• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Stuart444

Adds on the final boss. Clicking trapdoors is hard.

You can ignore them and still win quite easily though.

What about CM? The bomb is now invincible until it explodes o_O?

Having to always guess which colored button to press is kind of unfair and the extra trash it spawns wastes a lot of time.

Guess? LOL. takes one person to quickly check. I usually end up doing it regardless of my class and shout it out in party/push the button myself when we get there.

Sorian

Banned
Guess? LOL. takes one person to quickly check. I usually end up doing it regardless of my class and shout it out in party/push the button myself when we get there.

thatsthejoke.jpg

iammeiam

Wait. All those nerfs and they didn't hit Lost City? Nerfing first boss to make it soloable for books would have actually had some value. :|

Jayhawk

If the contents of eight treasure coffers are in the loot list and a ninth treasure coffer is discovered, the contents of the first treasure coffer will be distributed to the party automatically.

It's like Dynamis! Gotta roll on loot quickly, guys!

Baleoce

Some decent QoL stuff in there. I think this patch is mostly going to be people spamming exploration for various different reasons. With all the side content to do, I doubt people will even notice the ex roulette fatigue that we've experienced in this patch. Think I'm going to use this catch up patch as an opportunity to switch to BLM fulltime.

Sorian

Banned
Does anyone else appreciate that one of the beast tribe quests is named Nest Side Story? Or is that just me?

Glad they still let N'uadha name the quests.

scy

Still a bit surprised at twines from hunts. Kind of forgot that option showing up in 3.1.

Wait. All those nerfs and they didn't hit Lost City? Nerfing first boss to make it soloable for books would have actually had some value. :|

Only HM changes were Copperbell and Haukke too which is confusing itself.

and here everyone though Aery and Vault nerfs. guess thats 3.2.

Squishy3

Still a bit surprised at twines from hunts. Kind of forgot that option showing up in 3.1.

Only HM changes were Copperbell and Haukke too which is confusing itself.

and here everyone though Aery and Vault nerfs. guess thats 3.2.
the idea of an aery nerf is absurd to me because nothing whatsoever about that dungeon is hard unless the dps decide not to break anyone out of prison

iammeiam

They'll nerf the Aery the day after I finally convince everyone letting the healer handle the tether mechanic every time is fastest.

Jayhawk

What's this "we" shit? You're a SeeDling now, Traitorhawk

You were never a dancer in the first place. Your boarding pass and macro privileges have been revoked.

And the group pictures you're taking with your static isn't full GAF. Who is the traitor now?

Valor

You were never a dancer in the first place. Your boarding pass and macro privileges have been revoked.

And the group pictures you're taking with your static isn't full GAF. Who is the traitor now?

Whatever, man. You know you're gonna be begging for my captaincy skills soon enough!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
...Ultros has more people than Gilgamesh and Balmung. What. Are they all level 40?

*edit*: Oh thank god the 60 charts have them at top, crisis averted.

iammeiam

385K is probably overly optimistic based on that--that's all people with 60s, and we've seen attrition from people who capped post-expansion and since quit or gone dormant.

I am seriously surprised by some of the jobs at 60 numbers. Going off FFLogs, AST is the least popular job in endgame, followed by MCH. This despite DRK being the least popular combat 60, with MCH in second place. That's a lot of people leveling and then giving up on AST.

scy

Considering all the DRKs I remember seeing over time, surprised at the DRK number then. Edgelords where are you

Also, that moment of "Wow, thats a lot of Summoners" before realizing where I went wrong

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Ultros the second worst Primal server but still in the top 50% of servers, rip in peace non-Aether/Primal/Mana server groups.

Wilsongt

So those two hunt link shells I am in will become active again. People will zerg for a week to get all of their upgrade items and then forget they exist again.

Kinda getting tired of this predictability YoshiP.

Wagram

Ultros the second worst Primal server but still in the top 50% of servers, rip in peace non-Aether/Primal/Mana server groups.

I'm actually quite curious what the current subscription rate is. I logged in to save my mansion on Excalibur, and I seen very few people on from my friends list. Ultra dead linkshells.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They need to merge those PS4 servers together or something. Call them megaservers or w/e if they don't want the PR to hit. I'm not even sure why they added them.

I'm exaggerating (unless Ultros really is dead), but server mergers don't sound like the worst idea.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
In the lull before the patch? Probably like a couple of hundred thousand at most. Maybe going up to 300,000-400,000 for the patch, before drifting back down again. Rinse and repeat. The game's not dead or anything but I don't think it'll ever rise much about 500,000 again.

iammeiam

So those two hunt link shells I am in will become active again. People will zerg for a week to get all of their upgrade items and then forget they exist again.

Kinda getting tired of this predictability YoshiP.

It's totally different this time.

They'll zerg for a week, go dormant until December, and then zerg again when welfare gobdip becomes a thing. Double the lifespan!

(Seriously though, I remain convinced hunt twine and coat is a good thing for the game overall. It's predictable, but it's also something to look forward to for any group walled at A3S or before. Soft nerfs are good for everyone overall.)

I really hope the Mudra fix works. I've all but shelved my Ninja in favor of Monk due to how much worse the Mudra lag has gotten since 3.0 and the fact that Trick Attack does little for my static in A1S due to the way we kill the boss (split instead of all on one). Still plan to use it for A3S.

Demoskinos

Learning Dragoon. Any opinions about this rotation? Good/Bad?

Heavy Thrust - [Battle Litany + Blood for Blood] - Impulse Drive - [Internal Release + Blood of the Dragon] - Disembowel - Chaos Thrust - [Leg Sweep + Power Surge] - Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw [Jump] Phlebotomize [Dragonfire Dive] - True Thrust - [Spineshatter Dive] - Vorpal Thrust - [Life Surge] - Full Thrust - [Geirskogul] - Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw

IvorB

Heavy Thrust - [Battle Litany + Blood for Blood] - Impulse Drive - [Internal Release + Blood of the Dragon] - Disembowel - Chaos Thrust - [Leg Sweep + Power Surge] - Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw [Jump] Phlebotomize [Dragonfire Dive] - True Thrust - [Spineshatter Dive] - Vorpal Thrust - [Life Surge] - Full Thrust - [Geirskogul] - Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw

Wouldn't it be better to pop Blood of the Dragon directly before Chaos Thrust so you don't chew into your BotD time with Disembowel? Also maybe consider getting Phlebotomize in before BotG for the same reason and to get the dots ticking sooner.

scy

I'm exaggerating (unless Ultros really is dead), but server mergers don't sound like the worst idea.

Problem is that server merges always seem like a desperation thing to the public.

(Seriously though, I remain convinced hunt twine and coat is a good thing for the game overall. It's predictable, but it's also something to look forward to for any group walled at A3S or before. Soft nerfs are good for everyone overall.)

Will depend a lot on the cost of it. I didnt see mention of adjusting the daily ones so if its, say, 1500 per or something then it may lead to a lot of awkward hunting. Then again, hunting is always that kind of mess so maybe it will be the same ol thing anyway. I say all this fully knowing I may do it for last twine for pre-A4S BiS on WAR :|

WolvenOne

I doubt the problem is with overall populations, so much as it's that so much of the population has moved over to a few specific servers. What I think SE should do, is lock server transfers to the current highest population servers, and make server transfers to the lowest servers either free or heavily discounted.

Anyhow, yeesh there are adjusting a TON of old content this time around. I really hope that takes more of a back seat in the future, because it had to have eaten up a lot of man-hours. <_<;;

PS: Certain people I know are already ecstatic about Hunts being a thing again. Admittedly, at least one of these people is a horrible horrible troll, whose main joy is derived by pulling early and watching people go crazy. <_<;;;;;;

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Problem is that server merges always seem like a desperation thing to the public.

Yep, it's unavoidable even if it's ultimately a good move. Can't say one way or the other though since we don't see the same numbers SE does.

Valor

If you aren't using a potion, you want to pop a potion between Disembowel/Chaos Thrust. If you aren't using a potion you want Blood of the Dragon there instead just for peace of mind since it'll last a bit longer.

Also maybe consider getting Phlebotomize in before BotG for the same reason and to get the dots ticking sooner.
I wouldn't do this since you'd be handcuffing yourself with HT/Phleb forever, which is a lot of dead time you aren't working towards keeping or spending BotD. Plus if this is your opener you don't have a Disembowel bonus on that Phleb initial hit and you're using a B4B GCD on a non fully buffed attack which is, technically speaking, a loss.

Arkeband

Banned
385K is probably overly optimistic based on that--that's all people with 60s, and we've seen attrition from people who capped post-expansion and since quit or gone dormant.

I am seriously surprised by some of the jobs at 60 numbers. Going off FFLogs, AST is the least popular job in endgame, followed by MCH. This despite DRK being the least popular combat 60, with MCH in second place. That's a lot of people leveling and then giving up on AST.

The Square-Enix thread currently in Gaming (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1136123) shows a big spike for FFXIV at Heavensward's launch, and then an equally steep drop following it.

I can imagine that active subs are well under 385K, usually MMO's have most players sitting at level cap.

Here's WoW's distribution, for example:

http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/statsglobal-level-0-0.html

You can reasonably assume that the majority of players sitting at previous level caps are inactive accounts, as you never spend more than a few hours at each level, so incidental players "passing through" during this snapshot would be a minority.

edit: The guy in the Reddit thread also pointed this out:

Interestingly, there are only about 11k PCs who have at least 1 class above 50 (so have Heavensward for sure), but no classes at 60.

WolvenOne

I don't think it's safe to assume that only level capped players are active subs, considering how slow casual players are about leveling up.

PS: WoW also boosts a large portion of it's player-base to a higher starting level, where-as in FFXIV all new players start at level one and have to manually grind to sixty. So no it's not really logical to expect the ratio's to match WoW's perfectly.

aceface

The way they do housing seems like it would make server mergers tough, unless they just double the number of wards on each merged server.

Top Bottom