• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'd rather the game forsake the level of difficulty seen in Savage in favor of staying completely on the level of Final Coil and extreme Primals, if the current volume is the best the dev team can do. I feel like it's better for the userbase retainment in the long run. I mean, Final Coil difficulty was literally perfect. Top groups would down it in a week, good groups would take a month and then everybody else would most certainly down it before the tier is out if they really want to. Alexander doesn't really work like that.

Kinda curious how A8S is gonna be in like, patch 3.41, since you can't outgear Brute Justice.

Sorian

Banned
Kinda curious how A8S is gonna be in like, patch 3.41, since you can't outgear Brute Justice.

You already posted the answer on the last page.

latest

Sorian

Banned
Well, so far they haven't directly nerfed the last boss of any raid tier (unless you count removing a Shadow of Meracydia that)

Historically, the last bosses of each tier have seemed to be destroyed by more stats with earlier fights in each tier being the more mechanical fights that can't have mechanics ignored. Brute Justice seems to be the first where that isn't the case. I guess I could argue that Bahamut was kind of borderline in this regard but he is very susceptible to phase pushes over mechanics at times.

edgefusion

T7 was really hard too, that's why it had a laundry list of nerfs. Oh wait, no, that's not it at all actually. This is the time when fights are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator, it is what it is. I never plan to set foot in A3S again anyway but I can at least point out that it's a bad practice changing a fight so much and not allowing people to do it the way it was originally designed. It is 100% a waste that no one can go back and actually achieve this in the state that it was originally made and pretending otherwise is non-sense.

If they left the option to re-live A3S as it was originally, who is going to do it? Nobody. N o b o d y. Everyone has moved on to Midas. The only people doing Gordias now are the ones farming it for glams and who just want to have a clear. Like I said, this is not a history museum. What's nonsense is pretending A3S is in any way significant.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Historically, the last bosses of each tier have seemed to be destroyed by more stats with earlier fights in each tier being the more mechanical fights that can't have mechanics ignored. Brute Justice seems to be the first where that isn't the case. I guess I could argue that Bahamut was kind of borderline in this regard but he is very susceptible to phase pushes over mechanics at times.

Well, T9? Golems and elementals still kill you to this day. Though of course it's no Final Sentence.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If they left the option to re-live A3S as it was originally, who is going to do it? Nobody. N o b o d y. Everyone has moved on to Midas. The only people doing Gordias now are the ones farming it for glams and who just want to have a clear. Like I said, this is not a history museum. What's nonsense is pretending A3S is in any way significant.
Yo I would have liked to go back and beat the pre-nerf version.

I'M SOMEBODY. Maybe.

Sorian

Banned

That's a strong sentiment to pretend that absolute 0 of a population is going to do something. Get over yourself, you look foolish. Let's not pretend that it would be difficult to allow the option of experiencing a fight pre-nerfs.

Well, T9? Golems and elementals still kill you to this day. Though of course it's no Final Sentence.

True but then I see people dpsing an already lowish health super golem and I laugh (this is with unsync though so not entirely the same.

edgefusion

That's a strong sentiment to pretend that absolute 0 of a population is going to do something. Get over yourself, you look foolish. Let's not pretend that it would be difficult to allow the option of experiencing a fight pre-nerfs.

True but then I see people dpsing an already lowish health super golem and I laugh (this is with unsync though so not entirely the same.

Okay, I'm just gonna duck out because you obviously don't want to discuss it like a normal person. I shouldve realised that when you immediately opened with calling me a 'baddie'. Get over myself? :/

studyguy

I just can't even pretend care about old content getting nerfed. It's fine to have options, but I'd wager no one here is actually trying to do AS3 proper anyway so literally 0 fucks given. Dead content stays dead till it's given new life when we go back to farm it for rando drops. w/e

edgefusion

I just can't even pretend care about old content getting nerfed. It's fine to have options, but I'd wager no one here is actually trying to do AS3 proper anyway so literally 0 fucks given. Dead content stays dead till it's given new life when we go back to farm it for rando drops. w/e

Nope one guy said he'd want to go back to it, so that argument is invalid. Brb going to EB A3S.

Sorian

Banned

It's weird because you have a "got mine" attitude but you didn't even get yours (I think, you can feel free to correct me). Instead you just judge based on.....idk word of mouth or something? Pretending that you speak for everyone? I'm not actually sure.

iammeiam

Can I EB A3S? Is that an option?

Insanely well-designed fight, tuned perfectly to become more forgiving with gear without becoming the joke most fights do off gear carry, encouraging groups to function as a cooperative unit... I can't even feel bad for liking it, it was just too good.

I always will wonder how much was just never having really raided progression before; I thought it was normal and by the time I found out I was supposed to be upset A3S was so hard I was having too much fun with it to care.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That'll be a fun PF

Also pepsi man is dead guys, just deal with it.
Never ever. I would have liked to have gone back with a static again eventually since it's what killed my last one. Not losing any sleep over not being able to go back, but it would have been nice. Options are neat and all.

scy

A3S brings out all the armchair devs and people who mistake "this fight was hard" as a design flaw. It's interesting.

I am very much interested in seeing how the same "A3S is the worst designed fight to ever exist" crowd take to parts of Midas Savage where they reuse a good chunk of the fight that people had issues with.

studyguy

Never ever. I would have liked to have gone back with a static again eventually since it's what killed my last one. Not losing any sleep over not being able to go back, but it would have been nice. Options are neat and all.

The definitely are, Coil savage is still there for those people who want a challenge for instance, but realistically I haven't even heard of anyone run it and the numbers yoshiP put out regarding it were so astronomically low back in the day it's all pretty moot to me. Players if given the options don't seem to care so I figure I shouldn't either.

edgefusion

It's weird because you have a "got mine" attitude but you didn't even get yours (I think, you can feel free to correct me). Instead you just judge based on.....idk word of mouth or something? Pretending that you speak for everyone? I'm not actually sure.

I don't know why you're acting like a dog with a bone, just get over it?

iammeiam

The definitely are, Coil savage is still there for those people who want a challenge for instance, but realistically I haven't even heard of anyone run it and the numbers yoshiP put out regarding it were so astronomically low back in the day it's all pretty moot to me. Players if given the options don't seem to care so I figure I shouldn't either.

I really wish they'd fix minimum iLevel sync to give you access to scaled down versions of all your skills, instead of stripping out the post-50 stuff. Running min iLevel on the ARR stuff is annoying with limited access to job skills.

And SCoB Savage did get a pretty strong second wind during the Ded Gaem phase pre-HW. A lot of people went in at i130 and got their titles, which didn't have quite the same bragging rights they did at i110 but did seem to catch a wider range of interest than normal. We'll never get it again, but it was an example of largely recycled content that they let people gradually outgear that had a lifespan beyond the patch where it was the New Thing.

edgefusion

I thought you wanted to have a normal discussion :)

Lol it's pretty clear you just wanted to go into attack mode over it, I already said I'm done. Theres no point trying to talk to someone who instantly starts throwing around "baddie" and "fool", you're just an unpleasant person and I've really no interest in talking to you.

Sorian

Banned
Lol it's pretty clear you just wanted to go into attack mode over it, I already said I'm done. Theres no point trying to talk to someone who instantly starts throwing around "baddie" and "fool", you're just an unpleasant person and I've really no interest in talking to you.

Meh, we get so few well-designed fights in this game. I'm willing to get snarky when someone who is parroting reddit/OF sentiments feels the need to pipe up with their lack of first hand experience.

Part of me wants fights to be available as they were somewhere in the game (can keep the nerfed version, too), but if it has to be one or the other, glad hey nerfed A3S to hell. May it RIP and never come back.

But yea, don't worry, A6S will be the new static killer. Mechanics too hard again. Don't worry, though, because in 4 more weeks gear carry (230 weapons for all and likely at least 2 240 pieces) will make it manageable.

The best group on the server only just cleared it last night.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Part of me wants fights to be available as they were somewhere in the game (can keep the nerfed version, too), but if it has to be one or the other, glad hey nerfed A3S to hell. May it RIP and never come back.

But yea, don't worry, A6S will be the new static killer. Mechanics too hard again. Don't worry, though, because in 4 more weeks gear carry (230 weapons for all and likely at least 2 240 pieces) will make it manageable.

The best group on the server only just cleared it last night.

I don't think A6S mechanics are hard, just somewhat unforgiving and they require everyone to be on point/no deaths.

Tried one match of The Feast before heading off to work this morning. It was fun but definitely would be even better in premade groups.

As for Alex Gordias Savage being added to the DF, I'd like to try it at some point. Though Midas is exponentially more fun so I'm not sure how I'll feel about it in the end.

scy

Meh, we get so few well-designed fights in this game. I'm willing to get snarky when someone who is parroting reddit/OF sentiments feels the need to pipe up with their lack of first hand experience.

To be fair, first hand experience doesn't stop most the thread from also parroting Reddit / OF sentiments when it comes to things.

Everyone praised Midas for a return to mechanics-driven encounters so it'll be interesting when they actually get there and realize that means A3S design choices times four (and/or eight, depending on if we want to count the GoBots and Onslaughter himself).

Sorian

Banned
To be fair, first hand experience doesn't stop most the thread from also parroting Reddit / OF sentiments when it comes to things.

Everyone praised Midas for a return to mechanics-driven encounters so it'll be interesting when they actually get there and realize that means A3S design choices times four (and/or eight, depending on if we want to count the GoBots and Onslaughter himself).

If nothing else, Midas seems to ramp up the quality as time goes on. Gordia was hurt so much by the high peak of A3S and then the nose dive in fun for A4S

iammeiam

I think you're ignoring that the A6S design choices are going to be pretty gear-nerfed fairly quickly. Things like skipping Mirage Dash or the third Chakram will basically be a given without trying once i230 weapons are widely available, a little more VIT will make some of the damage less scary, etc etc. Some of the week one clears had Dash deaths IIRC and carried on. 6 at least so far feels a lot like what people wanted out of 3--get gud or, failing that, get gear and it'll go down eventually.

What I'm saying is we're not killing that thing for five more weeks wWhen our lord and savior gear carry shows up, so get used to it. Although seeing the reactions to A3S adds in reverse+ mechanics will be fun for a while.

scy

Can I note the "requires no deaths" a bit weird when the world first kill had 3 deaths D:

I think you're ignoring that the A6S design choices are going to be pretty gear-nerfed fairly quickly. Things like skipping Mirage Dash or the third Chakram will basically be a given without trying once i230 weapons are widely available, a little more VIT will make some of the damage less scary, etc etc. Some of the week one clears had Dash deaths IIRC and carried on. 6 at least so far feels a lot like what people wanted out of 3--get gud or, failing that, get gear and it'll go down eventually.

They most likely will be, which is more of that "I wonder how people will react?" stance. A lot of the design choices are pretty much what I figured most people disliked about A3S so it's just me wondering where the line gets drawn on mechanics and their fun level.

And yeah, world first was 3 deaths, world second even had a moment of "Wait, what happens next?" on Vortexer I believe.

If nothing else, Midas seems to ramp up the quality as time goes on. Gordia was hurt so much by the high peak of A3S and then the nose dive in fun for A4S

meow meow meow meow meow?

Midas as a steady quality climb really does help it's case. A lot of looking forwards to still happen. Then again, we're also basically all doing A8 for two months still so it sort of has to be a super interesting fight when it's the only one "everyone" is repeating a lot.

Sorian

Banned
Midas as a steady quality climb really does help it's case. A lot of looking forwards to still happen. Then again, we're also basically all doing A8 for two months still so it sort of has to be a super interesting fight when it's the only one "everyone" is repeating a lot.

The mind game ends up being better there though. I think I said this a bunch about Gordia too. A3S was a good fight to learn with your group, get better, and eventually clear. The reward there was.... another fight with debatable quality. It looks like it'll be the same here but the reward is that you did it, you're top of the crop now until next raid.

Edit: Which I know you probably agree with, just re-iterating.

Valor

Good Night, Sweet Prince. You were too good for this world, Jiggly Butt.

I don't really care A3S was nerfed. I know it's disappointing to those of you who wanted to beat it in its original glory, so I don't mean to belittle you all with that statement. I think the writing was on the wall with this one, sadly enough.

Moving on to A6S; I haven't seen a ton of the fight because schedules are fun, but really it feels more of a "learn the mechanics, do the mechanics, you win" type of fight, which is fine. I don't feel it demands perfection by any means whatsoever. Then again, I have limited exposure to it so what do I know. A6S is something you can most certainly outgear, but you'll need to know how the mechanics work, especially for A8S. That is absolutely not a fight you want to speed through and ignore at all.

scy

The mind game ends up being better there though. I think I said this a bunch about Gordia too. A3S was a good fight to learn with your group, get better, and eventually clear. The reward there was.... another fight with debatable quality. It looks like it'll be the same here but the reward is that you did it, you're top of the crop now until next raid.

Edit: Which I know you probably agree with, just re-iterating.

Well, there's all that but also we have less Alex Normal involved too? I figure a lot of people are doing minimal runs due to crafted and the better drop rates on things vs original Alex Normal. That and no two week lead up. So the only fight people are constantly running is A8N which is a really fun fight in and of itself but it's also apparently massively different compared to the Savage version so the getting there aspect is still highly relevant as well. As you put it, the mind game is vastly improved.

Zomba13

Hate people that join pony runs, get their and say shit like "irl aggro sorry" when it's been only like 15 min when the run first started. 2 different groups and only needed 3 horses but people kept bailing after they got theirs minus the tank and healer.

I only need ramuh for Kirin sigh.

Yup. It's what took me FOUR FUCKING HOURS STRAIGHT to get the Levi pony. If people had stayed in the party then it wouldn't have taken long at all, but people keeps leaving the run after they got theirs and eventually enough left that it needed a refill and they got theirs and some others left etc.

Best Pony farm I had was last week, Titan. Everyone in the fulll 8 man party stayed, we all got a pony, plenty of music dropped and no one left. We all stayed, getting kills around 1:50, super fast, super fun and everyone got theirs because they stayed and were good people.

Top Bottom