• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Little Ladies' 2016

f8f28098.jpg

43fc8bd6.jpg

I shall call this "Expectation vs reality"

This is pretty fantastic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/45wsu4/huge_blm_cast_speed_exploit_discovered_someone/

The comments are kind of cesspit, but someone dug up a video of the method that was being used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEiNB_vpmo

tl;dr: BLM abuses the stutter-step cast mechanic by some means to give himself ridiculously short cast times. Posts logs on fflogs anyway.

(Personal übermensch highlight from the comments:
"It's not an exploit. It's not a bug. It's not a hack. It's an oversight--and it's been in the game since Heavensward launched.
It's been publicly mentioned in-game and on Reddit before, and no, this BLM isn't the first or the only. This practice is widespread in top-end statics, especially Japanese ones, and so it should come as no surprise that they don't want you scrutinizing their logs and accusing them of exploiting.
One of the problems with the FF14 community is that you're all followers. You all follow one strategy for every boss fight, you all use one parser, you all copy the same DPS "rotations"--even when those strategies, parsers, and rotations are wrong or inefficient. Knowing that 99% of the FF14 playerbase just copies what's already been done, it shouldn't come as a surprise that certain mechanics are never taken advantage of by the majority of players.")

LMAOO I remember seeing that witch hunt thread yesterday and dying because of the 500 comments and the "how did he do it?" Obsession vibe I got off from some of the replies.

I knew it was an exploit but the "you're all followers" bit is still fucking funny! Jesus Christ HAHA!

This is pretty fantastic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/45wsu4/huge_blm_cast_speed_exploit_discovered_someone/

The comments are kind of cesspit, but someone dug up a video of the method that was being used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEiNB_vpmo

tl;dr: BLM abuses the stutter-step cast mechanic by some means to give himself ridiculously short cast times. Posts logs on fflogs anyway.

It has been so weird seeing something so big involve people I've actually interacted with on my server. A friend of mine tried to talk to the BLM in question weeks ago because he was the #1 BLM on FFLogs and wanted some tips. But the guy refused to talk to him. Guess it makes sense now.

Two members from that BLM's static left after this thing was exposed. Tough since it's only a week until 3.2, but them's the breaks.

I probably should have edited that post sooner, since at the time, something to do with stutter-stepping seemed kind of plausible, but it seems like people are saying it's using outside programs now. I guess I gave SE too much credit given how long he'd been doing it for. :V

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I probably should have edited that post sooner, since at the time, something to do with stutter-stepping seemed kind of plausible, but it seems like people are saying it's using outside programs now. I guess I gave SE too much credit given how long he'd been doing it for. :V

People were doing some weird shit in T5 for a good while before they stopped the z-axis hacks.

People were doing some weird shit in T5 for a good while before they stopped the z-axis hacks.

True enough, but T5 was the end of 2013. I'm sure they've always been building on a big pile of rushed-out spaghetti code but I thought they might have tightened up things at least a little by now given that the game's been out for a couple of years and has seen a few big exploits.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
True enough, but T5 was the end of 2013. I'm sure they've always been building on a big pile of rushed-out spaghetti code but I thought they might have tightened up things at least a little by now given that the game's been out for a couple of years and has seen a few big exploits.

Your optimism amuses me!

iammeiam

They trust client-side data a lot for lag compensation; the end result seems to be this guy using well-known existing exploits and just being the first person ballsy/stupid enough to let himself be ranked using them. I think they only really scrutinize combat logs for actual world first progression which this guy never did--his group wasn't server first for A4S, so even on a server level they weren't necessarily noteworthy enough to be worth picking apart. Had somebody in Lucrezia/Elysium been doing this I expect it would have been caught much more quickly (but they wouldn't, as legit kills are a thing in world first.)

I imagine if anybody in his static didn't know he was doing this, they're probably salty as hell. Not only does this invalidate their first A4S kill, it means they were probably hundreds of DPS shy of getting a legit kill at the time as enrage had started killing people.

Also 3.2 maint from 4PM PDT 2/22 to 2 AM 2/23. No to the wire Monday raiding for last minute clears.

Arkeband

Banned

When 2.0 launched, people could send console commands to ping the server and level themselves up to 50 instantly.

Of all possible MMO bugs, "completely bypass leveling altogether" was actually one that FFXIV persisted for a while past launch.

(just for perspective here)

in other words, BIRD MOUNTS. I could see myself farming Bismarck, but I have a feeling Ravana will be the most complicated and punishing EX to farm since Titan.

When 2.0 launched, people could send console commands to ping the server and level themselves up to 50 instantly.

Of all possible MMO bugs, "completely bypass leveling altogether" was actually one that FFXIV persisted for a while past launch.

(just for perspective here)

Nah, I get that. That's why I'm saying I'm surprised that they've only been playing whack-a-mole since then. :V

aceface

in other words, BIRD MOUNTS. I could see myself farming Bismarck, but I have a feeling Ravana will be the most complicated and punishing EX to farm since Titan.

You can beat Ravana with one healer alive with full LB after final liberation.

Now Thordan, that's going to be a nightmare.

Valor

I could see myself farming Bismarck, but I have a feeling Ravana will be the most complicated and punishing EX to farm since Titan.

Now Thordan, that's going to be a nightmare.

<elitism>
Ravana EX and Thordan EX are pretty much joke status if you have a competent group of people. Ravana especially was cleared at like i180 and our gear level is going to be like i230? Even right now at 210 Ravana is incredibly simple. If you know the mechanics and the script of the fight, it's hardly a problem.

Thordan is also mind numbingly easy if you know the mechanics and have a decent group. Even if you don't, gear increase is going to make him way easier than he already is. Pushing his phases faster, killing knights easier, less mechanics seen in the final phase. HP thresholds and defense increases also punish you for mistakes considerably less than they do right now.

All three EX Primals right now are incredibly farmable.
</elitism>

iammeiam

Every fight in this game is as easy or as difficult as your group makes it, shocking exposè at 11. They were all super farmable day one given that we all farmed them for tokens at release, question is if they're nerfbatted enough for random Ultros groups yet.

Thordan at least is probably going to be fairly gross to PF with randoms until 3.3 and catchup gear. Curious to see what the drop rate comes in at; original pony? First drop bump? Final drop bump? Is there an eagle equivalent of Nightmare?

Unless the animations are amazing I think I get to skip caring about primal mounts again though; I mostly want to know if we're going to be overgeared enough to make 2-man FCoB feasible yet.

studyguy

I don't know what happened with that BLM deal, but watching the fallout is entertaining.

Also I want those mounts. Holy fuck I want those mounts but I definitely don't want to farm bismark.
I always felt like Ravana was a thousand times easier to sleep through than Bismark. Ravana is just the same song and dance forever. Bismark requires too much movement for me to sleep through.

Jayhawk

I thought I was done with Thordan, even after helping other GAF members. Now they gonna pull me back in? I hope to see future runs where Haman is drunk again and complaining about his dps.

scy

bird farming isn't as funny as pony farming as a term D:

At like i240, Ravana should die before you even have to mechanics at all; he was killed that fast back at i180+RavEX weapons, not managing that now would be kind of disappointing.

Unless you're DFing, I guess, then every pull probably makes it to his random phase.

Squishy3

bird farming isn't as funny as pony farming as a term D:

At like i240, Ravana should die before you even have to mechanics at all; he was killed that fast back at i180+RavEX weapons, not managing that now would be kind of disappointing.

Unless you're DFing, I guess, then every pull probably makes it to his random phase.
I see all the Rav EX PF groups now saying "aim to kill before final liberation" and I just shake my head and sigh.

back in my day we had to deal with final liberation, you kids have it easy

Critical Elk

Neo Member
I see all the Rav EX PF groups now saying "aim to kill before final liberation" and I just shake my head and sigh.

back in my day we had to deal with final liberation, you kids have it easy

I mean....back in my day we still had the raw intuition bug. Something something what are mechanics even.

Arkeband

Banned
<elitism>
Ravana EX and Thordan EX are pretty much joke status if you have a competent group of people. Ravana especially was cleared at like i180 and our gear level is going to be like i230? Even right now at 210 Ravana is incredibly simple. If you know the mechanics and the script of the fight, it's hardly a problem.

Thordan is also mind numbingly easy if you know the mechanics and have a decent group. Even if you don't, gear increase is going to make him way easier than he already is. Pushing his phases faster, killing knights easier, less mechanics seen in the final phase. HP thresholds and defense increases also punish you for mistakes considerably less than they do right now.

</elitism>

I meant DF, there's no way I would DF Thordan EX once that opens up, there are simply too many mechanics for someone to clear it blindly.

I'm sure Ravana will be cake with a PF group, but unless Midas is easy enough where everyone's "done" with it early, I doubt I'd have a static dedicated to farming these birds if their drop rates are like 1-2%.

Squishy3

Those days were the best days...
I forgot about that bug.

<elitism>

</elitism>
Yeah I mean, you already one-cycle knights provided the knight you start on is the one that gets sword oath.

Jeels

Their hempen set kinda sucks. Their starting gear is fantastic though.

But I am one
for now.

JP20160216_9.png

Forgot this was being added. #1 reason to keep playing for now.

I hope this means people will be farming Titan Ex. I still need Titan pony.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Bismarck was a joke in 170, it's gonna be a bigged joke in 220.
The spine will probably melt in one go and the only real mechanic will be the tank swap.

Ravana can be pushed past the butterflies if he's brought to ~30% before any swords spawn, which was done by Lucrezia very very early on.

iammeiam

I hope this means people will be farming Titan Ex. I still need Titan pony.

Ifrit used the HM drop, not the EX drop, and people have bought out every semi-reasonably priced Titan HM drop in preparation. Those are still direct-inventory drops, too, so I don't think you can Unsync farm.

On the bright side, by mid-3.2 WAR solo Titan EX should be really easy. VIT spec is gonna trivialize all the damage.

Wilsongt

Not with that attitude.

Not enough people in the FC to farm these things, lol. I haven't even beaten Bismark or Ravana EX.

Most of the end-game folks in the FC have moved over to Blade and Boobies, or just don't do anything with the FC much anymore except working on some relic items and the airship. Our leader is kinda busy with Japanese gacha games.

PF is always... hit or miss. ._.

WolvenOne

Well hopefully Bird Farming gets GARF active again, cause I missed those occasional Primal runs with random people from the FC. XD

They could really just, make an evening.

WolvenOne

Remember that time when bookey had to suffer 100 runs of leviathan to get the pony

Well, I'm hoping they start off the drop-rate somewhere above where the initial drop rates for the first three ponies were. Considering that people still farm for ponies even when the drop rate is so high is proof that you don't need an absurdly low drop rate to keep people coming back.

Mind you, I don't want it to be TOO high either. Going straight to the current pony drop rate would be a little excessive.

Jayhawk

hawk hunting!!!

The jayhawks from Bloodborne aren't just there to torment Red, now they're in XIV to taunt you when somebody else gets a drop.

Top Bottom