• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Leunam

Except for Floor 2 I really enjoyed Alexander Gordias.

But damn, so far Floors 5 through 7 blow it out of the water. And I still haven't been in Floor 8, which everyone seems to love. Been a great update so far.

IvorB

I'm pretty happy with the training dummies so far. I'd still like to see an in-game metric for either clearing each one or something like your best time for clearing them. Also once HP totals for all of the dummies are compiled like Angary is kind of doing (for science) it'll be a very good metric I think for at the very least rotation purposes.

I think the dummies are a great idea.

Except for Floor 2 I really enjoyed Alexander Gordias.

But damn, so far Floors 5 through 7 blow it out of the water. And I still haven't been in Floor 8, which everyone seems to love. Been a great update so far.

I've only done 5 so far and I didn't really like it. All that turning into birds and monkeys seems silly to me and not really my thing.

studyguy

I feel like thematically they really hit the nail on the head with Midas fights.

I mean that in regards to the kind of gravity (of which there is basically none) they lend to the Alexander story. It's a goofy tale that just happens to be about a goofy ass race summoning a giant robot mobile home to do whatever goofy as shit they do. Gobby cheese, uplanders, etc etc who cares

The mechanics all lend themselves to the idea that this is all super tongue in cheek compared to Jesus Christ the world is going to end again with Bahamut it's a crisis thing we had during coil. I can't wait to get to turn 7 with savage, half the mechanics had my whole team busting up laughing.

Leunam

I've only done 5 so far and I didn't really like it. All that turning into birds and monkeys seems silly to me and not really my thing.

I liked the silliness. The arena is called Advanced Clevering and it's a great showcase of what can go wrong when Goblins are messing with technology that they barely understand, and the measures you have to take to use that same tech to fight back. Works on two levels when you consider that Goblins are a goofy beast tribe but can still be very dangerous.

jorgeton

So.. 3.2.

I first need to get this Tank Nerf off my chest. I'm very disappointed in how drastic it is. I optimized my WAR to be more DPS than tank, and have never had any problems holding aggro or what not. This new patch strips away one of the few methods of customizability and personalization the game allowed. It feels like a breach of trust between consumer and developer. I'm paying you $15 a month for you to take my hard-earned character and mold it on a whim to how you see fit. It's utter bullshit. And I still don't understand the reasoning. Might as well just strip all attacks away from tanks, and keep auto-attack and defensive cooldowns (and Flash!) if tanks providing DPS support was such an issue. Anyway, yes I am very salty about this.

Fortunately, my main class is MNK, and they got buffed, so I can deal for a minute.

Content-wise,3.2 is so much better than 3.1. There's a lot more to do this time around. I will add to the choir of praises for the new Alex. It is fun, but challenging. It's also very imaginative and entertaining. I really like the new dungeons as well.

But, yeah, I'm not happy about this tank nerf. I'm new to this whole MMO thing, but I do not like when developers can take something I've worked on and flip it on its head because a vocal minority somewhere complained about it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
hXhNkrb.png

Check out those lax DPS checks.

Killed Sephirot EX dummy at 13s and A5S dummy at 7s, the latter with pots as MCH so eh

Sylas

So.. 3.2.

I first need to get this Tank Nerf off my chest. I'm very disappointed in how drastic it is. I optimized my WAR to be more DPS than tank, and have never had any problems holding aggro or what not. This new patch strips away one of the few methods of customizability and personalization the game allowed. It feels like a breach of trust between consumer and developer. I'm paying you $15 a month for you to take my hard-earned character and mold it on a whim to how you see fit. It's utter bullshit. And I still don't understand the reasoning. Might as well just strip all attacks away from tanks, and keep auto-attack and defensive cooldowns (and Flash!) if tanks providing DPS support was such an issue. Anyway, yes I am very salty about this.

Fortunately, my main class is MNK, and they got buffed, so I can deal for a minute.

Content-wise,3.2 is so much better than 3.1. There's a lot more to do this time around. I will add to the choir of praises for the new Alex. It is fun, but challenging. It's also very imaginative and entertaining. I really like the new dungeons as well.

But, yeah, I'm not happy about this tank nerf. I'm new to this whole MMO thing, but I do not like when developers can take something I've worked on and flip it on its head because a vocal minority somewhere complained about it.

Got bad news for you, buddy. This is the way MMOs work, you can't get terribly attached to unorthodox playstyles because they're rarely meant to be. In all fairness, though--customizing your WAR to be a DPS went pretty strictly against what WARs are intended to be, and the fact that you could do it in the first place spoke more to their poor design decisions than anything else.

I'm a little salty about them removing customisation because I firmly believe that more options are better, but I can understand why they had to do it. Paladin tanking feels better now, at least. I prefer my tanks to actually be a tank and not a mediocre/decent DPS after all.

jorgeton

Got bad news for you, buddy. This is the way MMOs work, you can't get terribly attached to unorthodox playstyles because they're rarely meant to be. In all fairness, though--customizing your WAR to be a DPS went pretty strictly against what WARs are intended to be, and the fact that you could do it in the first place spoke more to their poor design decisions than anything else.

I'm a little salty about them removing customisation because I firmly believe that more options are better, but I can understand why they had to do it. Paladin tanking feels better now, at least. I prefer my tanks to actually be a tank and not a mediocre/decent DPS after all.

I still don't understand how it was a poor design decision. It was fun and it didn't break the game. A4S was still tough as nails even with added tank Deeps. Why not just buff PLDs instead of nerfing all three tanks?

But whatever, count me among those tanks that won't be tanking anymore. I will embrace 20 minute DPS queues.

It sucks as bow mage too but once you know the boss rotation you can plan ahead since he doesn't do anything random.

Fight is also extremely lenient. We cleared with 2-3 people dead in the final phase both times we did it.

Grats on the clear. We were close but called it at 3am cuz people had been playing for almost 24 hours at that point.

Leunam

I still don't understand how it was a poor design decision. It was fun and it didn't break the game. A4S was still tough as nails even with added tank Deeps. Why not just buff PLDs instead of nerfing all three tanks?

But whatever, count me among those tanks that won't be tanking anymore. I will embrace 20 minute DPS queues.

Maybe it's because PLD is my co-main, but I'm enjoying the WAR complaints.

Sorian

Banned
I'm happy to see WARs sitting on their pile of salt personally. Nothing worse than a WAR who cares more about their DPS than their tanking.

studyguy

So I've basically set up to run PLD or DRK as needed for my party with the DPS checks being what they are, the lines will get even fuzzier between the two since down the line I'll have armor sets that work for both. Till I decide on what weapon to get I have forever to decide what to play. For now I'll do whatever the fuck I feel like because it barely matters this patch.

I still do not like the PLD kit and could literally give less of a flying fuck about WAR tears when PLD/DRK combos are basically still a crapshoot. WAR is objectively better off than either tank anyway. Also I think I took a lens last night so I may have fucked up accidentally when I wanted to take gloves. Gonna skip the Midas legs all together I think.

I finally cleared Sephirot hard mode. It took about 3-4 tries. People were so fucking rude it was unbelievable. There was one whm complaining about me not healing properly when I was carrying the group. Bitch, please. It has easy mechanics but they can catch you off guard. It is a nightmare in df atm. I hope I don't get it on future roulettes. Is it just me or are shirtless roes always arseholes in this game? One tank was on his throne (a roe) bragging about how he already cleared......

Squishy3

Sephirot is so fun.
I'm slightly disappointed that Tempered Will doesn't negate his knockbacks though.
I'm disappointed that at least on normal at least the corpses don't fall off. Haven't done EX yet though so I guess if they did fall off that's where it'd happen.

studyguy

You're only flung off when you're alive. Pretty sure Titan EX threw dead bodies off the arena too iirc... though now that I think about it maybe I'm thinking of Levi and his slams.

Sorian

Banned
You're only flung off when you're alive. Pretty sure Titan EX threw dead bodies off the arena too iirc... though now that I think about it maybe I'm thinking of Levi and his slams.

Levi is the only primal that interacts with dead bodies forcing them to move. (Sounds like Seph EX doesn't, I haven't actually been in yet).

iammeiam

Check out those lax DPS checks.

Killed Sephirot EX dummy at 13s and A5S dummy at 7s, the latter with pots as MCH so eh

The 4 Dummy really does feel super lax to me--I went back once I realized ACT's fight timer was padding on extra seconds and making me think things were closer than they were, and even swapping in Antiquated Ferdinand it wasn't a huge thing. The jump between 6 and 7 does support the idea of a tomestone dropping there since it's a bigger leap than any other inter-floor gap.

I'm mostly curious to see how much closer I can get on the 8 dummy with a Seph weapon;~14-15% failures pretty consistently so it's a healthy gap but also seems it should be doable by lore weapon though I could see people better than me pulling it off way sooner.

Omni

Got some practise in on Seph Ex. Made to phase 2 in a random learning group.

Fun fight. It doesn't seem as... difficult as Thordan was? So far at least. Though I wish my WHM had more spell speed. I feel clunky in there kinda.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Got some practise in on Seph Ex. Made to phase 2 in a random learning group.

Fun fight. It doesn't seem as... difficult as Thordan was? So far at least. Though I wish my WHM had more spell speed. I feel clunky in there kinda.

The phase after adds is OG T9/Titan EX shit. Very annoying to progress. Also, tanks really love to cleave my turret. #justMCHthings
Personally I'd say Thordan was actually much easier.

RIP Soken

Sorian

Banned
I've seen this brought up in a few different places. Seph EX is not supposed to be comparable to Thordan. Thordan was a one-off "harder" difficulty fight and is not expected to be the norm.

scy

A5S - A8S SSS for all classes. Such tank nerfs though, those numbers are lower than pre-3.2 ones. By a lot.

I'm happy to see WARs sitting on their pile of salt personally. Nothing worse than a WAR who cares more about their DPS than their tanking.

On one hand, I felt like I was going to be tanking more things like ... properly with Midas design. On the other hand, that didn't need gutting my damage to get it to be done. And, most importantly, it didn't even fix the inherent design problem anyway. Crafted i220 and STR accessories still have their places. So I'm a bit "eh?" at the damage loss as well as the whole it not even doing what it was supposed to. Tweak the VIT ratio up a bit (50-45 or 55-40, keep some damage loss) to actually fit their design goal here.

studyguy

On one hand, I felt like I was going to be tanking more things like ... properly with Midas design. On the other hand, that didn't need gutting my damage to get it to be done. And, most importantly, it didn't even fix the inherent design problem anyway. Crafted i220 and STR accessories still have their places. So I'm a bit "eh?" at the damage loss as well as the whole it not even doing what it was supposed to. Tweak the VIT ratio up a bit (50-45 or 55-40, keep some damage loss) to actually fit their design goal here.

Making STR=VIT seems like a poor choice, if they really wanted to make VIT viable across the board they would have to do something about Parry. STR accessories are still basically it for most cases so what's the gain here? I agree the proportions should have been skewed more for vit than str, but whatever. The core problem will exist till they do something specific to tackle it. DPS oriented tanks are still the preferred method over "tanky" builds through and through.

Did Sephirot Normal last night before going to bed. Took about 3 attempts but had a ton of fun during it all.

Quite interested in how Sephirot EX plays out now.

scy

Making STR=VIT seems like a poor choice, if they really wanted to make VIT viable across the board they would have to do something about Parry.

Tweak the VIT ratio up, make Parry a free half-value stat on things instead of a dedicated secondary (ala old Healer Accuracy). Best idea for Parry I've heard short of reevaluating the stat wholesale, anyway.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Grats on the clear. We were close but called it at 3am cuz people had been playing for almost 24 hours at that point.

We haven't cleared Extreme yet, still working on the final phase but it seems easy enough granted everyone's awake. We had people in the same situation last night... just lack of sleep leading to mistakes lol.

Zalasta

As far as I know the only time a corpse gets thrown off of the Titan arena is if you die on the section where the ledge collapses (as the arena shrinks in size).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A7 is rough with a PUG.

Yep. I spent around an hour in DF the first time I went in there. The problems were people not killing the adds fast enough, the tanks not swapping and people either not killing the heart fast enough or getting smashed by the ball things.

We haven't cleared Extreme yet, still working on the final phase but it seems easy enough granted everyone's awake. We had people in the same situation last night... just lack of sleep leading to mistakes lol.

Shows how tired I am...I can't even read right now...my bad.

Did anyone clear yet on Ultros? Somebody was saying somebody cleared yesterday on our server, but I didn't see anybody with weapons lounging around in Idyllshire (like the jerks who took all the bird mounts yesterday). Though to be fair, if they got their 10 clears those groups are probably enjoying the wipe pest that is 2Faust2Furious.

Also with a larger sample pool of data from yesterday, the Bird drop rate is starting to hover ~5% on Bis/Rav. Will need to gather info until reset. But it sounds like people are seeing one roughly every 20 clears or so, though I personally have seen one every 10 clears on average (Saw 4 yesterday -- 1 Bismark, 3 Ravana -- and did a total of 37 clears of BisEx/RavEx), but other groups who did roughly 20-30 clears saw only 1 drop.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yep. I spent around an hour in DF the first time I went in there. The problems were people not killing the adds fast enough, the tanks not swapping and people either not killing the heart fast enough or getting smashed by the ball things.

I eventually got a kill last night. Now A8 pugging makes A7 pugging look easy. Of course the problem with pugs is no one sticks around for more then a wipe or two, so it's like constantly requeueing with a fresh set of people who haven't seen any of the fight yet.

Top Bottom