• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Alexander - The Arm of the Father (Savage)
The duration of stun and paralysis effects inflicted by standing on the outer edge of the battle field has been reduced.
The potency of Physical Vulnerability Up, Damage Down, and Healing Magic Down debuffs inflicted by Digititis has been reduced.
The required distance to alleviate damage dealt by Hand of Parting and Hand of Prayer has been reduced.
The duration of the Atrophy status effect inflicted by Ferrofluid has been reduced.
The duration of Throttle has been increased.
Damage dealt by Hand of Pain has been reduced.
Piston Lubricant's HP has been reduced.
The timing with which Piston Lubricant casts Mucilage has been adjusted.
Damage dealt by Outburst has been reduced.
The potency of Vulnerability Up inflicted by Outburst has been reduced.

latest

An issue wherein using the fisher action Cast without bait while performing an emote would allow the character to move without canceling the emote animation.
Why do you hate fun, Yoshida?

Tried to do Midas 3 before the maintenance. There was a Dark Knight in the party with full strength accessories at i220 or so. Was melded too, I think.

I asked him why he wasn't using VIT gear and he started swearing and saying stuff like VIT gear is only for bad tanks and crying healers. I lagged out after that but apparently he kept going on and was booted. I mean at this point... why wouldn't you want to increase your HP? He only had 15k or something in total which isn't really much considering the amount of damage that goes around now.

Some classes might want avoid a fending piece with parry, but even then I wouldn't risk going past 2 slaying accessories.

BadRNG

Lol at no A4S nerfs.
Echo + gear does that by itself. With sac method there's really no hard mechanics, and you can just out hp/damage the mechanics that are there.

RIP A3S though.

Some classes might want avoid a fending piece with parry, but even then I wouldn't risk going past 2 slaying accessories.
Maybe at end of tier, but wouldn't advise it right now, and the actual damage difference we talking about here even with a parry piece is tiny. Way way different than the old trade off with VIT/STR.

scy

Looks like the only mechanic they didn't touch was Drainage tether? And even that can be chalked up to gear-echo taking care of it.

RIP A3S, you got straight up T7'd.

Maybe at end of tier, but wouldn't advise it right now, and the actual damage difference we talking about here even with a parry piece is tiny. Way way different than the old trade off with VIT/STR.

It does beg the question of Crafted Fending vs Parry Fending at least. Though they managed to avoid that question this tier (worst i240 Fending has Parry on the Crafted too!). Maybe an argument for one crafted Ring or something.

Hate people that join pony runs, get their and say shit like "irl aggro sorry" when it's been only like 15 min when the run first started. 2 different groups and only needed 3 horses but people kept bailing after they got theirs minus the tank and healer.

I only need ramuh for Kirin sigh.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Echo + gear does that by itself. With sac method there's really no hard mechanics, and you can just out hp/damage the mechanics that are there.

You're gonna run into lol-no-LB3 problems with that.
Unless I guess bursting the third leg is possible ignoring the LB, which it should.

BadRNG

You're gonna run into lol-no-LB3 problems with that.
Unless I guess bursting the third leg is possible ignoring the LB, which it should.
Huh? You didn't need LB for 3rd leg even before echo. And honestly with what is it, 20%? echo and the huge ilevel increase you probably don't even need the LB3 raise. Just raise normally at worst, and even with brink you'd still be better off than people were before echo/gear buff.

Then there's also the lolWAR option, as with new gear and thrill I am pretty sure they can survive eating an orb.

iammeiam

Leg 3 without LB was doable at 3.0/3.1 gearing; at iLevels over i210 with 10% echo from the word go it shouldn't be a big deal, and I think the added DPS should make killing Strafs a much more viable option too all things considered. In a month when everyone has tome weapons... lol.

Funnily enough, I see trying to not kill Jagds as potentially the biggest challenge at this point.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Huh? You didn't need LB for 3rd leg even before echo. And honestly with what is it, 20%? echo and the huge ilevel increase you probably don't even need the LB3 raise. Just raise normally at worst, and even with brink you'd still be better off than people were before echo/gear buff.

Then there's also the lolWAR option, as with new gear and thrill I am pretty sure they can survive eating an orb.

The chief reason for LB3 wasn't the speed of the raise but recovery of WHM's MP.
The echo is 10%.
Unless, like... people start killing all the Strafs. Which I suppose is possible now.

BadRNG

The chief reason for LB3 wasn't the speed of the raise but recovery of WHM's MP.
The echo is 10%.
Unless, like... people start killing all the Strafs. Which I suppose is possible now.
It was probably a bit of all worlds? MP, speed, syncs well with things like Holmgang/Living Dead strats. With gear/increased healing potency from echo MP won't be as big a deal though. Is it only 10%? Thought it was higher for some reason. I guess it doesn't matter with how much of a jump stats will see with new ilevel.

Anyway point is that AS4 didn't need any hard nerfs, gear/echo does all of that for you.

Omni

Hate people that join pony runs, get their and say shit like "irl aggro sorry" when it's been only like 15 min when the run first started. 2 different groups and only needed 3 horses but people kept bailing after they got theirs minus the tank and healer.

I only need ramuh for Kirin sigh.
I can understand it.

I mean I know it's only fair to stick around and help after getting a pony, but yanno. Most people farm those for hours and hours in total. I can't blame them for being sick of it and wanting to leave. I felt that way about Ifrit >.> Got my pony after maybe two hours, stuck around for an extra 15 or 20 minutes and bailed. Just wasn't fun. Also there are the rare cases where people would have actually had to go regardless and only got lucky with the pony.

How long are you supposed to stay? Another hour? Two?

Kinda reminds me of the bird farms I'm seeing on my server. Lootlocked in order of joining. Completely ridiculous idea and I'm shocked people are falling for it. Who is gonna stick around for two or three drops, realistically, let alone 8? xD

Damn, set an alarm to get up early and managed to log in right when the servers went up, the world icon was even still red. My goal was to make an alt on Balmung to play w/ some friends and i still couldn't make a character. Really don't want to pay for a character transfer, oh well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Played 10 The Feast matches, it's great and what WD should've been from the start.
Fast and fun. As long as queues don't tank.
Though they probably will seeing how it's essentially the same thing over and over again (especially when healers are done with getting killed by competent teams).

IvorB

I need a bard for foes, a DRG for litany, a NIN for trick attack, and an AST for balance and that one card that makes me cast fire IV in 2 seconds.

Yeah we need all those things also to be excused from mechanics because Enochian and Leylines.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I had two faded copies of "Now I Know the Truth". I logged in after the patch and they have been changed to "Out of the Labyrinth".

Weird. But I have been doing CT trying to get Out of the Labyrinth....so I guess I have it now...

I'm having another one of those 'ASTs is maybe a subpar healer' crisis again now that I've gotten my SCH up to ilvl 210 and my AST to ilvl 211 and during my Midas runs I felt a distinct ease while healing as a SCH compared to my AST.

I dunno maybe I'm just attracted to whatever healer class is getting bullied. When the game was new I proudly played SCH while listening to a lot of parties complain they preferred a WHM over a SCH for healing and how SCHs weren't good at speed runs.

But playing with cards and buffing people is so much fun too!

IvorB

I don't get why they felt the need to nerf A3S. There's already a story mode version and the difficulty of the fight was legendary but now anyone who wants to experience that is out of luck. Does anyone get any satisfaction from beating this fight after it's been neutered and the new one is already out? Just seems like a pointless, weird, destructive process to me.

Tiops

Got a little tired of playing kawaii waifus, changed to big waifus.

It's fun to be a tall Roe, specially as almost no one plays femroes. Now I need to check which glamour would be cool for me.

I can understand it.

I mean I know it's only fair to stick around and help after getting a pony, but yanno. Most people farm those for hours and hours in total. I can't blame them for being sick of it and wanting to leave. I felt that way about Ifrit >.> Got my pony after maybe two hours, stuck around for an extra 15 or 20 minutes and bailed. Just wasn't fun. Also there are the rare cases where people would have actually had to go regardless and only got lucky with the pony.

How long are you supposed to stay? Another hour? Two?

Kinda reminds me of the bird farms I'm seeing on my server. Lootlocked in order of joining. Completely ridiculous idea and I'm shocked people are falling for it. Who is gonna stick around for two or three drops, realistically, let alone 8? xD

They stayed for 15 minutes total and according to a party meber they only did like 400 dps

iammeiam

I don't get why they felt the need to nerf A3S. There's already a story mode version and the difficulty of the fight was legendary but now anyone who wants to experience that is out of luck. Does anyone get any satisfaction from beating this fight after it's been neutered and the new one is already out? Just seems like a pointless, weird, destructive process to me.

I imagine there will be a number of people beating the fight in DF who flat out don't understand the magnitude of what they apparently did to gut it. It'll still be harder than story, so They won't understand the difference between clearing A3S now and clearing it in 3.0/3.1, any more than people gobwalker mount farming at i230 will understand what made A4S the fight it used to be. I'm not inherently opposed to them creating an easier version of the fight--it lets them stretch the same content out to cover more people--but the extent to which it was done + the inability to ever see the original fight again was depressing. Because this is all gonna end with somebody going "I don't see what the big deal with A3S is, I just did it and it wasn't even that hard." And then I will facepalm forever.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I had two faded copies of "Now I Know the Truth". I logged in after the patch and they have been changed to "Out of the Labyrinth".

Weird. But I have been doing CT trying to get Out of the Labyrinth....so I guess I have it now...

Now I know the truth used to give 'Out of the Labyrinth' as a song and vice versa, they fixed it.

edgefusion

I'm using full Eso as I wait for my lore to stack up so I have a lot of SS. I find myself running out of TP at the 30 second mark if I don't Invigorate at around 640 TP. Seems the secondary stats account for more DPS than I'd thought.

You should aim to use invigorate at around 550/less than 600. It restores 400 but you have to take into account regen ticks. If you use it at 600+ you're losing out on some TP. I can normally squeeze in a second invigorate before I'm totally dry.

Nerfing mechanics in content like Alex and adding echo seems even less necessary now that we have story mode versions of those fights, but I can understand why they do it. Such a shame. :(

IvorB

I imagine there will be a number of people beating the fight in DF who flat out don't understand the magnitude of what they apparently did to gut it. It'll still be harder than story, so They won't understand the difference between clearing A3S now and clearing it in 3.0/3.1, any more than people gobwalker mount farming at i230 will understand what made A4S the fight it used to be. I'm not inherently opposed to them creating an easier version of the fight--it lets them stretch the same content out to cover more people--but the extent to which it was done + the inability to ever see the original fight again was depressing. Because this is all gonna end with somebody going "I don't see what the big deal with A3S is, I just did it and it wasn't even that hard." And then I will facepalm forever.

Yeah if they want to make a more easier-than-savage-but-harder-than-normal version then why not just let it stand alongside the full fat one instead of destroying the original in the process? With this fight in particular I'm sure there are people who didn't get to do it that would be curious to see what all the fuss was about. It could have been something in the game that would remain a challenge that people could come back to with a little help from stronger gear. Anyways, I guess they needed to give the nerf team something to do ha ha.

Arkeband

Banned

The fight wasn't that well designed, people need to get over it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Confirming femroe is best race/gender combo.
They are great and all but you get stuck looking weird in most caster gear and their armor textures look stretched on certain gear sets. Other than that though they good.
Prepare yourself for incoming replies.

edgefusion

Basically. It was a crap fight that hardly anyone will ever do so they smacked it with the nerf plank. Soz guys but FFXIV isn't a historical museum, it's a game that SE want people to play and enjoy.

Sorian

Banned

Except it was? Probably one of their better fights and the only real issue with it is the same issue with most of their fights. They bloat the front half with watered down mechanics that you will see later which ends up leading to massive fatigue when you are deeper in progression because the front half is too easy and the back half, where practice is needed, is causing wipes fast which means you end up with 4-5 minutes of Zzzzzzz before getting to what needs to be practiced and you might spend only a minute or so in that practice area before you get blown up and have to fall asleep again.

Edit:

Basically. It was a crap fight that hardly anyone will ever do so they smacked it with the nerf plank. Soz guys but FFXIV isn't a historical museum, it's a game that SE want people to play and enjoy.

But as you can see here, it was too hard for some people so "it's a crap fight, lolz guys its all about fun." Don't be a baddie.

edgefusion

Except it was? Probably one of their better fights and the only real issue with it is the same issue with most of their fights. They bloat the front half with watered down mechanics that you will see later which ends up leading to massive fatigue when you are deeper in progression because the front half is too easy and the back half, where practice is needed, is causing wipes fast which means you end up with 4-5 minutes of Zzzzzzz before getting to what needs to be practiced and you might spend only a minute or so in that practice area before you get blown up and have to fall asleep again.

Edit:

But as you can see here, it was too hard for some people so "it's a crap fight, lolz guys its all about fun." Don't be a baddie.

No. It was too hard for the overwhelming majority, not "some". Hence the enormous backlash and laundry list of nerfs. You can high horse it all you want and try to pretend it's sacred but it's not.

iammeiam

With this fight in particular I'm sure there are people who didn't get to do it that would be curious to see what all the fuss was about. It could have been something in the game that would remain a challenge that people could come back to with a little help from stronger gear.

Because if Gordias proved out anything, it's that most of the playerbase doesn't like not being able to outgear things and A3S as designed was never going to fold to gear the way 4 will (and I think Midas as a whole is going to be a lot more gear-influenced, though I've yet to see most of it.) 3 was largely about everyone doing a dance, fail the dance and fail the fight, and long-term failure isn't hugely popular with most people. I like getting my teeth kicked in in a fair fight, but it's not for everyone and not making people feel bad is one of the biggest design touchstones one the game.

It does lead to a situation where the game is severely lacking in things that ask players to step up and challenge themselves, which is too bad. I'm glad I did A3S when I did. It made me better at the game and killing it was insanely satisfying (4 wasn't near As satisfying; beating 3 was the pinnacle of Gordias to me.) I'm bummed people going forward will never have the option of experiencing it. I get why they did it, but it's probably not great for the playerbase that they continue to try to marry hard content to lockouts and make everything else snoozeworthy. The game lacks in things that challenge players to try without also essentially requiring statics, which hampers new player progression.

Sorian

Banned
No. It was too hard for the overwhelming majority, not "some". Hence the enormous backlash and laundry list of nerfs. You can high horse it all you want and try to pretend it's sacred but it's not.

T7 was really hard too, that's why it had a laundry list of nerfs. Oh wait, no, that's not it at all actually. This is the time when fights are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator, it is what it is. I never plan to set foot in A3S again anyway but I can at least point out that it's a bad practice changing a fight so much and not allowing people to do it the way it was originally designed. It is 100% a waste that no one can go back and actually achieve this in the state that it was originally made and pretending otherwise is non-sense.

Top Bottom