• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

iammeiam

What was wrong with the translation?

The word flat out isn't there in the Japanese notes and doesn't make sense with the accepted naming scheme. Proto Midas appears on all the Midas normal stuff, while the Savage stuff including the weapons is just Midas.

The English version has Prototype Midan on the Midas normal stuff and the Savage weapons, while the Savage stuff is just Midan. Prototype as the English equivalent of Proto is fine, but it has no business being on the weapons because they're not the prototype version. They're the full-fledged Midas weapons (much like the A4S weapons were just Gordian, not Prototype Gordian.)

jschreier

Hey, let me ask you guys something. I've been binge-playing for the past few weeks and just hit level 43. I'm getting to this annoying point where I'm trying to do story quests and level up naturally but I'm not leveling fast enough to keep up with them. My next story quest right now, for example, is at 44. Is there a more seamless way to make progress or do I just have to do story quests until I hit each subsequent level gate and just grind levequests for a while between them?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hey, let me ask you guys something. I've been binge-playing for the past few weeks and just hit level 43. I'm getting to this annoying point where I'm trying to do story quests and level up naturally but I'm not leveling fast enough to keep up with them. My next story quest right now, for example, is at 44. Is there a more seamless way to make progress or do I just have to do story quests until I hit each subsequent level gate and just grind levequests for a while between them?
Pick up your challenge log from the adventurer's guild in Limsa Lominsa if you haven't already. There's a quest there for it. The log gives you chunks of exp for doing stuff every week.

Do you daily dungeon roulette (helps to eat cheap food here too for the exp boost).

Hit up some FATEs, especially after you get your challenge log.

Grisby

I would do dungeons for better loot and xp. That's what I've been doing with my Bard alt anyways.

Leves seem to take longer. Usually I can get a level after two or so dungeon runs.

Looking forward to diving right into the patch after work. Really want to do Sephirot EX as well (never got to do Ravana and Bismarck EX on release/while relevant). Hopefully the FC will be doing runs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
EM downed A5.
Meanwhile at Hummelfaust...
MQl0XmK.jpg

Omni

Have to say, doing Alex (normal) completely blind is a hell of a lot of fun. Cleared A7.

Love the arenas this time around too.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mana and Gaia data centers still down, this will probably stop Japanese players from getting world firsts for early floors.

studyguy

Initial 2.0 leveling was not exactly stellar back in the original launch areas, at certain points you'd definitely hit dry spots of experience. Dungeons are by far the fastest methods you'll find.

Otherwise you can also complete:
Daily roulettes
Challenge Logs
Hunting Logs (There is one per class)
FATE farming (At around level 46ish?, just going straight to Northern Thantalan and following the train of people doing fates will be the absolute fastest to 50)

The fact that I have to wait till 4PM to do anything is going to kill me.
I can't wait to get home and get railed on by people who bust other's balls for not knowing new content that just dropped today.

Qvoth

finished story, cleared the 2 dungeons and normal sephirot
will check out normal midas tomorrow i guess
sleipnir and nightmare still can't fly
LLShC.gif

In addition to what the others have said, you're around the level where you start unlocking beast tribe quests via quest givers at the HQ for each grand company. I think at your level, you can unlock Sylph dailies from the HQ in Gridania, and Amalja'a dailies from the HQ in Ul'dah. These are repeatable quests that offer XP and other rewards.

ebil

Finished Midas normal. The whole thing was a lot of fun in the end. A8 was significantly harder than anything Gordias had (going blind, with DF people).

Tanks who can't use cooldowns or tank swap (or never unlocked provoke) are going to get wrecked.

studyguy

Finished Midas normal. The whole thing was a lot of fun in the end. A8 was significantly harder than anything Gordias had (going blind, with DF people).

Tanks who can't use cooldowns or tank swap (or never unlocked provoke) are going to get wrecked.

laughing-hyur.gif

Who gets to 60 without ever doing a tank swap or unlocking provoke.

gryvan

If your behind levels and trying to catch up so that you can unlock story quests, the best way I found was to do a dungeon run once or twice or FATE grinding. The dungeon runs do give a huge amount of exp for a single run and it won't bore you out half the time unlike FATE grinding which you will probably get bored due to the repetitive nature of it.

ebil

laughing-hyur.gif

Who gets to 60 without ever doing a tank swap or unlocking provoke.
More people than you think? :|

Last time I did St Mocianne's Arboretum on NIN, my DRK tank died during Belladonna. I had to tank the rest of the fight on my NIN, because the guy didn't have Provoke.

My static's WAR met a Provoke-less DRK (see a pattern?) in A1 while doing his relic. Couldn't grab his Oppressor. I've seen similar stories on Reddit...

BadRNG

So does VIT give a damage increase? But is the damage increase of 1 VIT = to 1 STR? Or is it less because it's also giving HP?
Technically 1 VIT does equal 1 STR, but that's 3.2 STR. Used to it was 1 STR for every 1 Attack Power.

Now it is .45 attack power for either 1 vit OR 1 str. Since ilevel budgets allow for more vit per piece than str this is what let's vit be overall better dps wise now - with some exceptions depending on secondary stats - but all of this ends up being a large DPS loss compared to what we had in 3.0. Your right side accessories pretty much give about half what it used to, AP wise.

Vit = Str now but the bigger issue is the secondary stats on VIT gear are almost all junk.
lolparry
Well it's not that bad this tier, there is a no-parry fending piece for every accessory slot. Could end up being a problem with extra accuracy though.

Tiops

I had a 8-man party instantly abandoning a duty because the SCH in the team said she didn't have Swiftcast.

It was funny (but I also felt bad for the SCH). She said "I really should get Swiftcast" after a wipe, and both tanks instantly abandoned, without saying a word. Then everyone else proceeded to abandon, and she "oh... I apparently messed up. I'm sorry guys :("

I /comforted her, and left.

Tirod

Thanks to all the responses for my vanity question.

I'm gonna refresh this thread every now and then, and feel seething jealousy. :D

Phew, just got up for patch day. All these blue names on my server is nice to see. Game is alive again etc etc. Midas savage A5 already cleared? Damn, that was fast but expected. I noticed I was knocked off my afk spot when I logged in, lol.

Vit = Str now but the bigger issue is the secondary stats on VIT gear are almost all junk.
lolparry

Technically 1 VIT does equal 1 STR, but that's 3.2 STR. Used to it was 1 STR for every 1 Attack Power.

Now it is .45 attack power for either 1 vit OR 1 str. Since ilevel budgets allow for more vit per piece than str this is what let's vit be overall better dps wise now - with some exceptions depending on secondary stats - but all of this ends up being a large DPS loss compared to what we had in 3.0. Your right side accessories pretty much give about half what it used to, AP wise.

Well it's not that bad this tier, there is a no-parry fending piece for every accessory slot. Could end up being a problem with extra accuracy though.

Ugh, sounds like there's still going to be some weird gear complications with tanks then until someone does the math and figures out the optimal gear combinations.

But attribute-wise, there's no reason to not Keeper's Hymn and dump all 35 points into VIT right?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Ugh, sounds like there's still going to be some weird gear complications with tanks then until someone does the math and figures out the optimal gear combinations.

But attribute-wise, there's no reason to not Keeper's Hymn and dump all 35 points into VIT right?

You'll gain attack power by respeccing into VIT.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I got a "faded copy" music sheet from the new dungeon. How do I turn this into a usable item? Do I need to find a crafter?

BadRNG

Right, go full VIT with your bonus points. The optimization stuff is just about right side accessories.

(I can't believe they still messed this up. I mean I can, but still, come on Yoshi P. This isn't that hard)

ebil

Chaos is back up. Well, at least Ragnarok is.

The final floor of Midas is fucking amazing. JUST LIKE MY JAPANESE ANIMES.
Yes, amazing fight and music. I loved the
trolling going on
at the beginning of the fight.

It's a funny fight, but getting to the last phase in progression is gonna be just as awful as it ever was.
Normal felt really long already, didn't it? or maybe my DF group just sucked (it did).

Eldren

RIP Chaos, just as I finally finished the download. I'm excited for this although some stuff is a little disappointing. Palette swapped dungeon gear wouldn't be so bad if we could dye it, and I was hoping the new battle stance would be added to /cpose and not just an emote. Piles of spell speed on SMN was expected. Still, at least this patch might finally make me grow a backbone and actually try raiding and EX primals, otherwise I'm going to be stuck with my eso weapon for months...

(Edit because I just realised I can upgrade it to 210 so that's good. Less reason to be whiny.)

[/filthy casual whining]

Still, plenty of nice QoL changes to look forward to, and some of the new gear looks really nice.

Top Bottom