• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Squishy3

Lemme think.

Well, I remember being able to ignore quite a bit in A1N and A2N by the end of the first week. A3N and A4N, not as much, of course.
I remember being able to skip the second set of adds and drainage tethers in A3N if your group's DPS is high enough but that's about it.

Sorian

Banned
Lemme think.

Well, I remember being able to ignore quite a bit in A1N and A2N by the end of the first week. A3N and A4N, not as much, of course.

Straight ignoring the missiles in A1N was never a winning proposition, neither was ignoring the tether between the bosses for any considerable amount of time. A2 was an add boss so mechanics didn't matter as much because the real fear in an add boss is the final enrage timer and I honestly can't remember if normal had one and if it did then I know I've never seen it even with all the shit groups I've been in.

WolvenOne

Like what?

What could you ignore?

In A2N I recall some groups just ignoring the gobwalker mounts. Similarly I recall some groups allowing the two bosses in A1N to get stacks so they could AoE limit break them more easily. Since the stacks fell off anyway failing that mechanic wasn't the end of the world. I also recall several runs where missiles hit the ground multiple times in A1N and people still cleared just fine.

Admittedly these were all miserable runs, however the fact that people could either ignore or outright fail mechanics multiple times and still clear, I feel is still a valid point.

I was legit shook when I looked it up today and discovered that they were actually still making songs and touring and not just living off of When Worlds Collide royalties.

I dunno, the one part that matches is essentially the main rhythm, bass, and beat of the Sephirot theme outside of the chorus (which also deviates in Powerman's song too). The singers do sing in a very similar tone, but that's more a work of the genre of this kind of music than anything else.

Personally, I think there may be enough to at least commence legal action (cost/time worth and actually prevailing on a copyright infringement case like this is another story). But I mean... It's not like Soken decided to riff a 15 year old song to top the charts or anything like that as opposed to just making a song as you fight a giant demon of alleged tree-origins. Was probably meant for homage more than anything else.

On the other hand and with that said, a composer who worked on Super Robot Wars K got 86'd a few years back for ripping off a segment of a song that RPG fans may blatantly recognize even though the segment itself was probably only 20 seconds.

when am I beating you in sf5?

Squishy3

What could you ignore?

In A2N I recall some groups just ignoring the gobwalker mounts. Similarly I recall some groups allowing the two bosses in A1N to get stacks so they could AoE limit break them more easily. Since the stacks fell off anyway failing that mechanic wasn't the end of the world.

I also recall several runs where missiles hit the ground multiple times in A1N and people still cleared just fine.
Yeah, we ended up doing the bring them together for AOE LB strat in my group since our gear was a mishmosh of unupgraded/upgraded law and not everyone had Ravana weapons yet, so the AOE LB let us beat the enrage on .5.

Our group's way better now and waaaaaay better geared relative to now than we were at the start of Gordias.

Sorian

Banned
What could you ignore?

In A2N I recall some groups just ignoring the gobwalker mounts. Similarly I recall some groups allowing the two bosses in A1N to get stacks so they could AoE limit break them more easily. Since the stacks fell off anyway failing that mechanic wasn't the end of the world. I also recall several runs where missiles hit the ground multiple times in A1N and people still cleared just fine.

Admittedly these were all miserable runs, however the fact that people could either ignore or outright fail mechanics multiple times and still clear, I feel is still a valid point.

I mean, I fail to see what that says about anything in comparison to 2nd alexander. You can also fail every single jail mechanic in A7N and still clear. Keeping the bosses close to do the final aoe limit break that kills them is hardly ignoring a mechanic and in applicable gear, letting those missiles hit the ground two or three times meant an enrage for most groups pretty easily. I also don't recall and also doubt people were just straight ignoring the gobtank and just eating bombs all day.

studyguy

In the year 2016 of our lord and savior Tanaka, we're discussing the possibility that SE will be hit with a suit by Powerman5000. What a time to be alive.

scy

I also don't recall and also doubt people were just straight ignoring the gobtank and just eating bombs all day.

While I do agree with the point you're making overall, this is totally how most my first few runs went. It was only after people figured out the vuln thing that it changed. Sort of.

Sorian

Banned
While I do agree with the point you're making overall, this is totally how most my first few runs went. It was only after people figured out the vuln thing that it changed. Sort of.

That's the only point I was unsure of, I even said so :p I never tried ignoring bombs but I figured the debuff was still real if you let it stack and knowing most melee, trying to just move away from bombs for that whole fight sounded like something that wouldn't fly with most groups.

Edit: and by unsure, I mean to say I didn't remember.

Teknoman

826260f8af.jpg

Genuinely didn't know Powerman5000 still toured.
Has SE been sued by Disney yet for basically lifting This is Halloween's tune almost 1:1 for Good King Mog?

Lol it's not that close. Might sounds similar, but it's just a jaunty orchestral version of the moogle theme from FFV onward. Dunno if the theme was in Secret of Mana since they were in the game too.

scy

That's the only point I was unsure of, I even said so :p I never tried ignoring bombs but I figured the debuff was still real if you let it stack and knowing most melee, trying to just move away from bombs for that whole fight sounded like something that wouldn't fly with most groups.

Edit: and by unsure, I mean to say I didn't remember.

Oh, I know, was more just adding my anecdotal evidence from the first week since you mentioned you weren't sure about it. It was a lot of "why bother when it's survivable anyway?" and mostly just a "Someone will need to in Savage probably?" and the vuln stacking for damage.

/ac "Flaming Arrow" <t>
/ac "Bishop Autoturret" <t>
/ac Shukuchi <t>

Works for place too. In case you really need to place the faerie on top of the tank so it can die to cleaves.

MogCakes

What's hilarious about this music thing is it shows people who are ignorant of a song's origins assume it's ripping off anything that sounds similar to what they've heard before. For instance, King Mog's theme, AKA an updated version of the same track from FFV, which came out before Nightmare Before Christmas.

I see a lot where people say a song ripped off another song, then people who play instruments/read or write music/know shit come in and say why they are wrong and people get pissed at being told they are wrong because they don't know anything about music besides what they like hearing.

Guess Who

Banned
I do write and play music, and the verses are pretty similar to When World's Collide, even lyrically. I don't think it's a deliberate direct ripoff but the similarity is pretty clear.

Squishy3

It looks like it was never migrated into Google+. :lol

Anyway I guess A rank hunts drop music sheets for that zone? The more you know!

Cmagus

The Ochestrion is ruling my life, all I want to do is collect music. Sadly no one is doing Crystal Tower right now. People are already selling T5 and T9 Runs for guaranteed music drops only 5 mil lol.

Sephirot was a pretty crazy fight but I can only the madness that is EX. Gonna have to try that this weekend.

Also it taught me who did Turn 13 and who did not.

Cmagus

I've crafted like 10 Orchestrions for free the last two days.

Now to craft blue scrips for days :(

Hey now I paid you for mine and just accept the fact the you're the Orchestrion guy. We really need to send our airship out to get us Red moko Grass, I'm almost 60 crp so I need to start making us Grade 3 orchestrion rolls soon.

I kind of wish they had it so the FC orchestrion could have songs loaded onto it that everyone can access not just the person using it. Also the song Sport of Kings (chocobo racing theme) matches perfect with the step dance.

Raijinken

A lot of people have things like jobs they have to be at. Not only that but the server issues hurt everyone last night so a lot of people had to postpone raid time until later. Most of the big groups will likely kill Sephirot Extreme today and then move on to A5S. There really is no rush.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Ultros is just bad. I just spent 3 hours wiping to purple and green circles in Sephirot EX, and a diagram was even provided to show the party where they needed to be and it still does not work out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Time to move servers?

I'm sure it doesn't help that a lot of people seem to have left the server.

iammeiam

Nah, I'm pretty sure Ultros is just bad. I just spent 3 hours wiping to purple and green circles in Sephirot EX, and a diagram was even provided to show the party where they needed to be and it still does not work out.

Skipping the second purple/green circle set is my goal every pull (we're bad and die a lot lololol.) Even when it goes smoothly I'm still holding my breath so I'd rather just not do it.

Figuring this stuff out is fun, though. Lots of actually paying attention to the attack names on damage, trying to figure out who died from what, Final phase is good times and me dying to my own stupidity a lot.

Ultros is bad, we're bad, a good time for all!

I really like Stone, Sea, Sky but it really points out that I suck at my rotation. My item level is only 148 but I feel like I should be able to beat the basic level if it's based on the Singularity Reactor like I heard and I have beaten before easily. I've only been level 60 for a little bit of time due to a longer break I took from the game. I'm a DRG and I can barely get it down to 17% HP. My rotation isn't perfect because I think Geirskogul is stupid and I'm still getting used to using it along with the other BotD moves. I just feel like I should be doing better but I don't see how I can win with my current equipment. MAYBE I can get to 12-15% but I dunno about win

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I really like Stone, Sea, Sky but it really points out that I suck at my rotation. My item level is only 148 but I feel like I should be able to beat the basic level if it's based on the Singularity Reactor like I heard and I have beaten before easily. I've only been level 60 for a little bit of time due to a longer break I took from the game. I'm a DRG and I can barely get it down to 17% HP. My rotation isn't perfect because I think Geirskogul is stupid and I'm still getting used to using it along with the other BotD moves. I just feel like I should be doing better but I don't see how I can win with my current equipment. MAYBE I can get to 12-15% but I dunno about win
This is the great part about SSS. It gets you asking questions about your play style which can lead to improvement. Hopefully they keep it going in the future and expand on it further (longer time limits plz).

The optimal rotation for drg to maximize geirskogul uses requires about 600 skill speed. Just keep practicing. Drg is basically a rigid rotation. Check these out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyo8fdmmglk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kraM1RN8mtw

Squishy3

I don't think the story Singularity Reactor is in Stone, Sky, Sea (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing it there) so I don't expect you to be able to do it at your current item level. (It's also possible when you did it you were running with people significantly higher in item level than is intended for it and they made up for your lesser DPS.)

The important thing is you're asking questions, and that's a great thing. The actual Dragoon rotation is pretty simple in concept and just requires optimization.

The optimal rotation for drg to maximize geirskogul uses requires about 600 skill speed. Just keep practicing. Drg is basically a rigid rotation. Check these out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyo8fdmmglk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kraM1RN8mtw
The how to Dragoon per second thread on the official forums is also excellent. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/261773-How-to-Dragoon-per-Second-A-DPS-Paradigm

Top Bottom