• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

IvorB

Many many companies with far more experience than Square-Enix have tried (and failed) to balance PvP in a MMORPG. I don't expect them to ever come remotely close.

Well people do seem to be enjoying these latest modes they've added with it a good thing I guess.

You have to wrap your head around playing it differently. Honestly BLM in PvP is best when you help serve up other players to your teams melee by harassing them with sleep/heavy/slow. It is tough to get off casts so you do have to pick your spots but when you can actually cast you can easily crush people in seconds throwing out massive burst damage.

Its a very high risk/reward class. People will be constantly gunning for you because you are squishy and a real debuff threat. I do find it fun as long as I said you're on a team that is working together as BLM really needs support from other teammates. If you're looking to be more on rushdown then yeah DRG would be more your speed.

Hmmm... maybe I'll give it another go on this new one.

I can't do the new event until after work.

Is it as entertaining as this makes it look

WTF? That's hilarious.

Village

Imn sorry, question? I finally fumbled my way into the heavensward stuff, and im doing this mission. Its called the naming vath There is this interrigation with a vath called nameless one.there is this song playibg during the investigation, i have never heard it in this game before. Would anyone know whar its called?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how's gear progression pre-Heavensward handled after Heavensward was released?

do I need to grind tomes for high item level gear?

iammeiam

Until you're level 60 there is no gear grind. The main story will continue to throw gear at you until you reach HW content, up to i110, at which point you can just take the gear the HW story starts throwing at you to get by. You have the option of spending poetics you've accrued on i120/i130 gear, but don't have to stop to grind anything before you hit 60 as that gear is just bonus anyway.

Ken

My new favorite thing in PvP is people telling me I should play another class because BLM sucks.

Hi, Hello. Guess what yes BLM is rather useless when I'm getting gang banged by the melee and tank and can't get off a fucking cast. If you actually you know...work as a team and get people off of me. I could help actually disable and kill people.

I've easily gotten 4+ Kills 10+ Assists in some matches where the team is working as an actual unit and not being lone wolf dumbasses.

Eh, depends. If you're getting focused down then that leaves the other DPS and healer free to assist you while your tank should be harassing the enemy healer which probably turns it into a game of how well can you survive bursts (the healer should be able to easily keep you up outside of Full Swing + buff periods) while sneaking out as much damage with your other DPS as you can. The tank is really the only one who can peel off you but getting the enemy healer away is more important than trying to buy you like 2 hardcasts.

I do dread getting BLMs in solo queue though since they seem to take a ton of effort to actually be useful.

To an extent. Up until 60 the game will chuck gear at you every two levels or so, but you have to hit every quest, as some of the gear rewards are hidden behind a side quest.

Once you hit 60, the first hurdle is iLevel 170. If you do the leveling roulette (100), trial roulette (60) and beast tribe daily quests (15*3) you get 195 esoteric tomestones a day. These trade in for iLevel 200 gear. On top of that, if a dungeon rewards tomes, you can run it over and over for even more.

Once you pass 170, more dungeons open, and at 175, Void Ark opens. With Void Ark you can run it over and over it to get a drop at the end (as well as get 200 armor) to upgrade your esoteric gear from 200 to 210. Oh, you get even more tomestomes as well.

You can also unlock the level 50 and level 60 roulettes for more tomestones, but those require you to run a bunch of dungeons individually first. (I haven't gotten this far yet.)

You will need to be at least iLevel 180 to complete the Main Story in 3.2.

The only minor stumbling block is a second ring, but if you do the Alexander: Gordias raid (first four) you have a chance for a drop that you can trade in for a iLevel 190 ring.

Sifl

Speaking of interrupting healers in the feast, in a recent match I managed to get both healers away from their tanks and dps which were all over our spawn for like 30 seconds and my team still couldn't get them out of our spawn. I wish I could've seen what was going on because I can't fathom how you can't kill anyone with both of their healers distracted for that long.

studyguy

Speaking of interrupting healers in the feast, in a recent match I managed to get both healers away from their tanks and dps which were all over our spawn for like 30 seconds and my team still couldn't get them out of our spawn. I wish I could've seen what was going on because I can't fathom how you can't kill anyone with both of their healers distracted for that long.

It's not hard when no one focuses.
It's like how an entire party will focus a healer while someone else steals the point in Frontlines, people just tunnel vision hard.

Error

Until you're level 60 there is no gear grind. The main story will continue to throw gear at you until you reach HW content, up to i110, at which point you can just take the gear the HW story starts throwing at you to get by. You have the option of spending poetics you've accrued on i120/i130 gear, but don't have to stop to grind anything before you hit 60 as that gear is just bonus anyway.

To an extent. Up until 60 the game will chuck gear at you every two levels or so, but you have to hit every quest, as some of the gear rewards are hidden behind a side quest.

Once you hit 60, the first hurdle is iLevel 170. If you do the leveling roulette (100), trial roulette (60) and beast tribe daily quests (15*3) you get 195 esoteric tomestones a day. These trade in for iLevel 200 gear. On top of that, if a dungeon rewards tomes, you can run it over and over for even more.

Once you pass 170, more dungeons open, and at 175, Void Ark opens. With Void Ark you can run it over and over it to get a drop at the end (as well as get 200 armor) to upgrade your esoteric gear from 200 to 210. Oh, you get even more tomestomes as well.

You can also unlock the level 50 and level 60 roulettes for more tomestones, but those require you to run a bunch of dungeons individually first. (I haven't gotten this far yet.)

You will need to be at least iLevel 180 to complete the Main Story in 3.2.

The only minor stumbling block is a second ring, but if you do the Alexander: Gordias raid (first four) you have a chance for a drop that you can trade in for a iLevel 190 ring.
Thanks, good to see they simplified gear progression to easily catch up to Heavensward. I don't mind doing the MSQ, I like the story so far.

I'm guessing these sidequests that grant gear are easy to find?

Ken

ffxiv_03162016_064903_zpsr8cveslv.png

solo queue too heavy even for rum

iammeiam

Thanks, good to see they simplified gear progression to easily catch up to Heavensward. I don't mind doing the MSQ, I like the story so far.

I'm guessing these sidequests that grant gear are easy to find?

The MSQ will guide you through the HW zones in order, and the side quests will be in the appropriate areas. It's worth noting that while you can replace gear by doing all the side quests, you don't really have to upgrade every single slot every time a side quest pops up. You'll potentially be getting dungeon drops that are just as good/better, and skipping an upgrade tier on a slot or two won't kill you so you can do side quests or not as you go.

Basically when you hit 60 it'll be time to start focusing on your gear level, but up until that point you don't have to worry.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
8 vs 8 feast is awful.
Or rather the map is awful?
Or maybe it's just that people seem to hate MCH.

It's also kinda hard when people don't recognize that the caster picked up the defensive buff and we should focus healer instead, or that the tank now has 9 stacks of heavy medal and should probably be taken down.

Omni

I got Seph Ex to 6% yesterday. My recording of that one didn't work, but here is another one where we got to 30 something. Anywho, there's just one part that feels kinda weird to me healing. When the storm thing spawns, the party is taking so much AoE damage and the tanks need to be topped up completely for the hits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbwr8l5N04Q

At the 7 minute mark. My bubble was slightly in the wrong spot (panicked I guess? Haha), but is there something else we should be doing there? It seems hard to keep up. It's not like I haven't got past that bit of course, but it seems kinda touchy. I guess I could have saved Divine Seal as when I used it was a waste. Hmmm.
Also don't mind me not DPS if you watch all of it. For these extreme trials it's not something I do unless it's required or I've cleared previously

One-shot my Midas loot today \o/. Just need 3 more weeks of A8 and that's all I'll ever go back in there.

Until they make us grind it two million times for the next step of the relic again

BadRNG

Note I am tank, I don't know what the hell WHMs do other than taunt me with benediction animations when I die.

Was the 6% due to enrage? You can get a decent amount of extra dps if your DRK stops spending the entire final phase in Grit, there's really no reason for that. Even if he's tanking all the da'ats he can just switch it on for those. It's hard to see but your tanks CDs there in general looked off? The DRK took (what looked like) 14k from wall, the WAR took 18k. That is too high if they are actually using cooldowns. IIRC tower does 14k with just Grit, might be remembering wrong but shouldn't be far from that.

And as noted by someone in your party at end, killing the adds with LB at same time as aoe/towers at start is a lot of extra burst. We always just had the melee LB3 one shot the wind add and everyone else continued dpsing Seph, going to adds in between aoes, but ranged LB should still be fine just need to be careful what is caught in it if doing it form start.

PowerTaxi

Banned
8 vs 8 feast is awful.
Or rather the map is awful?
Or maybe it's just that people seem to hate MCH.

It's also kinda hard when people don't recognize that the caster picked up the defensive buff and we should focus healer instead, or that the tank now has 9 stacks of heavy medal and should probably be taken down.

I got completely ignored during the few matches I played.

ebil

I got Seph Ex to 6% yesterday. My recording of that one didn't work, but here is another one where we got to 30 something. Anywho, there's just one part that feels kinda weird to me healing. When the storm thing spawns, the party is taking so much AoE damage and the tanks need to be topped up completely for the hits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbwr8l5N04Q

At the 7 minute mark. My bubble was slightly in the wrong spot (panicked I guess? Haha), but is there something else we should be doing there? It seems hard to keep up. It's not like I haven't got past that bit of course, but it seems kinda touchy. I guess I could have saved Divine Seal as when I used it was a waste. Hmmm.
Also don't mind me not DPS if you watch all of it. For these extreme trials it's not something I do unless it's required or I've cleared previously

Until they make us grind it two million times for the next step of the relic again
The main culprit here is a poor choice of tank CDs for the towers (LD never even goes off because your DRK isn't even tanking anything at that point, no IB but Thrill+Conva - your WAR should have switched Vengeance and Thrill). You could have regen'd the WAR beforehand and used Tetra while dodging but that's about it. I don't use Asylum here.

Also, an AOE LB at this time is a lot of extra pressure on the healers, your DRG almost died again from the Binahs exploding. My first clear involved our BLM LBing everything and then I just asked we stopped doing this as it was pretty unnecessary (and very scary).

Squishy3

finished the AAR 2.0 story on my tank and got my i level 90 armor .

Prepare thy butt, Thordan.

Rydia is on her way .

ffxiv_15032016_2251043lut6.jpg
He'll see you in 25+ hours, probably.

Edit: Lol, switched my FC house music back to Papaya and someone thanked me because what it was previously set to was too epic for the act of making armor for their retainer.

Levito

Banned
Out of curiosity: how many of you were big into Final Fantasy fan before jumping into XIV, and how many of you were just MMO players with no real connection to the franchise?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity: how many of you were big into Final Fantasy fan before jumping into XIV, and how many of you were just MMO players with no real connection to the franchise?

There's other FF games?! I thought the XIV was just an emoji of Tanaka laughing.

aceface

I'm pretty much only playing this game because I was a big Final Fantasy fan- never played an MMO before this one.

Error

I've played every FF only ones, of the SP games, I didn't finish were 2 and 13. In the case of 11 I stopped playing around the time of Chains of Promathia.

DMiz

Hi all!

Still loving this game. I was wondering if there are any GAF players who roll on Brynhildr?

I'm already in an FC that I enjoy being in the company of, but would also love to meet some of you guys and help out (even if it's just to help speed along your duty queue!) :D

I'm a 60 NIN, primarily, but have a 60 DRK and 52 WHM waiting in the wings.

Wilsongt

Never was a big MMO fan. FFXIV is the only one I really play. Been playing Final Fantasy since I was like... 5. Am 30 now.

Guess Who

Banned
tfw haven't played since december, jump in for the free login period, catch up on 3.2 story, unlock stone sky sea, dove straight into the a3s dummy and beat it in one try

tumblr_mdd00yCh751rbzwczo1_500.gif

Omni

Seph Ex cleared!

Fun fight. Said it before but I definitely think Thordan (was) harder. Still, rather enjoyable. Now I can farm for those i220 weapons so that they can be replaced in three weeks. xD

Demoskinos

Eh, depends. If you're getting focused down then that leaves the other DPS and healer free to assist you while your tank should be harassing the enemy healer which probably turns it into a game of how well can you survive bursts (the healer should be able to easily keep you up outside of Full Swing + buff periods) while sneaking out as much damage with your other DPS as you can. The tank is really the only one who can peel off you but getting the enemy healer away is more important than trying to buy you like 2 hardcasts.

I do dread getting BLMs in solo queue though since they seem to take a ton of effort to actually be useful.

It is. Almost thinking of leveling my SMN since its just so easy to run around throwing DoT on people. But when it works BLM is extremely satisfying.

Was Summoner that powerful in the Feast? Haven't tried it yet but I remember how annoying they could be in Seal Rock but there were ways to deal with them.

Played 9 mainline games and a few spin offs, on the mmo front I played psu and maple story and didn't stay longer than a month in either.

After taking a break since August I'm itching to get back to XIV but gotta wait till I'm finished with classes for the semester, hoping the next patch will be out by May or June.

Top Bottom