• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Thorgal

got it, thanks :)

btw should I do the relic quest?

there are 2 relic quests one from ARR and the other from HW.

i wouldn't bother with the former as gear you get later in HW makes it quickly obsolete .
not to mention the big amount of cash and grind you have to do.

maybe do only the first 2 steps and stop there.

you can start the HW rellic later without needing to do these steps.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Holy crap these queue times with DPS kill me, so used to instant queue with my PLD :(

there are 2 relic quests one from ARR and the other from HW.

i wouldn't bother with the former as gear you get later in HW makes it quickly obsolete .
not to mention the big amount of cash and grind you have to do.

maybe do only the first 2 steps and stop there.

you can start the HW rellic later without needing to do these steps.

Thanks, wanted to be sure I heard these relic quests are a timesink.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with the anima weapon as well if you start anew, you are gonna get the lore weapon in 4 weeks, if you grind hard you could get the anima in about 2-3 weeks. Not worth the trouble right now, even if you want it for glamour I say wait for nerfs in the next patch.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
r7JeFii.jpg
Malexander? If so, you didn't fill out on application on guildworks. Link should be in the OP.

MogCakes

What's the dps difference between bis gear and a standard tome set? I used to think it wasn't too much but I'm realizing now it's pretty significant especially with diadem gear pre-3.2.

I'm holding onto i210 a bit longer as I try to figure out the reasons for my DPS (MNK) capping at 1450 while I see claims of 1600 or more at the same ilvl.

Sorian

Banned
What's the dps difference between bis gear and a standard tome set? I used to think it wasn't too much but I'm realizing now it's pretty significant especially with diadem gear pre-3.2.

I'm holding onto i210 a bit longer as I try to figure out the reasons for my DPS (MNK) capping at 1450 while I see claims of 1600 or more at the same ilvl.

You are most likely never going to squeeze out the best numbers that your class can do, I would probably make peace with that fact now.

BiS is just about minimizing necessary accuracy (which only matters in the hardest savage raids) and maximizing the most heavily weighted stats (usually crit for all classes this cycle).

Only rarely, when a lower ilvl piece has (usually) crit/det, does it warrent a a BiS slot over a 10 ilvl higher item that makes up for the main stat differences (1 STR/DEX/INT is very roughly worth 3 points of a det or crit for example).

So to answer your question, not much. Being BiS means next to nothing if you aren't actively pushing the hardest content where you are literally trying to squeeze maybe a dozen or two points of dps gains out of gear, everything else being even.

The most important thing BY FAR is your rotation. That should be any and everyone's focus if they are concerned about dps. Missing a single positional or wasting a cooldown because of poor fight timing is a much bigger dps loss than missing any BiS.

That monk dps difference at the same ilvl is almost 100% down to differences in rotation. No close gear (except for maybe 2 or more weapon damage) could account for that difference imo

JORMBO

Darkness no more

This is amazing.

On another blackmage note...
I am having a lot more fun playing Dragoon in the feast. I can't really get many spells off as blackmage and feel like a wasted spot. On Dragoon no one even bothers attacking me so I can just run around and hit people freely.

Isaccard

This is amazing.

I am having a lot more fun playing Dragoon in the feast. I can't really get many spells off as blackmage and feel like a wasted spot. On Dragoon no one even bothers attacking me so I can just run around and hit people freely.

I hang back, and target people who wander too far off, easy to pick up kills if you keep a low profile

Sorian

Banned

At least two of those are the BLM's fault. The aoe from belladonna and the one from lost city of amdapor hm, BLM should not have been standing in either of those areas.

This is amazing.

Apples and Oranges. Melee DPS is lower priority than Ranged DPS in the current meta. It's just easier to shut down a ranged dps in general, plus letting them go unchecked is usually more of a headache.

Error

Did the aurum vale yesterday, had a blast. the tank explained every mechanic to us, was super nice.

The community in this is pretty nice so far, I don't know how bad it gets for end-game content but I can't complain now.

So different from WOW, I remember when I tried Ragefire Chasm back in WoTLK before there was a Dungeon Finder option (I think they added it right after I left WOW patch 3.3.0 iirc). I asked for an invite and and got one, only for the group to dissolve midway through the dungeon leaving me alone after the tank pulled a big group, fucking trolls. Man the community in that game was UGH.

Sorian

Banned
Did the aurum vale yesterday, had a blast. the tank explained every mechanic to us, was super nice.

The community in this is pretty nice so far, I don't know how bad it gets for end-game content but I can't complain now.

So different from WOW, I remember when I tried Ragefire Chasm back in WoTLK (I think they added it right after I left WOW patch 3.3.0 iirc). I asked for an invite and and got one, only for the group to dissolve midway through the dungeon leaving me alone after the tank pulled a big group, fucking trolls. That was before there was stuff like LFG or LFR, man the community in that game was UGH.

Our community kind of gets crappy when you get to the highest level content but yeah, everything else, this game is generally friendly.

WolvenOne

So, sounds like Microsoft is at least easing its rules against players only being able to play against other X-Box users when it comes to multiplayer.

Wonder if this makes a XB1 port of FFXIV any more likely. <_<;;

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So, sounds like Microsoft is at least easing its rules against players only being able to play against other X-Box users when it comes to multiplayer.

Depends. They were offered PC/XB1 servers before and turned them down so maybe they want more from SE than SE is willing to give.

Sorian

Banned
The Feast is hilarious as a tank, glad I leveled warrior for it.

In feast news, had a ninja in my group this morning who decided to race the tank to all of the medals and always picked them up. He decided (at least semi smart) to go hide in the back of our base since he had 7 stacks and there was about a 1:30 left on the clock. The other team realized what was up fairly quickly and both dps ran through us looking for our nin. Now at this point, he just had to live for like 40 seconds and we had an AST. Instead of staying in range of heals, he decided to run from his pursuers, all the way across the map into the enemies base. We couldn't keep up to keep the players off of him/heal him and he got destroyed with like 5 seconds left, other team won by only 5-6 medals. I was so annoyed.

studyguy

Probably not. Like the 360 they only seem to do it in specific cases where it benefits them. Barely anything made cross platform in earlier ecosystems, I don't really see it happening now, but we'll see I guess.

Also yes, tanks are beasts in The Feast. (I don't really know how DRK works tbh, is it nearly as good as WAR for raw fuck you damage or PLD for batman level utility?)

Error

Our community kind of gets crappy when you get to the highest level content but yeah, everything else, this game is generally friendly.

I'm sure it does, I'll try to stick with the FC for most of the endgame group content whenever possible. I'm sure you guys have a bigger tolerance for noobs than random people ;)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Probably not. Like the 360 they only seem to do it in specific cases where it benefits them. Barely anything made cross platform in earlier ecosystems, I don't really see it happening now, but we'll see I guess.

Also yes, tanks are beasts in The Feast. (I don't really know how DRK works tbh, is it nearly as good as WAR for raw fuck you damage or PLD for batman level utility?)

They really wanted a piece of that Rocket League pie.

Jayhawk

In feast news, had a ninja in my group this morning who decided to race the tank to all of the medals and always picked them up. He decided (at least semi smart) to go hide in the back of our base since he had 7 stacks and there was about a 1:30 left on the clock. The other team realized what was up fairly quickly and both dps ran through us looking for our nin. Now at this point, he just had to live for like 40 seconds and we had an AST. Instead of staying in range of heals, he decided to run from his pursuers, all the way across the map into the enemies base. We couldn't keep up to keep the players off of him/heal him and he got destroyed with like 5 seconds left, other team won by only 5-6 medals. I was so annoyed.

There was one match where I had 8 stacks as MNK and we were one more kill away from victory. I also had LB ready. We spent a good minute as a group trying to lure them apart from each other. Then I managed to lure the other group's melee away far enough for a stun, limit break ultra combo finish.

If you can play today, does than mean you found a WAR to run Midas savage tonight?

RIP Eorzea cafe still giving out the same coasters two years later
Where are the Sephirot coasters?

Error

I like the pop culture references in the FATES names.

Smells like Tree Spirit, Roc of Ages, V for Vinedetta etc...

good show localization team.

Thorgal

replaying through the 2.0 story right now on my tank and noticing that they mentioned Krille even back then .

Minfilia gets a call from her right after you save everyonr from Castrum centri

MogCakes

You are most likely never going to squeeze out the best numbers that your class can do, I would probably make peace with that fact now.

I'm obsessive about it. If I could just find the cause I'd be at ease. I get like this whenever I find a discrepancy.

That monk dps difference at the same ilvl is almost 100% down to differences in rotation. No close gear (except for maybe 2 or more weapon damage) could account for that difference imo

I've tried using different openers, tried incorporating one or two fractures in some attempts, hit all positionals and oCGDs as soon as I could hit the hotkey. I also attempted holding off on internal/bfb for a GCD or two to line up with elixir field or howling fist. These have not had any major impact and my DPS still caps at that range. I'm also staying locked onto the target, so all my autos are connecting and my movement is minimal between flank and rear. I've watched YT vids of 1500+ parses and their parsers are all showing them doing 1500+ during their rotations despite being nearly identical to mine, which is baffling. Maybe it really is latency. That would be a bummer. I also feel like my execution isn't as speedy as what I see on YT even though my SS is over 650 and I'm hitting positionals as fast as I can. To say I'm baffled is an understatement.

I'm sure it does, I'll try to stick with the FC for most of the endgame group content whenever possible. I'm sure you guys have a bigger tolerance for noobs than random people ;)

I used Duty Finder for everything from 2.0 to 3.1 and really only had trouble with a couple of Trials - one involving a bridge (which is actually really easy as long as you click when you're supposed to click) and another with a boss (adds didn't die).

Usually people are decent about explaining things, and I always say, yes I am the new guy here.

The Feast is hilarious as a tank, glad I leveled warrior for it.

Tanks the official troll class of Feast (least if you're a healer ... stun...stun...stun...stun...stun...stun).

I need to start trying out the other specs (if/how many/what type VIT accessories to wear on a healer, should I spec INT or VIT, if/how many/what type of INT accessories to wear, what skills I should have dumped points into, should I put points into PIE/INT PVP traits, etc) to see which I feel is more effective. Reading reddit pretenders proclaim one is better than the other is Zzzzz. Seize had so many people getting angry if you were a healer and didn't wear any VIT. And just to reconfirm, all rankings get reset before 2.5 drops, right? Other than practicing, I wanted to make sure there was no benefit to doing ranked at the moment since everything will be wiped clean soon.

Zomba13

Tanks the official troll class of Feast (least if you're a healer ... stun...stun...stun...stun...stun...stun).

I need to start trying out the other specs (if/how many/what type VIT accessories to wear on a healer, should I spec INT or VIT, if/how many/what type of INT accessories to wear, what skills I should have dumped points into, should I put points into PIE/INT PVP traits, etc) to see which I feel is more effective. Reading reddit pretenders proclaim one is better than the other is Zzzzz. Seize had so many people getting angry if you were a healer and didn't wear any VIT. And just to reconfirm, all rankings get reset before 2.5 drops, right? Other than practicing, I wanted to make sure there was no benefit to doing ranked at the moment since everything will be wiped clean soon.

Yeah it's "pre-season" at the moment so whatever ranking you get will just get reset before the actual season starts and any prizes you would qualify for in solo won't be given out.

Sorian

Banned
As usual, SE misses the point of a ranking system. This isn't ranking players, it's telling you who plays the most. But whatever, easier for me. PvP in this game was never meant to be serious.

As usual, SE misses the point of a ranking system. This isn't ranking players, it's telling you who plays the most. But whatever, easier for me. PvP in this game was never meant to be serious.

Truth. Go to https://xivpvp.com/ if you want to see who is actually good at PVP in XIV.

Also I take back what I said. MNK is new master troll. Knocking off everything spamming a move over and over again. Should not be able to knock off Equanimity, but okay with it removing Divine Seal and Presence of Mind. Such crap. It is now my goal to find MNKs and sleep spam them and make them chase me around the map. Also they need to break SMN/SCH tie to Arcanist because knocking off Aetherflow stacks = totally fair against a SMN, but absolutely crap when it is against a SCH.

studyguy

When you say "goes through" do you mean it removes Hallowed Ground or it removes the next buff in line?

I mean HALLOWED GROU- OH FUCK I'M TAKING DAMAGE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Yes MNK can remove Hallowed. The punch removes a random buff iirc, I just create a buffer in case.

Top Bottom