• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

studyguy

My group cleared A7 with 1 pug last night after like 2 tries.
That fight is going to be amazing in savage.

All fell asleep before hitting A8, doing that and sephirot ex today, hopefully rolling into savage immediately if we can get everyone on.

WolvenOne

That's not how probability works.

When ponies first came out, the drop rate on them was so low that clearing a primal dozens and dozens of times wasn't a guarantee that you'd see one drop. What's more, one of the people that I saw running around on a hawk was a member of my static, and I know for a fact that he didn't spend hours on end farming Ravana yesterday.

So either he lucked out absurdly, or the drop rate is a bit higher than the original pony drop-rate.

Sorian

Banned
My group cleared A7 with 1 pug last night after like 2 tries.
That fight is going to be amazing in savage.

All fell asleep before hitting A8, doing that and sephirot ex today, hopefully rolling into savage immediately if we can get everyone on.

A8 is the best thing ever. If you liked A7, it's time to get hype.

Putting the hype aside for a second, A7 is the more mechanically interesting fight IMO so I get the feeling the second to last fight will be the star of the show again in savage unless they did something to really spice up A8S. The long drawn out mini-boss and add phase are going to drag A8S down a lot.

Sorian

Banned
When ponies first came out, the drop rate on them was so low that clearing a primal dozens and dozens of times wasn't a guarantee that you'd see one drop. What's more, one of the people that I saw running around on a hawk was a member of my static, and I know for a fact that he didn't spend hours on end farming Ravana yesterday.

So either he lucked out absurdly, or the drop rate is a bit higher than the original pony drop-rate.

Again, gut feels is not how probability works. I would be unsurprised if the drop rate was a bit higher because I recall that they felt original pony drops were way too rare but seeing a couple in idyllshire, where everyone goes to show off their new shiny shit, and knowing a guy who lucked out on one does not equal higher probability.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Shows how tired I am...I can't even read right now...my bad.

Did anyone clear yet on Ultros? Somebody was saying somebody cleared yesterday on our server, but I didn't see anybody with weapons lounging around in Idyllshire (like the jerks who took all the bird mounts yesterday). Though to be fair, if they got their 10 clears those groups are probably enjoying the wipe pest that is 2Faust2Furious.

Also with a larger sample pool of data from yesterday, the Bird drop rate is starting to hover ~5% on Bis/Rav. Will need to gather info until reset. But it sounds like people are seeing one roughly every 20 clears or so, though I personally have seen one every 10 clears on average (Saw 4 yesterday -- 1 Bismark, 3 Ravana -- and did a total of 37 clears of BisEx/RavEx), but other groups who did roughly 20-30 clears saw only 1 drop.

I don't think so. I know SF was still working on it as well as Awake and neither called a clear.

Sorian

Banned
Man when did Ultros become so bad? I guess I'm not really speaking from a complete place of understanding but we haven't even cleared a regular ex primal yet?

Squishy3

Hm, I wonder if the Thordan theme drops from normal or the Ballad.

also apparently 11k raid-wide dps still isn't enough to clear a5s faust lol

studyguy

826260f8af.jpg

Genuinely didn't know Powerman5000 still toured.
Has SE been sued by Disney yet for basically lifting This is Halloween's tune almost 1:1 for Good King Mog?

WolvenOne

Again, gut feels is not how probability works. I would be unsurprised if the drop rate was a bit higher because I recall that they felt original pony drops were way too rare but seeing a couple in idyllshire, where everyone goes to show off their new shiny shit, and knowing a guy who lucked out on one does not equal higher probability.

Again, I know roughly how long he was in Ravana, (about an hour.) While it's certainly possible he just lucked out, a mount dropping in less then ten clears would certainly seem to indicate a not terribly low drop-rate.

Admittedly, a larger sample size is necessary. I have no idea how many runs the other fellow needed to do before the other hawk dropped.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Man when did Ultros become so bad? I guess I'm not really speaking from a complete place of understanding but we haven't even cleared a regular ex primal yet?

A lot of people have things like jobs they have to be at. Not only that but the server issues hurt everyone last night so a lot of people had to postpone raid time until later. Most of the big groups will likely kill Sephirot Extreme today and then move on to A5S. There really is no rush.

WolvenOne

A lot of people have things like jobs they have to be at. Not only that but the server issues hurt everyone last night so a lot of people had to postpone raid time until later. Most of the big groups will likely kill Sephirot Extreme today and then move on to A5S. There really is no rush.

Yeah, even when the servers came back up I was having trouble in certain instances. Didn't seem to be on my end either.

scy

While it's certainly possible he just lucked out, a mount dropping in less then ten clears would certainly seem to indicate a not terribly low drop-rate.

I mean ... no, not really? It indicates that something dropped in a singular instance. it could be 1% or 10%, both can be true even if it dropped on the very first time.

iammeiam

A8 is the best thing ever. If you liked A7, it's time to get hype.

A lot of early A8 reaction was just "Where was all this when they were doing A4? Every single thing is better!"

then the fight really starts and everything is amazing.

I have no idea how the Savage fights will pan out in terms of protracted fun, but they did an excellent job of making Midas visually interesting in a way that most of Gordias failed at. It wins for atmosphere, at least.

studyguy

I honestly have no idea what A6 was for the most part since we just sort of dumb brute forced it in one go. I feel like there was probably a tank swap on the magic laser guy or maybe you had to split damage. Then there were other ones we literally just blew up while all being terrible confused about mechanics. The FREEZE THE WATER thing happened by complete accident and we just sort of blundered our way through it luckily. Either way mechanically everything so far is a thousand times more fun than Gordias.

WolvenOne

I mean ... no, not really? It indicates that something dropped in a singular instance. it could be 1% or 10%, both can be true even if it dropped on the very first time.

I'm aware, which is why I said a larger sample is necessary to confirm. This is just an initial impression thing.

Squishy3

A6 even is way more spectacular than A2 because it's like fighting gobwidows with mechanics instead of boring gobwalker nonsense and kill priority.

Sorian

Banned

Oh people work? I didn't know.

Really Kagari? Come on now.

I'll concede that the server being down for a good hour and a half at prime time probably did throw a wrench into things. I didn't even think of that. It's just an honest observation though. As far as I am seeing this is on par with any pre-heavensward EX primal or Rav/Bis EX and I know that we used to have pugs clearing these day 1. It's not a matter of no rush, it's more curiosity of what changed because I don't think it's the difficulty.

Sorian

Banned
I honestly have no idea what A6 was for the most part since we just sort of dumb brute forced it in one go. I feel like there was probably a tank swap on the magic laser guy or maybe you had to split damage. Then there were other ones we literally just blew up while all being terrible confused about mechanics. The FREEZE THE WATER thing happened by complete accident and we just sort of blundered our way through it luckily. Either way mechanically everything so far is a thousand times more fun than Gordias.

I realized that we were basically brute forcing A7 last night. We weren't understanding the first DPS prison or the healer prison at all. We were also pugging the OT slot for all of them and they were just trash at dpsing the add down when they got sent to prison so I thought we were doing that wrong as well but that was just baddies apparently.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh people work? I didn't know.

Really Kagari? Come on now.

I'll concede that the server being down for a good hour and a half at prime time probably did throw a wrench into things. I didn't even think of that. It's just an honest observation though. As far as I am seeing this is on par with any pre-heavensward EX primal or Rav/Bis EX and I know that we used to have pugs clearing these day 1. It's not a matter of no rush, it's more curiosity of what changed because I don't think it's the difficulty.

Just people's motivations I guess. Grimm was trying to get people together for Sephirot HM from the FC and no one was really wanting to go around 5-6PM.

Even DF seems a bit bare though. Took me forever to get into Antitower last night despite trying on healer and DPS.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Genuinely didn't know Powerman5000 still toured.
Has SE been sued by Disney yet for basically lifting This is Halloween's tune almost 1:1 for Good King Mog?

Good King Mog's music is just an updated/vocals version of Critter Tripper Fritter from Final Fantasy V. A game that came out 1 year before Nightmare Before Christmas. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So a couple of questions (did a quick skim of the past few pages and couldn't see it being mentioned)
Does clearing A5N-A8N net you a free accessory token like it did for A1-A4?

And would assigning a BRD job to my ARC retainer reset its level to 1?

Sorian

Banned
Just people's motivations I guess. Grimm was trying to get people together for Sephirot HM from the FC and no one was really wanting to go around 5-6PM.

Even DF seems a bit bare though. Took me forever to get into Antitower last night despite trying on healer and DPS.

That's true, I noticed this too. I'm DPS so I know I wait usually but I ran antitower 3 times and amdapor twice and my wait was like it was during normal "ded gaem" time on all of those. Usually on patch day, anything new is basically an instant queue.

Saw Grimm doing that, I had already beaten HM and I was watching MSQ cutscenes, RIP

Sorian

Banned
So a couple of questions (did a quick skim of the past few pages and couldn't see it being mentioned)
Does clearing A5N-A8N per week net you a free accessory token like it did for A1-A4?

And would assigning a BRD job to my ARC retainer reset its level to 1?

This wasn't a thing, you got a free accessory token just for completing the storyline the first time but no, they removed it this time for some reason.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's true, I noticed this too. I'm DPS so I know I wait usually but I ran antitower 3 times and amdapor twice and my wait was like it was during normal "ded gaem" time on all of those. Usually on patch day, anything new is basically an instant queue.

Saw Grimm doing that, I had already beaten HM and I was watching MSQ cutscenes, RIP

Alexander queue was long this morning too. Maybe they just lost a lot of subs between 3.1 and now? Who knows.

There are no serious DPS checks in the fight, but it's just literally learning the order of the mechanics in the last phase IMO that's keeping groups from clearing it faster. Remember Titan EX and how it was like only a handful of mechanics to actually learn, but they just kept happening over and over again in a certain order and kept coming at you very quickly? That's what's pretty much going on for much of the fight. It's just group coordination/movement, and memorizing the last phase's mechanics order, which consists of
18 mechanic parts total, but several mechanics like the Green ground pillar AoE, twin towers, and earthshakers appear multiple times in that list. So you really are only learning like 8 unique mechanics to deal with, and they just keep appearing in a certain order through the last phase until enrage.
. I think you're seeing the same thing here that we did with Thordan EX. Groups will clear today (if they haven't already), and then more will clear during the week as current strats are refined and simplified (made into an easily consumable template for all to follow). But it's going to be just like Thordan EX in terms of pug groups IMO. Good luck until sometime in 3.3 when echo is added unless you get lucky. Gonna be a lot of
Please know up to adds
learning groups just like you saw a lot of "please know up to meteors" in ThorEx.

Also echoing what others said before, some people had to work/didn't take yesterday off or opted to do other contet (ie get rekt by 2Faust2Furious). Our group did not start until late afternoon when I got back home, and then somewhere into our 2nd lockout the servers went to hell and we lost roughly 2 hours there. Then when we came back, a few members wanted to craft an extra 220 left side and spent like 2 hours getting the mats/crafting while we waited. Then we discussed refining some things and debated strats for like another hour. I think after the servers went to hell around 5pm my time, we didn't get back in until close to 11pm my time, and we called it at 3am. We also switched MTs at one point and had to teach them everything up to where were were (middle of last phase first cycle). So we had about 4-5 legit lockouts. We just needed to clean up handling two of the, IMO, most challenging mechanics in the fight and I think we would have been on our way to a clear. Pretty sure we'll get it tonight if everyone is around to go back in for a few more lockouts. After we farm to get our weapons I think we're either going back into A4S for 5 more clears to get rest of static mounts (and some people could use the weapon) and then going to join the circus that is 2Faust2Furious. Badge of honor on Ultros will be getting to the actual fightin A5S this week before people get 230 chest/legs next week + more 220 Midas normal gear.

Sorian

Banned
There are no serious DPS checks in the fight, but it's just literally learning the order of the mechanics in the last phase IMO that's keeping groups from clearing it faster. Remember Titan EX and how it was like only a handful of mechanics to actually learn, but they just kept happening over and over again in a certain order and kept coming at you very quickly? That's what's pretty much going on for much of the fight. It's just group coordination/movement, and memorizing the last phase's mechanics order, which consists of
18 mechanic parts total, but several mechanics like the Green ground pillar AoE, twin towers, and earthshakers appear multiple times in that list. So you really are only learning like 8 unique mechanics to deal with, and they just keep appearing in a certain order through the last phase until enrage.
. I think you're seeing the same thing here that we did with Thordan EX. Groups will clear today (if they haven't already), and then more will clear during the week as current strats are refined and simplified (made into an easily consumable template for all to follow). But it's going to be just like Thordan EX in terms of pug groups IMO. Good luck until sometime in 3.3 when echo is added unless you get lucky. Gonna be a lot of
Please know up to adds
learning groups just like you saw a lot of "please know up to meteors" in ThorEx.

I mean, pugging has always been a YMMV type deal but this seems to be easier than ThorEx in all respects. Thordan also had a dps layer on top of the mechanics while that doesn't seem to be the case here. I don't know, again, I'm well aware that I'm the ass in the room going off of second hand information but it just seems odd. Hard to remember so far back, I know I personally didn't clear titan ex right away but I recall the serve having it down fairly quickly in "pug" groups, in quotes because it was all the best players hanging about wanting to do something before their whole statics logged in and this seems very titan-esque.

Squishy3

I mean, pugging has always been a YMMV type deal but this seems to be easier than ThorEx in all respects. Thordan also had a dps layer on top of the mechanics while that doesn't seem to be the case here. I don't know, again, I'm well aware that I'm the ass in the room going off of second hand information but it just seems odd. Hard to remember so far back, I know I personally didn't clear titan ex right away but I recall the serve having it down fairly quickly in "pug" groups, in quotes because it was all the best players hanging about wanting to do something before their whole statics logged in and this seems very titan-esque.
I think there's a lot more consistent damage coming out in Sephirot EX than there is in Thordan, even though Thordan probably overall does more damage, but the damage always comes at specific times in the fights (as he follows a rotation) while Sephirot follows a rotation that repeats for each part of the fight. The amount of damage going out raid-wide in the first phase alone is kinda nuts.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well I don't know if I'd say it's easier than Thordan Extreme. There's a lot more movement, a lot more mechanics coming at you one after the next and a lot more damage on the healer side of things. It's definitely a fight where all 8 people need to be paying attention.

Plus you can fall off.

yayaba

Server maintenance again? :-/

I sure picked a bad time to start playing. By the time I get home from work the server's will be off line then. Blah!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Server maintenance again? :-/

I sure picked a bad time to start playing. By the time I get home from work the server's will be off line then. Blah!

Yeah it's really unfortunate. Usually they don't mess things up this bad with new patches but hopefully they'll be good to go for the rest of the week.

Squishy3

We spent last night doing blind runs of Seph HM and Alex Normal. We are super good at all the things, so our tanks got lots of time to work out the A6 lasers. Actually doing everything blind with a set group was sort of new for me but pretty fun. Learning!

Tonight we get to start wiping in Seph EX and then hopefully maybe see Savage on Saturday? I dunno.
This is exactly how my group handled our first kill on him. So many raises. (And lots of deaths to the drill)

We had like 0 problems with the last one, of course.

WolvenOne

I do like how the normal mode versions of 2nd Alex actually have mechanics that people can't ignore. So I guess they weren't kidding when they were saying that they were adjusting normal mode difficulty up a little. XD

Don't get me wrong though, these fights will probably become fairly routine after a few weeks. Between over gearing and people learning their roles and all that.

Sorian

Banned
I do like how the normal mode versions of 2nd Alex actually have mechanics that people can't ignore. So I guess they weren't kidding when they were saying that they were adjusting normal mode difficulty up a little. XD

Don't get me wrong though, these fights will probably become fairly routine after a few weeks. Between over gearing and people learning their roles and all that.

There were mechanics in 1st alex normal mode that you couldn't ignore when you were at appropriate gear level either.

MechaX

Holy shit Powerman 5000 is still around?

I was legit shook when I looked it up today and discovered that they were actually still making songs and touring and not just living off of When Worlds Collide royalties.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/47dbl5/soken_vs_powerman_5000/

That comparison video pretty much shows while there is some influence, only one part really matches up enough to warrant any sort of serious reaction. It's at the 14 second mark and only lasts a few seconds. After that to start to veer pretty far apart.

I dunno, the one part that matches is essentially the main rhythm, bass, and beat of the Sephirot theme outside of the chorus (which also deviates in Powerman's song too). The singers do sing in a very similar tone, but that's more a work of the genre of this kind of music than anything else.

Personally, I think there may be enough to at least commence legal action (cost/time worth and actually prevailing on a copyright infringement case like this is another story). But I mean... It's not like Soken decided to riff a 15 year old song to top the charts or anything like that as opposed to just making a song as you fight a giant demon of alleged tree-origins. Was probably meant for homage more than anything else.

On the other hand and with that said, a composer who worked on Super Robot Wars K got 86'd a few years back for ripping off a segment of a song that RPG fans may blatantly recognize even though the segment itself was probably only 20 seconds.

WolvenOne

There were mechanics in 1st alex normal mode that you couldn't ignore when you were at appropriate gear level either.

Lemme think.

Well, I remember being able to ignore quite a bit in A1N and A2N by the end of the first week. A3N and A4N, not as much, of course.

Top Bottom