• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

studyguy

It's pretty sad to see a Fell Cleave and a bahamut flare slap you for 0, then suddenly the next one hits in full despite having 7 seconds left on hallowed (if it was still going).

Jayhawk

Monks have been a troll class in PvP since 2.1. Arm of the Destroyer and One Ilm Punch are too good. Nothing new. RIP that ranking site only tracking data for only one of my matches, since I don't have the client app. It also has random seal rock matches from last week where I was afk'ing while playing Black Desert, just to get tomes.

Jayhawk

The pre-match strategy talk in feast matches amuse me. People suggest to burst down a character when you should remain patient, and spread out your pressure to stress out the opposing healer. When they can pop defensive buffs or their healers have benedictions, lustrates, essential dignity, attunement, and other abilities, why waste cooldowns right away? Spreading out pressure and finding the right time and target to focus is usually the key to victory.

aceface

Hey everyone, wanted to post here to say that my static group is looking for a BRD/MCH now. Our raid times are Tues/Thurs/Sun from 9:30pm-11:00pm eastern. We're on a bit of a hiatus now since people are off on vacation and work trips, but we're looking to start Sephirot EX the last week of March and move on to Midas Savage after that. Since we're starting a new tier, new raiders are welcome! If you ever wanted to try out raiding here's your chance. No previous raiding experience required, as long as you can beat the appropriate dummy on SSS. If you're interested, send me a PM on here or /tell Tomo Takino in-game.

studyguy

The pre-match strategy talk in feast matches amuse me. People suggest to burst down a character when you should remain patient, and spread out your pressure to stress out the opposing healer. When they can pop defensive buffs or their healers have benedictions, lustrates, essential dignity, attunement, and other abilities, why waste cooldowns right away? Spreading out pressure and finding the right time and target to focus on a character is usually the key to victory.

No! Tank stun! DPS shooty! Healer no hurt! Hurr hurr hit good, hit hard. Wat is medal?

caveman-computer.jpg

These are your teammates.

BadRNG

Part of me hopes they don't go for Xbox support. Don't care about exclusivity but do we really want another thing this dev team to focus resources on.

The pre-match strategy talk in feast matches amuse me. People suggest to burst down a character when you should remain patient, and spread out your pressure to stress out the opposing healer. When they can pop defensive buffs or their healers have benedictions, lustrates, essential dignity, attunement, and other abilities, why waste cooldowns right away? Spreading out pressure and finding the right time and target to focus is usually the key to victory.
If this wasn't just random solo queues I might agree with you, but I'm generally going to suggest dps to focus another dps at start. It doesn't always work, especially if other team is good, but consider how often you run into actually good groups (on either side). Having tank on healer, bursting down one of their DPS (with tank stunning healer around when the DPS is at half or less) works a surprising amount of the time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Part of me hopes they don't go for Xbox support. Don't care about exclusivity but do we really want another thing this dev team to focus resources on.

If this wasn't just random solo queues I might agree with you, but I'm generally going to suggest dps to focus another dps at start. It doesn't always work, especially if other team is good, but consider how often you run into actually good groups (on either side). Having tank on healer, bursting down one of their DPS (with tank stunning healer around when the DPS is at half or less) works a surprising amount of the time.

I believe they outsourced the Mac version and well... yeah.

Omni

To be fair, it really would be a case of just getting it running on the console. Everything like controller support and whatever is already in the game. Besides, I know of a different console they should consider dropping if they're resource starved.

More players is never a bad thing

Tanks the official troll class of Feast (least if you're a healer ... stun...stun...stun...stun...stun...stun).

I need to start trying out the other specs (if/how many/what type VIT accessories to wear on a healer, should I spec INT or VIT, if/how many/what type of INT accessories to wear, what skills I should have dumped points into, should I put points into PIE/INT PVP traits, etc) to see which I feel is more effective. Reading reddit pretenders proclaim one is better than the other is Zzzzz. Seize had so many people getting angry if you were a healer and didn't wear any VIT. And just to reconfirm, all rankings get reset before 2.5 drops, right? Other than practicing, I wanted to make sure there was no benefit to doing ranked at the moment since everything will be wiped clean soon.

You lose a lot of effectiveness by speccing into INT. It's not worth it at all. The Pie trait isn't worth it, either, just use gear with Pie and upgrade Mana Draw if MP is an issue. As for VIT, I use my pvp points on the VIT traits and 1-2 Fending accessories. If that's not enough for you, just use a Keeper's Hymn and swap to Vit during PvP (it's annoying to do it every time, but yeah). It's not affected by the ilevel sync and you don't lose secondaries.

BadRNG

To be fair, it really would be a case of just getting it running on the console. Everything like controller support and whatever is already in the game. Besides, I know of a different console they should consider dropping if they're resource starved.

More players is never a bad thing
"just get it running" is a lot easier said than done. They'd also need to get the online infrastructure working properly with Live and from there make sure it syncs with the PS/PC version worlds properly.

I'd be fine with them dropping PS3, hope they do at some point in fact, but there's an actual install base there already. We don't know how many potential subs they could get from a Xbox One version, and more players can be bad if there aren't enough of them to match the cost in getting a version available to them up in the first place.

Bah Midas statics want a Seph EX clear but PF is rather hopeless
Why do they want an Seph EX clear, weapon? I can't think of a good reason to require it otherwise. At least you can get tome weapon in about month.

Yup just for the weapon. I know how to deal with the mechanics and I can beat the Seph EX dummy just fine but good luck beating Seph EX now without a static. Of course I know it is possible but ehhhh

Squishy3

I believe they outsourced the Mac version and well... yeah.
Well, I think there's a difference between them outsourcing a Mac version (I highly doubt Square has many coders if any at all familiar with developing for Macs, hell, probably Japan in general) porting a game to the Xbox One shouldn't theoretically be an issue, considering they're already developing games for it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
If SE can, they'll put this on Xbone, no question about it.

The client is already running up and well on a console, and a controller UI is already in place. It's just them getting together with MS and talking things through.

I mean HALLOWED GROU- OH FUCK I'M TAKING DAMAGE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Yes MNK can remove Hallowed. The punch removes a random buff iirc, I just create a buffer in case.

Pretty sure it can remove hallowed.

So if I get into a match with a MNK I should basically avoid/stun then run from them if possible.

Because getting Hallowed removed would definitely annoy me a lot.

Levito

Banned
You know, initially I only made a GLD cause I didn't want to do DPS ques after WHM, but I'm glad I did cause tanking is a lot of fun. I like being in charge of a dungeon.

MogCakes

Because getting Hallowed removed would definitely annoy me a lot.

The only safe time to use hallowed is after the MNK is dead, because otherwise they can purify off stun/sleep and shoulder tackle you into a One Ilm. Using hallowed around a MNK is like covering yourself in birdseed in front of a flock of pigeons.

Error

You know, initially I only made a GLD cause I didn't want to do DPS ques after WHM, but I'm glad I did cause tanking is a lot of fun. I like being in charge of a dungeon.

You don't have to put up with crappy tanks anymore! And those instant queue in dungeons/trials... hmm can't go back to DPS, nope.

aceface

I wasn't able to get on tonight, could anyone on Ultros water our plants? Lavender Beds, ward 2 subdivision I think...plots 39 and 59 maybe? Private cottages of Tomo Takino and Chocolate Biscotti. (Chocolate is making me ask...I don't garden anymore after I let the onions die for the second time...)

tenchir

I wasn't able to get on tonight, could anyone on Ultros water our plants? Lavender Beds, ward 2 subdivision I think...plots 39 and 59 maybe? Private cottages of Tomo Takino and Chocolate Biscotti. (Chocolate is making me ask...I don't garden anymore after I let the onions die for the second time...)

Made it to your garden in time... It's saved for now.
ffxiv_03142016_215312.png

I couldn't watered Choco's garden because it is sparkling. She needs to harvest it soon.

Error

I'm about to destroy
Ultima Weapon
well, not really yet. But I started that quest chain. How much longer till I unlock Heavensward's content?

I'm about to destroy
Ultima Weapon
well, not really yet. But I started that quest chain. How much longer till I unlock Heavensward's content?

That's the end of the original 2.0 main scenario. You have the MSQ of patches 2.1 to 2.55 to go through after that until you get to Heavensward.

Error

I see, looks I have quite a bit left. I already redeemed the code for HS to increased the level cap to 60, so at least I'm not wasting experience while I do these quests.

Thorgal

I'm about to destroy
Ultima Weapon
after ultima you still need to go through 100 msq quests before you reach HW.

still a long way to go :p

WolvenOne

Okay, my static group has found its replacement tank, and I am officially free! Honestly, at this point it's a huge relief. I was spending a lot of time doing progression, and I knew I wasn't going to be getting any gear so my enthusiasm was pretty low. Now I actually might have time to Bird Farm, which is loot I actually care about at the moment. I mean, don't get me wrong, gear is nice and all that. Right now though, the only content you really NEED more then 210 gear for is 2nd Alex Savage. Since I'm not doing that for at least a little while, mounts are far more tempting.

In other news, the personal issues that kinda forced all this seem a little better as of today. Still, things have been going back and forth pretty erratically, so I can't really let my guard down. Just gotta do the whole one day at a time thing, I guess. <_<;;

PS: Guess this means I should finish the last few quests in the MSQ too. Yes you heard me, helping with progression has just been THAT draining.

JSoup

Banned
Anyone know anything about this Easter event FATE? The run down of events offhandedly mentions that there is one, but says nothing else. These mini-games are dumb as hell, if I can just hit something for a few minutes and get eggs, I'll take that option.

Squishy3

Anyone know anything about this Easter event FATE? The run down of events offhandedly mentions that there is one, but says nothing else. These mini-games are dumb as hell, if I can just hit something for a few minutes and get eggs, I'll take that option.
There's no FATEs for the 2016 one, AFAIK.

Talaysen

There's a FATE that randomly spawns in one of a few set locations in Gridania. It won't show up on your big map, but it will show up on your minimap and you'll get a FATE nearby message if you're close.

Demoskinos

My new favorite thing in PvP is people telling me I should play another class because BLM sucks.

Hi, Hello. Guess what yes BLM is rather useless when I'm getting gang banged by the melee and tank and can't get off a fucking cast. If you actually you know...work as a team and get people off of me. I could help actually disable and kill people.

I've easily gotten 4+ Kills 10+ Assists in some matches where the team is working as an actual unit and not being lone wolf dumbasses.

IvorB

My new favorite thing in PvP is people telling me I should play another class because BLM sucks.

Hi, Hello. Guess what yes BLM is rather useless when I'm getting gang banged by the melee and tank and can't get off a fucking cast. If you actually you know...work as a team and get people off of me. I could help actually disable and kill people.

I've easily gotten 4+ Kills 10+ Assists in some matches where the team is working as an actual unit and not being lone wolf dumbasses.

My only experience of PVP in this game was Wolves' Den and playing BLM in that was horrible. There was no way to actually use any of my skills due to the cast time and I was basically just a sleep machine. That kind of put me off PVP. I should probably give it another go now that I have a DRG at 60.

You don't have to put up with crappy tanks anymore! And those instant queue in dungeons/trials... hmm can't go back to DPS, nope.

I haven't had any issue with the queue as BLM. At most it's been 20 minutes. While annoying, that's not terrible, and I do the beast tribe daily quests while waiting. It's only when I have to go off the beaten path for things like Pharos Sirius (to unlock HM) that it takes a while.

What really sucked was the "Legacy of Allag" quest to unlock the 2.X Crystal tower. I had to stand around forever waiting for those stupid fates to pop, and that was with two of them popping immediately. :-/

My only experience of PVP in this game was Wolves' Den and playing BLM in that was horrible. There was no way to actually use any of my skills due to the cast time and I was basically just a sleep machine. That kind of put me off PVP. I should probably give it another go now that I have a DRG at 60.

Many many companies with far more experience than Square-Enix have tried (and failed) to balance PvP in a MMORPG. I don't expect them to ever come remotely close.

Demoskinos

You have to wrap your head around playing it differently. Honestly BLM in PvP is best when you help serve up other players to your teams melee by harassing them with sleep/heavy/slow. It is tough to get off casts so you do have to pick your spots but when you can actually cast you can easily crush people in seconds throwing out massive burst damage.

Its a very high risk/reward class. People will be constantly gunning for you because you are squishy and a real debuff threat. I do find it fun as long as I said you're on a team that is working together as BLM really needs support from other teammates. If you're looking to be more on rushdown then yeah DRG would be more your speed.

Omni

I haven't had any issue with the queue as BLM. At most it's been 20 minutes. While annoying, that's not terrible, and I do the beast tribe daily quests while waiting. It's only when I have to go off the beaten path for things like Pharos Sirius (to unlock HM) that it takes a while.
20 minutes is pretty terrible, haha. If the queue is over 10 minutes I'm complaining xD

studyguy

Foresight stoneskin blood 4 blood mercy stroke for must haves, then you can basically slot whatever in the 5th one. It doesn't really matter.

Bloodbath, not blood for blood. I'd kill to be able to use that lol!
I roll Foresight, Stoneskin, Mercy Stroke, Bloodbath, Protect.

All our extra skills are largely useless outside Mercy, Bloodbath, Stoneskin. Foresight just pop when you're like out of shit along with something else and Protect is just in case you're solo or PvP. Learning the timing to self cast stoneskin is pretty important imo though. It helps in certain situations.

Also ran into a clear/farm party last night for sephirot, I KNOW THIS FIGHT TOP TO BOTTOM GUYS DON'T WORRY!
Ended up running into the other guy's tower on accident. ._. just kill me

aceface

That comic is true. When I would do Thordan and his ultimate would do no damage to the party, I would declare victory. What you mean there's a second phase? As scholar, I already won.

Top Bottom