• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Squishy3

I want to see them do regulators without dying/Nisi. I'm pretty sure it'd be possible with Thrill and a shield. Add in nerfs or echo shenanigans and the fight will probably be one of the easiest to do.

Except they just said it was getting nerfed, few weeks after patch.

What? They're saying they're going to nerf it in a few weeks. I don't get the delay at this point. The post I responded to was the first clear indicator we have that it's not a Savage Coil situation.
Oh I misread the post

iammeiam

Full translation's up

Get ready to grind everything:
After the patch is released, you'll be able to strengthen your equipment along any path?

Yoshida: For those who plan for an early clear of Alexander: Midas, I think you'll want to look at the new crafter-produced equipment, completing the normal difficulty of Midas, and doing the extreme Sephirot battle.

Tank hype:
In patch 3.2, will the tank adjustments be carried out individually?

Yoshida: No, it's different from that. Each of the three tank jobs has attacking and defensive stances, and the main adjustment will be to return the advantages and disadvantages of switching between stances on the three jobs to level the playing field. In patch 3.2 we changed a number of calculations and made upward adjustments for the jobs that did not reach the assumed numerical values. We did not reduce the numbers for any particular job to balance the tank role jobs.

So it's upward adjustments across the board?

Yoshida: No. Because warrior was originally strong, it's been left alone. It seems there were some rumors and people were sure Fell Cleave would be adjusted, but we didn't make any changes to that.

I've seen those rumors.

Yoshida: Fell Cleave is certainly quite strong, but I don't think it needs to be adjusted for job balance. To even out the jobs this time, our basic policy for the adjustments was that the gaps would be addressed by making upward adjustments.

Really nothing on MCH/AST buffs. RIP.

Squishy3

Oh, so the interview makes it sound like the guy who used to teleport you out of Idyllshire is the guy who opens up Stone, Sky, Sea. :lol

It just says "warrior" but it'd be cool if they made that guy the quest giver.

Valor

Oh, so the interview makes it sound like the guy who used to teleport you out of Idyllshire is the guy who opens up Stone, Sky, Sea. :lol

It just says "warrior" but it'd be cool if they made that guy the quest giver.

Finally that poor guy has a job again

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y4E-PqI5ic

So watching that video, is there a way in-game to have ui show you the ability icons for the abilities that aren't part of the GCD so you know when their CD is up? Like in this video at bottom of the screen, man something like that would be nice... Just hoping it's not some 3rd party add-on/plug-in since I'm on ps4 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y4E-PqI5ic

So watching that video, is there a way in-game to have ui show you the ability icons for the abilities that aren't part of the GCD so you know when their CD is up? Like in this video at bottom of the screen, man something like that would be nice... Just hoping it's not some 3rd party add-on/plug-in since I'm on ps4 version.

are you talking about when you are playing on controller? You can set up additional hotbars and position them on your screen and put whatever skills you want to watch CD's for on the hotbars. The settings right now may have all your hotbars that aren't in use invisible which is why you probably don't know. But yes it is possible to do on ps4, I just don't know the exact step by step method. I also believe in the setting you can toggle which hotbars are visible or not

Zelias

Banned
Looking at coming back when I get my desktop built and set up. I've currently got a char on Balmung but was thinking about moving or rerolling on an EU server for better ping but wanted advice on which one to go for:

In general I'd prefer: majority English speaking (don't mind some French though), and high-pop/active, especially at lower levels if I reroll. Not bothered about raid progress as I don't plan on doing serious endgame.

I imagine most of y'all play on Ultros but the ping to US servers is really annoying for me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
are you talking about when you are playing on controller? You can set up additional hotbars and position them on your screen and put whatever skills you want to watch CD's for on the hotbars. The settings right now may have all your hotbars that aren't in use invisible which is why you probably don't know. But yes it is possible to do on ps4, I just don't know the exact step by step method. I also believe in the setting you can toggle which hotbars are visible or not
Yeah I fiddled around with the HUD and got what I wanted. Thanks!

Eldren

Higher resolution pics:
mcL6U7R.jpg
OPyMxut.jpg

Still disappointed they went with shared primals instead of 1 each, that could have been really special.
RIP Ramuh Caster gear

Also there was an update in that Slycer thread, he said Yoshi has done a 180 on AST's Shuffle and it will no longer give you the same card twice, "as part of an overall adjustment to the job". So that's something to look forward to.

Ataxia

Higher resolution pics:

Still disappointed they went with shared primals instead of 1 each, that could have been really special.
RIP Ramuh Caster gear

Also there was an update in that Slycer thread, he said Yoshi has done a 180 on AST's Shuffle and it will no longer give you the same card twice, "as part of an overall adjustment to the job". So that's something to look forward to.
What about the Dragoon? How come that is different?

Guess it doesn't matter anyway. By the time I get these things it'll probably be irrelevant xD

Eldren

What about the Dragoon? How come that is different?

Guess it doesn't matter anyway. By the time I get these things it'll probably be irrelevant xD

Occasionally certain jobs have different gear sets to others, or unique ones at least. Most of the examples I can think of are still quite far off from where you are but there are some at level 50 and 60. Dragoon is like the representative job of Heavensward in terms of the story so I guess they get to be a little special this time around.

ebil

Looking at coming back when I get my desktop built and set up. I've currently got a char on Balmung but was thinking about moving or rerolling on an EU server for better ping but wanted advice on which one to go for:

In general I'd prefer: majority English speaking (don't mind some French though), and high-pop/active, especially at lower levels if I reroll. Not bothered about raid progress as I don't plan on doing serious endgame.

I imagine most of y'all play on Ultros but the ping to US servers is really annoying for me.
Maybe Ragnarok? It's very mixed but everyone speaks English in some capacity (you'll sometimes read French, Italian, Spanish or even people chatting in transcribed Arabic) and I see new players all the time in the 3 city-states. It's the biggest EU server.

That being said, Cerberus, Phoenix and Odin aren't far behind in terms of population so you can't really go wrong.

I'm more interested in the rest of the "overall adjustment to the job", we already knew about Shuffle. :(
Edit: read the 4gamer interview, it really is non-specific about AST. In addition to Shuffle, they're adjusting its hate generation to avoid stressful situations like after Thordan's Ultimate End (if you've ever healed that on AST you know why) and overall buffing jobs/actions that are not meeting expectations. No nerfs to existing actions.

Ken

Monk fists are manipulator legs lol. MCH gun looks really nice though. Kind of jealous but I guess gauss barrel will make it hideous in the end.

ebil

Aren't the female MCH and WHM poses new? It's the second time they're showing a female WHM using this one and we're supposedly getting new emotes, like that DRG backflip in the Stone, Sky, Sea part of the trailer.

Eldren

I'm more interested in the rest of the "overall adjustment to the job", we already knew about Shuffle. :(
Edit: read the 4gamer interview, it really is non-specific about AST. In addition to Shuffle, they're adjusting its hate generation to avoid stressful situations like after Thordan's Ultimate End (if you've ever healed that on AST you know why) and overall buffing jobs/actions that are not meeting expectations. No nerfs to existing actions.

My AST is only 49 but even just a few hours' grinding in Northern Thanalan made me sick of Shuffle. Will that be a change to Luminiferous Aether? Even if they improve the aggro decrease, it won't be as good as a straight up aggro-dump like Sacred Soil though, will it? I've seen a lot of changes on reddit's wishlist and one that stood out to me was making Gravity a pre-50 skill and moving some other abilities around. Being able to AOE earlier would be nice.

ebil

My AST is only 49 but even just a few hours' grinding in Northern Thanalan made me sick of Shuffle. Will that be a change to Luminiferous Aether? Even if they improve the aggro decrease, it won't be as good as a straight up aggro-dump like Sacred Soil though, will it? I've seen a lot of changes on reddit's wishlist and one that stood out to me was making Gravity a pre-50 skill and moving some other abilities around. Being able to AOE earlier would be nice.
Yeah, they pretty much say without saying outright that it is Luminiferous Aether's hate component that is going to be adjusted (well, "existing action(s)" if we want to be specific). There's a lot of ways they can tweak that so I wouldn't assume it's necessarily going to remain worse than Shroud of Saints' aggro dump. Currently, it is though!

To be honest there's many adjustments they can make to AST that would make sense one way or another so I'm in a "wait & see" state of mind on that one. Making Gravity a sub-50 skill would indeed be a neat QoL change for content synced to 50 but I'm not holding my breath.

BadRNG

He says explicitly that a full VIT tank in 3.2 is going to do less damage than a full STR tank at the same item level from 3.15, but they are intentionally doing this to somewhat reduce a tank's maximum damage output relative to DPS jobs.
It doesn't seem like it'll be that massive of a nerf, he goes on to say that with the new gear/ilevel increase you'll still feel like you're getting stronger. Therefore I assume it's a small nerf that will get made up for in gear fairly quickly. It would of been difficult to balance the STR/VIT so that we neither lost or gained dps so this isn't big surprise to me.
99% of tanks never even came close to their dps ceiling, or even wore full 5x STR accessories anyway, not sure why so many on the OF/reddit are upset about this

Skimming through the dengeki stuff, he mentions PLD dps being increased but still not at WAR/DRK level, partially because it's easier to play. I love how honest they are about that. No vit food changes, so it will effect damage. In regards to the dummy fight, he acknowledges that DRK MP is harder to manage without getting hit but that the healer/tank versions of the dummy are mostly just for fun, he also confirms that he is a jerk face.

He talks about the market board hopefully being more active/inclusive with item materials being easier to obtain/materia being more widespread/new battle content drops. You can get a daily and weekly quest for materia as well, so just outfitting a single job should be easy for casual players.

He expects Midas to be cleared by the top teams within two weeks(!). Heavy mechanic based fights but with lower dps check. Also specifically says there will be tank switches, and to please pay attention to debuffs.
WE ARE DOOMED

Sefirot Extreme will drop weapons, and he is the expected first stop before heading into Savage Midas since they will be useful there.

studyguy

They won’t modify the DPS offensive power because they think it’s balanced but they plan on improving the PLD DPS and the differences between tank and DPS stances and the defensive advantages that they offer to the party. Although PLD’s DPS will be increased to be close to DRK and WAR, PLD won’t be able to equal their DPS completely, because they have much better and easier to use defensive skills.

Hello old friend.
bench.jpg

iammeiam

On the bright side, think of all your alt-tab time!

He expects Midas to be cleared by the top teams within two weeks(!). Heavy mechanic based fights but with lower dps check. Also specifically says there will be tank switches, and to please pay attention to debuffs.
WE ARE DOOMED

Really curious to see both how the heavier mechanics go over with people who bailed on A3S due to the "strict DPS check" somehow making them fail adds or sluice/Protean or digi passes, and to see how the actual rDPS requirements shake out. A3S was around 6k to beat enrage, and 4S around 6400-6500 with sac strat. Given that they're apparently giving out weapon upgrades out of the gate, does 5S hold steady with the 4S rDPS goal? Drop down to 3 levels?

Maybe we can just ignore the tank swap.

Sefirot Extreme will drop weapons, and he is the expected first stop before heading into Savage Midas since they will be useful there.

I wish they'd go back to having Primals drop things other than weapons--It's essentially turned farming out 10 EX Primal kills into a step in raid progression since weapon upgrades are too big to pass up. I guess this puts Sephirot at probably 220? RIP Gordian Weapons and relics in that case; super bizarre to be that protective of i210 weapons to just immediately completely render them pointless on patch. If Sephirot is i220 their decision to withhold gobdip from Void Ark looks even more pointless.

Sorian

Banned
I wish they'd go back to having Primals drop things other than weapons--It's essentially turned farming out 10 EX Primal kills into a step in raid progression since weapon upgrades are too big to pass up. I guess this puts Sephirot at probably 220? RIP Gordian Weapons and relics in that case; super bizarre to be that protective of i210 weapons to just immediately completely render them pointless on patch. If Sephirot is i220 their decision to withhold gobdip from Void Ark looks even more pointless.

Every primal should come with a ring at the very least. The silliness of the "unique" gear mechanic is exacerbated when the keep the number of high level rings equal to the number of high level other accessories.

studyguy

Eh. We've been using the PLD/WAR combo for a while. PLD ended up only going Dark Knight on A4S but for Midas it probably won't matter as much.

We'll have to see what they do, but as it still seems... Giving someone a kit to be tanky in a game that doesn't reward being tanky still seems useless. I've been gearing towards my DRK relic just in case anyway. Looks like it'll come in use.

Arkeband

Banned
From the Degenki interview Slycer still doing work

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Everyone except tanks seemed to know this was coming. I don't know why having DPS-class DPS is something that tanks thought was either good for the game's balance or less gloat-worthy than having easily twice as much HP as any other role come 3.2.

Yoshida: The second half of the battle was starting at the end of that scene. After Sephirot falls off, he becomes huge and uses his ultimate technique. After that, he remains that size for the rest of the fight.
By gawd, they actually did it, they actually decided to try something new in fight design.

iammeiam

More Dengeki things

Items to craft High Allagan gear will be in second coil but can be obtained unsynched.
Because of the upgrade to crafted equipment they decided not to put crafted weapons for the new crafted gear because they feared that it would be too strong for the DPS, although graphics and data of the weapons were already made.

T6 farm time guys. Also wtf @ the weapon decision. Just specialized into BSM yesterday. Good life choices go.

Also lol:
In 3.3 there will be a new 1-4 players battle content coming, so no new diadem map.

Loldiadead

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't think you're looking at A3S DPS checks in the right way. In addition to the overall enrage there's specific Equal Concentration and Hand of Get The Healer Outta There checks that are heavier than everything else in the fight (and the fight doesn't care you have to do them).

I've been struggling to understand just what is it that makes A3S and A4S so much more impenetrable compared to all the other fights. It probably has to do with density of personal responsibility combined with very small amounts of breathing room but it's weird. If we take Cascade phases for example there's so much going on for every given person but it's not like Cascade sequences made people stuck? Rafflesia could present a lot more brain-scratching moments in progression comparatively but that fight always felt like a joke once you knew what was up. Is it the overall damage levels demanding higher levels of precision?

So, what makes fights by Mitsutoshi Gondai just that much more fun and enjoyable? Is it the dance? It's usually more fanciful, but at the same time easier to process? His fights are usually like puzzles, hard to figure out, easy to perform, but again, A3S doesn't seem that hard to figure out?

I don't even know, man. It could be just the DPS check mentality which doesn't allow people to simply stop and solve the puzzle like you would in Second Coil. I guess if you look at something like Phoenix it is undeniably hella less intense, but there is some really strong DPS check in play there as well?

Basically, would Living Liquid and The Manipulator have been fun if they were just the same, but with lesser DPS and healing requirements?

There's a very delicate balance to strike in what makes a fun raid encounter.

By gawd, they actually did it, they actually decided to try something new in fight design.
...Cloud of Darkness?

iammeiam

I don't think you're looking at A3S DPS checks in the right way. In addition to the overall enrage there's specific Equal Concentration and Hand of Get The Healer Outta There checks that are heavier than everything else in the fight (and the fight doesn't care you have to do them).

No, I account for those. These only make DPS the problem if they're wiping you consistently, and neither of the burst check spots is out of line for a burst check given the overall raid DPS needed for the fight. And for months of "Oh god the A3S DPS requirement is insane!" that's not where I was seeing groups get stuck. Cascade picking off people, bad sluice/protean positioning, failing to pass Digititis, people dying during hand gaol splashes, adds phase inconsistencies, nonexistent Embolus strategies are all completely unrelated to enrage or burst checks, but usually where runs would start falling apart. My point is more if you look at groups who are wiping for months at a stretch, it's usually more about failing the mechanics than either failing a burst check or hitting hard enrage every pull forever. If Midas lowers the overall raid DPS requirement but keeps the same approach to mechanics we saw in 3, I don't think it'll be well received The DPS check in three was never the problem long-term, just the scapegoat.

Basically, would Living Liquid and The Manipulator have been fun if they were just the same, but with lesser DPS and healing requirements?

There's a very delicate balance to strike in what makes a fun raid encounter.

Overgearing seems to have more or less answered this. Living Liquid was and is fun and still one of the better designed encounters in the game to me, but people who didn't like the guy at i195 tend to still not like him at i210. Manipulator didn't get any more fun when Thordan Weapon Carry moved our focus from trying to meet the DPS check to just trying not to die en route to kill because nothing that fight asks of you is terribly rewarding even when the DPS pressure is off. Arguably, the DPS and healing checks are the only things Manipulator has going for him and a few weeks into 3.2 he'll be a faceroll, but still tedious and unexciting.

I guess my main point is DPS is the whipping boy for much bigger problems--people don't like pass/fail mechanics that require planning and actually penalize failure. It's more the lack of being able to fail repeatedly and still clear on that seems to stick with people (see also: the popularity of Thordan. Relaxed DPS check, but more importantly recoverable as all hell. Minimal punishment for most failures.) If Midas punishes failure as harshly, I'm expecting it to go over poorly even if the DPS requirement is lower.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well if they're comparing it to Final Coil then it's gonna be hella easier because Final Coil basically involved a minimal amount of instant group punishments. There was nothing like "Oh no, Manipulator got a stack, just die", "Oh no, tank is dead, now Quarantine is fucked and basically just die", "Oh no I killed a doll, time do die" where completely trivial mechanics otherwise would just arbitrarily knock out a run. T12? Hella recoverable. T11 was always a joke, you could take a couple of tether ticks without a care in the world, Kaliya wouldn't suddenly start taking endless damage up stacks that meant the run was over.

A little more personal responsibility, a little less arbitrary punishment. That's how Ravana works, that's how Thordan works, that's how Titan works, that's how most SCOB-FCOB fights worked.

Of course, there will be people that hate this approach more. People that whine that their brain just can't seem to process the routines such as fire in/out or a simple if-then combination of "Got a blue tether? Just go to the blue marker you dipshit". But for people with functioning mental capabilities those were easy, and with lots of leeway.

As long as there's no new Melusine.

BadRNG

So PLD will still suck and MNK will still be useless.
Useless? Yeah it must be so bad for them, having the best single target DPS and the best melee aoe DPS in the game. With the limit break changes I would not be surprised if we see WAR/DRK/NIN/DRG/MNK/MCH/SCH/WHM being the new "all the dps" set up. If you want to give MNK any utility buffs so it can do more than Dragon Kick, they would need a DPS nerf to go with it.

Everyone except tanks seemed to know this was coming. I don't know why having DPS-class DPS is something that tanks thought was either good for the game's balance or less gloat-worthy than having easily twice as much HP as any other role come 3.2.
Not against tank damage nerf but come on now, they are/were not DPS class level DPS. They were, at best, close behind the worst DPS's classes dps. Assuming equal gear/skill/fight circumstance.

. Also wtf @ the weapon decision. Just specialized into BSM yesterday. Good life choices go.
Bright side is you wasted Rin's time and not just your's, that sort of balances it out, right?

I've been struggling to understand just what is it that makes A3S and A4S so much more impenetrable compared to all the other fights. It probably has to do with density of personal responsibility combined with very small amounts of breathing room but it's weird. If we take Cascade phases for example there's so much going on for every given person but it's not like Cascade sequences made people stuck? Rafflesia could present a lot more brain-scratching moments in progression comparatively but that fight always felt like a joke once you knew what was up. Is it the overall damage levels demanding higher levels of precision?

So, what makes fights by Mitsutoshi Gondai just that much more fun and enjoyable? Is it the dance? It's usually more fanciful, but at the same time easier to process? His fights are usually like puzzles, hard to figure out, easy to perform, but again, A3S doesn't seem that hard to figure out?

I don't even know, man. It could be just the DPS check mentality which doesn't allow people to simply stop and solve the puzzle like you would in Second Coil. I guess if you look at something like Phoenix it is undeniably hella less intense, but there is some really strong DPS check in play there as well?
See the thing is none of the hands are real DPS checks, they are don't be stupid checks. You don't need high DPS for any of them, you need smart DPS. Same way for add phase actually. Hitting a certain number isn't as important as distributing it properly. It's just not enough people seem to know how to plan for burst or save cooldowns. The second gaol is probably the closest thing to a real dps test (assuming you LB the first), and even that one is not excessive.

The only thing that really sets savage 3/4 apart from rest of game is that it covers both difficulty grounds rather than just one. The vast vast majority of fights in the game fall into either the DPS check or the mechanic check category, often times just alternating at different points. It's much rarer for it to require both from you the entire time. Add in generally higher DPS requirement, so people could no longer be carried as easily as they were in coil, and the roadblock it caused makes sense for the most part. I do think a large group of people threw in the towel before really trying though, they let the reputation of the fight scare them before seeing what the big deal was. This is especially true for AS4, but even in AS3 several groups gave up during mechanic-learning phase and cried DPS wall when they never actually ran into a serious dps wall.

I don't know who that is, but if he was second coil guy then hell no, Second Coil was the worst coil tier and if not for AS4 I'd probably say worse than Gordias. AS4 vs T9 is really all that saves it.

Living Liquid is fun. Manipulator could not be saved without a fight overall IMHO. You could make it more tolerable if it was less dps or healing needed, just in the sense that it's over easier and you can go do something else, but it would not actually make the fight fun. It's just too long, too static, and too boring.

I think the key to making a fun fight is finding a balance of challenging mechanics, but without compromising the "feel" of the fight. If at any point you feel like you are fighting the dance, or even your group, rather than the actual boss I think you failed. This is why I think Final Coil was the epitome of their raid design, or why something like Titan EX is so great. There are mechanics you have to be mindful of, you have to learn a dance, but you are always actively engaged with the boss and it's all very well paced. It either builds on itself or the new mechanics are not obtuse, it's doesn't feel like arbitrary nonsense.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I guess my main point is DPS is the whipping boy for much bigger problems--people don't like pass/fail mechanics that require planning and actually penalize failure.
Didn't a lot of people have the same complaints about Coil? I swear that was a thing there too and if it was... I guess not much has changed in that respect?

Valor

Manip, no. Liquid? Yes. The dance is still fun, imo, and the timing and the synchronization is actually what I like about it. Not doubling a friend with protean, dodge the ball, split for sluice, bait the waves. All great stuff to me.

The bad parts of Manip/Liquid are the parts where you are not actively fighting the boss and are doing busy work. Add Phase. Four legs. I'd rather take Manipulator, give him all of the HP of the legs and make him add a mechanics at different HP levels, eventually culminating in what is the final phase rotation because that shit is the best part of the fight (and actually really fun for me?). Or start with crazy huge amounts of mechanics and slowly legs become available to attack so you switch dps to legs and disable his attacks similar to t2 ball gauntlet. That could have been fun.

I guess my main point is DPS is the whipping boy for much bigger problems--people don't like pass/fail mechanics that require planning and actually penalize failure. It's more the lack of being able to fail repeatedly and still clear on that seems to stick with people (see also: the popularity of Thordan. Relaxed DPS check, but more importantly recoverable as all hell. Minimal punishment for most failures.) If Midas punishes failure as harshly, I'm expecting it to go over poorly even if the DPS requirement is lower.
100% yes. It's really the truth of needing a perfect run to get that first kill. When we finally downed A4, I had told another member of our group that we just needed one good run and we would see a kill. Cue wiping to dumb shit for a whole raid night, but then our next one we cleared it on attempt number 3 or 4 when our MT decided to stop eating Fractures by himself (Hi Rae <3). But it's all good since he's bought me ice cream.

I digress. You need a perfect or near perfect run to clear, and that's just a lot to ask of people running your content. Another issue is that like... the fights are lengthy and there are a lot of wipe it up mechanics in play, so it's a long way to get back to where you were. 13 minute fights are marathons, y'know? Especially when nothing intense begins until the like 7 minute mark or some shit. I don't know fight timings off the top of my head.

tl;dr I agree this could still be a problem. They need to make mechanics less intense or less punishing for failures, but then the difficulty is almost gone. Almost. I guess in a perfect world I would like you to have a very good nearly flawless run the first time low geared, then allow more mistakes as you get gear to help you get through that stuff. Coil worked relatively similarly, and I think it was better for it. I guess it doesn't help the people who gave up at a3s though. Hm.

I don't know who that is, but if he was second coil guy then hell no, Second Coil was the worst coil tier and if not for AS4 I'd probably say worse than Gordias. AS4 vs T9 is really all that saves it.

I think the key to making a fun fight is finding a balance of challenging mechanics, but without compromising the "feel" of the fight. If at any point you feel like you are fighting the dance, or even your group, rather than the actual boss I think you failed. This is why I think Final Coil was the epitome of their raid design, or why something like Titan EX is so great. There are mechanics you have to be mindful of, you have to learn a dance, but you are always actively engaged with the boss and it's all very well paced. It either builds on itself or the new mechanics are not obtuse, it's doesn't feel like arbitrary nonsense.

predator-you-son-of-a-bitch-patch-6568.jpg

scy

Everything about weapons in Heavensward is weird. It's like they threw out any sense of figuring out they want it to work in favor of ... well, I guess they just want more of them to exist? Primals not having an accessory option is still baffling to me, but I may also just be wanting options for a better chance at avoiding a +Parry slot in my future.

Protecting i210 and then immediately throwing it out on 3.2 release is weird. And I'll say that it's pretty awkward to have Alex Normal and Sephirot farming alongside the release of Savage just in terms of everything competing for time and attention. But I guess that was part of the "why delay Savage?!" complaint for initial release.

Not really? Equal Concentration / Hand of Pain isn't that strict, 4% to one of the hands is around 6-6.5k rDPS. Both Gaols are about the same, given stuns / slows are there (you have up to 25 seconds to deal 130k and still have some time to get into position for Digititis but they get there in half that time unhindered).

I guess Gaols stand out as a bit harder since you're technically down three possible people for DPSing?

Useless? Yeah it must be so bad for them, having the best single target DPS and the best melee aoe DPS in the game. With the limit break changes I would not be surprised if we see WAR/DRK/NIN/DRG/MNK/MCH/SCH/WHM being the new "all the dps" set up. If you want to give MNK any utility buffs so it can do more than Dragon Kick, they would need a DPS nerf to go with it.

A lot of this comes down to the mobility things they mentioned. It might be more nightmarish for the melee than ranged and BLM can keep their top DPS throne. Their SSPD scaling in general will make them rise a lot too as the gear improves.

I do wonder if they want to outright do a thing ala T11 to make you not want to do 100% Physical or 2x Caster comps.

Bright side is you wasted Rin's time and not just your's, that sort of balances it out, right?

such netflix time though

Think of those poor wasted leve allowances, the true victim.

The only thing that really sets savage 3/4 apart from rest of game is that it covers both difficulty grounds rather than just one. The vast vast majority of fights in the game fall into either the DPS check or the mechanic check category, often times just alternating at different points. It's much rarer for it to require both from you the entire time. Add in generally higher DPS requirement, so people could no longer be carried as easily as they were in coil, and the roadblock it caused makes sense for the most part.

It's also one of the few fights to just throw the DPS check at you outright: Hand of Pain is 2:15 into the fight and it's a binary make-or-break thing that is indicative of the overall enrage. A4S's enrage timer is an actual threat so making certain times throughout the fight really matters.

I've been pretty adamant on liking A3S and it's basically for that reason. I think it presents the mechanics as a whole fairly well and it's a fun DPS and mechanics check overall. It flubs a bit, Wash Away being a bit of a mess, but it's just a pretty solid fight for the most part. A4S, though, feels more like they had some kind of idea for specific mechanics of the fight and then designed around that? Not sure if that's the right wording but there's an interesting fight in those mechanics they gave us but not in the combination they gave us and it feels like they stuck with some design instead of switching gears at some point.

basically, why didn't I divebomb the raid when leaving quarantine

iammeiam

Cue wiping to dumb shit for a whole raid night, but then our next one we cleared it on attempt number 3 or 4 when our MT decided to stop eating Fractures by himself (Hi Rae <3). But it's all good since he's bought me ice cream.

Is this bait because it looks like bait. :|

(For people progressing on A4S: please for the love of god don't make the MT peel off the boss and run around the map to bait Fracture. Rotate, move the stack, no downtime, no MT guessing the wrong trajectory for the orb's turn. Watching people die to this makes me go all Tyra "WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!".)

Top Bottom