• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Started this a few days ago again on Moogle (EU). Haven't played since Open Beta/First Month so I figure I need to catch up.
I also don't have the expansion but my FC says it's not necessary until 50.

I really like how it's not changed much in Early game so I can follow the steps I did before. Only major difference is there are not many people in the the starting areas (but still a decent amount of new players). No more lines in front of the sword in Central Shroud either. :p

As in the past I am putting an emphasis on the gathering/crafting jobs instead of the combat one (CNJ in my case). I really like the idea of gathering and crafting all by myself, without spending much, preparing for future combat challenges with great equipment and potentially making a lot of money. I am aware that this is way slower but I am in no hurry. Besides, it's also kind of relaxing. :)

We'll see how it pays off and how long I'll stay.
I'm sure you're aware, but you'll need to clear the main quest with a battle class to even get to the expansion area and leveling a gatherer there is very annoying/almost impossible without aether currents for flying unlocked in each zone.

Yeah, I know. The point isn't to abandon the combat class but to put the non-combat ones in equal or slightly bigger priority. Keeps it fresh since I'm never doing the same thing. Mostly. :p

I do want to beat the story, it's FF after all. I just feel like taking my time and not rushing.

Thorgal

Whenever i see a BLM cast fire iv I think : How in the 7 hells are they going to top that without blinding half the players screen :p

While the new content looks really cool my favorite addition in this patch is running the leveling duty roulette as a party. You mean I can get awesome EXP boosts for leveling my low level classes and NOT get a terribly shitty party finally? Awesome! Seriously leveling up my Ninja has been a god damn nightmare because of the amount of awful tanks and even worse healers I've gotten. Wiped 8 times on Aurum Vale because the tank was pulling too much and the healer couldn't keep him alive

Frumix

Suffering From Success
1AT68V2.jpg

I heard MCH wasn't good at 50

Omni

It is done!

Few days to spare. Ifrit's was the worst to get. Took almost two hours. Also I wonder what the drop rate will be on the new primal mounts. I like Ravana and Thordan Ex as much as the next guy, but I don't want to do them another 100 times.

Squishy3

It is done!

Few days to spare. Ifrit's was the worst to get. Took almost two hours. Also I wonder what the drop rate will be on the new primal mounts. I like Ravana and Thordan Ex as much as the next guy, but I don't want to do them another 100 times.
Yeah, I got mine finally a few days ago. Ifrit is a stingy bastard

Thorgal

Fellow Black mages who use a controller , what does your crosshotbar look like ?

I am trying a few out atm but i am curious what any of you have cooked up .

Omni

Yeah, I got mine finally a few days ago. Ifrit is a stingy bastard
The fight is just so dull. I hate healing it. I hate being DPS. Tanking isn't exactly the most exiting thing either. Makes even un-synced runs feel like an eternity.

Just a mess o:

GAF, I'm having a bit of a puzzle. I'm a SMN lv60. Literally I'm just trying to get through the story, but it won't let me do the Aetherical Complex lv60 raid because I need an item level of at least 142. Thing is I've done every main story mission and I was only on 137. So I bought a bunch of new armour from the node in Azys La but (apart from the new clothes being horrid and making me look like Harley Quinn's sluttier cousin), they only get me up to iL140.

So I'm having a look around Idyllshire and I see the shop with higher level armour and weapons, but need Allagan Law dealies to buy them. So I've been doing daily trials and raids for a few days now, JUST in order to get to ilv142 so I can finish the fucking story. Is it supposed to be this way? Is there any other easy way to raise iLV other than tirelessly grind every day, because that's a huge-ass barrier to enjoyment right there. Or have I missed something crucial along my journey?

be gentle this is my first MMO

Squishy3

GAF, I'm having a bit of a puzzle. I'm a SMN lv60. Literally I'm just trying to get through the story, but it won't let me do the Aetherical Complex lv60 raid because I need an item level of at least 142. Thing is I've done every main story mission and I was only on 137. So I bought a bunch of new armour from the node in Azys La but (apart from the new clothes being horrid and making me look like Harley Quinn's sluttier cousin), they only get me up to iL140.

So I'm having a look around Idyllshire and I see the shop with higher level armour and weapons, but need Allagan Law dealies to buy them. So I've been doing daily trials and raids for a few days now, JUST in order to get to ilv142 so I can finish the fucking story. Is it supposed to be this way? Is there any other easy way to raise iLV other than tirelessly grind every day, because that's a huge-ass barrier to enjoyment right there. Or have I missed something crucial along my journey?

be gentle this is my first MMO
The vendor in Azys Lla sells gear that should bump you up enough for it and the two level 60 dungeons that you can unlock after beating the story.

scy

Re-run the Library to get accessories to finish off getting your ilvl up. That last little bit to get to Research Facility is mostly dependent on your drop luck. That said, I think you should have gotten a decent set of accessories from side quests as well?

The vendor in Azys Lla sells gear that should bump you up enough for it.

Which they said they already did :x

Re-run the Library to get accessories to finish off getting your ilvl up. That last little bit to get to Research Facility is mostly dependent on your drop luck. That said, I think you should have gotten a decent set of accessories from side quests as well?

Which they said they already did :x

Yeah I heard about doing the library - guess I'll give that a few runs. But man I was way short for my level compared to other people I've talked to. Knew I should've done more side quests, I missed quite a few out in pursuit of the story. :x

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how you guys deal with AoE spamming DPS while tanking? In dungeons, it feels that no matter what they take aggro off me. Level 20 GLA here.

I'm a bit of a noob with tanks in MMOs, never played a tank before but since this game allows class switching without penalty decided to give it a go. I'm enjoying it, it's easier when the DPS do one target abilities definitely.

Talaysen

Yeah I heard about doing the library - guess I'll give that a few runs. But man I was way short for my level compared to other people I've talked to. Knew I should've done more side quests, I missed quite a few out in pursuit of the story. :x

I think you can get accessories from leves (with those amber item things that show up in treasure coffers). There's a vendor near the leve area in Foundation that you can check for those. Can also try looking at the market board for some accessories but I don't know if there will be any up for cheap.

Library might still be the best way if you don't want to spend money though.

Noi

how you guys deal with AoE spamming DPS while tanking? In dungeons, it feels that no matter what they take aggro off me. Level 20 GLA here.

I'm a bit of a noob with tanks in MMOs, never played a tank before but since this game allows class switching without penalty decided to give it a go. I'm enjoying it, it's easier when the DPS do one target abilities definitely.

You're gonna have issues with that as GLD / PLD all the way up until you get your tank stance at level 40. Even then, that class has the weakest AoE emnity generation, best you can do is just Flash often and spread the finishing attack on your Rage of Halone combo (which you'll get at level 26) among different enemies.

scy

A side effect of them increasing the dungeon EXP so much as well so you most likely didn't end up doing Vault / Library like 20 times combined.

AoE threat more, basically. Tab target through things to put your big threat combo hits (e.g., Rage of Halone when you get it) one what needs the threat the most rather than dumping everything into the one target.

For what it's worth, assuming there's enough targets, AoEing things down is generally better overall so you'd rather them doing that anyway. At the very least running DoTs on all the targets instead of just one.

I think you can get accessories from leves (with those amber item things that show up in treasure coffers). There's a vendor near the leve area in Foundation that you can check for those. Can also try looking at the market board for some accessories but I don't know if there will be any up for cheap.

Library might still be the best way if you don't want to spend money though.

Cheers, I'll have a look at the leves; I tried it before but got impatient. Nothing on the market board, at least there's no way I'm paying 400, 000 for a damn hat. Library it might have to be.

Valor

I think a common mistake I see a lot of lower GLDs do is that they'll grab a pack, flash once, and then go into single target rotation. That's the best way to lose hate almost instantly. Flash has a good chunk of enmity built into it, but you're going to want to use it more than once a pull. There's no reason to save your MP as a GLD/PLD in dungeons. Until you get Rage of Halone, you're going to want to open with Shield Lob -> Flash once the group gets close to you. Whichever target you want to attack first should get your 1/2 on it and then hit Flash again. Rinse and repeat as needed. Be sure to cycle your targets and check their threat levels. Once you get Halone, you can drop that combo on target number 1, Flash once to keep enemies stuck to you, then you can either single target or spread the Halone combo around on the different mobs to keep them stuck to you.

Really you just want to do something in response to what kind of DPS you're getting. If people are AoE'ing, just drop flashes and check enmity every so often while choosing a target to focus your own attacks on. If people are single targetting, be sure to drop flash once in a while to keep healer enmity in check. Once you get a feel for it it becomes pretty easy to manage hate. If you can manage hate on a GLD you can manage hate on either of the other two tanks with ease.

dcye

This guy knows what's up.

I still need 5 cards thanks to not doing tournament stuff until recently and being unlucky with BisEX and Thordan, but with new pony mounts making them relevant again I should be getting those cards pretty early into patch, and I should top the next few tourneys for the cards I need (currently on top in the Spinners Pull for Cecil). Looking forward to having to grind hundreds of thousands of MGP again.

I just had my first wipe ever on Echidna in Void Ark. I never had ANY difficulty with that fight but I went in after resubbing and this alliance wiped twice. Lol, never even knew it could be difficult. I guess I was just lucky all those tries. Wow, I'm kind of shocked I was part of that wipe :(

Omni

Tanking is a huge pain without the proper stance to build up a bit of enmity.

Even now that I have a level 60 tank it feels like a constant struggle in some of those low level dungeons to maintain hate. But yeah, as the others have said. Make sure you're flashing multiple times during pulls. Gear is a lot of it too as a tank, so you'll want to get on top of that and make sure you're at a respectable level before queuing into instances. You can kinda get away with being undergeared more on healers and DPS.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Thanks for the tips guys. So far at level 20 I open with Shield Lob for pulling followed by using Flash twice, then I settle into the enmity increase combo and pop in a flash every now and then, all this while popping a defensive CD or two, depending on the pull and number of enemies.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks for the tips guys. So far at level 20 I open with Shield Lob for pulling followed by using Flash twice, then I settle into the enmity increase combo and pop in a flash every now and then, all this while popping a defensive CD or two, depending on the pull and number of enemies.
Replies to your post made me feel relieved - I leveled both GLD and MRD from 20 to 30 recently and thought that I'm the worst tank in the world because of not being able to hold aggro at all times, especially when dealing with groups, despite theoretically doing everything correctly (enmity combos etc.).

Valor

Are you feeling a difference in terms of being able to keep enemies on you? Hopefully it's going well.

On another note, it's so weird to say goodbye to Alex Gordias. A part of our lives for so long and soon it'll be relegated to joke status when hit with a nerf bat like First Coil was. What an odd feeling. At least I managed to get a 3.1 souvenir. Good night, sweet prince.

"On another note, it's so weird to say goodbye to Alex Gordias. A part of our lives for so long and soon it'll be relegated to joke status when hit with a nerf bat like First Coil was. What an odd feeling. At least I managed to get a 3.1 souvenir. Good night, sweet prince"

I'm glad to move on from Gordias but I still want to clear savage. My friends on the server are mostly casual though so I have been trying with the PF sadly. I didn't really like Gordias but the OST was downright amazing. Usually Alexander is depicted as some holy figure in FF so it was a nice change, imo. As far as mechanics go, it wasn't that interesting, imo. Much more of a raid people can sleep on unlike coils. I am so looking forward to Alexander: Midas though.

Edit: Talking about the normal version being easy.

RaeKasl

Neo Member
Are you feeling a difference in terms of being able to keep enemies on you? Hopefully it's going well.

On another note, it's so weird to say goodbye to Alex Gordias. A part of our lives for so long and soon it'll be relegated to joke status when hit with a nerf bat like First Coil was. What an odd feeling. At least I managed to get a 3.1 souvenir. Good night, sweet prince.

You are welcome Galen.

Squishy3

Once you get used to keeping enmity at these levels it shouldn't ever really be an issue again except for maybe when you become a fresh 60 and are running in like i150 gear with people in i200+ gear.

iammeiam

I'm not quite ready to pour one out for Pepsiman yet; while tomorrow will be the last time people confront him with anything resembling intended gearing, I think he has a few more weeks of at least being a semblance of his former self. Manipulator's days are done, though; all he had was his harsh tuning and i220 coming to make him a shadow of his former self.

Post-nerf A3S will make me sad because it's still one of the best examples of group jump rope the game's ever had, and we're unlikely to get another. Post-nerf/echo/full i220 A4S will be fantastic, though. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fight. And this will increase the number of gobwalker mounts spider scrabbling around Eorzea, so what's not to love?

At least I managed to get a 3.1 souvenir. Good night, sweet prince.

Shoulder spikes and a crotch flag; TBH the crotch flag is the only reason I don't see Gordias chest pieces having much of a glamour lifespan.

I'm glad to move on from Gordias but I still want to clear savage. My friends on the server are mostly casual though so I have been trying with the PF sadly. I didn't really like Gordias but the OST was downright amazing. Usually Alexander is depicted as some holy figure in FF so it was a nice change, imo. As far as mechanics go, it wasn't that interesting, imo. Much more of a raid people can sleep on unlike coils. I am so looking forward to Alexander: Midas though.

Edit: Talking about the normal version being easy.

The normal versions don't have an ARR analogue, but Midas won't have Coil-tier challenge either. Normal was wildly succcessful as the kiddieproofed version and they won't mess with that. If you want any sort of Coil-esque challenge you'll have to go to Savage.

Wilsongt

New glitch discovered!

Make sure you have no bait equipped, stand in the water as a Fisher and do a dance. Choose cast and then start moving. You'll be dancing across the screen. Can use sprint, change jobs, and do some class abilities all while still dancing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
New glitch discovered!

Make sure you have no bait equipped, stand in the water as a Fisher and do a dance. Choose cast and then start moving. You'll be dancing across the screen. Can use sprint, change jobs, and do some class abilities all while still dancing.
Is that a new way of using the glitch discovered ~2 months ago?

Valor

You are welcome Galen.
I assume the chest piece was compensation for a lack of ice cream delivered by my delinquent brother? Woulda been nice to get the bug mount too. rip.

Shoulder spikes and a crotch flag; TBH the crotch flag is the only reason I don't see Gordias chest pieces having much of a glamour lifespan.
It really only goes well with itself. Especially with the arms and the legs. There's no other -armor- pieces for BRCH so the leg guards are unusable and the hood is pretty worthless because no /visor. At least I have the set now to keep in the closet until 4.0 rolls around and I can bust it out again or something.

On the subject of crotch flags, I'm for them. We need more drapey capey like things in this game that aren't full on dresses. I mean robes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Considering this is my first time ever seeing it, it's new to me, so I have no idea.

Use it before it gets patched out tomorrow. Just like buttcart racing.
I'm just asking because my friend showed it to me 2 months ago and I assumed that it'll be patched during the next maintenance. Couldn't believe they would leave something like this in the game for so long, so I assumed someone found a new way to trigger it.

Wilsongt

I'm just asking because my friend showed it to me 2 months ago and I assumed that it'll be patched during the next maintenance. Couldn't believe they would leave something like this in the game for so long, so I assumed someone found a new way to trigger it.

I can understand why patch it out, but it's so harmless and can be used for hilarious reasons. :( It's like YoshiP has a giant "No Fun Allowed" stamp.

Nothing more amusing than doing the Bomb Dance and using MCH abilities. You don't see your gun, but you add a lot more flourishes between the dance moves.

Cmagus

I can understand why patch it out, but it's so harmless and can be used for hilarious reasons. :( It's like YoshiP has a giant "No Fun Allowed" stamp.

Nothing more amusing than doing the Bomb Dance and using MCH abilities. You don't see your gun, but you add a lot more flourishes between the dance moves.
I was having a ton of fun with this tonight. Putting on the ghost costume and doing the most gentlemanly pose is hilarious and since the ghost outfit has no feet it looks like you are floating.

3.2 needs to come now, we finally finished getting our second static together and come Tuesday we should be ready to tackle Sephirot.

I promised everyone in my static a crafted chest piece or legs on the house depending on which is better, on the condition they of course pentameld it.

God I hope the recipe isn't too painful.

Moaradin

I'm not looking forward to melding raid gear. That's the main reason I stayed away from crafting gear... Melding is tedious and I don't want to be bothered with it.

BadRNG

The QoL fix of being able to meld without switching classes, and retrying with same materia if it fails, will make the actual applying part somewhat less tedious at least! Speeding up animation nice of them too.

Omni

I simply cannot afford any decent materia.

I really dislike that they seem to be catering content for people with loads of gil. Even the relic. Its purpose is so that people have a way of getting a decent weapon if they want to spend the time grinding, over raiding or whatever... Yet here I am on 52/80 with absolutely no way of paying the millions of gil required to get the crafted materials when I inevitably get there.

I have no problems with giving people the option to meld. But I don't believe it's very accessible for the majority of players.

The QoL fix of being able to meld without switching classes, and retrying with same materia if it fails, will make the actual applying part somewhat less tedious at least! Speeding up animation nice of them too.
Materia is no longer lost if the meld fails? Okay, that makes it a bit better

Top Bottom