• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Just jumped back into this and wanted to start fresh (previous main was 43 DRG) but I'm thinking something new. I'm on a completely new server and rolled a Highlander Gladiator (I think it's Highlander anyways, it's the human looking one with high stats for a tank). So far I do like it a lot actually, I'm just curious how good Paladins are endgame? I honestly can't decide between Paladin, White Mage, or Black Mage.

I did tanking and healing in WoW for a long time and did healing in ESO but for some reason it look's really enticing in FF14:ARR. I guess my ultimate question is, how hard is it to pug tank leveling up and end-game as a Paladin? Will I find myself in trouble a lot or difficult overall?

Same question for WHM; would this be something I have to play for 1000 hours to get really good at? I work a lot during the week so I'd like to jump in here and there and play for 2 hours max.

Black Mage looks super exciting, but the mobility thang kind of bums me out, I hear it's harder for them at Heavensward end-game, is this true?

I guess race doesn't matter, but I'd definitely go highest MND for WHM and highest INT for BLM

Arkeband

Banned
Well, I'm hoping they start off the drop-rate somewhere above where the initial drop rates for the first three ponies were. Considering that people still farm for ponies even when the drop rate is so high is proof that you don't need an absurdly low drop rate to keep people coming back.

Mind you, I don't want it to be TOO high either. Going straight to the current pony drop rate would be a little excessive.

The current pony rate is still low enough where it feels like a chore.

aceface

Just jumped back into this and wanted to start fresh (previous main was 43 DRG) but I'm thinking something new. I'm on a completely new server and rolled a Highlander Gladiator (I think it's Highlander anyways, it's the human looking one with high stats for a tank). So far I do like it a lot actually, I'm just curious how good Paladins are endgame? I honestly can't decide between Paladin, White Mage, or Black Mage.

I did tanking and healing in WoW for a long time and did healing in ESO but for some reason it look's really enticing in FF14:ARR. I guess my ultimate question is, how hard is it to pug tank leveling up and end-game as a Paladin? Will I find myself in trouble a lot or difficult overall?

Same question for WHM; would this be something I have to play for 1000 hours to get really good at? I work a lot during the week so I'd like to jump in here and there and play for 2 hours max.

Black Mage looks super exciting, but the mobility thang kind of bums me out, I hear it's harder for them at Heavensward end-game, is this true?

I guess race doesn't matter, but I'd definitely go highest MND for WHM and highest INT for BLM

All classes are viable for endgame. There's occasional imbalance issues, but PLD is actually supposed to get a buff, maybe, next week. PLD is probably the least complex of the tanks to play if that interests you.

This game is super casual friendly, yes you can only play a few hours here and there and still dabble in endgame. If you really want to clear the hardest raid when it's current it will take more of a time commitment.

Race hardly matters for your stats, don't worry about that.

WolvenOne

The current pony rate is still low enough where it feels like a chore.

Last time I helped people with a pony farm, they dropped every few clears. If you put in the exact same drop rate, statics would plow through each primal and get everyone a pony in fairly short order. That hardly gives people long term incentive to run these trials. Granted, it would be good for pick up groups, since they don't clear anywhere near as consistently as a good static, but still.

Mind you, I certainly do NOT want these drop rates to be absurdly low. I'd hope for at least a 10% drop rate, hopefully a little higher.

iammeiam

There's a new interview out in Famitsu and Slycer has some preliminary info. DPS Tanks rejoice, Paean might not be trash in 3.2 (emergency Throttle backup! Now that nobody cares), nothing about MCH buffs so it's all uninteresting.

The interview is out and I'm working on translation. Warden's Paean will essentially have the effect of Esuna added, so it can both remove current debuffs and prevent future ones. They also said the cast and recast would be adjusted to be suitable for the effects.

For tanks, no nerfs, all positive adjustments. Likely no or very minor changes to warrior (specifically mentioned no Fell Cleave nerf). The adjustments focused primarily on upgrading the effects of the stances to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each as well as balance the three jobs (no specifics).

As anything significant comes up, I'll post some new info. Otherwise, hold out for the full translation, hopefully by tonight.

All classes are viable for endgame. There's occasional imbalance issues, but PLD is actually supposed to get a buff, maybe, next week. PLD is probably the least complex of the tanks to play if that interests you.

This game is super casual friendly, yes you can only play a few hours here and there and still dabble in endgame. If you really want to clear the hardest raid when it's current it will take more of a time commitment.

Race hardly matters for your stats, don't worry about that.

Thanks :) I'll probably just stick with GLA/PLD for the time being and see how I like it after 30-ish.

scy

There's a new interview out in Famitsu and Slycer has some preliminary info. DPS Tanks rejoice, Paean might not be trash in 3.2, nothing about MCH buffs so it's all uninteresting.

MCH to gain a new turret that dispenses parses.

Edit: Also, it'snothappening.gif for Fell Cleave nerf.

The adjustments focused primarily on upgrading the effects of the stances to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each as well as balance the three jobs (no specifics).

All defensive cooldowns to require Tank Stance.

Twintania mount really should have been added as a drop to T5. I'm still a bit salty that it's tied to the stupid recruit-a-friend campaign.

Yeah, I was like the only one who had that mount in my FC. Always felt like a special snowflake riding it and doing divebombs. It is my main mount but I may change it to one ot these eagles. Dragon mounts are still the best though.

studyguy

So WAR will still be out here with the objectively best tank kit bar none. PLD and DRK will still be out here just fighting each other for the second slot. K.

BadRNG

So WAR will still be out here with the objectively best tank kit bar none. PLD and DRK will still be out here just fighting each other for the second slot. K.
That's the inherit advantages and disadvantages they talked about, PLD/DRK disadvantage is that they aren't WAR. WAR's advantage is that it is WAR.

WAR's disadvantage is they got the worst tank AF2 design.

studyguy

That's the inherit advantages and disadvantages they talked about, PLD/DRK disadvantage is that they aren't WAR. WAR's advantage is that it is WAR.

WAR's disadvantage is they got the worst tank AF2 design.

tjZ8Nkk.gif

Cmagus

Not enough people in the FC to farm these things, lol. I haven't even beaten Bismark or Ravana EX.

Most of the end-game folks in the FC have moved over to Blade and Boobies, or just don't do anything with the FC much anymore except working on some relic items and the airship. Our leader is kinda busy with Japanese gacha games.

PF is always... hit or miss. ._.
I can help you clear Ravana. I've been asking almost every night if anyone wants to come, its super easy. If you're on tonight I can run it with you.
Also I'm gonna try to get another static up and running again so if you're interested let me know.

Twintania mount really should have been added as a drop to T5. I'm still a bit salty that it's tied to the stupid recruit-a-friend campaign.
I have the Twintania mount and it's cool but it still needs a theme, it just uses the generic mount theme. I took advantage of the last humble bundle and bought 3 copies for $4.00. I gave some away and just made an account to use as a friend request. Next time this goes on sale I gotta get that red chocobo next, I need one more request for that.

Ataxia

Hey guys. I got to level 10 last night. Having fun... though the combat seems simple. A couple of questions:

1 - What is a "Bard" and do I need to get to it? As in, can't I just stay an archer?
2 - Is there a way to get gil? I teleported to the GAF guild house and it cost almost half of the pitiful amount that I had. On the marketboard there are items worth millions even...
3 - This new 3.2 expansion or whatever really won't have much of an effect on me, right? Will I be able to try the new things or is it all end game?

Guess Who

Banned
Hey guys. I got to level 10 last night. Having fun... though the combat seems simple. A couple of questions:

1 - What is a "Bard" and do I need to get to it? As in, can't I just stay an archer?
2 - Is there a way to get gil? I teleported to the GAF guild house and it cost almost half of the pitiful amount that I had. On the marketboard there are items worth millions even...
3 - This new 3.2 expansion or whatever really won't have much of an effect on me, right? Will I be able to try the new things or is it all end game?

1. Bard is basically archer with more skills. Once you have a level 30 archer and a level 15 pugilist you can unlock it by doing your job quests at the Archer's Guild. It's not significantly different than archer, so don't fear that it's gonna suddenly change the way you play.
Until level 52 lol :( :( :( :(

2. You'll get more gil once you start doing dungeons and trials. You also get gil from quests, and from selling stuff you aren't using. You can pick up a gathering or crafting class to make materials and items for people and sell those as well. Trust me, it won't be long before teleports cost chump change.

3. There will be balance changes and quality of life improvements that apply to everyone, but the biggest new content will be for endgame.

aceface

1. You can become a Bard after getting Archer to lv. 30 and Pugilist to lv. 15. You theoretically can stay an Archer but it's only worth it for lols or strange theory crafting. It you want to be a shooting arrows...person, you'll have to be a bard.

2. Just do story quests and some side quests and they will give you enough Gil to get by.

3. Most 3.2 stuff is for people at level cap yes. They are introducing some QoL stuff that will be nice for everyone.

ETA SEE ARI REDUCED RATES IS FOR THIS GUY

ETA 1.2 oh yeah I forgot about Hall of Novice. They are adding that this patch, it's a thing you go to before your first dungeon and it teaches you how to play or something

BadRNG

Hey guys. I got to level 10 last night. Having fun... though the combat seems simple.
The combat is simple. That never really changes. Any difficulty is usually in just memorizing mechanics and not messing them up.

Bard is a job, they are basically upgraded versions of classes like archer. You can unlock them by having the base class at 30 and then one other specific class at 15. In Bard's case it is 30 archer and 15 pugilist. You could theoretically stay archer, but there is literally no real good reason to do so. Job's levels are shared with it's base class, you keep all your old skills, get new ones, and get a free stat boost. It's generally best to unlock your job as soon as you hit 30.

Honestly just do your main story quests, they give you lots of gil, at least enough to cover teleports/repairs/general misc costs. You can worry about making serious gil much later.

Majority of the content will be endgame, yeah. Off the top of my head the only things that will effect you right off the bat would be dyable starter gear, the new introductory trial/practice system that explains MMO stuff/roles, and I guess the mentor system. There's probably other things I'm forgetting but it's going to be relatively minor.

scy

Basically everyone covered all the things (hah, I remembered to refresh this time) but the only thing you can really do for low levels to help with gil is to take more of the Allagan pieces when offered as quest rewards; they'll sell to vendors for more than the gear and you can usually rely on dungeons for drops (and/or they give you so much gear you don't need to replace every single time the option is there). It's not a big deal but it'll help to get a few extra thousand here and there instead of armor you'll use for two quests and then vendor for 14 gil.

The Hall of the Novice stuff added next week is for about your level range (off-hand the set it rewards is supposed to be level 15) so you'll probably be beyond it by the time it releases. The rest of the patch is more focused towards level 60 things, though.

iammeiam

This is why you dye everything metallic purple. Too busy looking awesome to stop and sweat the game's frequently shoddy gear texture work (also a Lala advantage; stuffs too small to be that obvious.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Qvoth

ravana and bismarck mount looks cool, i probably won't bother though :<
hopefully hildebrand quests gives a mount, we've had minions from them already

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I would be okay with this, will stop PUG tanks going deliverance all the time.

So you want dungeons to go slower for no reason.
This will not stop tanks from going deliverance, they will just have less defensive capabilities.
And what about Thrill of Battle, is that a defensive cooldown? And Bloodbath? Not really, are they?
Oh, but it gets better. Berserk and Internal Release effectively make HP-restorative Equilibrium better which raises a WAR's survivability.
Do they count as defensive then?
Basically I am completely triggered by this catering-to-terrible-healers nonsense.

And then we get Sword Oath and Darkside.

MogCakes

It will only go slower if they stay in tank stance all the time. Know when to pop it on for CDs/off when danger level is low enough to go back to DPS stance.

iammeiam

Paean still useless, which is great, except for countering Tri-Disaster maybe, unless the twitter account is not full information and it gets to be instacast /30s CD, which is the only situation when Paean isn't worthless PVP trash.

Slycer's thing mentions they're changing cast and recast times, although specifics are of course a mystery; I'd assume instant oGCD is a given, and at that point it becomes at least better than it is now. Situational/rarely useful is still a rather major upgrade from the completely worthless it is now.

Admittedly this is mostly PTSD from a million Titan HM Trial Roulettes with healers that don't esuna the freaking debuff, but still.

iammeiam

Some more info from that page Angary linked earlier

Gordias unlock is going to be just like coil, can queue with full party starting Tuesday, echo, nerfs, and solo queue coming in a few weeks. Countdown to gobwalker farm parties begins!

Midas will have more of an emphasis on movement (??). Get hype.

oh my god

a4s just won't fucking die

NERF IT ALREADY. I HAVE BEEN WAITING MONTHS

(I still expect 6 WAR 2 healer clears day 1 of 3.2)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Some more info from that page Angary linked earlier

Gordias unlock is going to be just like coil, can queue with full party starting Tuesday; echo, nerfs, and solo queue coming in a few weeks. Countdown to gobwalker farm parties begins!

Midas will have more of an emphasis on movement (??). Get hype.

Fuck

That 2 second BLM buff making a bit more sense now if true. Haman called it
.unfortunately.

Top Bottom