• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

impact

Banned
When your FC does goes raiding but you can never join because they don't want ASTs and have two other healers who are on way more than you that both play the roles they prefer.

Feels bad.
Damn. I was about to level AST since my DRK is max but are they not good? Seems way cooler than SCH or WHM but I'd rather not level a lolpup class.

iammeiam

Damn. I was about to level AST since my DRK is max but are they not good? Seems way cooler than SCH or WHM but I'd rather not level a lolpup class.

Unless you're talking serious world-first progression (and based on how Midas is going maybe even if you are), AST's weaknesses aren't a big deal. They have a slightly weaker healing kit than WHM but it's functional enough. Optimization-wise WHM/SCH wins, but almost nothing in this game really needs optimization.

Play it if you want. It's fun. It's functional. Its problems are only evident in situations relevant to only a few.

Besides, this week's outcast job is next patch's flavor of the month.

ebil

AST works fine in all current content. ASTs have been clearing everything including the current hardest fights in the game (well, not A7s or A8s obviously, but there's nothing we know yet that indicates that they can't).

It was pretty badly designed at release and they've been playing catch up ever since, which means that the job has to put up with a pretty nasty stigma right now. But it's functional.

edit: even our MCH seemed to express relief when I switched from AST to SCH after our first lockout of learning Seph X to get the hang of it on SCH, even though healing never even came close to being a problem in this fight.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AST works fine in all current content. ASTs have been clearing everything including the current hardest fights in the game (well, not A7s or A8s obviously, but there's nothing we know yet that indicates that they can't).

It was pretty badly designed at release and they've been playing catch up ever since, which means that the job has to put up with a pretty nasty stigma right now. But it's functional.

edit: even our MCH seemed to express relief when I switched from AST to SCH after our first lockout of learning Seph X to get the hang of it on SCH, even though healing never even came close to being a problem in this fight.

Not going to lie, I feel safer with that fairy around.

Wow, just kept getting constantly disconnected from the server (after 10+ second spikes of lag... or just nothing moving aside from me) during roulette just now.

And my connection is fine on my end. Never had that happen before. I somehow got tomes though but I feel pretty dirty about it.

ebil

Not going to lie, I feel safer with that fairy around.
SCH is much better at carrying mistakes than AST is with its beefy CDs, that's for sure. It's the main reason I'm not full-timing AST until it's better, which may or may not happen.

edgefusion

Been on Odin for a while now - can confirm everything you've read about French players is 1,000% true. Makes me want to transfer back to an NA server just to be away from them :v

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The new dungeons are pretty fun. Definitely a step up from Fractal and Alwaysreap imo. Lost City is super pretty once you hit the halfway point.

The anti-speedrun wall things are mildly annoying but even with that they don't seem to take too long.

I had the most awkward and frustrating dungeon experience in vault tonight as my MCH. Basically.... this guy was an arsehole or confused player. I dunno but he was really stupid. He started off by saying "area of effect attack" because I wasn't using much AOE attacks. I said ok I'll use them. We beat the first boss with no problem and then out of nowhere he just tells me to "machinist limit break" the regular enemies. At that point, he just STOPPED everything he was doing to see me lb. I did it, we died, and he rage quit. I had to ask someone from my LS to replace the garbage tank. Mannnn, primal data center really has some hard arses.

Like what the fuck... honestly. Why the hell would I LB a frickin trash deacon?

I cleared it once with a random group on third attempt but I didn't get the drop so for the past 2 hours (incl search times) I've tried to clear with randoms to no avail.

Just barely managed to get a clear and shaft drop with a pretty good PUG. The fight is amazingly fun but something tells me this is something I should probably run with the GAF guild (same with other floors and maybe even Sephirot EX).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Like what the fuck... honestly. Why the hell would I LB a frickin trash deacon?

Caster and ranger LB is pretty much half the damage of a melee LB on every target it hits. Which means that when used on two enemies, it's about the same damage output, but when used on 3 and more, it's actually more efficient to use an AOE LB.

The thing with dungeons and LBs is that they basically do not matter in the large scheme of things. However from the pure mathematical standpoint it's faster to
- Use LB as soon as it's up
- If at all possible, use an AOE LB on a large mob pack (3 and more).

It only makes sense to keep LB at 100% of the gauge if you know for a fact you're gonna want to save it for some sort of mechanic (could be something as trivial as pushing phases in the last boss of Sastasha). Otherwise just light it up.
What LB is not is that it's not a finishing move designed to kill off a boss. That's completely wasteful.

GAMERG0D

After I cleared Midas I queued with at least 12 groups for a 2nd clear then after that I found a group and I cleared it a 3rd time although we died 3 times. Getting the 2nd clear took 3 hours of queuing and battling though. It was rough but after the 3rd clear I got the crank and now I have DRG gloves. Getting helmet and boots today.

Kyonashi

Looking for some advice about server transfers - I'm currently on Hyperion (NA Legacy) but I'm a UK player who never played legacy...

Used to be in a good FC 'round the release of HW but it fell apart whilst I took a break and now that I'm finishing off the HW story and doing 3.1/3.2 content would be nice to have an FC who I could be friendly with and be cool with teaching a casual player like me some of the more hardcore aspects of the game outside story (crafting, top-tier gear, raids, The Hunt etc.)

If I were to move to the Chaos data centre now its focused on EU, which would be the best world for a casual UK player like me looking to see a bit more of what the game has to offer? I'm a SMN with ~280 hours under my belt.

xxczx

If I were to move to the Chaos data centre now its focused on EU, which would be the best world for a casual UK player like me looking to see a bit more of what the game has to offer? I'm a SMN with ~280 hours under my belt.
Cerberus.

Ragnarok has the whole toxic community going on, Odin is 50/50, Phoenix is a dying server, Lich is pony farm server and the rest are not really noticeable.

tgl3

Neo Member
Cerberus.

Ragnarok has the whole toxic community going on, Odin is 50/50, Phoenix is a dying server, Lich is pony farm server and the rest are not really noticeable.

Confirming Cerberus for best EU server. It's primarily English & UK, with a good amount of parties up for various end content and static recruitment all the time. RMT spam is low/non existent (it's been weeks since I've seen any), people are chill and market prices are (from my admittedly limited experience) decent.

Kyonashi

Cerberus.

I've heard Ragnarok is super Toxic, and Phoenix is really french.
What do you mean by Odin being 50/50?

I think I'm choosing between Cerberus, Shiva and Odin.

Thorgal

I can also recommend Cerberus .

unless all of them are packed in the endgame content (which i haven't gotten to yet ) I have yet to meet a single instance of the " elitist asshole going on a tangent in chat insulting everyone " type of player.

also ,now that i think of it , it 's been almost a month since i have seen an RMT message in chat .

xxczx

Every single person from Ragnarok I've met in DF/PvP/forums are always pretty rude and then there is Angered FC.

Come Cerberus if you're into PvP too. We are the largest EU PvP server :)

Yeah I know how Angered and Solitude can be but I usually didn't bother with them. Then again, I usually just hung out with my FC so I might be biased.

ebil

Ah, okay. Are there any sites that show the geography of the worlds? Seems weird I'd have to just ask around rather than easily find out.
I don't think so? I just know from experience that Moogle is the unofficial French server and Shiva is the unofficial German server. Though you'll find French and German players on all EU servers obviously.

Honestly, I'd say go with Cerberus. It has a pretty good reputation and I'd probably transfer there if I had to (though I don't personally find Ragnarok to be terrible or particularly toxic in the first place except for the aforementioned FC, but I haven't played on every other EU server and I don't like talking out of my ass).

I wonder what people say about Midgarsomor and Lamia

As much as I loved Midgar, there wasn't a whole lot of activity and just people who goof off alot. It also started to have a bit of ERP pop up in Limsa for a time being.

Lamia seems to be a huge raid community, and it's share of dicks as some party finder comments wanted Seph EX clears Day 3 "Know the fight or get kicked" comments.

Omni

I wonder what people say about Midgarsomor and Lamia

As much as I loved Midgar, there wasn't a whole lot of activity and just people who goof off alot. It also started to have a bit of ERP pop up in Limsa for a time being.

Lamia seems to be a huge raid community, and it's share of dicks as some party finder comments wanted Seph EX clears Day 3 "Know the fight or get kicked" comments.
You're on Lamia too? What's your character's name? o:

Caster and ranger LB is pretty much half the damage of a melee LB on every target it hits. Which means that when used on two enemies, it's about the same damage output, but when used on 3 and more, it's actually more efficient to use an AOE LB.

The thing with dungeons and LBs is that they basically do not matter in the large scheme of things. However from the pure mathematical standpoint it's faster to
- Use LB as soon as it's up
- If at all possible, use an AOE LB on a large mob pack (3 and more).

It only makes sense to keep LB at 100% of the gauge if you know for a fact you're gonna want to save it for some sort of mechanic (could be something as trivial as pushing phases in the last boss of Sastasha). Otherwise just light it up.
What LB is not is that it's not a finishing move designed to kill off a boss. That's completely wasteful.

Ah right... well I never use the Machinist limitbreak really and I do agree that lb isn't a coup de grace type of thing but the guy was still being a gigantic arsehole, if anything. It shows because when I used the lb, he decided to rage quit. I'll keep that in mind for next time. I just can't stand ignorant people that tell me to do something when they can't even play their own role right :p

As for my server... (Lamia) it does have a fair share of ignorant people and it also has some annoyances. Other than that, it is pretty great but I wouldn't recommend it to people as a good server or anything. You will be lucky if you even get some people who stay on Leviathan EX or something after falling off the boat. The only reason I'm on Lamia is because my community is there even though there isn't much of one, atm. If I had the choice, I would change servers immediately but it is up to them really.

Edit: Yeah, the pf isn't very good on Lamia. I went in a learning party for Seph EX for the third time and people rage quit because we couldn't get past phase 2 -.- So much for learning!

Top Bottom