• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Zhao_Yun

I was hoping for Crystal Tower to get more popular again, since it drops so many different music rolls but it's still nearly impossible to get in. Really want the music though :(

aceface

What's annoying to me about music rolls is that for half of them you need to find an ALC to craft it into the completed roll. C'mon just drop the music into my inventory, I don't want to have to run around and find an ALC to do it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally finished Midas. Aside from a few wipes, I had no problems with the first DF groups I joined, which was a relief.
Loved the A8 fight because of the awesomeness and A7 because of the interesting mechanics.

Also, I don't know how rare it is, but I got a Brute Justice card on my first A8 clear, yay.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Redownloading the game. Is the new dungeon( I know one is a HM) tied to the story at all? Asking because I'd have to go through 3.1 stuff first.

Pachimari

I really like Lightning's bow. Probably gonna buy it at the €2.10:

0f0c71581ee680279312028cb6ceb8c3de14231e.png

studyguy

Was doing Sephirot EX last night and my healer (one of them is super new) was having mad trouble keeping up with the healing. Is the healing check in Sephirot really that bad? My whole party seemed like they were getting rocked and I can't really tell as a tank as the only thing that really hurts is the tankbuster for me.

iammeiam

Rereading the Sephirot lyrics, it's basically the DRK Anthem, isn't it? Time for DRKs to rage over not getting Seph armor.

I really like Lightning's bow. Probably gonna buy it at the €2.10:

0f0c71581ee680279312028cb6ceb8c3de14231e.png

Serah's bow! It's pretty cool but be warned it doesn't have a quiver, which means it just kind of floats behind the character's back. Random example. different armor effects how obvious that is.

MogCakes

Was doing Sephirot EX last night and my healer (one of them is super new) was having mad trouble keeping up with the healing. Is the healing check in Sephirot really that bad? My whole party seemed like they were getting rocked and I can't really tell as a tank as the only thing that really hurts is the tankbuster for me.
The stress of learning the new mechanics probably hampered their ability.

studyguy

The stress of learning the new mechanics probably hampered their ability.

Yeah we learned quick before we had to take a break since someone had to grab a bite to eat, we got up to the adds immediately but then were like FUCK EVERYTHING UP not knowing that they were basically moving levi spumes ready to obliterate the party if we killed them all at once. It's real cool to see 10k damage then like 5 subsequent 2k damage shots roll out from a mob.

iammeiam

Looking at our last wipe last night, Tiferet (the big AOE in phase one) happens 11 times before we push. In that 11 casts, it manages to hit for a raid total of 500k damage which seems pretty nuts. He also likes to do a lot of hard-hitting things in a row to the raid (in the span of 8 seconds I get hit with Ratzon for ~4.8k followed by two Tiferets for ~6.4k each during the circle section and immediately after) which means a lot of active AOE healing.

I think it's just a lot more raid-wide damage really fast, really early in the fight, so an adjustment period seems pretty normal while learning the timings.

Final phase seems more mechanics less raw damage but I just DPS things and have faith.

Sorian

Banned
Elysium killed A6S finally.

I haven't been following along, was there any indication of one of the bosses being massively easier/harder than the rest or mostly even design?

Looking at our last wipe last night, Tiferet (the big AOE in phase one) happens 11 times before we push. In that 11 casts, it manages to hit for a raid total of 500k damage which seems pretty nuts. He also likes to do a lot of hard-hitting things in a row to the raid (in the span of 8 seconds I get hit with Ratzon for ~4.8k followed by two Tiferets for ~6.4k each during the circle section and immediately after) which means a lot of active AOE healing.

I think it's just a lot more raid-wide damage really fast, really early in the fight, so an adjustment period seems pretty normal while learning the timings.

Final phase seems more mechanics less raw damage but I just DPS things and have faith.

When pinball starts, I focus a lot less on dps and a lot more on having faith :p

Squishy3

Yeah, the stomps go out pretty often throughout the entire first phase and that deals a lot of damage, god forbid anyone accidentally steps in one of the bubbles and gets a vuln debuff before the stack markers go out.

studyguy

Yeah, the stomps go out pretty often throughout the entire first phase and that deals a lot of damage, god forbid anyone accidentally steps in one of the bubbles and gets a vuln debuff before the stack markers go out.

INTO THE POOP, OUT OF THE POOP, FUCK I STEPPED IN THE POOP, OH FUCK HE TURNED AROUND NOOOOOOO

iammeiam

Elysium's pic also shows a tomestone.

So I expect to kill it week 8 when we've all gotten our pity Normal tomestones.

Also it sounds like Miunih's complaining the fight is bugged? God bless world firsters for beta testing these fights.

Squishy3

INTO THE POOP, OUT OF THE POOP, FUCK I STEPPED IN THE POOP, OH FUCK HE TURNED AROUND NOOOOOOO
Yeah, we made it through the entire first phase but we struggled with the bubble + swipe + circles bit because we were too focused on not overlapping the circles and not paying attention to moving behind the swipe.

Managed to get phase 1 down by the end of the night but everyone was tuckered out by the end of it and we ended up just running through A7 and 8 for the healer that subbed in because our other healer was stuck in traffic and then doing some Rav EX farming. (No birds ;_;)

Elysium's pic also shows a tomestone.

So I expect to kill it week 8 when we've all gotten our pity Normal tomestones.

Also it sounds like Miunih's complaining the fight is bugged? God bless world firsters for beta testing these fights.
Hopefully it's a bug and not just terribly designed.

Speaking of Savage, I totally expect there to be multiple hearts and even more indy boulders in 7, and I bet the knockback is cast way more in 8. And the twister is back

iammeiam

Hopefully it's a bug and not just terribly designed.

Well, he says:
No there's a bug where you just die around 7 minutes.
We threw away so many pulls.
Either that or there's something incredibly dumb as a mechanic, but 99% sure it's a bug, can't say specifics unfortunately.
The rest of the fight is REALLY fun!

So provided it is a bug and it gets fixed this explains a lot of the growing vague loathing showing up in Twitter comments while still letting the fight be fun. So I'm hoping it gets hotfixed and the rest of us get the fun fight without the random wipes.

Speaking of Savage, I totally expect there to be multiple hearts and even more indy boulders in 7, and I bet the knockback is cast way more in 8. And the twister is back

All I know is in the XIVDB status effects list for 3.2, at some point
Nisi is back, and it is pissed.
hoping they get it right this time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
When pinball starts, I focus a lot less on dps and a lot more on having faith :p
Im assuming that's the part with the blue AoEs that knock everyone around. What can you do as a BLM during that part? Swiftcast once and Scathe like a madman?

iammeiam

Here's the status effects list.

As much as I want to cringe about the return of Nisi, A8 normal did a lot of what A4 did, only better, (Perpetual Ray is no longer messing around), so I really think this could be a less stupid implementation given the general way the Savage fights are regarded this time.

Sorian

Banned
Im assuming that's the part with the blue AoEs that knock everyone around. What can you do as a BLM during that part? Swiftcast once and Scathe like a madman?

Basically, in all honesty it is a fairly quick segment. The dps check is lax too so concentrating more on surviving the mechanic is way more important than any semblance of a rotation at that point, you get a good chance for burst after it ends.

scy

for tank what is more important as a stat : block rate or block strength ?

Picking a non-Paladin Tank.

With Bulwark and Sheltron, you can make the argument for Block Strength over chance. The problem is you won't even really have a choice since they're all balanced Kite Shield archetypes at end game anyway. So it's pretty much a non-concern outside of niche scenarios dependent on the tier (and this isn't one of those tiers).

All-in-all the pinball stuff is 9 seconds (5s between first two, 4s between last two) so you're not missing a whole lot. I assume enter Blizzard at first Pillar of Mercy and just coast it until the last one and Swiftcast during restarting rotation and/or save for after markers go out.

Sorian

Banned
All-in-all the pinball stuff is 9 seconds (5s between first two, 4s between last two) so you're not missing a whole lot. I assume enter Blizzard at first Pillar of Mercy and just coast it until the last one and Swiftcast during restarting rotation and/or save for after markers go out.

If you want to get really fancy, I noticed my rotation worked out quite nicely where I finished an enochian rotation before pinball started. So I was able to SHARPcast fire right before pinball started, then enochian plus my free fire III and then swiftcast a fire IV. Then lost a global and was able to cast fire I once done and keep going from there.

Edit: Fixed the bolded, I suck at typing swift or sharp

studyguy

Picking a non-Paladin Tank.

With Bulwark and Sheltron, you can make the argument for Block Strength over chance. The problem is you won't even really have a choice since they're all balanced Kite Shield archetypes at end game anyway. So it's pretty much a non-concern outside of niche scenarios dependent on the tier (and this isn't one of those tiers).

Horizontal progression went out of the window ages ago as you mentioned, it's literally just a matter of looking what gives the best stats and secondaries you want at endgame with the type of shields we're offered at the end. Pre-endgame it's less so but not enough for it to realistically matter since you'll be replacing your shield like every couple levels.

Jayhawk

Layla from that Elysium static hasn't even cleared Sephirot normal, and they're all rocking i210 weapons. This is the 1% Bernie Sanders talked about.

I guess I have to gear up ARM this weekend for this.
Reddit Post said:

iammeiam

I Will be curious to see if EM are all sporting Seph weapons in the next few days. 6 to 7 seems to be where the dummy DPS expectations increase (the gap from 5 to 6 seems to be generally a little over half the jump from 6 to 7.)

So it's under for us mere mortals to gear up with tome weapons first, but will EM just go straight i210 throughout or opt for the WD jump?

Sorian

Banned
I Will be curious to see if EM are all sporting Seph weapons in the next few days. 6 to 7 seems to be where the dummy DPS expectations increase (the gap from 5 to 6 seems to be generally a little over half the jump from 6 to 7.)

So it's under for us mere mortals to gear up with tome weapons first, but will EM just go straight i210 throughout or opt for the WD jump?

I'm willing to eat crow but I think there is ZERO chance of anyone clearing A7S with 210 weapons. This extends far into the future when A8S is on super farm and people are going back to try things for bonus street cred.

Edit: Of course, this offer does not extend to ridiculously high ilvl in other slots or echo.

Kenai

Little Ladies Day event is amazing for all the right reasons and multiple wrong ones. You heard it here first (or maybe not)

scy

It is interesting to see despite all the "fuck this fight" going on, Miunih's take on it is outside of the bug, it's actually a really fun fight. So that's really good to be hearing here.

studyguy

Little Ladies Day event is amazing for all the right reasons and multiple wrong ones. You heard it here first (or maybe not)

I've missed like legit 3 events by now iirc out of sheer lack of interest.
Saying this one is interesting is setting a low bar but is it actually INTERESTING or is it just more interesting than talking to an NPC and getting another item to throw in my armoire?

Ken

I've missed like legit 3 events by now iirc out of sheer lack of interest.
Saying this one is interesting is setting a low bar but is it actually INTERESTING or is it just more interesting than talking to an NPC and getting another item to throw in my armoire?

It's cute but I thought the reward getting was pretty bad. You have to run back and forth delivering an item for a repeatable quest a minimum seven times if you want all the unique items.

Sorian

Banned
It's cute but I thought the reward getting was pretty bad. You have to run back and forth delivering an item for a repeatable quest a minimum six times if you want all the unique items.

Zzzzzzz

The last time there was a semi interesting event was that Halloween one where you got glamoured as key NPCs and did that parade thing down the uldah street.

Ken

Zzzzzzz

The last time there was a semi interesting event was that Halloween one where you got glamoured as key NPCs and did that parade thing down the uldah street.

On the bright side it probably takes less time to do this than it did to wait for that FATE plus figuring out the mechanic!

Top Bottom