• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Arkeband

Banned
The bosses in the new dungeons are pretty cool but the trash is such a chore. They don't drop anything, most of them are just HP sponges, and worst of all, there are multiple fights where more trash mobs join halfway through.

BadRNG

The bosses in the new dungeons are pretty cool but the trash is such a chore. They don't drop anything, most of them are just HP sponges, and worst of all, there are multiple fights where more trash mobs join halfway through.
Outside of the cool Dragon Age II style reinforcement that everyone loved and wanted in more games, everything you just mentioned is the same for all trash in this game. They are just there to waste your time in between tome pinatas. These only look worse to me because you can't chain pull the entire instance with all the barricades or reinforcement stuff.

Actually not sure why they decided to go that route, I thought they got the whole trash design thing down to a science now, most stuff has been short and gigantic train pull friendly since like 2.3.

iammeiam

Does it matter? This is the only way that makes sense design wise, and whether they planned for it or not I'm glad they changed it. Like was said above though, it is a bit difficult to imagine them changing it based on feedback. Can't think of a time they've reacted to something like that this quickly. We didn't even get the "nah it's fine you guys just haven't gotten used to it" phase! Or the month long silence before mentioning it offhand in live letter without any actual details of what changes will be to address the complaints.

There's a process they got to go through. A terrible pointless process.

I'm mostly entertained by the idea that 7 is already the floor with the slightly abnormal loot setup (since it has the extra chest of random non-pant item from prior floors), and that nobody at any point realized that it was missing an entire item and they coded the vendor exchange improperly. I also kind of think they had to make the change or at least announce before people started dropping pages on twine or they wind up in the i210 weapon situation where fixing it later is a logistical nightmare.

From a design perspective, I no longer get why they don't just go full coil with it and let twine cover the weapons too. Gobdip was already one of the shortest relevant shelf life items in the game; the previous progression setup to gate weapon iLevel at least explains why it exists. Now it's just inventory clutter to be inventory clutter.

Sticking the higher iLevel weapon in an earlier floor is neat and all, but the whole thing is kind of funny.

BadRNG

From a design perspective, I no longer get why they don't just go full coil with it and let twine cover the weapons too. Gobdip was already one of the shortest relevant shelf life items in the game; the previous progression setup to gate weapon iLevel at least explains why it exists. Now it's just inventory clutter to be inventory clutter.
It makes sense to me, I guess. Realistically speaking, if it was still linked to all left side then you'd have 8 weeks of just using it on weapons. They, for whatever reason, want people to be able to upgrade their left side armor and their weapon. They don't want it a one or the other thing anymore (and to be honest not sure why it should be when that's not even a fair one or the other for 99% of scenarios). Possibly same reason the accesory dip works on belts now when used to you needed the left side for belts and no one ever would choose that. At the very least this makes more sense from a design perspective than sticking it in A8S so you can upgrade the tome weapon that is inferior to the weapon you get from the same floor.

It is however amazingly sad/funny that this got through if it is an honest mistake.

iammeiam

It makes sense to me, I guess. Realistically speaking, if it was still linked to all left side then you'd have 8 weeks of just using it on weapons. They, for whatever reason, want people to be able to upgrade their left side armor and their weapon.

Not in the brave new pages world, you don't. 8 weeks is enough for everyone in the group to get three upgrade items if they want. If they wanted to give people more upgrades faster, just drop another twine? I'm cynically expecting the actual reason to be so they can patch gobtwine into Void Ark 2 and leave the weapons upgradable out to cater to the AFK ledge status crowd, even though with this change they're now the same level of status symbol.

Sorian

Banned
Outside of the cool Dragon Age II style reinforcement that everyone loved and wanted in more games, everything you just mentioned is the same for all trash in this game. They are just there to waste your time in between tome pinatas. These only look worse to me because you can't chain pull the entire instance with all the barricades or reinforcement stuff.

Actually not sure why they decided to go that route, I thought they got the whole trash design thing down to a science now, most stuff has been short and gigantic train pull friendly since like 2.3.

Wasn't 2.3 around the time where they got pissy and started putting up useless barriers between each boss room? Brayflox HM was perfect but I seem to remember SE getting their panties in a bunch because people were speed running dungeons.

Wasn't 2.3 around the time where they got pissy and started putting up useless barriers between each boss room? Brayflox HM was perfect but I seem to remember SE getting their panties in a bunch because people were speed running dungeons.
Those Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep speed runs. Fun times. Not really.

iammeiam

I've gotten so used to the gating to prevent megapulls in dungeons that my default answer to "Can I pull big?" is just immediate yeah.

That one time I learned just how big the pull after the first boss in PS HM could get was definitely something.

studyguy

poopydance.gif

No time this week so we spent forever just trying to get birb drops and failing
FUCK BIRDS

I would LOVE if I could do my EXDR that fast these days. No need to have faux bad memories because there was no other way to gather tomes back then.
I remember people discussing how to get under a certain amount of minutes and people having fucking timers. White Mage not Holy Spamming while ensuring the tank stayed alive and not going OOM? GTFO! Warriors and Scholars not welcome.

As stupid as all that was, there is a certain joy and getting your tomes done for the week within an hour or two.

squadr0n

If I have FFXIV already downloaded and installed on one PC, is there a good way to just transfer it to another PC so I dont have to download the entire game again? Its not on my steam account, wish it was thought because that would make this alot easier.

studyguy

If I have FFXIV already downloaded and installed on one PC, is there a good way to just transfer it to another PC so I dont have to download the entire game again? Its not on my steam account, wish it was thought because that would make this alot easier.

Pull the HDD out put it in the other PC?
That's what I did. Works fine. Just make sure you drag along the folder associated with it that holds the macro/UI data.

squadr0n

Pull the HDD out put it in the other PC?
That's what I did. Works fine. Just make sure you drag along the folder associated with it that holds the macro/UI data.

It on my laptop, but I was just planning on transfering it to a external HDD. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything special I needed to do before attempting it.

Redx508

copy the game from
(C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn) to the new pc and use ffxivboot.exe to open it

for your settings/ui copy this folder to the same folder on the new pc
(C:\Users\yourname\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn)

you don't want the steam version of this game

Valor

Is there a up to date guide on where the fastest leveling spots are for a particular set of levels ?

Something like this :https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3evabr/guide_to_leveling

Looks about right. Dungeons give a ton of exp now. On even levels from 50-60 you'll want to run your roulettes and other stuff to get a chunk of exp, as well as Vanu and Gnath dailies. Odd levels you get bonus experience from those dungeons. You can supplement everything with fates and stuff as well.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So I had a bit of a revelation. DoH jobs are the same as DoW or DoM. You play different role and can use abilities from one job to another. So, my question is this: Which jobs should I do if I'm going take my Carpenter to 60? I hear Waste Not and Hasty Touch are good abilities for a Carpenter to have.

Jayhawk

So I had a bit of a revelation. DoH jobs are the same as DoW or DoM. You play different role and can use abilities from one job to another. So, my question is this: Which jobs should I do if I'm going take my Carpenter to 60? I hear Waste Not and Hasty Touch are good abilities for a Carpenter to have.

If you want to get serious at crafting, you're going to need every crafting class at 54+ for cross-class skills. 60 everything if you want to be able to make most of the materials you need.

Thinking of buying a Mac. Anyone know if FFXIV is cross-play with PC and PlayStation? How well does it play?

It can be set up to be cross play if you register both clients to one account.

However:
You need multiple licenses. So both a regular and a Heavensward copy. If there's another expansion, you need to buy a copy for each platform.
Also certain things like the hot bars, HUD, and equipment sets are stored locally.

As for how good it is, the last time they tried it was a disaster - they had to pull it and refund people. At the minimum I'd wait until it was out and reviewed.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to get serious at crafting, you're going to need every crafting class at 54+ for cross-class skills. 60 everything if you want to be able to make most of the materials you need.

Eeehh. You know what I would really like? To join an instance and hunt for some really cool stuff. But I don't have anything open in the endgame of ARR or HW.

Squishy3

Man, the Fist of the Son (Savage) dummy really expects you to have mostly i220 stuff. Granted, I can probably beat it if I get a Sephirot weapon. I hit 0% with 1 second left and it still didn't count as a clear. :lol

BadRNG

Man, the Fist of the Son (Savage) dummy really expects you to have mostly i220 stuff. Granted, I can probably beat it if I get a Sephirot weapon. I hit 0% with 1 second left and it still didn't count as a clear. :lol
Isn't Fist A5? Definitely do not expect you to be i220, that'd be way overkill.

Squishy3

Isn't Fist A5? Definitely do not expect you to be i220, that'd be way overkill.
I just mean a few more i220 pieces than I have. It feels off because it doesn't feel like I should be cutting it that close. (I tried again just now and cleared right at 1 second left with 1,455 DPS, no food. I'm i214 with a 210 weapon still.)

I guess the other thing might be if the dummies are tuned higher to account for the fact you don't need to deal with mechanics while doing them. (edit: and now my ACT bugged out and said I cleared the Sephirot EX dummy with 791 DPS. lol)

iammeiam

I just mean a few more i220 pieces than I have. It feels off because it doesn't feel like I should be cutting it that close. (I tried again just now and cleared right at 1 second left with 1,455 DPS, no food. I'm i214 with a 210 weapon still.)

A5S dummy is pretty much tuned around full i210 though.

I had my first wipe ever in Amdapor HM today. It was very embarrassing sadly. On the second boss, I think he did his ultimate holy attack and not everyone was paying attention to the enemies so we wiped. In chat, people were like "lol never died here" I said the same because that dungeon is so easy, honestly. I feel a bit ashamed but at least it wasn't my fault. DPS BRD was so terrible. We finished the dungeon at like 41 minutes left.

Top Bottom