• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tiops

So, I've been working on my ARR Beast Tribes for Relic and future stuff that requires it, but it takes ages to get just one rank for each of them. Is this right?

I need 150 reputation for a rank, and each quests gives me only 5, with a limit of 3 quests a day. Do I really need 10 days for only one rank?

So after my GLA hit 25 I went on the market board and bought some new gear because I felt squishy and I stumbled on Heavy Armor for my chest/legs but noticed that it removes my helm/feet or....I can swap the legs for feet. Is this normal? Does this ever open up and allow me to use all 4 pieces? The 2 armor pieces severely outweigh the 4 previous ones I had as far as defense/vit goes.

BadRNG

So after my GLA hit 25 I went on the market board and bought some new gear because I felt squishy and I stumbled on Heavy Armor for my chest/legs but noticed that it removes my helm/feet or....I can swap the legs for feet. Is this normal? Does this ever open up and allow me to use all 4 pieces? The 2 armor pieces severely outweigh the 4 previous ones I had as far as defense/vit goes.
No, certain pieces take up multiple gear slots, when comparing defense/vit you need to combine the potential leg/feet vs the single leg item. Same with chest. This type of gear is pretty rare and goes away almost entirely at 50, and completely past that.

also PS, don't waste gil leveling on MB gear. Quests usually keep you geared, along with dungeons.

BLCKATK

So, I've been working on my ARR Beast Tribes for Relic and future stuff that requires it, but it takes ages to get just one rank for each of them. Is this right?

I need 150 reputation for a rank, and each quests gives me only 5, with a limit of 3 quests a day. Do I really need 10 days for only one rank?

Yeah in A Realm Reborn the beast tribes took quite a bit of time to level up. They made a good change with the Heavensward ones to change that.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah in A Realm Reborn the beast tribes took quite a bit of time to level up. They made a good change with the Heavensward ones to change that.

If you focus on one tribe the time is about the same regardless of whether you are pre- or post- heavensward. The only change is post-heavensward there are more ranks so you rank up faster but getting to the end is still the same struggle.

yayaba

Hi guys, so I decided to try this game out after being a very casual WoW player (played back in 2005 for a year, then stopped). I picked WoW back up last week after missing every expansion pack since vanilla and I really don't like how much they've changed the game.

FF14 looks like it might be up my alley. Some questions:

1) Is the new player experience better than WoW's now? I despise the insane leveling that happens now with WoW where if you quest in one zone, you'll quickly outlevel most other zones and it seems like they're just trying to funnel everything to end game. I really like questing and taking a long time to hit max level cap (I know, I'm weird like that) and want to enjoy the tread mill. I'm assuming FF14 doesn't have the crazy experience curve that WoW has now?

2) Is it possible to get into Ultros still? Can I join the GAF Free Company if I play on another server?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kind of meh I have to wait till level 50 to get my NIN amor (I have some parts but not the chest piece), I want it naooo. I'm wearing a crappy looking chest piece just because it has good stats lol.

Ken

Hi guys, so I decided to try this game out after being a very casual WoW player (played back in 2005 for a year, then stopped). I picked WoW back up last week after missing every expansion pack since vanilla and I really don't like how much they've changed the game.

1) Is the new player experience better than WoW's now? I despise the insane leveling that happens now with WoW where if you quest in one zone, you'll quickly outlevel most other zones and it seems like they're just trying to funnel everything to end game. I really like questing and taking a long time to hit max level cap (I know, I'm weird like that) and want to enjoy the tread mill. I'm assuming FF14 doesn't have the crazy experience curve that WoW has now?

2) Is it possible to get into Ultros still? Can I join the GAF Free Company if I play on another server?

2) Ultros is open at certain times. I don't know how large that window is these days though or when it is. Free companies are limited to the server they're on so no.

spidye

Guys I need help

I am now at level 30 with my gladiator. Now I know I can change my class to conjurer in order to get to the paladin class but should I do it now or later when I have all the traits and actions of the gladiator.

And if I changed it to the conjurer class and then back to gladiator do I have to start the gladiator class from scratch?

jorgeton

That moment when you pony up the extra coins for another retainer. Sigh.

1. I don't know anything about WoW, but if you like the grind, then this game is for you. The story does a great job of getting you to level 60 (which will take a while), and then you have other things like raiding, relic weapon grind, end-game equipment grind, triple triad grind, and lots more to work on.

2. Check out the OP for info on getting into the free company. Ultros should still have room for new people, but pro tip: do not try to get in to Ultros tonight. New patch is dropping so not only will the game be down all evening, I predict a large number of people trying to get in right after the new content is ready to get their world first clears or whatever.

Squishy3

1) The experience curve is greatly lessened now to get into the expansion, but you'll still hit a few sections where you need to gain a level or two to get to the next level required for the main scenario, but it's not like WoW where you just hit the level cap for a zone and then immediately go to the next one ignoring the quests that are supposed to send you there, it's split up into MSQ and then side quests, where the MSQ is what sends you from place to place while the sidequests serve as bonus experience for the zone you're currently in. The big thing they lessened is the item level grind once you hit 50, now the level 50 job quest and 2.1-2.55 quests (2.0 is the initial release of a Realm Reborn which covers 1-50 and everything after was added through the patch cycle) now give good enough equipment to help you meet the item level requirement for the last story trial (ilvl90 requirement) which gates progress into the expansion.

2)It's still possible to get into Ultros, but you'd need to try during off-peak hours, as character creation is restricted by load on the server and not how many characters are actually created on the server. So extremely late at night or early in the morning usually fares better in regards to creating a character. However, you'd probably have a rough time trying to get in tomorrow as the new patch is dropping that day..

creid

I don't remember the first rank taking that long, but once you're past the first rank you'll unlock another set of 3 quests per day, and at that point you should be able to take 6 quests per day from that beast tribe. Later on you may be able to take 9, but it may not be worth it depending on how much rep you need for those later ranks, and how many other beast tribes you're working on.

Squishy3

I don't remember the first rank taking that long, but once you're past the first rank you'll unlock another set of 3 quests per day, and at that point you should be able to take 6 quests per day from that beast tribe. Later on you may be able to take 9, but it may not be worth it depending on how much rep you need for those later ranks, and how many other beast tribes you're working on.
I tended to work on three at a time when it involves going from rank 1-2, then you can still go for 3 when you get just one to rank 2 (12 allowances a day, 6/3/3, but after you hit rank 3 with one you're better off dumping 9 daily allowances into one beast tribe and then doing the quests that give the highest rep for another beast tribe. Unless you're only doing it for the relic items, in which case you only need to do the quests that give 10 reputation, as they're the ones that give the tokens to redeem for the relic item that tribe offers.

I think it's about a month to get to max reputation with one beast tribe, IIRC.

Valor

Guys I need help

I am now at level 30 with my gladiator. Now I know I can change my class to conjurer in order to get to the paladin class but should I do it now or later when I have all the traits and actions of the gladiator.

And if I changed it to the conjurer class and then back to gladiator do I have to start the gladiator class from scratch?

You won't lose your levels in any classes by switching. There's also no reason not to go level conjurer to 15 and unlock Paladin. You're just going to end up missing out on skills as you continue to level your Gladiator up if you don't pick up Paladin, so you might as well just take a while and do that.

spidye

You won't lose your levels in any classes by switching. There's also no reason not to go level conjurer to 15 and unlock Paladin. You're just going to end up missing out on skills as you continue to level your Gladiator up if you don't pick up Paladin, so you might as well just take a while and do that.

I see. thanks for the clarification. will be a whole new experience coming from a tank to this.

I grinded maybe 2 hours in dravanian forelands to level my MCH. Wasn't going for crystals but I didn't get a single one throughout that whole fate party, lol. Seems like luck can get really bad and good.

Omni

How far away is maintenance?

Guys I need help

Haha, oh man. If this was the case I'd have given up a long time ago xD

Squishy3

What's everyone's plans for patch day?

For me, it's probably going to be going through story until I reach antitower, then go around unlocking the other stuff until other people get to that point and can run it with me. Then 8 man stuff like Sephirot/Gordias normal around 10pm since Tuesday's one of the days my static runs stuff.

For me, it's probably going to be going through story until I reach antitower, then go around unlocking the other stuff until other people get to that point and can run it with me. Then 8 man stuff like Sephirot/Gordias normal around 10pm since Tuesday's one of the days my static runs stuff.

Hopefully get some friends to run the new dungeons and maybe tackle the new trial and then Midas. I'm interested in the story, therefore I will probably do that first.

Thorgal

finally make my 980 ti sweat a little and play the game in 4K .

Aso made a new appearance for a paladin i plan to use post patch .

You cannot become a Dark knight before Heavensward content right ?

I'm gonna fish.

yayaba

Thanks for the responses on the leveling curve. I'm excited to try this game out!

I sure picked a terrible day though with the servers being shut down. There goes my Monday evening that I planned to play.

What's the significance of this patch? Large content updates? And how often does SE patch like this?

scy

Be really sad at all the markets overlooked pre-patch.

Probably right after that just check VIT v STR numbers or something.

Going to try out the new hairstyles, first, of course!

Jaeyden

Don't think anyone mentioned this but if you played WoW in 2005 this game will give you those same feels....except you can play solo for so much more content than you would have in 05 because PF is a thing and matchmaking is a thing.

iammeiam

> Call Manipulator's face stupid
> Instant 90k

I REGRET NOTHING

Market scrabbling; try to get a handle on what the crafted stuff is going to take. Give up, cry, accept our Midas Normal future.

Maybe unlock the dungeons? Maybe do some undersized SCoB to see if we can capitalize on the early early Allagan mat prices. If the eikonic gear uses primal drops, undersize the crap out of some primals.

Sephirot tomorrow night, though. Glamour over it with Mog gun. Go from there.

Thorgal

Thanks for the responses on the leveling curve. I'm excited to try this game out!

I sure picked a terrible day though with the servers being shut down. There goes my Monday evening that I planned to play.

What's the significance of this patch? Large content updates? And how often does SE patch like this?

it is a new update that expands the story , adds new dungeons and raids for endgame ads multiple QOL and new features in general and a crapton of new items .

Patches like this happen on a roughly 3 month basis

Full patchnotes here : http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/dc92bd9a97f91e1c95dc817a9c1e7412d9f4f549

it is a LOT !

obviously the new dungeon and raid is only for endgame

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Probably mess around with the main story stuff first. I'll try out the new dungeons and raids at night.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Fantasia again. Think about looking for a static. Maybe some Midas NM.

I feel the urge to level DRG a for some reason.

Tirod

Thank you again Victor for doing all those melds for me the last hour before server went down. :)

Not gonna be able to log in tomorrow until like 7PM (work + filing taxes) but the first thing I need to do on log in is get Lyndis some drill hair. And then I'm gonna fish for counterfoils with my new melds!

I'm easy to please.

Redx508

don't forget to use this if your lost on what to do. made by drama
h5yp69M.jpg

or if you want a site
Unlocking 3.2 Content – Where to Start!

Omni

Dunno what I'll do.

Maybe do a few story quests. Would rather go into the new dungeons with people I know for the first time though, so I'll probably hold off on those for a bit. Depends who is on when I'm playing, I guess!

Just check out all the new bits and pieces. Alex could be fun too

scy

Oh yeah, SSS. Probably see how low the tuning is for them to see if they'll actually be relevant bits of information (e.g., 1k for DPS but no mechanics!). I can't imagine them getting it that wrong but ... you never know, I suppose?

iammeiam

I'm curious to try the A4S one before I get any Gordias or Sephirot gear just to see if I can meet the individual DPS requirements or not.

I'm actually really interested in seeing what the requirements for the A4S one even are. I've wondered forever what math they were doing to come up with the 6700+ rDPS you need for Nisi with their supposed no healer, minimal tank damage requirement. I'm half expecting everything to be tuned ridiculously low, but maybe it'll turn out they expected 1.5k dps from all the DPS or something.

scy

In full VIT 100% Defiance stuff, I held ~650-ish so that probably puts like ... maybe 5.2k or so from the DPS? 1400 from 2 Melee, 1300 from a caster, 1100 from a ranged? Maybe? Gets a little weird when that is compared to a zero mechanics solo dummy parse situation though.

Top Bottom