• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

So simple endgame advice needed. Which is better? Doing the weekly clan hunt and using the centrino seals on new armor while I earn esoterics or saving the seals and keep my shitty armor until I get enough esoterics and/or dungeon drops? I have about 220 seals now and also need a weapon I'm still ilvl 145

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do you know how many Avatar Korras there are scattered across the servers? There would be so much salt over forced changing of Names + I assume their housing system would basically implode without massive reworking. I will say the game has never had a problem attracting new blood, it just maybe needs to get better at getting them to try harder things.
That's a pretty good point, hadn't thought about that. Just think of all the Kiritos...

Could have something similar to Blizzard's BattleTag system where you can uniquely identify people through that I guess. Probably not worth the worth the effort.
People might say this is a "ded gaem"

Oh wait
Probably.

Valor

So simple endgame advice needed. Which is better? Doing the weekly clan hunt and using the centrino seals on new armor while I earn esoterics or saving the seals and keep my shitty armor until I get enough esoterics and/or dungeon drops? I have about 220 seals now and also need a weapon I'm still ilvl 145

Hmm. Maybe grabbing a handful of those pieces of gear would help. I do kind of think you should save up for the weapon with esoterics since it's one of the best available right now to you. Maybe others have differing opinions.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I like that new High Mythrite Armor and the helmet reminds me of Griffith's from Berserk, but the MB prices are outrageous, each piece ranging from 3-8 million gil.

Does Machinist get much better at level 60? Right now I'm at 54 and it is still a pretty dull class to play. Only fun part is clean shot and slug shot plus hellfire and hot shot right now. That is not to say I am not enjoying it. Much more fun than archer or something.

Edit: Gauss stuff is cool to turn into a gun mage.

CcMLAsQW4AAneCx.jpg:orig

Third time's a charm.

Squishy3

Sigh I'm hoping it isnt another recruit-a-friend. But who am i kidding, id pay $100 for one
Well, Zu is from a spoil from airship voyages, I'd think Bennu would be a rare drop ala Nightmare or possibly the one for getting all of them. (Although it'd be weird he's already in the game assets if that's the case.)

Sorian

Banned
Well, Zu is from a spoil from airship voyages, I'd think Bennu would be a rare drop ala Nightmare or possibly the one for getting all of them. (Although it'd be weird he's already in the game assets if that's the case.)

Saw this on reddit earlier, doubt it personally.

It's good at teaching things such as "standing in orange is bad" and "kill enemy healers and mages" but at no point does it actually teach you how to play a class.

Oh, well that's true, I guess there's really no tanking aid in the game other than that.

Tanking guide is solid as shit down to macros.

Yeah, I had read some comments on the tanking section of it and just assumed the helpfulness also applied to the other class sections as well.

Sorian

Banned
I mean, it's gotta be something if it's in the game assets already.

Inb4 2% drop from T12

No it doesn't, all of the assets can be added far before the thing is actually obtainable.

It's also my understanding the whistle to summon it is not in the game yet.

Omni

I've done... 15 runs of Ravana today. Haven't seen mount yet. What is the drop rate?

At the very least it doesn't take very long. With me solo healing and just one tank in the party, we can have six dps going at it. He burns veeeeery quickly.

Squishy3

I've done... 15 runs of Ravana today. Haven't seen mount yet. What is the drop rate?

At the very least it doesn't take very long. With me solo healing and just one tank in the party, we can have six dps going at it. He burns veeeeery quickly.
The statistic I've seen tossed around is somewhere in the 8-10% area.

I saw a PF group for 5 black mages/1 bard earlier today. If they ever got the 5 BLMs, I bet Ravana absolutely melted. A well-geared BLM's Fire IV can crit for like 15k during offensive stances.

aceface

Man they hit the sweet spot on Midas normal this time. At current gear it's just challenging enough to be interesting for casuals like me but not so challenging that every mistake wipes you. It's the "just challenging enough" level that like, AK normal and CT used to be before they made the dungeons and 24 man raids faceroll.

Sandfox

Well I think I might be ready to return quicker than I thought. I probably just burned myself out trying to grind and I'll just limit my play to one or two set days a week.

Omni

The statistic I've seen tossed around is somewhere in the 8-10% area.

I saw a PF group for 5 black mages/1 bard earlier today. If they ever got the 5 BLMs, I bet Ravana absolutely melted. A well-geared BLM's Fire IV can crit for like 15k during offensive stances.
Mhmm. Guess I'll keep at it then! Also I saw the Thordan bird earlier... Which is really cool. The thought of farming that with random groups again is daunting though xD Will probably stick to Bismarck and Ravana since they're easiest.

Man they hit the sweet spot on Midas normal this time. At current gear it's just challenging enough to be interesting for casuals like me but not so challenging that every mistake wipes you. It's the "just challenging enough" level that like, AK normal and CT used to be before they made the dungeons and 24 man raids faceroll.
It's fun, sure. Though I tried to run through A5 with someone in my FC and we really struggled. Guess it's still early days but it seems very punishing for casual players. Trying to clear it at least once every week is going to be frustrating.

Midas is definitely difficult. I still can't clear Alexander Midas 7 with df after about six tries. People got so fucking salty that it was actually hilarious. One guy was screaming "FOCUS ON THE FUCKING HEART" and another was like haha you keep dying to boulders. Ugh, bunch of kids. This is why I hate df in general. Probably more calm on a European data center because everyone has such attitude on primal. I'll clear it tomorrow, hopefully. It is definitely a tough fight even when you know mechanics. Other healer wasn't cleric hitting the heart either.... Man, if you are gonna heal at least make yourself useful and know how to stance dance. It irritates me so much when they don't. Seriously though.... it isn't THAT hard but when you have crybabies and immature fucking children, that's a different story.

Hah....hah I don't even want to know what savage of this fight looks like. Probably worse than A4 because Yoshida loves to lie.

Can't wait for Alexander Midas floor eight :D

Omni

God forbid a healer doesn't want to dps when they're new to a fight. In a party full of random people. In a fight that's designed without any healer dps in mind at all.

Such a silly thing to cry about. It's normal, not savage.

EDIT. Not an attack towards ^ that person. Sorry. Just a rant.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
A7 is really easy
with good DPS
The thing about the heart is that it works like clouds in the World of Dank Memes.
People standing between it and the boss will slow it down.

Omni

you're new to the thread
:lol

I don't deny that healer DPS is a good thing. I always try to do it. But week one of the first challenging content in months, am I going to complain if a healer is trying to focus on mechanics and keeping everyone alive, instead of popping cleric stance so they can waste mana on missed attacks? Naa. If someone is that concerned about it, they should join a static or something.

If it was required for a clear, then sure. But it's not. I really don't like the elitist attitude from people I see in game regarding this stuff. //shrug.

A7 is really easy
with good DPS
The thing about the heart is that it works like clouds in the World of Dank Memes.
People standing between it and the boss will slow it down.

I do know that but the kids were attacking it from the back sometimes. 40 minutes or so of people arguing and no improvements on the fight. I think at one point it is beneficial to have both healers cleric dps the heart because it is manageable and the boss isn't throwing anything potentially harmful by that point. People need to stop worrying about what happens and focus on the heart, honestly. It was a nightmare. The heart also emerges fast when Allthoughts is at half health or below. Dps from a healer is very useful, imo, especially if there are dps roles that are on the floor after dying by boulders.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Kinda glad I burned through Midas and Sephirot out of the gate, all my DF players were more than competent and patient with each other, even when I had to go back and play a couple of them over for my drop.

Stuart444

God forbid a healer doesn't want to dps when they're new to a fight. In a party full of random people. In a fight that's designed without any healer dps in mind at all.

Such a silly thing to cry about. It's normal, not savage.

I generally agree with this. If you're new to a fight and still learning it, if you're not confident, dpsing as a healer probably isn't the best idea. Especially in DF.

Once you're used to a fight, it's easy enough to adjust as needed depending on amount of new people and amount of stupidity in a DF group.

Teknoman

As a Paladin should you be stance dancing in such a fight these days? Or is the extra bit of damage negligible / pointless since you could lose enmity?

As a Paladin should you be stance dancing in such a fight these days? Or is the extra bit of damage negligible / pointless since you could lose enmity?

Depends on content and your trust of healers/knowledge of the fight to use cooldowns properly. You should be able to hold hate if you were pounding a boss under shield oath for at least a minute

Omni

I generally agree with this. If you're new to a fight and still learning it, if you're not confident, dpsing as a healer probably isn't the best idea. Especially in DF.

Once you're used to a fight, it's easy enough to adjust as needed depending on amount of new people and amount of stupidity in a DF group.
In Seph Ex a couple of days ago, I had people questioning why I wasn't doing much dps on my WHM aside from the opener. MP issues aside, I actually had to explain that since I was new to the fight like everyone else, coupled with the amount of AoE damage going around, I didn't feel completely comfortable in doing so yet.

Maybe I was wrong. But that's what I do in almost every trial or raid while I'm learning. I'd rather just sit and focus on the mechanics instead of being caught off-guard or unprepared.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Seems like a common sense stance to me. But this is the Internet and sometimes people like to assume the absolute worst about other players before giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes too.

Stuart444

In Seph Ex a couple of days ago, I had people questioning why I wasn't doing much dps on my WHM aside from the opener. MP issues aside, I actually had to explain that since I was new to the fight like everyone else, coupled with the amount of AoE damage going around, I didn't feel completely comfortable in doing so yet.

Maybe I was wrong. But that's what I do in almost every trial or raid while I'm learning. I'd rather just sit and focus on the mechanics instead of being caught off-guard or unprepared.

Nah, you were in the right. It's better, especially when new to focus on learning and doing your primary job. If you're trying to juggle healing, dpsing & learning the fight, then you may end up letting the party down by forgetting to heal or healing someone that needs it too late.

IvorB

I tried A7 for the first time yesterday and I really liked it. It's a really fun fight. Antitiower was also really great.

Sifl

I think there should be a PSA for AST's to go easy on the arrow cards for Monks. I was running out of tp before we even got to the adds in Sephirot Ex, luckily I got the spire a few times.

Valor

Does Machinist get much better at level 60? Right now I'm at 54 and it is still a pretty dull class to play. Only fun part is clean shot and slug shot plus hellfire and hot shot right now. That is not to say I am not enjoying it. Much more fun than archer or something.

Edit: Gauss stuff is cool to turn into a gun mage.
I mean it depends on what you find dull or exciting about classes in general, I suppose. From 54 you get Rend MInd, Hypercharge, and Ricochet. The latter two really round the class out and let you use your turret friend for more things than just set and forget. Ricochet can help up that wildfire damage. The class is basically still the same set up though.

As you should. You can't do dps when you're dead. It's more people have issue with those who say "I am a healer it is my job to heal not to do anything else." I think most people agree that stance is kind of silly.

I think there should be a PSA for AST's to go easy on the arrow cards for Monks. I was running out of tp before we even got to the adds in Sephirot Ex, luckily I got the spire a few times.
{Purification} {Do you have it set?}
jk there's basically no time to ramp up chakra stacks during phase 1 unless you detach from the boss for circles and even then...

I don't like this excuse at all. We wiped 6 or so times and by that point, people should have been adapting already. I always try to get some dps in even as an Astrologian. Usually, I put in a few Malefic II and then combust II, combust, Aero, and then disable. Even if I am new to a fight, I always incorporate stance dancing in my playstyle. If you want to sit there and be a lazy healer who won't dps the heart because 2 or more people in the party are dead, it is going to be a wipe even when you focus on raising. At that point, people shouldn't be complaining at all. Healing comes first but healers can do some good dps and people are just afraid to do it in a new fight. Learn the pattern and adapt and after 6 or so wipes it shouldn't be hard to know when to dps or not. I can't imagine how boring healing is without stance dancing, actually. When I'm using my SCH, I always dps and heal at a equal amount.

I kind of feel that people in the df don't know how to make their jobs useful sometimes. You always get that one healer that likes to stand there and wait for tank hp to go down before putting another heal up.

First attempt today and already people abandoned. Sighhhhh

Top Bottom