• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

Out of curiosity: how many of you were big into Final Fantasy fan before jumping into XIV, and how many of you were just MMO players with no real connection to the franchise?
Before I was introduced to FFXIV, I thought Final Fantasy was a series of fighting games (think Street Fighter) that were overly milked for some reason. That's how much attention I paid. So yeah. Haha.

Also before XIV, I had never played an MMO. This has kinda been a first for me on both fronts. Honestly has surprised me how much I've enjoyed playing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
c3dGaeD.jpg

"We're not so different, you and I."

PowerTaxi

Banned
In the latest edition of "I should probably uninstall", I did the impossible in A5. I hit a bomb backwards.

Was standing on the correct side of the bomb to hit it to the opposite side of the room but it somehow went towards the tank.

Demoskinos

Out of curiosity: how many of you were big into Final Fantasy fan before jumping into XIV, and how many of you were just MMO players with no real connection to the franchise?

I've played every final fantasy in some capacity other than FFXII. As for MMOs FFXI was my first and last MMO until XIV rolled around. I've dabbled in other MMOs but nothing else besides the Final Fantasy ones felt like home to me.

iammeiam

With the first round of PVP adjustments coming tonight, it does seem like they're reacting to things quicker.

...or intentionally releasing stuff with fixes already planned to make them look more responsive.

I should maybe Feast at some point, but I don't want to have to map PVP skills.

Jayhawk

With the first round of PVP adjustments coming tonight, it does seem like they're reacting to things quicker.

...or intentionally releasing stuff with fixes already planned to make them look more responsive.

I should maybe Feast at some point, but I don't want to have to map PVP skills.

2 years later, Angary Fays finally decides to PvP. What is happening?!

So torn on lore gear right now. Not really a big fan of what they did to MNK. As far as I can tell between Lore and Savage gear not one piece has Crit + Det on it. Not really big into savage either so it looks like I'll be drowning in skill speed and losing more DET.

My only hope right now is that Void Ark v2 will introduce decent 230 gear to help make up for lacking stats... for the left side anyway. I've been seriously considering rerolling as a DRG (but I think they're having it almost as bad) or gear up my MCH and just hoarding all my Lore tomes until I get DRG to 60.

iammeiam

2 years later, Angary Fays finally decides to PvP. What is happening?!

They removed the rank requirement from the unicorn set is what happened, and Feast matches are only going to be 8 minutes. Possibly I could just spend the whole time spamming Aspected Benefic and looking confused.

Zomba13

Massive FF fan though had my fill of XIII after the first game. Loved FFXI during the times I played it and even played some of FFXIV 1.0 (enough to become a legacy member) but never really got into it. Played a bunch of other MMO games but liked FFXI the most and currently FFXIV.

I played like all of them before Final Fantasy XIV besides XI. I never had any MMO connections at all but I always remained a huge final fantasy fan. Literally, the only reason I started playing FF XIV is that one of my friends invited me to play in the summer. It actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth how people play this game without liking the actual series though, especially if they find the main series weird. I also had a group in the Antitower that didn't know where the Calcabrina boss was from :(

Valor

I've been a pretty big Lightning fan for a while. It's the main reason I jumped over to XIV, but she hasn't been back in a while. I'm beginning to feel uneasy.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not a huge FF fan. Played Crisis Core along with most of 9 and 5.

Trying to play through 7 right now and not enjoying the beginning too much.

I've played all of them from IV onwards except "The After Years", which I own, and XIII-3, which I also own. I've beaten most of them as well.

I did play FFXI - back on PS2, but I gave up at level 53 because the quests to get AF and to 75 were such a pain and the economy was at the height of RMT madness.

<- Was actually my FFXI character name (on Phoenix), who knows if it's still around.

Squishy3

I've tried most every MMO, but this is the only one where I've actually stuck around longer than a few months. Big FF fan too, so that probably helps.

The money keeps flowing to SE:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001417.html

Fat Cats for days.

Only frickin SE would do this:
https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...fantasy-xiv-original-soundtrack-sleeve-reward

A sleeve. For the HW OST. That you can buy separately with your SE rewards points.

Oh dang, I haven't checked their rewards page since the old SE Members thing went bye-bye. Does anyone have this or any insight into the quality of this: https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...-of-eorzea-a-realm-reimagined-art-book-reward

Was thinking about maybe using my points on it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The money keeps flowing to SE:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001417.html

Fat Cats for days.

Only frickin SE would do this:
https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...fantasy-xiv-original-soundtrack-sleeve-reward

A sleeve. For the HW OST. That you can buy separately with your SE rewards points.

Oh dang, I haven't checked their rewards page since the old SE Members thing went bye-bye. Does anyone have this or any insight into the quality of this: https://store.na.square-enix.com/pr...-of-eorzea-a-realm-reimagined-art-book-reward

Was thinking about maybe using my points on it.

I got that sleeve for free when I ordered the OST from CDJapan...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I got a cute minion and some armor for my mount for signing up for another 90 days. I'm just about done with the Kupo moogle delivery side quests. All 25 of them. Then it's off to the Beast Tribe side quest.

Squishy3

I was going to redeem my points for that sleeve.

Super Saver Shipping my ass, it's the same price as 2 day! I'm not paying $7.99 shipping for redeeming reward points, fuck that.

Cmagus

Super Saver Shipping my ass, it's the same price as 2 day! I'm not paying $7.99 shipping for redeeming reward points, fuck that.
I know right, I wanted to get that lanyard they have on the store with my points and to Canada it was 11.99 us shipping lol.

I kind of want that goobue pillow.

Teknoman

Final Fantasy all day, every day (especially pre X) and its what got me into MMOs. Well those with story / expansive and really detailed art styles.

BadRNG

Don't agree with the medal change, tanks being tough but forcing you to fight them was one of the good things about the mode. It actually differentiated tanks from less-powerful dps. Makes sense I guess if they want to speed up matches but still not huge on the change.

That cast time change going to be huge, but I am not sure if it will actually make healers easier to play? Doesn't this just encourage everyone focusing them ASAP, the exact opposite of what they say they want. Healing is just too strong per GCD to ever want to not lock their casts up.

also yay DRK buffs, didn't expect that, wonder what they will give us. Their PvP skills are definitely lackluster compared to PLD/WAR, especially if goal is for tanks to be support/cc.

Jayhawk

I'll take the silence as a "no one knows"

What exactly are you trying to measure? The SSS dps requirements for healers are pretty low, and your actual split between dps cast time and heal cast time is dependent on your other healer, plus sources of MP regeneration through a raid fight will also be a factor. Hitting a dummy as a SCH and asking if this is good enough doesn't capture what it means to be a Scholar. FF Logs has data on what Scholars have been able to achieve in raids in terms of dps and hps. When you look at a specific instance of a SCH's DPS, you have to look at how much healing they did and what their healing partner did. You also have to account for all the Scholars being the Gorillas in A5S.

http://www.fflogs.com/rankings/10#boss=26&class=Global&spec=Scholar

ebil

I'll take the silence as a "no one knows"
Didn't answer because you're never realistically pulling 1.2k sustained DPS in a raid environment outside of something like A2s (and definitely not in A5 if you're on gorilla duty), or you might as well use a real DPS anyway.

SCH DPS is highly situational and is more about finding the right DPS windows than doing a perfect rotation (healer rotations are pretty straightforward anyway so it's not like there's a ton of room for improvement). For a dummy parse 1.2k sounds good. This is in line with what I pull off in expert dungeons where there's barely anything to heal at all.

Squishy3

Don't agree with the medal change, tanks being tough but forcing you to fight them was one of the good things about the mode. It actually differentiated tanks from less-powerful dps. Makes sense I guess if they want to speed up matches but still not huge on the change.
I think the issue is that it didn't stop people from never going after the people with large amounts of medals and instead just repeatedly going after people with piddly amounts of medals.

Jeels

Ya what the hell, was not expecting 8 dollar shipping for what's supposed to be a free reward.

That goodbue plush...!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So I decided to turn on the mount music, to see what played when I was using the magitek armor as mount... OMG Terra's theme. Didn't expect that at all, so cooooool.

Top Bottom