliminary patch notes should be in a few days so maybe we can get some idea of the new recipes incoming.

I don't think recipes are gonna be in the preliminaries.

Wilsongt

As I say to all of the giraffe haters in my FC, while you all starve down near the earth, I will be eating the greenest and tastiest leaves from the tallest trees.

Plebs.

Wait... so If I'm understanding this right, they're going to let you glamour any piece of gear without job/class restrictions?

Because if so, that would be magnificent. I've become a bit of a glamourholic with my MNK, and envy tank gear but I don't care for tanking in general.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wait... so If I'm understanding this right, they're going to let you glamour any piece of gear without job/class restrictions?

Because if so, that would be magnificent. I've become a bit of a glamourholic with my MNK, and envy tank gear but I don't care for tanking in general.

No. They're just making some popular pieces into class-agnostic items.

Top Bottom